To those who replaced the Pirelli Scorpion Tires with Michelin Premier LTX...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

... how have the tires held up over time and are you happy with the quality? I'm at 22K miles on my XC90 and two of the tires are already near 4/32". I'm hoping the Michelins ride a bit quieter and last a bit longer. I have 21" wheels, so the only choices are the original Pirellis or the Michelin Premier LTX. I was warned by two different shops that the Michelins won't last anywhere near the 60K miles they are warrantied for and that frequent rotation is recommend. This, of course, goes against Volvo's recommendation to not rotate tires. On my current Pirelli's, the fronts are worn down to about 4/32" and 5/32". The rears are about 7/32". Based on this, I'm going to start rotating every 6K miles or so. I was also told that the Pirellis are a better tire for handling, so I'm little worried the Michelins won't perform as well. From what I've read on these forums, most have been pretty happy with the Michelins though.

One other question: Did you bother to turn off your air suspension (auto leveling) before having the new tires installed? I've had a few flat repairs over the past two years and the installer just jacked the vehicle up like any other.

Thanks.
      2018 XC90 Inscription / Air Suspension / B & W / 21" OEM Wheels

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just replying so I can find this in 20,000 miles.

I would suggest, taking a look at tirerack.com there are a few tires. And they do their own testing. It may help you

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RYJS60 View Post
      I would suggest, taking a look at tirerack.com there are a few tires. And they do their own testing. It may help you
      Thanks for this! I knew TireRack had customer reviews (like every other web site), but I didn't realize they had their own testing videos. It seems these tires are very well-reviewed, with the exception of treadlife. However, with a 60K warranty, Michelin should provide pro-rated warranty compensation when it's time to buy new tires. My current Pirellis are loud and only lasted 22K miles, so I'm looking forward to another brand.

I will be replacing my OEM Pirelli’s in about three weeks.

I have it narrowed down to the Michelin Premier LTX or the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. I am mostly convinced that I will get the Michelin’s.

The tire guys and gals at Costco recommended the Michelin’s for All Season. They indicated that both brands and tire models wear prematurely as others have reported.

Apparently, the Michelin’s will wear more evenly throughout their road life whereas the “S” portion of the Conti’s will wear off fast - leaving only “W” (Wet) to wear down and then the “D” (Dry) and becoming noisier over time. All according to Costco who hire fairly experienced and knowledgeable tire professionals.

My challenge is that I hope to only to be in the cold and winter for two months out of the year which is why I am leaning towards All Season which I know some call No Season. Be that as it may, I do not want to be running Winter tires in 60° weather either - thinking AZ and SoCal.

Anyway, I share this not because I have the experience but I have been reading a lot of materials and reviews. I have yet to be disappointed with Michelin’s.

BTW and FWIW, Costco recommended Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 for winters.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 09-21-2019 at 09:54 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

i bought a set of michelin pilot sports 3 each for $135 from walmart.com the other day.. for that price i could care less

The nice thing about buying your tires from Costco is that they include rotation and balance for the life of the tire. That alone is worth something.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      The nice thing about buying your tires from Costco is that they include rotation and balance for the life of the tire. That alone is worth something.
      Discount Tire does too. They will also price match Costco.

I've had good luck with my local America's Tire store. When the Michelin tires on my 2007 XC90 wore out before the warrantied milage rating they had no issue prorating a discount if I purchased the same tires.
      2018 Volvo XC60 T6 Denim Blue
      2012 Fiat 500 Pop
      1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 A Code 4 speed
      1970 VW Beetle

The Michelin is, imho, a superior tyre in every respect other than it 'might' not last as long as the OEM Pirellis. That being said I've got about 25K miles on the original Pirellis, and I'll be replacing them with the Premiers before the bad weather starts. We have the Premiers on my wife's Jeep GC, and they are excellent.

I'll just chime in to say that I love my Conti DWS 06s.

They do wear a bit fast, but that's the classic trade-off of grip/agility vs economy/longevity.

I'm about 10k miles into them and the "S" is still visible.

Definitely quiter and softer ride over the stock Pirellis, but also seem to have more grip in the corners. Also, absolutely excellent wet traction. Decent winter traction as well, as long as you remember they are not a true low temperature compound tire (and drive accordingly, anticipating increased braking distances in adverse weather).
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

Also replaced my Pirellis with Continental DWS's. Will see how well they do this winter. Replaced the Pirellis at 25K.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD (traded for XC90)
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      The tire guys and gals at Costco recommended the Michelin’s for All Season. They indicated that both brands and tire models wear prematurely as others have reported.

All according to Costco who hire fairly experienced and knowledgeable tire professionals.
      1. They recommend what they sell.
      2. There are quite a few reports of people who had their rims scratched during tire install by those experienced and knowledgeable professionals (for the stores in the MSP area). Buy the tires from Tire Rack or elsewhere and go to Samaritan Tire to get them installed. While they have a mediocre tire selection, they do high quality work. It's the only place I trust to mount and balance my tires.

The DWS 06 tires are great in the snow (for an all season) and even better in rain. Overall better than the stock Pirelli tire. They're pretty quiet for the first few thousand miles but they do get loud like any other tire. It's unavoidable.

I have heard that the Premier LTX tires are surprisingly bad in the snow for some heavier SUVs. But if you have winter tires or you'll be elsewhere in the winter, that's not really a problem. They are likely to be the tires that replace my Pirellis.

Over time I came to the conclusion that after experimenting with different brands I keep returning to Michelin. XC has Continental 235/55 R19, don't remember the model, not sure if these were original as we got car used with 2x,xxx miles on it. It still has pretty decent tread left at current 46000 miles, but boy, they are soo loud. I noticed it from the beginning, and the sounds they make is really weird - is sounds like you are rolling on huge overinflated balloons, some kind of hollow ane echoing. Cannot wait to get rid of them.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Over time I came to the conclusion that after experimenting with different brands I keep returning to Michelin. XC has Continental 235/55 R19, don't remember the model, not sure if these were original as we got car used with 2x,xxx miles on it. It still has pretty decent tread left at current 46000 miles, but boy, they are soo loud. I noticed it from the beginning, and the sounds they make is really weird - is sounds like you are rolling on huge overinflated balloons, some kind of hollow ane echoing. Cannot wait to get rid of them.
      It's Continental CrossContact LX Sport. I replaced all four tires with Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ that was on sale for $136 a piece on amazon/walmart two weeks ago. The loud road noise is gone and the ride is a lot more quiet and better. It's my first time buying tires from amazon and shipped to Sears auto that partner with amazon. Sears scratched my Rims. Won't bring the car to Sears again.

Michelin tires are always my choice. However, I generally careless about the 60k or 80k miles wear claim from the manufacturers. At around 35k-40k miles or so, the tires are noisy as hell, irrespective to brand, and I had to get a new set even still plenty of tread left

We have had our XC90 for 10 years and have had may brands of tires, Michelin's, Yokohama Geolander's, Pirelli, etc. After having to replace the tires every year the rep at Discount Tire suggested the Yokohama
      YK-HTX tires which are made for heavier vehicles. So far I have been very happy with these and they are not wearing near as quickly as the others, may get 2-3 years out of them. They also told us that because the car is so heavy, the tires need to be rotated every 3,000 miles.

I recently replaced the Scorpions on my 2016 XC90 T8 Inscription with Michelin Premier LTX. My Pirellis had 32,000 miles on when I changed them, they were not completely done but they were getting noisy and one of them got a puncture so I took the opportunity to change them. I have done around 2,000 miles on the Michelins. Initial impressions are that they are quieter and smoother riding than the Pirellis but the handling is a little less sharp. I think it is a good trade off as the car is better at cruising than tearing up the curves. The Michelins were also about $100 per tire less than the Pirellis at Americas Tire. Pricing was pretty consistent across all of the outlets - Tirerack, Sam Club etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tanXC90 View Post
      It's Continental CrossContact LX Sport. I replaced all four tires with Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ that was on sale for $136 a piece on amazon/walmart two weeks ago. The loud road noise is gone and the ride is a lot more quiet and better. It's my first time buying tires from amazon and shipped to Sears auto that partner with amazon. Sears scratched my Rims. Won't bring the car to Sears again.
      Yes, thats what i have. You got a very good deal, I just looked and as3 in the same size as oem is about $250...
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Personally I tend to not worry about the warranty as I've never used it and haven't gotten close to the mileage on it. I mainly worry about handling and noise. I had vredestein on my TL before I got the Volvo and they were great tires. Grip was fantastic, handling in the corners were great and noise was almost nonexistent. Handled great in the snow too.

Michelin much better than Perellis

Quote Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
      ... how have the tires held up over time and are you happy with the quality? I'm at 22K miles on my XC90 and two of the tires are already near 4/32". I'm hoping the Michelins ride a bit quieter and last a bit longer. I have 21" wheels, so the only choices are the original Pirellis or the Michelin Premier LTX. I was warned by two different shops that the Michelins won't last anywhere near the 60K miles they are warrantied for and that frequent rotation is recommend. This, of course, goes against Volvo's recommendation to not rotate tires. On my current Pirelli's, the fronts are worn down to about 4/32" and 5/32". The rears are about 7/32". Based on this, I'm going to start rotating every 6K miles or so. I was also told that the Pirellis are a better tire for handling, so I'm little worried the Michelins won't perform as well. From what I've read on these forums, most have been pretty happy with the Michelins though.

One other question: Did you bother to turn off your air suspension (auto leveling) before having the new tires installed? I've had a few flat repairs over the past two years and the installer just jacked the vehicle up like any other.

Thanks.
      We had factory delivered Perellis and they wore out in 22000 miles despite rotation at every 5K. Replaced with Michelin Premier LTX. Immediately noticed quieter ride and are close to double mileage wear ( we're at 57,000 miles) - with alot tread remaining. We rotate every 5K. Air suspension was not turned off ever. As for handling, there is absolutely zero difference. We run our air suspension in comfort mode.

Michelin 22's also worn down, warranty request to replace

Quote Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
      ... how have the tires held up over time and are you happy with the quality?
      I was shocked to find out how quickly these tires have worn, and how often I need to rotate them to keep them safe. My tire shop informed me that this has been an issue and they'll submit the warranty paperwork when they're ready to be replaced, far ahead of 60K. My other volvo has the same tires (different size) and we didn't have an issue.

But here was the difference - at my Volvo shop when I went in for my free oil change, they had no clue about the tires themsleves, just that they were worn down and needed replacement, with the guy giving me attitude like I'm stupid about tires, even tho I was the one who did all the work to find the right replacement size for the 22's with the sizing calculator I found online. My tire shop (which I'm using because the Volvo shop simply can't compete) when I went in for a free rotation, proactively told me about the wear and the warranty history and his plan to submit the warranty request for me. He also noted that Michelin is going to be updating that tire lineup with something new soon.

I like the tires, I like the handling, and I'm hoping to stick with them thru the warranty.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription

I have a 2012 XC60 T6 size 235/60/18. I'm an Uber driver and chew through tires like a fat kid chews fudge rounds. I've never bothered with the hugely expensive brands. My uncle drives a 2011 Explorer with 255/50/20 and he went through the first set of premiers after just 22k miles, then the second set made it to 25k. Michelin capped the mileage warranty claim both times so he didn't get actual prorated cost. He now has Bridgestones, which he says are okay, but those Michelins were "the best tires I've ever had on any vehicle, but the treadwear is unacceptable!" The Explorer and XC90 are similar size and weight with similar tire size, so I'd imagine your results would be similar. NO 21" tire will last very long on a vehicle that heavy. I would focus instead on longer tread life warranty and a reputable installer to help you. I personally recommend any tire made by SRI (Sumitomo rubber industries which is comprised of OHTSU, Falken, and Sumitomo.) I had a set of Falkens on an old Accord and they absolutely transformed the thing. The last 2 sets on my XC60 have been the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02. They make a bit of noise, sure, but dry and wet traction is excellent, ride quality suits the car very well, and they lasted 48k of a 65k warranty and I got $24 back each in prorate. This made the new set $304 out the door, so you may decide you can turn the radio up a bit to drown out the extra noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidwin View Post
      i bought a set of michelin pilot sports 3 each for $135 from walmart.com the other day.. for that price i could care less
      Michelin Pilot sport 3 OR Michelin Latitude Sport 3 ?
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

I have a 2019 XC90 T6 Inscription with 21 inch wheels. I searched Costco.com but 20 inch tires were the largest size I could find. Has anyone been able to find 21 inch tires at Costco for their XC90?

The only 21” I could find for my XC60 were 255/40 R21 at Costco in Riverhead, NY. All of the CT Costco Tire Shops only offer 255/45 R20, no 21” tires available.

Fortunately it is only a ferry ride for me to get to it. Perhaps check a newer Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by tanXC90 View Post
      It's Continental CrossContact LX Sport. I replaced all four tires with Michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ that was on sale for $136 a piece on amazon/walmart two weeks ago. The loud road noise is gone and the ride is a lot more quiet and better.
      that's an insane deal if 19"+ but... pilot sport a/s 3+ is a car tire versus Premiere/Latitude are suv/truck tires with much stiffer sidewall. at least that's specifically what my long time tire shop folks told me. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      that's an insane deal if 19"+ but... pilot sport a/s 3+ is a car tire versus Premiere/Latitude are suv/truck tires with much stiffer sidewall. at least that's specifically what my long time tire shop folks told me. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
      The size is 235/55R19 for 19" Rims. I was about to buy Michelin defender from Costco, but saw this great deal for this specific size that matched OEM tires on amazon. So I bought the pilot sport a/s 3+ instead. Michelin is also running a $100 manufacture rebate for a set of 4 tires 19" or plus sizes from non wholesale clubs this month. I filled out the form as well. It doesn't matter whether I get that. After replacing the tires, it's so much quieter. The tire temperature control seems a lot better than the Conti OEM as well. After a long ride, the a/s 3 + tire pressure only increases 1-2 psi and the Conti tires inscresed 3-5 psi. My16 has the actual pressure readings on Sensus. The pilot sport a/s 3+ is designed for cars, but as long as the tire's size, load index and speed rating are the same or higher than the OEM tires, it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jchen7 View Post
      I have a 2019 XC90 T6 Inscription with 21 inch wheels. I searched Costco.com but 20 inch tires were the largest size I could find. Has anyone been able to find 21 inch tires at Costco for their XC90?
      My local Costco had no 21" tires either and for some reason their web site doesn't either. I went in to talk to them in person and they were able to pull them up on the computer though.

The part number of the Michelin Premier LTX in 275/40/21 is 1265540 and they were listed as $258.99 each plus installation (before any applicable promotions, like the $120 off purchase of four that just ended).

Thanks Krypttic! Just curious, what City/State are you in? I'm in Los Angeles and will head to the local Costco to see if they can pull up 21" tires on the in-store computer.

I also have the 21" wheels on my XC90 (no air suspension)....I had the Pirellis replaced for the Premier LTX when I hit around 10k miles on the car. The Pirellis developed a road force issue that could not be corrected and after two defective sets of Pirelli replacement tires (yes...two), I had them put the Michelins on, and I'd never go back.

The ride is MUCH smoother and more composed on the highway, and I actually think the tires handle significantly better than the Pirellis, ESPECIALLY in wet weather. The vehicle just seems more stable and predicable. The Michelins are definitely quieter, but I don't think the difference in noise level is that significant...based on what I read I was expecting silence compared to the Pirellis, but theres still some road noise. My personal opinion is that the stock Pirellis are a horrible tire for the 21" XC90 wheels given how narrow they are. The Michelins also just look and feel like a more solid, higher quality tire when you compare them side by side...sounds weird, but they do.

I only have 15k miles on the Michelins and don't notice any abnormal or excessive wear...but it's not something I really monitor. I'd rather have a tire that performs better over the tread life.

Coming from someone who's run both options on those 21" wheels, I feel the Michelins are a far superior choice for the car. And I think they also look better on the car too

Thanks Coppo110! Where did you purchase the Premier LTX 21 inch tires?

Can’t speak to the xc90, but will say that on my 2013 XC70, the OEM Pirelli was the worst tire ever! I think I barely got 25K. Im in Arizona. Currently on my third set of continental contacts. Great road tire, quite and comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by jchen7 View Post
      Thanks Krypttic! Just curious, what City/State are you in? I'm in Los Angeles and will head to the local Costco to see if they can pull up 21" tires on the in-store computer.
      I'm in Phoenix, AZ. The Discount Tire I purchased from actually had to transfer these in from CA as there were none in stock here.

Quote Originally Posted by coppo110 View Post
      I also have the 21" wheels on my XC90 (no air suspension)....I had the Pirellis replaced for the Premier LTX when I hit around 10k miles on the car. The Pirellis developed a road force issue that could not be corrected and after two defective sets of Pirelli replacement tires (yes...two), I had them put the Michelins on, and I'd never go back.

The ride is MUCH smoother and more composed on the highway, and I actually think the tires handle significantly better than the Pirellis, ESPECIALLY in wet weather. The vehicle just seems more stable and predicable. The Michelins are definitely quieter, but I don't think the difference in noise level is that significant...based on what I read I was expecting silence compared to the Pirellis, but theres still some road noise. My personal opinion is that the stock Pirellis are a horrible tire for the 21" XC90 wheels given how narrow they are. The Michelins also just look and feel like a more solid, higher quality tire when you compare them side by side...sounds weird, but they do.

I only have 15k miles on the Michelins and don't notice any abnormal or excessive wear...but it's not something I really monitor. I'd rather have a tire that performs better over the tread life.

Coming from someone who's run both options on those 21" wheels, I feel the Michelins are a far superior choice for the car. And I think they also look better on the car too
      I just had the Michelins installed today. I actually think the tread pattern looks weird and the Pirellis look better. I haven't driven on them very long, but they do seem to ride a bit quieter than the Pirellis (but not much). I don't think the handling is quite as good as the Pirellis either--it doesn't seem as responsive on quick turns. Overall, I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be but I'll see how I feel in a week or so once I've gotten used to them.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast