Yet another brake thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Yet another brake thread

Hi all, rotors and pads on my caR are out of spec so I'm looking to replace. At $80 a piece and offering little if I upgrade, brembo blank rotors are my top choice. But WOWIE if there aren't as many outdated threads as there are brands, models, and compounds. What I'm looking for is a daily driver pad that won't be prone to fading/failure under spirited driving conditions. Dust is no concern, but I'd like to avoid sounding like a rusty 1990s accord driving through parking lots/in stop 'n go.

Basically, I want pads on a $200-$250 (both front and rear) budget that are good in the suburbs and won't send me off a cliff if I decide to take the long way home

I'm leaning toward the stoptech sport performance pads (https://www.vivaperformance.com/stop...ads-s60r-v70r/) but youR guys' input/suggestions/experience would be greatly appreciated before I pull the trigger

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Why are the previous threads outdated? I'd say they're still accurate, no game changers have come to the market any time recent, at least from my recollection. Stoptechs are fine. I went with Hawk high performance street pads.

instagram: @oliepyle
      '05 S60R - 2.4R, RaceS60R FMIC, RaceS60R Downpipe, SPEC LWFW/Stage 3 clutch, Elevate upper mount, Forge CBV, Phuzzy HDTCV, Eibach, IPD Sways, Powerflex/Superflex CA bushings, JVC M730 Head Unit (Android Auto, Subwoofer, Back Up Camera)
      '99 Audi A4 1.8T Stage 3...

I've been using centric rotors and akebono pad. I've been very pleased with the combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 50K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 70k

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I got stock rotors and Hawk pads. I have to say I liked the modulation of the stock pads better than the Hawks. It felt like there was more bite at the end of the stroke. But that was on worn equipment. When my pads go Iíll be goin back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stock rotors and Akebono pads here when I did all 4 points last time. Works fine.

Getting ready to do brakes because last winter was frightening with how whatever pads were installed by whoever serviced it for the PO will do absolutely nothing when it is cold aind raining. Reminded me of the nightmare of when I had ceramic pads on my Nissan many years ago, when it was 35F and raining you could stand with both feet on the brake pedal and nothing would happen for what felt like minutes (but was really about 5 seconds, which is FOREVER when you need the brakes)

Cold/wet grip is more important to me than dust. You can clean dust.
      '06 S60 R GT
      '84 RX-7 260hp N/A
      '81 RX-7 restoration project\
      '73 RX-3
      '86 VW Quantum Syncro turbo 2.3l 10v swap

Quote Originally Posted by Arbelac View Post
      Stock rotors and Akebono pads here when I did all 4 points last time. Works fine.
      Same here. I installed Akebono pads when replacing the original factory pads and have been very pleased with them. I chose the Akebonos based on forum discussions related to low dusting and good performance and I have not been disappointed with them.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

+1 for akebono pads, Brembo rotors with the FCPeuro lifetime replacement baby.
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, Snabb Tial Recirc Kit, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback, TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines, CFE+, UR Front Strut Brace, IPD Poly Top Engine Mount and Torque Mount.

2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic
      The $900 daily. IPD Poly Subframe Bushing Inserts, Everything Else OEM.

Akebono pads,

Front Centric(StopTech) 127.39035R and 127.39035L

Rear Centric 125.39036 x2
      Last edited by Rodtheviking; 09-30-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Hi all, thanks for the input here. I've heard a lot of good things about akebono pads on other threads and this one. They're $110 for a front and rear set on rockauto right now so I'm grabbing those bad boys up. As far as rotors go, I'm planning to send it on some powerstop blanks. $45 a piece on rockauto is hard to beat, much cheaper than the brembos too. I'd love to get some slotted rotors on my caR but just can't justify spending $130 a piece on slotted rotors when I could do all four corners for $180 or so if I go for powerstops so that's where I'm at. Thanks again for letting me rake your guys' brains.

I'd skip the powerstops.. heard they warp rather quickly.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/40353071

These are the high carbon rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodtheviking View Post
      I'd skip the powerstops.. heard they warp rather quickly.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/40353071

These are the high carbon rotors.

Sorry to say, but this site does not have rotors for the R... they have the 286mm,305mm and 320mm rotors but not the 330mm. When entering make/model, they stop at "S60 2.5T AWD"

I replaced w Power Stop EBR895XPR Front Evolution Drilled and Slotted Rotor Pair in July $166 w stock pads. So far so good and looks nice.

Attachment 55423
      Grey 2004 S60R Atacama MT
      Grey 2004 V70R Gobi GT
      Blue 2006 V70R Gobi GT

Centric Premium Rotors with Akebono Pads
      2006 S60R Passion Red and body kit with Nordkap with GT ---> CFWerks Carbon Fiber V-Style front spoiler, IPD Silicon Hot Side Tubing, IPD HDTCV, Forge CBV, IPD Oval Cat-Back, IPD Silicon Vacuum Lines, Snabb MAF to Turbo Silicon Intake, IPD Retro Poly Upper Mount, IPD secondary CAI, Nav, Climate, After-Market Head-Unit, AMSOIL lubes.

Brembo blanks are pretty much the same as the OE Volvo rotors. Zimmerman are not bad, either. Centric are okay and they're cheap. Raybestos are cheap and not good- they wear funny, most likely the run-out is poor, but I don't have the gauges to check that.

As for pads, you can't really do much better than OE Volvo pads for quiet, not prone to fading and performs well. They dust like crazy, but they are very good otherwise.

Stoptechs are noisy- I didn't like them- they were quiet at first and then they got squeaky. Akebono euro ceramic were the absolute worst- I replaced them with 50% wear because they were so bad.

Hawk HPS are good for good performance and not too noisy. It's a big pad and pretty easy to get squeaky, so you really have to be careful in pad selection. I've tried at least 8 different compounds so far:
      OE Volvo
      Hawk HPS
      Axxis Deluxe
      Textar OE equivalent
      Akebono Euro Ceramic
      Stoptech Sport
      Bosch Quietcast
      Centric C-Tek metallic

I love Akebonos and put them on all my cars. Maybe a dry climate reduces squeaking because I've never had a problem. I also like the zimmerman rotors with the zinc coating but I didn't find them for the R last time I looked.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70R M66 - Sonic Blue/Nordkap, 2.4 T5 motor, Snabb intake & intercooler, IPD oval exhaust, stock turbo and tune (for now).
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

Timely. Iím going to probably do FCP kit with Brembo and Volvo pads. Iím no speed demon. Theyíve been good so far and Iíll likely get some Sonax to help clean the newly powder coated pegs.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      Maybe a dry climate reduces squeaking because I've never had a problem.
      interesting theory. I'm in a dry climate as well and don't have squeaking issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Timely. Iím going to probably do FCP kit with Brembo and Volvo pads. Iím no speed demon. Theyíve been good so far and Iíll likely get some Sonax to help clean the newly powder coated pegs.
      If you don't mind the dust, then I think this is a very good idea. The factory pads had great stopping power.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

Running Brembo rotors, Stock pads (Better bite than akebonos and hawk hps) but mroe dust. Also running SS lines and Ti shims.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by rhmorris View Post
      Sorry to say, but this site does not have rotors for the R... they have the 286mm,305mm and 320mm rotors but not the 330mm. When entering make/model, they stop at "S60 2.5T AWD"
      The ones I linked are 330mm, for the R. Search the part number as the car selection is kinda weird. You have to select S60 then it brings up the "R" option.

Part number 40353071

IPD has all Bosch quietcast on sale right now.
      Last edited by Rodtheviking; 10-21-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Yeah, Iím going to do SS lines also. Ti shims? Whatís that?
      Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Running Brembo rotors, Stock pads (Better bite than akebonos and hawk hps) but mroe dust. Also running SS lines and Ti shims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Yeah, Iím going to do SS lines also. Ti shims? Whatís that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.vivaperformance.com/tita...60r-v70r-rear/

Ho-lee.

Totally unnecessary to do Ti shims if you’re not tracking the car. If you’re putting that much heat into the brakes on the street, you either need to learn how to drive better or are driving like a nutcase.

Yet another brake thread

For half the cost you can get a Ti sheet on McMaster and tin-snip yourself some shims. And McMaster is expensive.

Also 316/304 SS has lover thermal conductivity than Ti.

Agreed!
      Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post
      Totally unnecessary to do Ti shims if youíre not tracking the car. If youíre putting that much heat into the brakes on the street, you either need to learn how to drive better or are driving like a nutcase.

Good to know SS would be a better choice, but this is beyond my daily.
      Curious though - wouldn't this also add to potential noises?
      Quote Originally Posted by janik_kaspar View Post
      For half the cost you can get a Ti sheet on McMaster and tin-snip yourself some shims. And McMaster is expensive.
      Also 316/304 SS has lover thermal conductivity than Ti.

Yeah. I have access to a nice cnc, I could make some for A LOT less.

Yeah, unless your tracking it doesn't make sense. I paid 80 for my fronts 3 years ago. 144 is STEEEEEEP.

That said my TI shims and SS lines may be for sale soon.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Yeah, unless your tracking it doesn't make sense. I paid 80 for my fronts 3 years ago. 144 is STEEEEEEP.

That said my TI shims and SS lines may be for sale soon.
      Tracking it.
      Have gone through a set of two piece rotors on the front. So, need replacements. Previous manufacturer no longer available. Recommendations?
      I will take those TI shims…

If you're taking your car to the track, you'll need a lot more than that.

Two piece rotors are a good start, but you need high temp brake fluid and ducting to keep the brakes cool.

[QUOTE

IPD has all Bosch quietcast on sale right now.[/QUOTE]

Quietcast isn`t quiet

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements