C70 performance increase
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

C70 performance increase

My new to me 2007 C70 is really enjoyable ( wife even thinks it's great!)

I'm quite happy with the 218 HP but as I know in the future I'll own another I need to ask about performance improvements in later MY. What can be done? think I even have seen comments of later MY having improvements buried in the computer that can be utilized. If so what is that all about. Also (please ignore newbie's ignorance) what is Polestar????!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

C70 performance increase

Polestar (might see it abbreviated as P* on the forums) is the official Volvo performance tune. It’s not available for your ‘07, as you surmised: https://engineered.polestar.com/us/u...=C70&market=us

I’ll defer to others who also have it as to whether it’s worth the upgrade if/when you get a newer C70 — I’m not sure mine is working properly, and I’m not willing to pay my dealer to have it diagnosed just for them to say it’s fine. I’m not as impressed as I thought I would be. It was supposed to increase hp from 227 to 250, and torque from 236 lb-ft to 273. If you go this route in the future, use a discount code or special offer from your dealer. I paid about $300 less this way when I did mine a few years ago.

Still considering a Hilton tune for my ‘08, but it’s DW’s daily and she couldn’t care less. Many other priorities right now.

BD

’98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)
      Last edited by 88domer; 09-29-2019 at 08:01 AM.
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

Quote Originally Posted by 88domer View Post
      Polestar (might see it abbreviated as P* on the forums) is the official Volvo performance tune. It’s not available for your ‘07, as you surmised: https://engineered.polestar.com/us/u...=C70&market=us

It was supposed to increase hp from 227 to 250, and torque from 236 lb-ft to 273. If you go this route in the future, use a discount code or special offer from your dealer. I paid about $300 less this way when I did mine a few years ago.

Still considering a Hilton tune for my ‘08,
      Can't say enough about how much I appreciate you guy's help to the newbie.

That said, looks like I can go up a few HP by just moving up to '08-'13 models.

Damn if you used a $300 discount ticket, Have to ask what this would cost at the dealer? (If you don't mind my nosiness!) If you didn't really notice the 23 HP increase I have to ask is it worth the (what seems like big bucks) $$$$?

What is a Hilton tune?

This 72 year old man child has had a 60 year old dream to own 100 cars. Being a GM employee for years has helped. The C70 is number 95 so if I live long enough...………….. If there are 5 more in the future what would be your thoughts on the "best" next MY. Won't be awhile but I'll research the answer ad nauseum so your collective input would be appreciated.

(If I'm here 5 more years I can hardly wait to be able to answer a newbie's future question!)

Thanks in advance for your continued help and support!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I only regret the $800 it cost me to get P*! Got a Volvo $200 coupon just for calling and asking. Otherwise, I’d buy it again. This is the first car that I ever bought for my pure enjoyment. At 77, that’s way too long to wait. Family needs always took precedence in the past, although I did enjoy some of my choices.

I regularly “check” to feel the difference it makes, and it is noticeable in certain speed ranges. I like to surprise drivers of Dodge Chargers, various “hot” Subarus, etc. on the freeway Grand Prix.

I’m still planning an exhaust upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2013 C70 Platinum Plus. Polestar Tune. Mods4Cars Smart Top Module, Black Ember Metallic, Midir 18”. Bought 1/2018/13,800 mi.
      2004 XC70 (2008-2018 - 189,000mi.)SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
      What is a Hilton tune?
      It’s just one of many aftermarket ECU tuners: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...erformance%21=

Elevate and RICA are a couple of other popular ones.

I’ll have to look for my receipt to give you the exact cost for my P* tune, but I posted it a while back. Think it was around $750+.

BD

’98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

Quote Originally Posted by 88domer View Post
      It’s just one of many aftermarket ECU tuners: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...erformance%21=

Elevate and RICA are a couple of other popular ones.

I’ll have to look for my receipt to give you the exact cost for my P* tune, but I posted it a while back. Think it was around $750+.

BD

Hilton is the way to go if you are looking for a tailored approach. As every car will respond differently. Its also nice to be able to add other performance additions like water/meth and have the car specifically tuned for the best results.

My 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2008 Volvo C30:
      Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning

you want an ecu tune. ecu is the engine's computer. you can load new software that increases various parameters like the boost the turbo provides, fuel/air mixture, etc. polestar is basically the volvo/oem tune...but not sure if it's available for the 2007. plus at this point i imagine you're out of any warrant so may as well save 1/2 the money and get an aftermarket tune.

various tuners to choose from...i like my shark tune. paid about $700. but there' also elevate, ipd, etc. get in the neighborhood of 250hp/250 torque, much more frisky acceleration especially freeway speed passing. it's great. that along with an improved suspension have really made the car awesome.

you download your car's map, upload it to them, they modify it and you download onto a device that plugs into your car's obd port. you can always load back the original map (settings) in case it's necessary for smog check/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
      My new to me 2007 C70 is really enjoyable ( wife even thinks it's great!)

I'm quite happy with the 218 HP but as I know in the future I'll own another I need to ask about performance improvements in later MY. What can be done? think I even have seen comments of later MY having improvements buried in the computer that can be utilized. If so what is that all about. Also (please ignore newbie's ignorance) what is Polestar????!!!!
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

Various “tunes” not various tuners. Significant difference. Having your car tuned, versus uploading a tune based on said current mods is quite a bit different. A “tuner” is going to tune your car based on what they see in real time. Not just feed a tune into the ECU. There will always be a difference between being dyno/road tuned vs plug and play. Im sure if shark tuned your car on the dyno it would have different results than them selling you a “tune” based on typical mods and parameters and just uploading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2008 Volvo C30:
      Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements