Any one else frustrated with all the part outs?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are any of you all annoyed with the sheer crazy amount of part outs going on right now on various FB groups? I've seen cars with great exteriors being parted out for stupid maintenance stuff like angle gears

I've been looking for a mechanically rough R for a year now and every single one I find ends up being parted out and scrapped LOL.

Seems like we've just begun sacrificing all the cars to keep 100 people happy at this point. Most of the parts people want can be had off of any P2 in the junkyard
      '09 S40 2.4i
      '04 XC70 2.5T
      '04 S60R M66

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How mechanically rough are you looking for?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rm81 View Post
      How mechanically rough are you looking for?

Pretty much anything honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '09 S40 2.4i
      '04 XC70 2.5T
      '04 S60R M66

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have one for sale that's a stick shift

Quote Originally Posted by Rm81 View Post
      I have one for sale that's a stick shift

Nice listing! Little too nice haha GLWS!

'09 S40 2.4i
      '04 XC70 2.5T
      '04 S60R M66

Yeah the part-outs are sad to see. But when someone with little money, or not the resources to fix these cars comes across the fact they are worth more parted then broken it's the way of the R world. I was lucky enough to pick up a parts R which I drove home 500 miles, now it's the spider mobile because it just sits out back and collects spiders haha. I though about making it a drag car until I need things out of it, but the angle gear is fairly new and the engine runs like a top, so I don't want to ruin anything on it.

These cars have depreciated enough that any major repair that you have to pay someone to do, costs more than the car is worth.

They are proper money pits to us, the enthusiasts!

Quote Originally Posted by ARATA View Post
      These cars have depreciated enough that any major repair that you have to pay someone to do, costs more than the car is worth.

That is the dumbest measure of value ever. Any car is only worth scrap value if it needs repair. What is the cost of REPLACING the car?

I went through this when I used to play with VWs. Couldn't find any A2 chassis Golfs to play with, because lazy VW people were like "eh.... it needs an oil change... and one of the tires is low... better part it out" about five years earlier, so the only A2s left were like $3000 even if there were complete POSs.
      '06 S60 R GT (224k and counting)
      '84 RX-7 rallycross champion domination-bucket
      '81 RX-7 ex-rallycross champion sunny day cruiser
      '73 RX-3 proto-rallycross-champion
      '86 VW Quantum Syncro turbo 2.3l 10v K24-7400 in progress

Unfortunately yes. You now have to pay more for the R. I am glad I was able to buy one a few years back. I will have her till the day I die. I will spend a ton of $$$$$$ restoring her. Somethings you just don’t get rid of if you love it enough.

To be honest, where are you going to find a caR that provides so much enjoyment? I stopped looking after I got MY05. I now have a c70 and that is almost as much fun with the top down.

05 VR GT Titanium Grey/Nordakp, sunroof, Winter Package, Premium sound with Volvo Sub. VST rear brace, Ultra Racing front strut brace.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterBD View Post
      Unfortunately yes. You now have to pay more for the R. I am glad I was able to buy one a few years back. I will have her till the day I die. I will spend a ton of $$$$$$ restoring her. Somethings you just don’t get rid of if you love it enough.

To be honest, where are you going to find a caR that provides so much enjoyment? I stopped looking after I got MY05. I now have a c70 and that is almost as much fun with the top down.

Exactly. I own my R for 10 years and honestly, I began thinking to get something newer and more modern and hoped to stay with Volvo. I realized there is nothing on the market that I like more than R, except E63 S wagon probably. And now when wife handed me down XC90, R is slowly becoming "spider mobile" (funny name btw). V90 doesn't get me excited and I don't like XC90 but we have too much neg value to get rid of it... So I guess, R is gonna be a weekend car, even I don't think it's practical. At least I have a chance to fix all small things and still have a XC90 as DD.

p.s. and when it became eligible for the "antique" plate I will sell it for mucho dinero. More cars parted out, rarer it becomes ... So go ahead guys, chop them up
      Last edited by Papa_Kirlo; 09-21-2019 at 04:09 PM.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Missed one a little while back, and a salvage place has a good VR for sale that has nothing wrong with it except for missing 2 rims - and it's a wagon with a six-speed - so "no one wants it" - blessedly he hasn't started ripping parts off it yet, and I keep talking to him about buying it... but talking mama into it is another thing... even so - they are out there, and this is going to be one of those things like several other cars I've been around - soon there will be darn few...

Still looking around for a hard top C70 and a P1 awd to pull the chassis out from under to put in said C70... One of these years...
      2004 S60R Silver, Nordkap, (Currently Dipped Swedish Flag) 18" Enkei RSF5's, FMIC, Snabb MAF to turbo, IPD catback, BC Coilovers, this is Volvo #16
      1st Car - 1965 122S Amazon! A Volvo saved my life - 9/12/94
      My Office Chair is Atacama!

Yes, so many being parted out its sad, and the market sucks with price gouging. Just came from looking at parts on ebay. There are nearly mint looking Rs thats are being parted at salvage yards.
      2005 S60R | DRag 18" DR34, ET40 (838) | 235 Thunderer Mach IV 302 | Delrin | PowerStop | Eibach | Fixed/replaced everything at my shop, just rolled 185k, like new. Original engine, trans, & drivetrain.

im extremely happy with the amount of part outs. mine will soon be one of the lowest mileage examples left.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

That is the truth!

I want to acquire another parts R... can't have enough spare parts...
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

If you want to be sick about partouts, try to find an E36 M3. I'd love to find a cheap/ratty but complete one to run in SCCA RallyCross, but it seems like if they are under $5000 they get the interior parted out and turned into a track rat, which is about twelve months from being scrapped.
      '06 S60 R GT (224k and counting)
      '84 RX-7 rallycross champion domination-bucket
      '81 RX-7 ex-rallycross champion sunny day cruiser
      '73 RX-3 proto-rallycross-champion
      '86 VW Quantum Syncro turbo 2.3l 10v K24-7400 in progress

It's all cars which have expensive upkeep of some sort. If you want to find a pontiac grand prix GTP, they are everywhere because cheap maintenance. Want a corvette C4, everywhere because cheap maintenance.
      Once you get into the Venn diagram of old luxury )( affordable purchase price for the masses, you'll see them getting parted out.

Yup, just had my Indie do $3,500 of work and I am certain I couldn't get that for her, but whatever. Where else can I find a car like my V70R? Maybe when I win the lotto I will buy the new RS6 Avant
      Last edited by surfsd; 09-22-2019 at 04:31 PM.
      06 V70R Sonacama 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by Noosy Cricket View Post
      That is the dumbest measure of value ever.
      Dumbest but TRUE especially if your someone who has to pay for labor for the repairs. Scrap value and parts value are two different things.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 50K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 70k

I'm saving one as we speak. Though may be a partout depending on the state of the output shaft on the M66. We shall see in a couple of days.

2007 V70R GT Electric Silver/Nordkap
      2005 XC70 It's got HIDs yo.
      2006 S60R Black Sapphire M66

Part all of them out

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Would love to see more Rs in the yards I pick at
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 145k mi

Here’s one. Apparently everything was fine with it. But I guess it needed a front fascia. Head is already off the engine. Chassis high mileage, engine/trans only 100k...

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...984673552.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Where are all these part outs at? I need some parts ....lol. Angle gear needs replacing.
      Last edited by S60inToronto; 01-10-2020 at 10:06 AM.
      2006 S60R GT - SNABB Turbo Intake Pipe, Eurosport Mototec Cold Air, IPD R Boost Gage with ViVA vent pod, Rear upper brace, JL Audio Amp and 10" Sub

On the one hand, it's unfortunate that perfectly good cars are getting parted out for trivial issues. On the other hand, as the owner of a fully optioned Sonic 07 M66, I have to smile knowing that every partout increases the value of my car.

yep, the more part-outs they are, the less are on the road. And that's already considering the limited initial production numbers of R's and those that have been crashed and lost
      2007 S60R Sonic Blue/Nordkap GT, ~50k miles
      1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Polar White, ~200k miles (previous car)

I love my VR. I try to place myself in another car as a thought and I can't do it, for the cost and fun and (to me) exclusivity. I know it will probably happen one day, but enjoying it as much as I can until then. I'm with Tony - where are these R's being parted out? I'd love to find one at my local yards...
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by mobeus View Post
      On the one hand, it's unfortunate that perfectly good cars are getting parted out for trivial issues. On the other hand, as the owner of a fully optioned Sonic 07 M66, I have to smile knowing that every partout increases the value of my car.
      Alex kills a R once a month. So sad.
      05 XC70R Ice White
      06 V70R GT TiGrey/Gobi

Sold & missed: 05 V70R M66 Saffhire Black/Nordkap

Quote Originally Posted by youropeen View Post
      I'm saving one as we speak. Though may be a partout depending on the state of the output shaft on the M66. We shall see in a couple of days.

Let me know how that goes for you Ron, I may need a cheap m66 to do a quaife in. I'm doing a sex change on Chris' former wagon.

Shifting gears, I'm saving all of my Rs... I paid 46k for my VR in 04 and just dropped some major $$ to replace the 4C and the majority of the suspension components. Car drives great for 300k.

PSA: The quality of folks on FB is directly proportional to the depreciated value of the car.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martynunya View Post

Let me know how that goes for you Ron, I may need a cheap m66 to do a quaife in. I'm doing a sex change on Chris' former wagon.

Shifting gears, I'm saving all of my Rs... I paid 46k for my VR in 04 and just dropped some major $$ to replace the 4C and the majority of the suspension components. Car drives great for 300k.

PSA: The quality of folks on FB is directly proportional to the depreciated value of the car.

Im getting a quaife done in my m66 this spring as well. Ever driven one with it? Im really excited.

Quote Originally Posted by martynunya View Post

Output shaft was in fantastic shape. I've been driving it for a couple of months now. I just need to replace the 4C and get some fog lights and mechanically it will be 100% I went through the whole thing.
      2007 V70R GT Electric Silver/Nordkap
      2005 XC70 It's got HIDs yo.
      2006 S60R Black Sapphire M66

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighR View Post
      Im getting a quaife done in my m66 this spring as well. Ever driven one with it? Im really excited.
      I haven't yet, but I have one installed and I'm just waiting on getting the engine reinstalled. More to follow.

Output shaft was in fantastic shape. I've been driving it for a couple of months now. I just need to replace the 4C and get some fog lights and mechanically it will be 100% I went through the whole thing.
      That's good news!

Funny I was just thinking this today. My 04 was in such beautiful shape (besides the paint on the passengers side, which wasn't too bad) and now I have to part it out. It angers me when I see any car being parted out, not just R's, that have mechanic or cosmetic issues that could be repaired in a weekend. With the internet, you would think people would GOOGLE how to fix a problem, instead of opening Craigslist and posting a partout.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

While searching for parts for my silver 05 S60 AWD on car-par.com I found a twin to my 07 S60R Magic Blue/ Nordkap. I couldn't believe how nice the pictures looked with no noticeable collision damage. The engine and auto transmission were also inventoried for sale so I couldn't figure out why it was in the yard. The yard does not allow self service picking but they escorted me out to look it over. I was happily surprised to see that the body panels and interior were nearly perfect. I went back to the sales counter and gave them a list of everything I wanted, left front fender, left front door, right rear door, left front carpet section, and both front seats. It took them a while to get everything out as they had to battle with the passenger seat, and ended up hacking the wiring. When I pulled my truck up to the pickup area I was horrified to find the body parts looked like they were dragged on the ground from the yard into the building!!! I immediately got my credit card refunded but was still sick to my stomach about what had happened. I wish that I had the room in my yard to put the whole car, but that would upset too many people.
      2007 S60R GT, Magic Blue/Nordkap
      2005 S60 AWD, Silver/Black
      2001 C70 Coupe HPT, Black/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyvette View Post
      While searching for parts for my silver 05 S60 AWD on car-par.com I found a twin to my 07 S60R Magic Blue/ Nordkap. I couldn't believe how nice the pictures looked with no noticeable collision damage. The engine and auto transmission were also inventoried for sale so I couldn't figure out why it was in the yard. The yard does not allow self service picking but they escorted me out to look it over. I was happily surprised to see that the body panels and interior were nearly perfect. I went back to the sales counter and gave them a list of everything I wanted, left front fender, left front door, right rear door, left front carpet section, and both front seats. It took them a while to get everything out as they had to battle with the passenger seat, and ended up hacking the wiring. When I pulled my truck up to the pickup area I was horrified to find the body parts looked like they were dragged on the ground from the yard into the building!!! I immediately got my credit card refunded but was still sick to my stomach about what had happened. I wish that I had the room in my yard to put the whole car, but that would upset too many people.
      They pulled panels for a waiting customer that had already paid and scratched the hell out of them between where it was parked in the office and the main building? What the fork is wrong with people? That’s just messed up!
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast