SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

MY11-13 Non-Solder Steering Wheel Paddle Shifter Retrofit (with illuminated knob!)

19K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  sda2489 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to share my step by step process of installing the paddle shift retrofit AND being able to keep that glorious illuminated shift knob!

Special thanks goes to member "Pietila" as they took the time to answer a few questions of mine and helped steer me in the right direction for my retrofit method and pioneered the first real guide to the solder method of the original retrofit that I am aware of.

Previous methods required soldering and modification of the SWM circuit board and replacement of the entire shift assembly which meant you would lose the illuminated shift knob if you had a 2013 model Volvo car. This was something I wanted to avoid desperately as I really liked my S60's illuminated knob and I wasn't sold on the soldering method as it seemed a little "rough" and not to my liking, so I set out to find my own method that I was happy with.

I'm a Parts Manager for a Volvo Dealer so I was lucky enough to have access to VIDA and every possible wiring diagram that I could need. After many hours of research and building upon pre-existing methods others had figured out with the "solder method" I was able to figure out a plug and play method without soldering or modification of the major components. You will have to connect some wires together which you can do with solder or use bullet connectors like I did for a zero solder method.

The goal for me was to create a simple, straight forward plug and play method as close to factory as possible.

You will require the following items to make this work No software is required at all for this procedure!

1x 2014+ SWM without heated steering wheel but with paddles PT# 31481774

1x 2014+ Wiper Stalk PT# 31456038

1x 2014+ Signal Stalk PT# 31456045

1x 2014+ Up shift paddle (+) PT# 31343008

1x 2014+ Down shift paddle (-) PT# 31343007

1X 2014+ Steering wheel harness PT# 31332540 (This harness connects the steering wheel switches, stalks and paddles to the new SWM)

4x Volvo repair terminals PT# 30656669

1X 2014+ Polestar GSM control unit PT# 32207748 (If you don't care for the illuminated knob, you can use the GSM module from a 2014+ non Polestar car, however there is no PT# for this unit that I am aware of, so you will have to take it from a used GSM assembly such as a salvaged car at a wrecking yard or used parts vendors and the 2014+ black knob and swap that over too along with the new GSM. No need to swap the entire shift assembly if you're going to use the 2014+ knob and forgo the 2013 illuminated knob.)

And of course a steering wheel that allows for paddles or modify your existing one to fit the paddles.

If you have a 2010-2011 Volvo, then you need to replace your entire shifter assembly. At that point you're better off to source the assembly as a used part from a salvaged car or a vendor and THEN just follow the steps for the wiring for the SWM and GSM once you have complete the gear shift assembly swap. Member "p.rico" created a wonderful step by step guide on how to replace that assembly which can be found here:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...hifter-Assembly-Retrofit-into-2011-2012-S60-s

All of these parts minus the repair terminals can be sourced from a salvage yard. Also keep in mind, this method had factory "fit and finish" in mind at the trade off of a little more $$$ This method is also the fastest way to add paddles because you don't have to remove your GSM assembly for a new one, unlike the solder method. Took me about 1 hour to install everything.

If you need instructions on how to remove or install the SWM, SAS (reuse your old one), stalks and steering wheel, then you can reference this thread here thanks to member "BHTeam":

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...it-COMPLETE-GUIDE-and-it-works#/topics/606323

Basically what needs to be done is simple, like the other solder procedure, a link needs to be established between the SWM and the GSM. Below is how to create that link and where to plug in the terminals.

DISCLAIMER: Please proceed at your own discretion, I am not liable for any damage that may result when modifying your vehicle!

After adding about 6 feet of wiring to the repair terminals (solder or use bullet connectors to attach wire to repair terminals), you can go ahead and add the wiring to the factory SWM connector housing at the back of the SWM into ports 1 and 5. Then route your 6 ft of wiring however you like, I ended up routing it along the factory harness that's already present under the steering column and along the side of the center console "waterfall". Once you've routed the wiring to the GSM connector location, plug port "1" wire from the SWM into the empty #4 port in GSM connector housing and then your second SWM wire from port #5 of the SWM into the empty port #5 on the GSM connector. That's it! It's wired and you can now start to put everything back together!

NOTE* In order to be able to insert the repair terminal into the connector, you will need to release the locking tab/bar that holds them in the housing of the connector. Pry along the top, back side of the connector to release the locking bar then insert the terminal in the same orientation as the other are installed. Push the repair terminal into the empty ports (#1 and #5) till you hear it "click" into place. Repeat this with the GSM connector. See image below.

To summarize:

SWM #1 wire -----> into GSM #4 port
SWM #5 wire -----> into GSM #5 port

If you want to keep your illuminated knob and have acquired the above mentioned Polestar GSM module, then you will need to replace your old one with the Polestar module at this time. Follow the steps and pictures below.

Step 1: Remove the shifter plunger bracket (not sure what it's actually called) by pulling the lower tab out and over it should come right out. Please refer to the picture below and refer to the picture in step 2 to see this plunger removed from the assembly.

Step 2: Now carefully unplugging the very fragile ribbon cable pictured below by pulling at the beige clip on both ends just enough that it backs out and the cable becomes free. DON'T PULL THE CLIP ALL THE WAY OUT!!! IT WILL BREAK! Then remove the power cable for the module in the lower left corner. This will just pull right out but don't pull it out by the wires, use a small tool or pic to back it out.

Step 3: Now time to remove the GSM itself. Pry at the indicated corners in the picture above and the GSM should pop free. Don't be afraid of wrecking this GSM because you will be replacing it with Polestar version. Install the new Polestar GSM in the same way the old one came out.

Step 4: Plug the ribbon cable back in and then push the beige clip closed then plug the power cable back in and reinstall the plunger bracket that you removed in step 1, MAKE SURE TO LINE THE POSTS BACK UP WITH EACH OTHER AS INDICATED IN THE PICTURE BELOW and now you can plug the GSM connector in and you're all set!!!! Reassemble the interior and you should have functional paddles! Enjoy!

I hope this helps some of you out and that you found this post informative and helpful. If you have questions, please ask!

Regards,
Edwin S

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome guide. Just a quick question, can you provide a pic and more explanation of this:

1X 2014+ Steering wheel harness PT# 31332540 (This harness connects the steering wheel switches, stalks and paddles to the new SWM). There are a few different harnesses, is this one that is hard wired into the 2014+ steering wheel itself, or should this also be salvaged from the 2014+ donor car? Or is it something that can be reused from the 2011-2013 car?

#6 · (Edited)
It will be wired into the wheel if you're getting it from a salvaged car. If you're buying your parts new like I did, you will need to order it.

The one from the 11-13 cars won't work because the harness has an additional wire for the 2014+ cars that hooks up to your paddle shifters that the 11-13 cars obviously don't have. Hope that helps, if you need more info let me know.

#9 ·
Hey all, I will soon pluck up the courage to do this. I have a quick question. When you are driving in D or S what happens when you change the gears with the paddles, does it temporarily shift into manual mode and then back again if you don't use the paddles again within a certain time?

#10 ·
For me, you have to be in "S" mode to use the paddles. The paddles aren't active until you place the car into "S" mode otherwise they don't do anything. Not sure if that's the case for the cars with paddles from factory.

Also, if you're in sport mode and don't shift, I THINK it will eventually shift but I've never tired it.

#11 · (Edited)
Awesome thread. I finally plucked up the courage to do this mod and the car is all back together now with paddles shifters working! Just a coupe of points/questions.

I have an airbag error. Is this bad or does it just need a reset?

My GSM had the ribbon type whereas the GSM from the donor car has a tiny two pin plug so I was not able to swap gsm and keep my illuminated knob. I had to do the whole shifter swap so now I've got the piano black one which really isn't a deal breaker.

There at two tiny screws left over not sure what they are for.

Thanks for this I love the paddles!

#12 ·
Awesome thread. I finally plucked up the courage to do this mod and the car is all back together now with paddles shifters working! Just a coupe of points/questions.

I have an airbag error. Is this bad or does it just need a reset?

My GSM had the ribbon type whereas the GSM from the donor car has a tiny two pin plug so I was not able to swap gsm and keep y illuminated know. I had to do the whole shifter swap so now I've got the piano black one which really isn't a deal breaker.

There at two tiny screws left over not sure what they are for.

Thanks for this I love the paddles!
No problem! Glad you like the paddles.

You can do the GSM Polestar swap later if you want to go back to your clear illuminated knob.

As for the airbag error, I'm not sure why that's displaying for you. What year is your car and what year was the parts car? Did you reuse your air bag?

#14 ·
Also big shout out to BHTeam for the steering wheel pull thread and p.rico for the Gear shift assembly swap thread also, thanks guys!

Also, I don't think that 6ft of wire was necessary to route from the GSM to the SWM, I ended up with heaps of twisted pair wire that I had to hide alongside the Gear shift assembly. Probably 3 to 4 ft would be ample.

#15 ·
Hi All and @EdVQ37,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I need a bit of a help as i did acquired few parts preparing for the retrofit on 2011 XC60 T6.

Bought following parts already:
2016 VOLVO S60 Steering wheel with paddles including harness (31332534 / 34138853B 34110217A)
2016 VOLVO S60 Combination Switch Wiper Indicator Stalk 295 (31456022 31456038 31456045)
2015 VOLVO XC60 Gear Shift Stick Shifter (31367921)

I have not taken Steering wheel squib and looking to find the correct SWM. I found one and need your help whether it will work

2018 VOLVO V40 V60 XC60 Steering wheel Center Contact Board Control Module 31481774 31481765

By below link Volvo OEM Part Number 31481774 is defined as S60 Switch housing which make me unsure if i have all needed
https://www.volvocarparts.info/Volvo-S60-Switch-housing-p/31481774-23035.htm

Please help :confused:

Regards,
Tsvetan

#18 ·
Hi All and @EdVQ37,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I need a bit of a help as i did acquired few parts preparing for the retrofit on 2011 XC60 T6.

Bought following parts already:
2016 VOLVO S60 Steering wheel with paddles including harness (31332534 / 34138853B 34110217A)
2016 VOLVO S60 Combination Switch Wiper Indicator Stalk 295 (31456022 31456038 31456045)
2015 VOLVO XC60 Gear Shift Stick Shifter (31367921)

I have not taken Steering wheel squib and looking to find the correct SWM. I found one and need your help whether it will work

2018 VOLVO V40 V60 XC60 Steering wheel Center Contact Board Control Module 31481774 31481765

By below link Volvo OEM Part Number 31481774 is defined as S60 Switch housing which make me unsure if i have all needed
https://www.volvocarparts.info/Volvo-S60-Switch-housing-p/31481774-23035.htm

Please help

Regards,
Tsvetan
31481774 Is the one I ordered. I don't see why it shouldn't work for you. Again, I only have experience with the part numbers I listed. You should be fine as the SWM differences are for a car with paddles and without heated steering wheel OR with heated wheel. everything else should be the same.

Hope I answered your question. ?

#16 · (Edited)
After a bit of searching it seems that my "SRS Airbag Service Urgent" error could be from disconnecting the positive battery terminal before removing the negative terminal. I've got a DICE but I cant seem to get it to connect the car so I cant check fault codes until that is resolved.

EdVQ37, I notice when I was reassembling the gear shifter assembly there was a small green plug on the opposite side to the GSM but it didn't seem to match or reach to anything, at first I was a bit worried that I had missed something that I unplugged but I couldn't match it up with anything, did you find the same thing? I didn't take a photo but if you check post #3 of p.ricos thread in the 2nd picture you can see the green plug, the yellow bow strikes through the middle of it.

#19 ·
This is a must do mod if you like to drive in manual mode. The gear changes actually do feel quicker imo as you are clicking a button instead of shifting the whole lever, a much better experience and I really like the feel of the paddle shifters in this car. Really happy with this mod.

#23 ·
Succes with installing paddles but wont work Drive.

Hi,

I have the exact same car so with your quide it was a easy job, thanks for that.
When i search for promo movies of volvo 2014 they say it's possible to use paddles in drive mode.
Anyone has an idea why this does not work for our models with illuminated knob? Or does someone who used a new knob from like a 2015 model the GSM does not have this problem.

Perhaps the car needs an update? I would really like to use the shifters in D mode aswell.

Greetz Roeland
Netherlands.

#24 ·
Hi,

I have the exact same car so with your quide it was a easy job, thanks for that.
When i search for promo movies of volvo 2014 they say it's possible to use paddles in drive mode.
Anyone has an idea why this does not work for our models with illuminated knob? Or does someone who used a new knob from like a 2015 model the GSM does not have this problem.

Perhaps the car needs an update? I would really like to use the shifters in D mode aswell.

Greetz Roeland
Netherlands.
Not sure about your question. Personally I like how the paddles are inactive until you put the lever into 'S' mode, stops you from accidentally pulling a gear when you are driving in 'D', I actually disliked this feature on normal paddles shift cars!

#26 ·
Hi,

Greetz Roeland
Netherlands.
You're most welcome! I'm glad you found it useful.

I'm not sure but I suspect it's different programming within the CEM that allows the paddles to be active in regular drive mode.

I find I use the paddles only during "spirited" driving so for me it's a non issue.

#27 ·
Hi, I hope someone can help - I've installed a paddle equipped RD steering wheel into my 2016 MY (poss 2015.5) V60, which according to all of the info should have been a straight install. However, mine being the PHEV variant, the paddles don't seem to work. As far as I can tell all the cabling is there - cables going into the gear selector module pins 4 and 5, the steering wheel harness because it came with it etc - but I just get nothing, even in S mode, stationary or driving. The car came with the manual mode shifter, so I don't get why paddles wouldn't work, but they don't. I haven't done a continuity check between the paddles and the GSM connector to see if something is breaking the link yet, but I'd be gratefull if anyone had any ideas - especially someone with a connection to Volvo !!!

#28 ·
Perhaps you do require a GSM from a car with Paddles. I'm not sure if cars without paddles have the same GSM as cars with paddles from 2014+. I suspect, like me, you have to change out your GSM. The link between GSM and paddles needs to be established. If you say there are wires already running to pin 4 and 5 then it's the GSM. Part number for a new GSM is in the guide. Keep us posted.

#31 ·
Before I start looking for a new "paddle" GSM, can anyone think of a reason why the PlugIn Hybrid GSM might be different to a petrol/diesel - Volvo definitely say the paddles are not an option for the PHEV, and yet the gearstick has the sport manual mode; I just don't understand ?

#33 ·
Hi, Edwin!
Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time to make such a good tech / DIY thread for the P3 community. See you back on Facebook.
~Nick

#37 ·
EdVQ37, great research, write up, and contribution! I see from your username that we may have walked a similar automotive path.

I was excited to discover your conversation, because when I chose to buy my 2012 RD, my only regret was that it was not available with a stick shift, nor was it available at the time with paddle shifters as a next-best-thing. Upgrading to get a later model with both the paddle shifters and the 3.0 six was a narrow opportunity window, and cost prohibitive for me.

Discovery of both the Sport mode and ability to shift on demand helped some, but I still would like to have paddle shifters to be able to more quickly and intuitively respond to the need to downshift. After reading your contribution here, I'm again trying to decide if the cost/benefit at this point in ownership is worth it.

My opportunities that present a need to downshift are more likely to be immediate and short term in response to traffic conditions, than they are to prolonged spirited driving. Bottom line, if I have to first move the shifter over before being able to use the paddles, they would have minimal value to me for momentary conditions; I might as well just use the shifter itself. But for those with roads and opportunity to enjoy prolonged periods of manual shift, its an great solution.

So, as I understand it, for those with 2010-2013 RD models, you'd need (new or used) a steering wheel configured for paddle shifters in the desired color, the left and right paddle assemblies, two mounting screws, an appropriate wiring harness, and a shifter assembly from a paddle-shifter-equipped model?

With these additions, the functionality could be added, with the exception that the shifter must first be moved into the manual-shift gate. On the cars with factory-equipped paddle shifter this is not necessary. Which raises the question, on the factory equipped cars, does use of the paddles (without first moving the shifter to the manual shift gate) also enable Sport mode simultaneously, or does it only enable the manual shift?

So to be able to manually shift, apparently some state must be recognized before the transmission control programming will allow manual shifts. I suspect moving the shifter into the manual gate engages a switch or relay that creates this state. So I would think there are two possibilities: One possibility is that in the factory equipped cars there may be wiring where engagement of either of the paddles enables both the manual shift circuits and sport mode circuit simultaneously (I'm not seeing evidence of this). Or perhaps the programming has been changed 2014-on to recognize that on cars equipped with paddle shifters, the presence of the state enabled by moving the shifter into the manual gate is no longer required.

I seem to remember in a thread about some of the aftermarket programming tools there might have been a reference to enabling paddle shifters. If that's so, then the later possibility is the most likely, and most consistent with the behavior observed with these mods so far.

Regardless, awesome contribution, EdVQ37. I look forward to reading more your posts.

#42 ·
Hello everybody. I'm in the process of gathering the parts for this retrofit. I only lack the GSM module. Can someone confirm that the part number is 32207748? I want to be completely sure that this is the GSM I need in order to use my 2013 illuminated shifter with the steering wheel paddles. Thanks!

#43 ·
Can't help with the retrofit but I can confirm that on my 2014 T5, the paddles work in both sport and drive mode. One nice thing about drive mode is that if you stop using the paddles and lift off the throttle, the car will revert back to automatic shifting after a short time. In sport mode, the car will shift automatically (although at higher rpms) until you start using the paddles. It doesn't revert back to automatic shifting like the drive mode.

#44 ·
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some guidance regarding an issue I've encountered with this retrofit.

I have a 2012 S60 T6 and I'm in the process of completing this upgrade. I bought all the parts and did the install a couple of days back, but when I tested it for the first time only the down paddle functionality worked. So I took apart the steering wheel and started looking for the problem. Up until now, I've concluded that both paddle shifters, clockspring, SWM and wiring to the GSM are in correct order. Everything has continuity and the paddles respond to input when testing with a multimeter.

As for the GSM, I bought it new from a Volvo Parts Dealer in the US. Its the same part # as the one from this tutorial: 32207748.

I don't know what could be the issue, considering that the wiring is correct and that the down (-) paddle functionality works. I even switched the up (+) paddle to see if it was that and it wasn't! I did go down a gear even if I switched paddles from one side to another but didn't go up any gears with the paddle. It does go up and down when using the illuminated shifter though. I've also tested 2 SWMs from 2014+ S60s and 2 different clock springs (the original from my car and another one from a 2014+ S60) with the same result.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening here? I don't know what else to do since I believe the signals that travel from the SWM to the GSM for the paddle shifters are PWM, and there is no way form me to check that. I would need an oscilloscope of something similar, so I'm stuck.

Here are some pictures of my install:
Automotive lighting Yellow Electrical wiring Gadget Electronic engineering
Camera lens Reflex camera Camera accessory Flash photography Digital SLR
Blue Rectangle Font Gas Electric blue
Rectangle Font Electronic device Computer data storage Machine
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Garden hose Motor vehicle Gas
Speedometer Trip computer White Tachometer Odometer

Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

#46 ·
I've just done this on my 2013 V60 T6. (I needed the polestar GSM). Cost just over 300 pounds. I used my original steering wheel and just attacked it with a dremel.

Dash was light up like a Christmas tree once i had finished it. Wouldn't clear with VIDA.

Realised that the clock spring was 360 degrees out but still wouldn't reset.

Eventually I decided just to drive it round the block. It seemed to sort itself out and all lights cleared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.