B Mode behavior
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: B Mode behavior

B Mode behavior

Hi all,

I find that putting my transmission in B mode(which is my preference) occasionally results in ICE engine revving really high maintaining the tranny in a low gear. Switching to D immediately drops into higher gear/lower rev. Anyone else see this behavior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have not heard of B mode but if you are talking about moving the shifter over for Dynamic Mode, then yes at times it will hold gears to higher rpms, especially after a rapid downshift and acceleration. It does this in anticipation of another demand for torque, think sportier driving. It also mentions this in the owners manual page 418 "Dynamic mode is designed to provide sportier driving characteristics and a faster acceleration response. Gear shifting will be faster and more distinct and the transmission will prioritize gears with a higher traction force."
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post
      Have not heard of B mode but if you are talking about moving the shifter over for Dynamic Mode, then yes at times it will hold gears to higher rpms, especially after a rapid downshift and acceleration. It does this in anticipation of another demand for torque, think sportier driving. It also mentions this in the owners manual page 418 "Dynamic mode is designed to provide sportier driving characteristics and a faster acceleration response. Gear shifting will be faster and more distinct and the transmission will prioritize gears with a higher traction force."
      No, the gear shifter never moves to Dynamic Mode. You need the drive mode dial wheel to change driving mode.
      Tapping the gear shifter towards back from D, then it moves to B, tap again, it moves to manual / lower gear shifting.

I didn't try driving and accelerating under B, so have no idea. To me, B mode is used for braking purpose.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I think you may be pushing it back two times not once from D. If you shift back twice it drops you into 1st gear if you are at high speed this would indicate why it is revving so high as it's for low speeds.
      In B or 1 when you push it forward it drops back to D, 1 does not go to B on the forward shift.

Quote Originally Posted by XC60Questions View Post
      I think you may be pushing it back two times not once from D. If you shift back twice it drops you into 1st gear if you are at high speed this would indicate why it is revving so high as it's for low speeds.
      In B or 1 when you push it forward it drops back to D, 1 does not go to B on the forward shift.
      I wonder if that's why they chose to change to a left/right manual gear change on the MY20?

Quote Originally Posted by XC60Questions View Post
      I bet you’re right, I didn’t know it went into low gear beyond B. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements