10K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  rumyn 
#1 · (Edited)
My XC60 - Volvo buyback

Volvo buyback timeline:
1. 09-Oct-2019: Contacted the lawyer
2. 10-Oct-2019: Volvo agrees to buyback
3. 11-Oct-2019: Volvo hands off the process to Stericycle
4. 14-Oct-2019: Stericycle sends buyback offer
5. 22-Oct-2019: Stericycle sends amended/final offer. I accept the same day & they request checks from VCNA.
6. 08-Nov-2019: Stericycle receives the VCNA checks and overnight the surrender documents to their vehicle return agent
7. 11-Nov-2019: Vehicle return agent contacted me
8. 15-Nov-2019: Vehicle surrendered
9. 15-Nov-2019: Leased a new Volvo XC60
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, just wanted to share a little.
Had an issue with the car vibrating at high speeds for about two months now.
Eliminated it coming from the wheels (swapped wheels from another car to test).
Dealer has replaced the final drive (driveshaft).
Vibration is still there.
They're replacing motor mounts next Wednesday (doubt it'll fix it).
Car vibrates at 71-78 and the vibration is always different (more/less, etc).
Also, when idle, and the RPMs get revved up to about 1900-2300 there's a noticeable vibration in the seat (that goes away abouve 2400).

Dealer is refusing to look at other parts that could be the culprit.

Tried calling other dealers - they are refusing to look at it because I'm already working with my current dealer.

Fingers crossed that I end posting a solution at some point. 20 months left on the lease...

See less See more
#2 ·
It happens also at neutral so it is unlikely from suspension or wheel/tires. Engine mount is a good try. Another easy try is to replace 4 spark plugs, and next step is to clean fuel injectors.
Maybe there is some vibration in engine that changes on subtle timing. Is it same if you drive in dynamic/power mode? Do you have Polestar tune?

Lucky you are on a lease. So it is relatively short term pain.

#3 · (Edited)
Happens in "N" too. No P*. Happens in Dynamic too.

I'm just concerned that the car is safe to drive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#4 ·
To add one more thing. After they replaced the final drive, the car was making a popping sound when accelerating.
They fixed it by adjusting the heatshield (they said). Now the car is making the popping sound again when accelerating and turning. Hopefully it's not something else.
In any case, all of this is disappointing, as this is the first of our Volvos with issues.

#5 ·
I'd open a lemon law inquiry.

Volvo USA can do their own investigator or you can formally go through the appropriate steps with the BBB. There is a lot of paperwork involved so gather all your receipts and records in one place.

#6 ·
I'd open a lemon law inquiry.

Volvo USA can do their own investigator or you can formally go through the appropriate steps with the BBB. There is a lot of paperwork involved so gather all your receipts and records in one place.
Thought about it, but with 20 months left I just want the car back. Only 10.4K miles on it. Would love to be able to put 25K more on it over the next 20 months.

#7 ·
I was in a similar situation with my last vehicle.

One reason that it might be worth considering is that you may be able to work out some kind of consideration from Volvo.

I'm sorry this has happened, btw. A new car can be a lot of fun and it's a bummer when your enthusiasm gets blunted like this by problems.

#8 ·
I was in a similar situation with my last vehicle.

One reason that it might be worth considering is that you may be able to work out some kind of consideration from Volvo.

I'm sorry this has happened, btw. A new car can be a lot of fun and it's a bummer when your enthusiasm gets blunted like this by problems.
Thanks.
I wanna give them a chance with the motor mounts (that most likely won't help) and see what Volvo thinks after

#9 ·
Motor mounts could be the culprit.

It makes more sense that it's the mounts vs the other things they did first... this assumes they knew it did this in park or neutral and not moving.

Even if it's in neutral and park, the engine vibrates. The mounts could be the issue. As well as what FusionRedXC60 mentioned.

#11 ·
I had very similar symptoms years ago with an Acura - and it did turn out to be the mounts. That should be easily visible though.

#12 ·
To be fair, they haven't looked at them. Dealer is basically saying that they don't feel the vibration after driveshaft replacement, and only doing this because complaining.
I call such BS on this. Volvo wouldn't approve the mounts replacement just because a customer is complaining. I bet there's a TJ somewhere about the mounts, that's why they said yes.

#13 ·
Dealer replaced the engine mount and torque rod.
Vibration at idle is significantly less. Vibration at 71+ MPH is just less.
Popping sound when turning (intermittent) is still happening.
Tired of this car being in the shop, so might wait for it to go back. Not sure there's anything else they can do for the vibration, but maybe at least look at the popping sound (probably struts, as this has happened on all my P3 models).
In any case, 19 more payments to go...

#14 ·
To be fair, they'll gladly do any repairs or testing you want if you'll pay for em. The downside of warranty is you're only sorta the customer. Volvo pays the tabs and if they don't do things by Volvo's book they don't get paid. They very much would love to find the cause of the problem because then Volvo will pay them to fix it, so it's in the dealers interest to agree with you that there is a problem. They also really do want you to be happy with your car, it's their future business at stake.

Take a tech out for a drive if you can. Get them to understand what your experiencing. IMO that's the best way if it's a more subtle experience. If they can't feel it drive and tell them when you're experiencing it and they might know what your feeling base on your driving style and conditions.

As for lemon law, it varies by state. I've only had one experience in my years and it was on a Ford Transit van. Transmission. Customer kept coming in and each time Ford would have the techs go one level further. Finally we just traded the customer out and worked with Ford directly. It would have qualified for lemon law but it was a regular customer of mine and it made more sense for us to take the hit on the deal and trade even up for another new one with the same specs and sort it out after... it took two more tries but eventually Ford let our techs go deep enough that the problem didn't come back. It goes back to the OEMs procedures for repair. While most times Ford would save money just doing step 1, 2, 3, in this particular case they lost the bet. Volvo and other companies work on the same principle.

#15 ·
To be fair, they'll gladly do any repairs or testing you want if you'll pay for em.
To be fair, I've offered to pay for diagnostics out of pocket. I've offered the foreman to take my car home for a week to drive it back and forth to work.
No dice.

For what it's worth, the car already falls under the NJ Lemon Law. It's been in the shop for over 3 months (combined visits) out of 15 months I've had it.
The mileage is so low (10.5K) on it, that I really want to drive it now, even with some issues. I just need to know those issues are not compromising safety is all.

#22 · (Edited)
After contacting a selling dealer last week and getting a little runaround (i.e. yeah, we'll get you a new car, just wait 10 days, we'll get something similar as a replacement) I started a Lemon Law case today.
Either way, hopefully something works out, because this car is a complete disappointment.
For &*&ts and giggles I'm inserting a table with all the issues I've had so far.

#23 · (Edited)
Update#2: Vovlo has handed off the case to Stericycle for buyback. Should hear something next week.

Update:
It took the lawyer less than 1 day to get Volvo to agree on a buyback.
They also offered $10,000 for us to keep the car until the end of the lease. I refused.
Buyback money is going to be less, but I'm also not going to worry about this car's reliability anymore.

#26 ·
Looks like lease another Volvo.
Incentives/MF/Residuals are terrible for October, so will wait until November, probably.
XC60 or XC90.

As weird as it sounds after everything - we've owned many Volvos, and I love the brand.

#27 ·
Hello,
I had the same problem with my 2007 XC90. The car vibrated (sometimes rather violently) at high speeds. The first two times I took it to the dealer’s they told me there was nothing wrong. The third time—after driving for another two weeks with the vibration—they told me again that there was no problem when they drove it. Very frustrating.

#28 ·
So, just wanted to share a little.
Had an issue with the car vibrating at high speeds for about two months now.
Eliminated it coming from the wheels (swapped wheels from another car to test).
Dealer has replaced the final drive (driveshaft).
Vibration is still there.
They're replacing motor mounts next Wednesday (doubt it'll fix it).
Car vibrates at 71-78 and the vibration is always different (more/less, etc).
Also, when idle, and the RPMs get revved up to about 1900-2300 there's a noticeable vibration in the seat (that goes away abouve 2400).

Dealer is refusing to look at other parts that could be the culprit.

Tried calling other dealers - they are refusing to look at it because I'm already working with my current dealer.

Fingers crossed that I end posting a solution at some point. 20 months left on the lease...
I have had similar vibration issues with my XC90 (OSD Inscription) since getting it serviced in NJ. Curious as to where you are in NJ?

Car has just over 45k mileage and am concerned that vibration issue will not be addressed before breaking 50k.

My dealer has never been able to feel the vibration issues we experience.

Not sure if it is brakes (replaced three times front and back), wheels, drivetrain, or something else.

Just the other weekend car vibrated incredibly from brake pads rubbing against the rotors. Had to hard break multiple times to get them to stop vibrating. Should never happen on just two year old car.

For the past two years, the car has been in the shop at least 12 times.

Love the brand, but not loving my service center (Prestige, East Hanover, NJ).

#29 ·
I was getting my car serviced at Edison.
Prestige is not terrible if you can talk to Mike Lassaso or Anna.
For my car - they never figured out the vibration. It used to vibrate at 70MPH+ only. Now it vibrates at lower speeds too. ALso, when braking, but the dealership said the rotors are fine.
You can see what was replaced in my thread here.
Overall, I got tired of it and started the Lemon process for the car (Volvo agreed, but it's still ongoing, but getting closer to buyback right now)

#30 ·
Another update.

This past Tuesday Stericycle sent the following:

"I will request the checks today from VCNA and it will take several weeks for me to receive them back. However, I will keep you posted with any updates"

So, counting from 22-Oct it should take about two weeks for Stericycle to get the checks. After that 1-2 weeks for the car surrender.

#32 ·
Thank you. The painful part was the "repairs".
I've had numerous Volvos before. I firmly believe that one was just a fluke.
Still haven't decided on the next one. XC90 or XC60.

#33 ·
Another update (like anyone cares, but this is just for posterity)

It's now been 17 days since Stericycle has requested checks from VCNA.
No news.
Lawyer is contacting Stericycle and Volvo to find out what the hold up is.

#34 ·
Penultimate update:
Stericycle confirmed check receipt and vehicle surrender will be scheduled next week.

#35 ·
:rave: YAY! :rave:

FYI... Before I get ragged tagged as Anti Volvo... Rumyn plans to replace his Lemon with ANOTHER VOLVO! One bad experience doesn't offset the many good ones rumyn has had over the years.

#38 ·
Me being accused of Anti-Volvo, not rumyn. Trust me, I've heard it all since I started helping people on here!

#41 ·
Included the timeline in my initial post. Mostly for posterity, in case someone goes through the same thing.

#43 ·
Smugness? Need a dictionary to help you out, maybe?
In any case, seems like you and another troll are going on the same list.
Maybe go hang out on Porshe boards?

#45 · (Edited)
Click on the name and it takes you right to a dialog that lets you add trolls to the ignore list.

And, in answer to the question that will inevitably come next - no, you can't ignore yourself. :D

#47 ·
The ordeal is over.
If anyone needs a Lemon Law Lawyer referral for Volvo buyback in NJ/PA/NY - let me know.
My experience with this one was very good.

Here's the new car

#48 ·
What a beauty! Interior pictures, cough cough!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.