SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Does the 2020 XC90 concave grill fit older models?

31K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  Yakshaving 
#1 ·
Just wondering is anyone has looked into upgrading their 2016-2019 XC90 grill to the 2020 version. The sales guy at my Volvo said he thought the dimensions are different, so it probably wouldn't fit, but I don't see a change in the size of the opening.

#7 ·
Nope. I had a co worker who took his XL F150 and put a Platinum grill on it... frankly it looks pretty good. Because the Volvo relies more on the lines of the body than too much extra trim work I don't think you'll look out of place by swapping grills.

#15 ·
I think you have to look really hard to distinguish an Inscription from a Momentum. Even the T5 now has the same shape tailpipes. Volvo finally got smart and reduced their part numbers. All XC90s now have the same roof rails, tailpipes, and front and rear bumpers as far as I can tell. The only difference on the outside is the side panel, which has some chrome on the inscription.

#17 ·
Is the new R-Design grill also concave like the Inscription? I found some pics online that seem to be the 2020 R-Design but the grill does not look concave...

#18 ·
Anyone want to trade?

Just picked up my 2020 Inscription in Crystal White. Absolutely love it besides the new grill design.

Seems I'm in the minority here but for some reason I feel that the concave grille isn't more "modern" (as Volvo markets it) but makes the front end look more dated/smaller over the 19MY Inscription Grill. Looks like a step back over a step forward in my personal opinion.

Anyone wiling to trade? I know it's not the easiest to remove, but willing to do the work since it just rubs me the wrong way whenever I look at it.

Open hearing why you guys like the concave so much!?

#20 ·
Just picked up my 2020 Inscription in Crystal White. Absolutely love it besides the new grill design.

Seems I'm in the minority here but for some reason I feel that the concave grille isn't more "modern" (as Volvo markets it) but makes the front end look more dated/smaller over the 19MY Inscription Grill. Looks like a step back over a step forward in my personal opinion.

Anyone wiling to trade? I know it's not the easiest to remove, but willing to do the work since it just rubs me the wrong way whenever I look at it.

Open hearing why you guys like the concave so much!?
If you're in the tri state I will trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Okay, looking to upgrade my 2018 R-Design to the new black trim grill... looks like that is for a 2021 and not a 2020 (still satin silver for that year). I checked a VIN on a new model and a parts guy said he thought the part number should be #316555799 but none of the online parts sites show 2021 model year as a selection. Can anyone verify if that it the right part number for an all black R-Design grill?

#27 ·
I would not bother buying new grill! Just wrap the silver trim around it with 3M Gloss Wrap, did it on my 2020 and actually looks better than the 2021 lol The Volvo arrow also got wrapped so it's all black, the 2021 arrow is all silver. I can upload a pic if you want.

#32 ·
Hi guys, I am about to purchase a 2018 model XC90 T6 Inscription with low milage and the urban luxury body kit. I had asked the dealer if they could swap the grille for either an R-Design or the 2020 Inscription. They told me that on my model (maybe because of the urban luxury kit bumper?) this wasn't possible. I can't really believe this. Does anyone know? Thanks

#43 ·
Hi just bought a 2018 xc90 momentum t6. Love everything about it except the grille and looking to upgrade. Anyone with this exact same car do an upgrade to the concave grille, and have photos and possibly instructions on how to do this? I see some on ebay but want to know this is definitely possible before I do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.