What Type of Winter Tires?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What Type of Winter Tires?

Hey all,

I'm curious what type of winter tires you are selecting for your S/V90's.

The dealer packages seem to go with the Michelin X-ice, but I'm not convinced I am completely sold on them.

Where I live in the Boston area we usually have plowed and salted roads, so I rarely drive on untreated or icy roads. Because of this, I used to always select Alpine style "performance winter" tires, You know, softer tread and larger sipes than so called all-seasons, without the noise and poor handling characteristics in the dry like you get with traditional winter tires.

Lately though it seems like the traditional non-studded winter tires have started performing better in this regard, with less of a noise and handling penalty than in the past.

Because of this I am going back and forth between a traditional and well reviewed set of Continental Vikingcontact 7's, and a "performance winter" set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's.

What are everyone thoughts on this subject on here?
      Last edited by mattlach; 09-25-2019 at 09:31 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am using the Michelin X Ice on my V90CC, had them previously on a Lexus NX and quite liked them.

My V60CC had Gislaved tires, they were fine but a bit jumpy at times.
      2018 - V90CC, Maple Brown

Past - 2018 V60CC, Loaded, Saville Grey

Totalled - 2016 V60 RD, Platinum Loaded, Onyx Black

Past - 2013 S60 RD, Platinum, Rebel Blue

2002 V40 Sport, Red

Quote Originally Posted by batchelor22 View Post
      I am using the Michelin X Ice on my V90CC, had them previously on a Lexus NX and quite liked them.

My V60CC had Gislaved tires, they were fine but a bit jumpy at times.
      Thanks.

What do you mean by "jumpy"?

I had a pair of Hakkapeliitta RSi's years ago on one of my Saabs. Best snow and ice traction I have ever had, but the noise and performance on wet and dry road was a huge letdown. After that experience I've always gone with the "Alpine" "performance" winters. They seem to be less common this time than when I bought my last set 4 years ago. It makes me wonder if the standard nonb-studded winters have improved in comfort/noise and dry/wet performance to the point where they are no longer needed.

How is the road noise with those X-Ice tires?
      Last edited by mattlach; 09-25-2019 at 09:45 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I switched to the Nokian hakkapeliitta r2 during winter time here in New York. I’ve had it for the past two years and these tires are amazing during the winter times. Drives through snow like butter, the traction is unbelievable in those conditions. Highly recommended.

I believe Nokian came out with a new version called the R3. Might want to check that out.
      Last edited by ChrisJB84; 09-26-2019 at 05:55 AM.
      |2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country| - Crystal White/Blond Interior - Luxury Package - Convenience Package - HUD - B&O - Premium Air Suspension - Polestar Optimised

I drive mountain highway roads at relatively high speed, there were times when the Gislaved tires couldn't maintain traction at highway speed and thus you felt a loss of grip especially on the downhill sections, any bump would cause movement far greater than it would normally allow on dry roads and using my word, caused the car to "jump". Did not like that sensation. The Michelin's seem to hold the line and keep the car planted much better.

I think it depends though on what winter looks like in your area, snow accumulation and whether the snow is dry, hard and powdery or wet and slushy (like where I am).
      2018 - V90CC, Maple Brown

Past - 2018 V60CC, Loaded, Saville Grey

Totalled - 2016 V60 RD, Platinum Loaded, Onyx Black

Past - 2013 S60 RD, Platinum, Rebel Blue

2002 V40 Sport, Red

So, I made the decision to go with the new Continental ContiVikingContact 7's, in 225/50R-18.

My thought process:

1.)I've always read that narrower is better for winter tires. The 225/50R18 size strikes a balance between being reasonably similar in rolling diameter to the stock size, while being the narrowest tires that will fit on Volvo's stock 18" wheels.

2.)I've had very good experiences with Continental in the past

3.) The ContiVikingContact 7's have received very favorable reviews, replacing both the hardcore Scandinavian winter ContiViking Contact 6's in Europe, yet quiet and comfortable enough to also replace their less aggressive previous U.S. winter tires.

So, I can't speak to snow/ice traction as of yet, as I haven't had any of the cold stuff here yet, but they do live up to expectations for being reasonably quiet and comfotable. They don't feel like running on aggressive winter Tires like Hakkapeliitta RSI's or anything like that, where they really shine in the snow and ice, but are squirrely and noisy dry roads.

On cold dry and wet (but not snowy or icy) roads these feel just as comfortable and confident as a good st of seasons. Around town I can't pick up any noise difference. On the highway they may be slightly noisier than the factory Pirelli's they replaced, but not enough to be bothersome.

If these are indeed as capable in the snow and ice as Norwegian and Swedish reviews suggest, I'll be thrilled. A tire that is great in ice and snow, without the nasty side effects of noise and poor dry and wet performance is the holy grail. I will certainly report back once I've had some snow/ice experience.

As for what I'll do in the spring? I'm leaning towards a set of 19" BBS wheels with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's in 255/40R19, because these are quite simply the best all season tires I've ever experienced. Since I switch wheels for the cold seasons I used to run Summers in the summer, and Winters in the Winter, but as I've gotten older and no longer identify as a "performance driver" I am happy with a great set of All seasons, especially since it makes things more flexible around wheel switching season. There is less worrying about if the temperatures are right to switch yet.

Let us know how the Vikings perform? I've been happy with the Conti WinterContact Si's the past two winters..
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      So, I made the decision to go with the new Continental ContiVikingContact 7's, in 225/50R-18.
      I just put a set of these on my P3 XC60 this morning - 235/60R-18. The Tirerack deal was too good to pass up.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I have Nokian WR SUV 4 and I recommend them.. they ride very well in snow conditions.
      https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-t...kian-wr-suv-4/

Attachment 56403
      Last edited by ru1; Today at 01:57 AM.
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements