T8 Charging Guidance
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

T8 Charging Guidance

Iíve read the 2020 XC60 T8 manual a couple of times now in prep for delivery of my new T8 in the next few months. I would appreciate advice how others are charging their T8 and making use of TOU rates (in my case ó lowest electric rates are 12-5AM).

My present Tesla has a built-in method allowing me to set itís charging ďbegin timeĒ, which I set at 12 midnight years ago to align with my TOU rates. It then charges itself beginning at midnight as needed. Iím able to park in my garage, plug my Tesla wall charger into the car, walk away, and the car takes it from there. The next day, I always have a topped-off charge when I want to leave. It couldnít be easier, while saving me a few bucks on my electric bill.

The T8 does not appear to have a built-in ďset and forget itĒ method to schedule charge start time like Iím used to with my Tesla. To make my life simpler as I join the Volvo PHEV family, my thought is I will install a ChargePoint wall charger to replace my Tesla version (simply dropping amperage on my dedicated 100A circuit for the far lesser demands of the T8). From the ChargePoint documentation, its wall charger appears to have a scheduling function via their app, so I could set it to start charging at 12 midnight when my rates are lowest like Iím used to ó but the trick then becomes what Volvoís PHEV charging design will or wonít do...

Could I pull my XC60 T8 into the garage; Park; Plug in my ChargePoint wall charger J1772 (that will not have power) to the T8, and when the wall connector later applies power on my schedule at 12 midnight, the T8 will begin charging ó or is there something in Volvoís implemention that will prevent me from doing so? All the examples Iíve read in Volvoís documentation assume there is power in the J1772 plug when itís first connected to the T8 so all the interlocks work and charging process immediately begins. In my case, I want to make the physical connection when I park and let power flow at a later time, then let the T8 stop charging when itís full. Iím concerned Volvoís (or the J1772 standard) charging design may prevent my doing that.

...just trying to plan my future scenario so I can have the physical electrical work done in advance of T8 delivery, and start evaluating different utility rate plans if I canít make use of what I have now. I can of course let the T8 charge when I plug-in during the day if thatís all I can do, but with my TOU 12-5AM rate being 20-30% of prime hours depending on time of year, being able to charge while Iím asleep would allow me to get a headstart saving for a future Polestar upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
      Bert

Present: Ď20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: Ď15 Tesla S90D; Ď14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; Ď09 335i; Ď06 RX400h; Ď02 SC430; Ď99 RX300; Ď95 SC300; Ď91 Legend...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My utility cycles EV Service - powers on and off between ~ 11:00 pm (on) and ~ 7:00 am (off) for Friday-peak pricing.

I plug it in when I get home and it starts charging once power is applied by the utility. It works well with no problems.

As an aside, I would rather have time of use pricing - allowing me to schedule my charging as I wish based on my driving needs. I have the Juice 40 Pro which allows for TOU. My utility may move to that model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

No problem. I put a nema 6-20 20A timer plug on a wall plug. Works like a charm, almost 2 years now.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

THANK YOU BOTH. Thatís great news.

Iíve become spoiled with my ease-of-charging method the past 4 years... and by only charging during low TOU times and with my home solar panels I put in a couple years ago, have actually ended-up with a slight credit on my annual electrical bill true-up which was beyond my expectations. While Iíll be spending money on Dino fuel once the T8 arrives, I at least now know the electric bill wonít be going up, and maybe a little more credit will be coming my way. Perfect!
      Bert

Past: Ď15 Tesla S90D; Ď14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; Ď09 335i; Ď06 RX400h; Ď02 SC430; Ď99 RX300; Ď95 SC300; Ď91 Legend...

BertL, whatís the delivery time for a new T8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered 9/5. Dealership said it would take 4-6 weeks for the factory to confirm a build date, so I donít have one yet ó another 4-6 weeks to hit the West Coast from there. (Iíll be calling the dealer around 10/19 if Iíve not heard from them. ) The dealer initially said Christmas may be possible if all the stars aligned correctly, but reset my expectation a week later it will likely be late Jan, perhaps early Feb 2020 ó aka a total of 4-5 months.

Frankly, Iíve ordered my last several Lexus, BMW, and MBZ, and know that dealerships have ZERO real data until the factory build date is confirmed ó and that can take 30-45 days from what Iíve seen before. I donít try to set anything earlier in my mind, so Iím not disappointed. Itís taken 4-6 months for my last 5 custom Japanese and German cars to be delivered. My Tesla MS was the big exception 4 years ago ó just a month from order-on-the-web to delivery not 600 miles south of the factory up near San Fran to me down in San Diego. Additionally, I understand from the dealership that Volvo in Sweden tends to switch the lines to build certain models continuously at a time, then switch the lines over to another, to keep the quality up (vs building multiple models concurrently), so I expect there may be a little longer delay than what happens with other mfgrs with higher volume and more dedicated manufacturing lines and plants ó e.g. when I pre-ordered my Lexus SC430 nearly 9 months before the first one hit the streets here in the US back in the day, there was a 1.5 year backlog by the time the first ones were actually being delivered ó Lexus put their dedicated single plant and line for that model in Japan from 1 to 2, and then into 3-shift 7x24 production mode for many months to try and eat into the backlog and improve delivery times. As much as Iím ready to have my new XC60 T8 sooner than later, I doubt Volvo is able to do anything similar given their relatively smaller scale and less flexibility with aggregate number of production lines compared to some other larger mfgrs ó especially since they moved XC60 back to Sweden to try and avoid all the trade war issues that have ensued. I donít know it for a fact, but it seems to me it was a miracle how Volvo was able to so quickly shift the build from China back to Sweden a short while ago ó but as such, I also doubt they built new facilities and rather just retooled ones already in use trying to balance needs for various models across their line ó so itís likely really tough for them to increase production volume like some other mfgrs can do moving say 1 or 2 shifts per day to 3. Time will tell.
      Last edited by BertL; 10-01-2019 at 09:56 PM.
      Bert

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      I donít know it for a fact, but it seems to me it was a miracle how Volvo was able to so quickly shift the build from China back to Sweden a short while ago ó but as such, I also doubt they built new facilities and rather just retooled ones already in use trying to balance needs for various models across their line ó so itís likely really tough for them to increase production volume like some other mfgrs can do moving say 1 or 2 shifts per day to 3. Time will tell.
      My understanding is they've kept production of XC60s in both countries, and the US issue is more a matter of which units get shipped where, with Europe now getting vehicles manufactured in China. We just took OSD on an XC60 T8 yesterday, and factory tour included watching XC60 bodies being prepared. That said, it was an abbreviated tour, and the final assembly portion of the plant was off limits to visitors, possibly due to their getting ready to launch/ship all-electric XC40 shortly.
      2020 XC60 T8 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      Could I pull my XC60 T8 into the garage; Park; Plug in my ChargePoint wall charger J1772 (that will not have power) to the T8, and when the wall connector later applies power on my schedule at 12 midnight, the T8 will begin charging
      Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the ChargePoint charger is designed to do.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

As Fusion mentioned above, I just use a simple timer, works fine. Far cheaper than a real EVSE, and a normal wall plug is perfectly adequate to charge up the car overnight.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVF16JG

And hey I'll add, low cost EV charging rate timings are changing next month in California!
      Off-Peak power used to be 11PM to 7AM, now it's going to be Midnight to 3PM.
      Last edited by Kranvagn; 10-02-2019 at 04:11 PM.
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

In the VOC App, after you have been connected to a charging location, you can select it or add it to your saved locations.

Tapping on it opens the options to set a timer and a reminder (if the car is stopped and unplugged over 30 minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
      In the VOC App, after you have been connected to a charging location, you can select it or add it to your saved locations.

Tapping on it opens the options to set a timer and a reminder (if the car is stopped and unplugged over 30 minutes).
      FYI, Tapping a saved location in the VOC app (v4.6.7 on iOS13.x) does NOT open a timer on iOS devices - at least in the US. Maybe it works outside the US and/or Androids.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      FYI, Tapping a saved location in the VOC app (v4.6.7 on iOS13.x) does NOT open a timer on iOS devices - at least in the US. Maybe it works outside the US and/or Androids.
      Same for Android, it used to not work and now it's just missing entirely (yes you can enable the 30m plug-in reminder, but no more charging times).
      Somewhat similarly, while my wife's A3 eTron Sportback does have a timer, it insist on recharging at least to 60% before it shuts off and waits.
      My best guess is some CARB rule technicality has killed this...
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

I also have v4.6.7 on iOS13.x but it could be a regional restriction.
      I can’t really figure out what would be the reason not to give that option in the US.
      It shows as ‚Äúscheduled charging‚ÄĚ

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements