SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Dasgaswolf's 2000 V70 R

28K views 159 replies 32 participants last post by  JaredR 
#1 · (Edited)
thread for 'Heidi', my 2000 V70 R

After 15 years of driving and tinkering with Land Rovers, I purchased a 1993 Volvo 245 from BaT last year. I've had a blast driving it -- however I needed a vehicle more capable of comfortable interstate travel.

I ironed out a modest budget with my wife and began hunting for a wagon. My taste has always trended towards the esoteric and so the field quickly narrowed down to V70R wagons. Other candidates included Acura TSX Sportwagon, BMW E39 wagon, Audi C5, and the XC70.

Maintenance intensity was not really a chief concern of mine, as I'm fond of working on my cars and motorcycles, but service history and provenance were essential. The P2s don't scratch the itch for me in the way P80s do -- and so I began my search in earnest.

Following 6 or 7 weeks of searching, it was clear that the 2000 V70R posted here was the best example of any make meeting my criteria, other than this 535i. After it became clear the Bimmer would exceed my budget, I went to see the V70R and it was in remarkable condition -- even areas that typically belie the age of a vehicle such as seals and stripping looked new. It was a close to a brand new car -- on the inside -- as I've ever seen, and my 245 is pretty minty itself.

The PO is an enthusiastic Volvo owner himself and knew the car back to front. There was a brief negotiation & I took her home the next day. Unfortunately the car's maiden voyage was a little bumpy and she arrived at my garage on the back of a tow truck.

After a brief diagnosis it appeared the ETM was the likely culprit -- in this case I decided to let an R expert in Rockville, MD already familiar with the car sort it out before officially welcoming it home.

In a flash of serendipity, Jalopnik featured the car a day later. Its readers, egged on by a member here apparently both shocked at its asking price and delighted with its ETM failure, excoriated the PO, the car, and myself in the comments: they delivered a "Crack Pipe!" verdict before graciously steering me to the door-dinged 145k P2 I should've bought instead for, um, $2k less. Ah, the internet.

Immediate plans include finishing off the Stage 0 with new pads, rotors, and a bleed. Then I plan to address the only aesthetic sore spot: the hood. It has 2 or 3 noticeable imperfections and some mild chicken scratching. I'm either going to find a new hood or have it professionally repainted.

Look forward to getting to know you guys & thanks for the warm welcome and help so far.

See less See more
#138 ·
Not much to report. Changed out the brakes -- running OEM 302mm rotors and the OEM caliper. Every time I dig into this car a little bit I'm impressed at how clean everything is.
Nice. Genuine Volvo pads too?

#139 ·
Please be a bit more mindful about sharing people's identifying information on a public forum.

#145 ·
Strange issue: I found the spare key and went to start the car this morning, it started fine and then immediately died. Oh lord, I thought. I tried it again, same.

Then I swapped back to the original key and the car started w/out issue (as it has since I replaced ETM/fuel pump). Is there a chip system I'm not aware of that somehow is absent/failed in the spare key?

#146 ·
Try this, take your good key and hold it against the spare key at a 90 degree angle. Insert spare key and start it. If it stays running, your spare may need to be reprogrammed. No guarantees but i had this problem in a Ford.

#148 ·
Thanks -- I'll give that a shot

There is a transponder chip in the key that communicates with the immobilizer.
I figured -- but is this typical behavior for an immobilizer? To cut the engine off after a succesful start? I thought immobilizers were typically tied to the EFI -- unless the ECU got the right code, it wouldn't allow fuel to flow. Perhaps there just enough primed fuel available to turn the motor over a couple times?

#151 ·
had an unfortunate slip on any icy patch a few weeks ago, which resulted in having to replace a tie-rod and steering knuckle and also rashed up two of my Comets. so had an excuse to look for new wheels, as I was never a huge fan of the light over dark... fortunately TJ still had his VSTs for sale and I think we can all agree that they look phenomenal.

so we met up today and I picked em up.

#152 ·
looks good

Throw some winter tires on the comets!

#153 ·
I may do that -- but I have set of Meteors that I've been meaning to mount w/winters. The Comets have Contis with lots of life in them -- so I'm either going to sell them cheap, or see what I can do to rehab the rash. Likely the former, so if you're looking hit me up...

#155 ·
Hi all, checking in, and would love some help in diagnosing a strange sound I've encountered.

The car has served well as our daily driver and kid hauler (my 3 y/o daughter calls it the "Bolbo" -- so I'm considering "BLBOWAGNS" [Bilbo Baggins] as a vanity plate). It now sits at about 113,000 miles. The only thing it has needed over the past year was a new A/C compressor.

Recently the motor has made this strange sound on start up. Once the car is sufficiently warm (~10 min later) it seems to go away, although sometimes it reappears.

The sound reminds me a bit of a baseball card in bicycle spokes, albeit at much higher RPM. But the sound is there without the fan running, so I think we can rule that out. There doesn't appear to be any obvious interference with the belts or pulleys that I can see -- but I'm limited to peering at this on the street.

What do you guys think?

#156 ·
Is that a tensioner going bad? You better get that looked at right away! Take it over to Rockville and have TJ peek in the shop?

#157 ·
No idea what that is, tensioner might be a good place to start. Either way, have it checked out immediately. You don't want to have do engine work on a 2000 VR.

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ
#159 ·
Check out my thread with similar sound… Bad Alternator Pulley Noise… accessory belt tore off while driving and was able to make it home to fix.

Reactions: dasgaswolf
#160 ·
That does sound like a very similar sound.

I would also consider removingthe plastic engine covers to make sure something isn't rubbing on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.