Purchased CPO 2016 T6 XC90, having doubts
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Purchased CPO 2016 T6 XC90, having doubts

First post here, longtime lurker, been driving Volvos for 20 years. Two months ago I purchased a CPO 2016 T6 XC90 Inscription with 36k miles that came off lease. Clean CarFax, looked into the service history and it was just oil changes and a battery replacement, car drove great and is in great condition. Two weeks after purchase I had to have front rotors replaced (under warranty), thought yeah that's common, no big deal. Then I had a VOC error message, took it to the Dealer and they replaced a battery that was failing (specific to the VOC system, I didnt ask for more details). Then comes the big one - Turned car on 10 days ago and the CEL came on. I waited a few days to see of it would clear itself and it didn't so I brought it into the dealer 5 days ago. They diagnosed the problem as a "supercharger leak, and all the spark plugs need to be replaced." My wife was the one who brought the car in so she didn't ask anything beyond that. The Dealer gave her a loaner S90 (which is great) and she was on her way. They said it may take a few days, and after they fix the issue they wanted to test it to make sure nothing else came up.

My Question - I have searched all the SPA platform forums, and other than something about a supercharger resonator leak, I have found nothing in regards to this issue. Has anyone on here heard about a "supercharger leak?" The car has been with them for 5 days, and every time I get an update they say they are still working on it. I have looked at my VOC app and the car hasn't moved since the day I dropped it off. I have confidence in the dealer service dept., but I'm starting to get worried about these issues that are popping up. The first 2 problems were no big deal in my mind, but this one seams to be pretty serious. Any thoughts out there from the community? We sold my wifes 2013 T6 XC60 since it was getting up there in mileage, but I'm now questioning whether getting a 2016 XC90 was the right move here...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Been at the dealer for nearly one week now, they are "still working on it." They said, "well any repair to the supercharger takes a while." I'm thankful that at least I have a loaner, it doesn't seem as if I will get my car back anytime soon based on the dealers replies. Any techs on this forum heard of supercharger leak issues? Thanks in advance for any insight.

I'll update this thread when I receive any real info, as I'm sure people looking into reliability may be curious. Although due to the lack of supercharger problem posts, this issue may be more of an outlier.

Just want to update this issue: Code for misfire cylinder 2, dealer noted old spark plugs were in engine. Replaced all spark plugs and fuel injector for #2.

Smoke test on supercharger prompted them to remove it. They basically replaced a ton of gaskets until they think they had it. We picked the car up on Monday, and then yesterday - check engine light again. Back to the dealer this morning. I’m wondering if the entire supercharger needs to be replaced at this point, assuming it’s the same issue. Who knows, maybe it’s something new, how exciting!

Gotta say, I’d never want to own this vehicle out of warranty. My service department is just as sick of me as I am of them. I love this car when it’s working properly, but man this is getting old. Fourth trip to the dealer iin 2.5 months of ownership, not really happy.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

At least the spark plugs are replaced with new parts now. Those old plugs could become bombs any time. One more example of missed car from those spark plug service campaign.

Supercharge leak seems not a difficult thing as it is on intake side and they can smoke test it. Anyhow give them some time...

I have a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader. I can read the code and get some idea. So I will not be that surprised or frustrated when CEL is on.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-29-2019 at 01:13 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Itís odd the spark plugs would be old - there had been a recall campaign for early 2016 and some 2017 XC90 (although not sure which VIN ranges and itís possible yours may not have needed them) for fear certain plugs would shrapnel. The supercharger leak message is unusual. Yours is the first mention of such an issue in the forums. The upside of CPO is you have a generous warranty on it. The downside is its history may not be fully known. I hope the dealer can resolve it promptly for you and youíll be able to move on from this early bad luck.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      Itís odd the spark plugs would be old - there had been a recall campaign for early 2016 and some 2017 XC90 (although not sure which VIN ranges and itís possible yours may not have needed them) for fear certain plugs would shrapnel. The supercharger leak message is unusual. Yours is the first mention of such an issue in the forums. The upside of CPO is you have a generous warranty on it. The downside is its history may not be fully known. I hope the dealer can resolve it promptly for you and youíll be able to move on from this early bad luck.
      Maybe the dealer who serviced the vehicle didn't pay attention to the spark plug technical journal / service action. Either way, he has the updated plugs. Now to have all his other issues troubleshooterd.

Update - One week later and we have our car back. CEL due to air system too lean. They performed smoke test on intake, discovered leak in oil trap and oil cap/seal. Replaced oil trap and gasket, along with O2 sensors (just for good measure according to SA). So all in all - 2 leaks from intake side and old faulty spark plugs were the issues. I guess things like this just happen, but I'm pissed about the old style plugs being left in on a "CPO" vehicle, that "180 Point Inspection" smells like pure BS to me. As always, buyer beware, at least its all under warranty.

There have been a couple of threads here lately indicating that Volvo needs to do a lot more to reliably C their POs.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

PSA: Don't buy a 2016 version, even a CPO. I preach this all the time. Get a 2017 or newer, please. There's a reason why they say "Don't buy a first year model."
      (In before everyone who got lucky and received a 'perfect' 2016 model.)

Sorry for your purchase OP. I'm sure it will all work out in the end but you'll need to deal with the repairs.
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

The spark plug service campaign was likely already done before the CPO inspection. They replaced them because of the misfire. If you send me the VIN, I can check to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      PSA: Don't buy a 2016 version, even a CPO. I preach this all the time. Get a 2017 or newer, please. There's a reason why they say "Don't buy a first year model."
      (In before everyone who got lucky and received a 'perfect' 2016 model.)

Sorry for your purchase OP. I'm sure it will all work out in the end but you'll need to deal with the repairs.
      I'm currently at the tail end of the long episode with my NON-CPO MY16 XC90 (spark plug came apart, damaged part of the engine) and while Volvo took care of me, I can feel OP's pain on this. I must say, from 17K to 52K, it was trouble free for me and I didn't buy CPO. However, the only thing I would do differently would be to buy CPO. You need that mfg backed warranty or extended warranty.

I did talk to an indie Volvo mechanic about my situation and he was quick to say that this issue has complicated as hell and has a lot of known issues tho he didn't specifically mention anything about the supercharger. Heck, I'm getting new pistons because of a TJ.

Best of luck to the OP. Since the OP's car is CPO until 60K miles at least, the situation will be a lot easier vs. trying to appeal for good will support.
      Last edited by omnimax; 10-08-2019 at 12:15 PM.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      Wasn't a recall it was a Service Bulletin. Recall would mean a letter was sent to all eligible owners. Volvo simply waited until an owner came in to replace plugs. So if people stopped servicing at Volvo, they may still be running the old plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
      Update - One week later and we have our car back. CEL due to air system too lean. They performed smoke test on intake, discovered leak in oil trap and oil cap/seal. Replaced oil trap and gasket, along with O2 sensors (just for good measure according to SA). So all in all - 2 leaks from intake side and old faulty spark plugs were the issues. I guess things like this just happen, but I'm pissed about the old style plugs being left in on a "CPO" vehicle, that "180 Point Inspection" smells like pure BS to me. As always, buyer beware, at least its all under warranty.
      It's total B.S at some dealers and genuine at others. Dishonest Dealers often just slap on the CPO and send the car out the door. Figuring if there's problems, the new owner will bring it in, and they can get paid for work. Whereas, they have to pay a tech to do the whole CPO process on the up and up.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Wasn't a recall it was a Service Bulletin. Recall would mean a letter was sent to all eligible owners. Volvo simply waited until an owner came in to replace plugs. So if people stopped servicing at Volvo, they may still be running the old plugs.
      Yeah, the owner needed to bring the car into the dealer for another service and they would replace the plugs at the same time. Volvo explicitly started they will NOT notify customers about the spark plug SR.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

Quote Originally Posted by omnimax View Post
      Yeah, the owner needed to bring the car into the dealer for another service and they would replace the plugs at the same time. Volvo explicitly started they will NOT notify customers about the spark plug SR.
      Yep, which means there are plenty of vehicles floating around that are ticking time bombs. Ideally, the owner would have gotten the car in at a 20 or 30K service, and plugs been replaced. But that's not always the case.

Some people drive a lot, so the 20 and 30K might have been exhausted rather quickly. And then the car goes to another mechanic for the remainder of its life. Which means if the plugs fail, Volvo hangs you out to dry. Luckily for you, we had a very strong case to get good will. 10-50K service visits had all been done at Volvo, so it was a matter of persistence and documentation, in your case.

An Open Recall would notify all owners of the potential failure and the vehicle could be brought in at any time for corrective action.

It wasn't a service bulletin either. It was a campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      It wasn't a service bulletin either. It was a campaign.
      Either way, only people bringing their car in for service would have gotten swap. So I have to imagine there's a fair number of vehicles out there who have yet to get replaced. As between 30K-59K owner would be at mercy of servicing at Volvo to have plugs swapped. Course at 60K, maintenance calls for a plug replacement.

The spark plug service campaign was likely already done before the CPO inspection. They replaced them because of the misfire. If you send me the VIN, I can check to confirm.
      That is interesting, is there a service campaign number or flyer that existed somewhere?

We purchased a 2016 CPO XC90 T8 with low miles (about 28k) not bad for a 3 year old car.

I want to look into this or should I wait until the 35k service? We just went over 30k a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Black Stone
      -Climate Package/ Dynamic Package

Future List :
      - Polestar upgrade/ Heicosportive Exterior & Interior/ Heicosportive BBK

Quote Originally Posted by itswentime View Post
      That is interesting, is there a service campaign number or flyer that existed somewhere?

We purchased a 2016 CPO XC90 T8 with low miles (about 28k) not bad for a 3 year old car.

I want to look into this or should I wait until the 35k service? We just went over 30k a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Service Action 29842.

Call your dealer with your VIN and they can see if it is open.

Service Action 29842.

Any idea why Volvo took a passive approach to spark plug replacement (swap out at service) instead of sending out flyers to affected customers notifying them of the issue?

Service Action 29842.

Any idea why Volvo took a passive approach to spark plug replacement (swap out at service) instead of sending out flyers to affected customers notifying them of the issue?
      Nope, not my department.

Nope, not my department.
      Gotcha. Guessing some number cruncher in back figured Recall / Flyer Campaign cost X. Replacing / Repairing damaged engines cost X. Proceed with replacement as Recall / Flyers more expensive. Usually how that works anyway.

Gotcha. Guessing some number cruncher in back figured Recall / Flyer Campaign cost X. Replacing / Repairing damaged engines cost X. Proceed with replacement as Recall / Flyers more expensive. Usually how that works anyway.
      Other than costs, in my understanding, manufacturers don't go for a recall unless its a safety hazard / issue for people which can be bigger problem to deal with. All the recalls I have seen till now are related to some sort of physical safety being at risk.
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + May 2019 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

Quote Originally Posted by chowdarygm View Post
      Other than costs, in my understanding, manufacturers don't go for a recall unless its a safety hazard / issue for people which can be bigger problem to deal with. All the recalls I have seen till now are related to some sort of physical safety being at risk.
      Everything has monetary value, including human health/life, yay capitalism. It's all factored into the risk/reward on how to handle issues be it recalls, TSBs, or whatever else - I assure you, having been in big business for a long time, someone somewhere has done the math and decided this is the best action, to include an attempted at calculating brand perception and the impact to it. If it's determined that a recall will save money in the grand scheme, it will generally be issued. Safety items often become recalls because the cost in future sales/lawsuits/etc outweigh the cost of the recall itself, in addition to whatever regulatory/legal requirements exist based on the country/state in question. It's crazy, but true.

I am wondering if they can deliver a message to the car and remind driver for this when car is started, just like a service reminder. They can roll out this message gradually so dealership is not flooded.

Much lower cost than snail mail.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by chowdarygm View Post
      Building on ormandj's statement, the engine being toast or needing rebuilt really isn't safety issue. Volvo probably figures if X percent or cars cost $8K to rebuild, it's still far cheaper than having to do a formal recall and mail out flyers. And even more strategic, Volvo only eats the cost of new plugs if an owner comes back for service or knows about the problem. Otherwise, Volvo completely pretends nothing is wrong and X percent of owners will never know otherwise, unless their plugs fail. So Volvo says X amount of money by feigning ignorance and hoping people ride out the plugs until their scheduled 60K maintenance when plug replacement is recommended.

The reason it isn't a recall is because it isn't a safety issue, that is correct. Why they decided not to notify owners is the part I don't know.

The reason it isn't a recall is because it isn't a safety issue, that is correct. Why they decided not to notify owners is the part I don't know.
      Because most will not fail before a replacement is done silently, and they avoid brand perception issues with the vast majority of owners who will never know this issue even existed. Most people who own cars are not on forums, and if the failure rate is low, would never see it/know of it UNLESS Volvo had a mail campaign. Brands tend to prefer to avoid telling their entire customer base they made a potentially catastrophic to your engine mistake unless it's absolutely necessary. It's way less expensive to have a few engines fail and replace them, and just swap plugs as cars come in silently to further reduce failure rates. Volvo can't afford brand perception issues triggered by mass notification of failing parts right now.
      2019 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription (Ice White/Blond interior): Advanced package, heated rear seats/steering wheel, 21" 8-spoke wheels, Bowers and Wilkins, and air suspension.

What I don't get is the dealer not replacing the plugs on a "CPO" vehicle before they sold it.
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      What I don't get is the dealer not replacing the plugs on a "CPO" vehicle before they sold it.
      We don't know that. I offered to check the VIN but never heard back. I bet the Service Action had already been done.

I just PMed Tech with my VIN, so let’s see what happens.

The spark plugs were not replaced as part of CPO because the Service Action did not apply to this car. For XC90s, it applies to chassis numbers 0000592-0068259 in 2016. His is 081352.

They replaced the spark plugs with this repair because of the failed injector. Pretty standard procedure. So calm down everyone.
      Last edited by Tech; 10-10-2019 at 05:09 PM.

The spark plugs were not replaced as part of CPO because the Service Action did not apply to this car. For XC90s, it applies to chassis numbers 0000592-0068259 in 2016. His is 081352.

They replaced the spark plugs with this repair because of the failed injector. Pretty standard procedure. So calm down everyone.
      Interesting, that’s not what was written in the service paperwork. Definitely said they replaced old style plugs with new ones, but they also replaced the injector, so sounds like my dealer service center was wrong. Can’t say I’m too surprised...

Not sure why they put that in the story. Maybe to make sure the claim gets covered. I've never had a problem replacing plugs under warranty when there's a misfire.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements