Upgrading standard sound?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Are there any good options here?

In the last several cars I've owned I've never purposely shopped for the premium sound, and never been disappointed either, but with my 2017 S90 T6 Momentum Plus, I feel like the sound leaves a lot to be desired.

Is there any way to give it a little bump without breaking the bank?

Maybe a little trunk sub or something? Is it difficult to wire in this car? I noticed there is some sort of box under the cover in the trunk with lots of connections on it. Is it easy to tap into the required signals there?

I'm not looking to have one of those cars where the whole damned thing vibrates due to the subwoofer, just a small upgrade.

I'd like to hear what other owners have done.

Much obliged,
      Matt

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you didn't go with the upgraded audio system from Volvo (the Bang system) I think you missed out.

Quote Originally Posted by RYJS60 View Post
      If you didn't go with the upgraded audio system from Volvo (the Bang system) I think you missed out.
      It was a CPO model, and these S90's aren't exactly that common. So when a T6 came along with the Momentum Plus package I wanted, I felt I needed to snap it up or miss out.

Sadly it didn't have the premium sound. In fact, premium sound wasn't even on my shopping list, as I've never needed it before. The standard sound has always been enough for me, but in this car, that really isn't the case.

Either way, that ship has sailed. Surely someone must have done something after market to improve upon the base factory audio?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You could be the first one. Just put an RCA filter plugged to your rear speakers and an amplifier with low pass band. Some of the newer RCA filters can also provide the supply to tell the amp the car is on. I used to have this setup in my previous 5-series wagon. Just adding the bass makes a huge difference in sound quality.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

I agree, I also have the basic sound system in my S90 and it ain't all that. I have usually opted for a standard stereo system in previous cars I've owned and they were good enough or I could upgrade them without much effort. I mostly listen to traditional and modern jazz and it just does not sound that great. I like to hear those brush sticks on cymbals, a double bass when bowed you can hear the details as it rubs across the strings. Hearing fingers depress the valves on woodwinds, etc. I could hear all these details on a fairly lower end system in other cars, but not his one. I have a great home system and know how to adjust equalization settings, etc. It helps in this car but not well enough. And from what I've seen in other posts on this forum, it would be extremely difficult to try to upgrade. I got a good deal on the car but would have purchased an upgraded model if I knew it would be near impossible to upgrade the stereo.
      2018 S90 T5 Momentum

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      You could be the first one.
      There's a few people over here in Sweden who already did it.
      Here's one, scroll down a bit to a picture with the boot open:
      https://www.instagram.com/norsken97/
      Current:
      Volvo V90 T5 R-design MY18

Previous:
      Volvo V50 1.8F "R-design" MY08
      VW Golf 3 GT '94

Quote Originally Posted by rentalcar View Post
      There's a few people over here in Sweden who already did it.
      Here's one, scroll down a bit to a picture with the boot open:
      https://www.instagram.com/norsken97/
      Wow.

That's a bit larger than I had in mind for mine.

I'm not into competition sound, and I don't feel the need to have a serious bass solution.

I'm thinking more of a subtle augmentation of the sound might be what I'm going for.

Rather than building a custom box, I wonder if there is any product on the market that is good.

I am a bit of a home theatre audiophile, but I've never bothered with car audio, so I have little to no knowledge there. I'd imagine since the cabin of a car is comparably small when compared to a house, I'd need much smaller capacity.

The goal would be to get something musical that blends with the factory stereo, not something that gets too boomy.

I wonder if any of these are good:
      https://www.crutchfield.com/g_51000/....html?tp=64082
      Last edited by mattlach; 10-04-2019 at 12:56 PM.

This little unit seems to get surprisingly good reviews for its size:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8P...ce-B-8PTD.html

Or maybe this is a better option, with the 10" driver:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B10...ce-B-10AS.html

Both are self contained units, and should give me a nice small boost to fill out the factory sound without going crazy.

Now I just need to figure out how to wire it.

I saw an amp looking box under the trunk cover right behind the seats. It even looked like it might have some open connections on it. Not sure if that actually is the amp, but if it is, this may turn out being easier than I thought.

For years I used to have a Bazooka 8", that was plenty! The only weird thing about it is that the cylinder is hard to place versus a slim rectangular box.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Wow.

That's a bit larger than I had in mind for mine.
      Yeah I was just messing around, but "everything" is possible even with our cars!
      I've personally been thinking of swapping my standard speakers for the B&W ones. Mostly for the looks but any sound performance gain is welcome even though I'm actually quite happy with the standard option.
      Current:
      Volvo V90 T5 R-design MY18

Previous:
      Volvo V50 1.8F "R-design" MY08
      VW Golf 3 GT '94

Quote Originally Posted by rentalcar View Post
      Yeah I was just messing around, but "everything" is possible even with our cars!
      I've personally been thinking of swapping my standard speakers for the B&W ones. Mostly for the looks but any sound performance gain is welcome even though I'm actually quite happy with the standard option.
      Yeah, I have not missed any clarity with the standard speakers. They sound very clear and distortion free.

They are just a bit bright and forward for me, even with treble turned all the way down, and bass all the way up.

I figure I could solve this with a moderate subwoofer.

I am very interested in hearing how your system turns out. I also have the standard system and really want a sub.
      2018 S90 T5 AWD Momentum

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
      I agree, I also have the basic sound system in my S90 and it ain't all that. I have usually opted for a standard stereo system in previous cars I've owned and they were good enough or I could upgrade them without much effort. I mostly listen to traditional and modern jazz and it just does not sound that great. I like to hear those brush sticks on cymbals, a double bass when bowed you can hear the details as it rubs across the strings. Hearing fingers depress the valves on woodwinds, etc. I could hear all these details on a fairly lower end system in other cars, but not his one. I have a great home system and know how to adjust equalization settings, etc. It helps in this car but not well enough. And from what I've seen in other posts on this forum, it would be extremely difficult to try to upgrade. I got a good deal on the car but would have purchased an upgraded model if I knew it would be near impossible to upgrade the stereo.
      My county Police Interceptor Utility has a better sound quality when I stream music from YouTube on my iPhone than my V90 wagon.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvo’s: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBullShow View Post
      I am very interested in hearing how your system turns out. I also have the standard system and really want a sub.
      Well, I am in the early planning stages. I usually do a lot of research before I go ahead, so it will likely be a while.

Right now though, my needs are a little bass boost (not car audio competition craziness), with an emphasis on musicality over deep power.

Because of this, I am considering a pre-made sealed unit, not a ported one. This may change as I do more research though.

Anyone just swap out the standard speakers for something better without amps/subs/etc.? I've been wondering if that would be worthwhile.

Yes I only switched the tweeters and mid range speaker in front doors and roof. I also added the tweeters and mid range to the rear doors. From my19 the roof mid range was moved to the rear door.

Roof speakers

Added speakers to the rear door

Quote Originally Posted by HitTheRoadJack View Post
      Yes I only switched the tweeters and mid range speaker in front doors and roof. I also added the tweeters and mid range to the rear doors. From my19 the roof mid range was moved to the rear door.

Roof speakers

Added speakers to the rear door

1.) There are speakers in the roof ???

2.) The rear door speakers are empty in the base config?

3.) Are those the official Volvo B&W speaker parts?

4.) Details please? How much did it cost? Which parts did you get? Where did they go? Was it an easy install?

So, I did some poking around the car today to start plotting for an install.

For trunk subs, I guess most people tap into the hat shelf speakers, and run a wire with a filter to the trunk? This could be doable, but a little tricky. The roof of the trunk is all metal, so the accessibility to the bottom of the hat shelf speakers is limited. I might be able to poke a wire through one of the little holes, and then pull the speaker, tap into the wires under it, and replace the speaker. Going to be tight work with my big hands though, especially so close to the rear window.

hatshelf1.jpgtrunk1.jpg

I did some further poking around and found this little junction box looking thing under the floor panel just behind the seats:

box1.jpg

The holder for the simcard for Mobile internet is right next to it, so I know it has something to do with wireless communication, but there sure are a lot of wires coming out of it. I wonder if one of them carries an audio signal... That would certainly make things easier...

1.) There are speakers in the roof ???

2.) The rear door speakers are empty in the base config?

3.) Are those the official Volvo B&W speaker parts?

4.) Details please? How much did it cost? Which parts did you get? Where did they go? Was it an easy install?
      1 I was thinking V90
      2 the base should be there but just lift of the door panel to see for your self, check youtube.
      3 yes they are used B&W speakers
      4 eBay or some junkyard

Your photo shows the 360cam box.

The amp looks normaly like this
      Last edited by HitTheRoadJack; 10-14-2019 at 01:54 AM.

N4n, many are prolly listening to 192kb MP3 via BT. Shiz inn shiz out. Especially if you're streaming Spotyfy, XM/Sirius. HD radio, for the most part, is also compressed.
      MP3 is band limited and compressed format and BT is compressed.

But lets say you've moved beyond that and are listening to m4a, flac, or wma, better quality lossless formats.
      The stock sound in the '18 S90 Volvo is pretty damn good on the low end. It's a little harsh in the upper middle; I have mine dipped a bit at 1K and 3K.
      Unless you're running a hip hop night club, extra bottom is rather unrealistic. But to each their own. Drop a couple quid on some 8" ported alum cone woofs.
      I have a Mc 2115 I'll sell you get them babies clean. Just need to get [email protected] in your car.
      FWIW, dl a SPL meter for your phone. I use SmartTools Sound Meter for Android. They're good enough. If you're listening at > 95db for hours on end, one day you will be on the business side of "huh?".
      Yes, I crank AC/DC, Coltrane, Bjork and the Stones now and then to 95 plus. But mostly 85db.
      Not to brag, I have 40 + years in professional sound TV and music. The consoles I work on are worth more then a tricked out S90.

Quote Originally Posted by metropical View Post
      N4n, many are prolly listening to 192kb MP3 via BT. Shiz inn shiz out. Especially if you're streaming Spotyfy, XM/Sirius. HD radio, for the most part, is also compressed.
      MP3 is band limited and compressed format and BT is compressed.
      I agree with you on Bluetooth. It is a very lossy stream, and since it is done real time on very limited hardware, the quality suffers a lot.

I am going to FUNDAMENTALLY disagree with you when it comes to mp3 though. Mp3 quality issues are a complete urban legend at this point. I recently typed this in another thread, but let me add it here too:

In the early days of mp3, when CPU's were slower and it took a lot of time to encode mp3 files, there were many really ****ty mp3 encoders which took shortcuts to compress the files faster, and produce absolutely terrible audio quality. the Xing MP3 encoder was probably the most notorious of these.

In the last 15 years though this just hasn't been the case, unless someone who has no idea what they are doing has done the encode.

A good 10-15 years ago, some forum members on Hydrogenaudio.org (a popular Audiophile forum at the time) did a thorough double blinded study. They coded an A/B tester application which people on the forum could download and test on their own high end audiophile equipment.

It played a few snippets of different styles of music, side by side. One was the direct WAV file (uncompressed identical to CD) rip. The other was a Lame (high end mp3 encoder) encoded mp3 file using the "--alt-preset standard" setting*.

*(The command line settings for Lame presets have changed since then, but --alt-preset standard, was essentially a middle of the road stereo VBR encode producing VBR mp3 files that tended to average ~160 bitrate files)

I can't remember the details, but I think there was a rock, jazz, vocal and classical sample. Something like that.

Volunteers (all of which used their own "audiophile grade" equipment could switch back and forth listening to the two samples of each music clip as many times as they wanted, before selecting the one they thought was the mp3 sample. Their selection was recorded, and submitted to the database.

The result?

Even audiophiles on high end equipment only got it right 50% of the time. Or in other words, no better than chance, picking one of the samples randomly.

So, while - yes - there have been a lot of terrible compressed files over the years, some of them sounding absolutely awful, mp3 can also sound very good indistinguishable from the source, if you use the right settings when encoding, and these settings don't even have to be the highest ones, a good set of medium bitrate VBR settings can accomplish this goal.

This is why, in conclusion, it is utterly pointless waste for even a high end audiophile to subscribe to TIDAL, or cling to their CD's or lossless FLAC encodes even bother with HD CD's, DVD audio or DSD formats. Neither God nor man can tell the difference, and it has been scientifically proven. Any perceived difference is 100% placebo effect.

Personally, in my home, I listen to my music using a high end Schiit Multibit DAC fed into a Parasound Halo class amplifier, using RBH;s top end tower speakers and a set of 1.5KW rms active SVS tube subs, most of which I acknowledge are total overkill, and I am totally happy with Spotify's "very high" quality encodes (320kbit, OGG eoncodes) Even the "very high" setting is probably overkill.

People just need to stop suffering from Audio Nervosa, and realize that most things we experience in life are plagued by bias and the placebo effect.

The stock sound in the '18 S90 Volvo is pretty damn good on the low end. It's a little harsh in the upper middle; I have mine dipped a bit at 1K and 3K.
      Maybe they changed the sound from 2017 to 2018?

Because mine is just plain awful. The sound is very forward, a bit harsh and completely lacking in mids and bass. Coming from the base sound in my 2009 S80 T6 this is a leap backwards. The only thing I can listen to it and not be annoyed is the news. No music of any style sounds good in this car at all, IMHO.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a bass-head at all, and I never listen to hip-hop or club techno crap.

I prefer a balanced neutral sound. The sound system in my 2017 is completely incapable of delivering it.

I have never had a subwoofer in any car I've owned, and never opted for anything above the base sound system. This is the first time I have been so thoroughly disappointed.

In the early days of mp3, when CPU's were slower and it took a lot of time to encode mp3 files, there were many really ****ty mp3 encoders which took shortcuts to compress the files faster, and produce absolutely terrible audio quality. ...

In the last 15 years though this just hasn't been the case, unless someone who has no idea what they are doing has done the encode.
      yea, I'd agree with that. Though I have made some recent attempts at 192 and 256. They still lack high end to me compared to the wav or aiff rip.
      I looked at them on a spectrum and I wasn't crazy. They rolled at 8k. At 320, most looked considerably better.
      Of course, I may have some early CDs still floating in my collection from when CBS and others were using EQ'd LP tapes for CD mastering. Until Mastering engineers flagged that shiz.

A good 10-15 years ago, some forum members on Hydrogenaudio.org (a popular Audiophile forum at the time) did a thorough double blinded study. They coded an A/B tester application which people on the forum could download and test on their own high end audiophile equipment.
      Even audiophiles on high end equipment only got it right 50% of the time. Or in other words, no better than chance, picking one of the samples randomly.

So, while - yes - there have been a lot of terrible compressed files over the years, some of them sounding absolutely awful, mp3 can also sound very good indistinguishable from the source, if you use the right settings when encoding, and these settings don't even have to be the highest ones, a good set of medium bitrate VBR settings can accomplish this goal.
      The first time I heard 1s and 0s was the 3M multitrack. I remember how quiet it was compared to even Dolby SR, at the time. But as we listened more, it also lacked warmth. Like Celine Dion covering James Brown.
      It took a long time before dig audio was truly acceptable. There are many people who still won't go near dig.
      I tried VBR as compared to ALAC aka m4a on a couple more recent RVG jazz re-ish. The ALAC won, at home and the In-Ears. In the car, mmmmm, prolly not.

This is why, in conclusion, it is utterly pointless waste for even a high end audiophile to subscribe to TIDAL, or cling to their CD's or lossless FLAC encodes even bother with HD CD's, DVD audio or DSD formats. Neither God nor man can tell the difference, and it has been scientifically proven. Any perceived difference is 100% placebo effect.
      I prolly think I hear more than I do. But I also gave up on all the insane hi end formats. Just another revenue stream.

Personally, in my home, I listen to my music using a high end Schiit Multibit DAC fed into a Parasound Halo class amplifier, using RBH;s top end tower speakers and a set of 1.5KW rms active SVS tube subs, most of which I acknowledge are total overkill, and I am totally happy with Spotify's "very high" quality encodes (320kbit, OGG eoncodes) Even the "very high" setting is probably overkill.
      When I see the waveforms of "mixes" I get sent that look like a brush stroke (zero dynamics)....
      Unless it's solid acoustic jazz, classical or the like.
      I often think I want to get more gas for my home, a tube pre and a pair of JBL LSRs because that is more representative of what I listen to in TV or music mix facilities.
      But at this point, I have music on all day. I'm listening, but not like I did when I was 18 and just starting out.

Maybe they changed the sound from 2017 to 2018?

Because mine is just plain awful. The sound is very forward, a bit harsh and completely lacking in mids and bass. Coming from the base sound in my 2009 S80 T6 this is a leap backwards. The only thing I can listen to it and not be annoyed is the news. No music of any style sounds good in this car at all, IMHO.

I have never had a subwoofer in any car I've owned, and never opted for anything above the base sound system. This is the first time I have been so thoroughly disappointed.
      My '01 Saab 9.5 had the best OEM system ever. It was HK with JBL components as I remember.
      I could use it as a reference listening spot.

I just find this beast harsh from 1k to 7k. I'm sure they're aren't EU manufactured ribbon tweets. The system also prolly has a guv'ner on it, so they don't have to replace too many speakers in warranty.
      My former '15 S60 actually sounded pretty good with the stock. And as I remember, I didn't use the EQ. But it was a lot smaller cabin as well.
      When I bought the Saab, the S60 and the current S90. I listened to the upgraded systems as well. All 3 were louder before distortion (way too loud) and had substantially exaggerated low end.
      I mean like a Honda in Jamaica in the 80s with dual 12" in the hatch. Yea, I actually saw it, but I heard it a 1/4 mile up the road.
      Last edited by metropical; 10-24-2019 at 12:37 PM.

My '05 Saab 9.5 had the best OEM system ever. It was HK with JBL components as I remember.
      I could use it as a reference listening spot.
      Maybe this is why I am spoiled?

My last 15 years of car progression looks something like this:

1.) 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero (5 speed manual)
      2.) 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero (5 speed manual)
      3.) 2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo 4 Premium (w. Tech package & 6 speed manual)
      4.) 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD
      5.) 2017 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum Plus

The current S90 is the first time in my car owning history I have felt the need to somehow upgrade the sound.

yea, them Saabs were pretty damn good. Even our 1st, '92 900 had pretty decent sound for stock. It was a shocking change from the Asian and US cars I'd previously had.
      I was sampling cars before I bought the '01 9.5.
      It was the last on my list. I'd driven and listening to many cars, some of which I'd never consider.
      Parked the car at the dealer and slid in a CD with a handful of my faves and a couple of my own mixes.
      If that car had no engine, I'd have still bought it. My spouse just laughed.
      Disappointed when Saab went away, repeatedly.
      I'm not sure the new owners of Volvo are any better than the last few owners of Saab.

Have a '19 XC90 on loan while my S90 gets (hopefully) serviced.
      It's fully tricked out. I think the third row has a cappuccino machine and bidet. But it's too far back for me to see.
      The upgraded fi is supplied by HK. There's way too much bass. Like a sub that starts at 100Hz. Very unrealistic.
      If you're no regular, this'll fix you right out.
      Sound Experience app to adjust down the sub and "surround" (aka delay).
      Still tweaked down 1K and 3K on the EQ.
      Still like the stock '18 S90 better, '15 S60 stock is mo better, and the '01 Saab 9.5 was by far the best.
      Last edited by metropical; 10-26-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Have a '19 XC90 on loan while my S90 gets (hopefully) serviced.
      It's fully tricked out. I think the third row has a cappuccino machine and bidet. But it's too far back for me to see.
      The upgraded fi is supplied by HK. There's way too much bass. Like a sub that starts at 100Hz. Very unrealistic.
      If you're no regular, this'll fix you right out.
      Sound Experience app to adjust down the sub and "surround" (aka delay).
      Still tweaked down 1K and 3K on the EQ.
      Still like the stock '18 S90 better, '15 S60 stock is mo better, and the '01 Saab 9.5 was by far the best.
      I can't even listen to some music on the S90 at mid to high volumes without the highs becoming piercing and painful.

I did some playing around with the EQ to try to get the sound reasonable.

sound.jpg

This is more tolerable for now and sounds MOSTLY balanced. It is still a little bright in some cases, but a little dull in the highs in others, but I can't nail it down to the specific frequencies. Then I add bass from there depending on the song. Maybe I need some sort of measuring equipment to get it right.

My guess is that Volvo optimized these cars for older people with hearing damage.

Think of it like this: In a market where most people have moved to SUV's and crossovers. Who still buys large sedans? Mostly older folks, right?

And older folks often have hearing damage that reduces the higher frequencies they can hear.

So, maybe they optimized the sound system for these older people? That's the only way I can explain how inexplicably awful the default settings are.
      Last edited by mattlach; 12-12-2019 at 08:32 PM.

...My guess is that Volvo optimized these cars for older people with hearing damage.

Think of it like this. IN a market where most people have moved to SUV's and crossovers. Who still buys large sedans? Mostly older folks, right?

And older folks often have hearing damage that reduces the higher frequencies they can hear.

So, maybe they optimized the sound system for these older people? That's the only way I can explain how inexplicably awful the default settings are.
      That's me. Deaf in my right ear. And the left ear is down 80dB at 8K. Even with a hearing aid, the highs are nearly gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Timewise View Post
      That's me. Deaf in my right ear. And the left ear is down 80dB at 8K. Even with a hearing aid, the highs are nearly gone.
      I'm sorry to hear it, but thank you for the data point!

Just curious, what was the cost of the aftermarket upgrade v. the factory upgrade?

I was happy with the HK system in my (certified used) 2016 XC60; the B&W system in my 2018 (certified used) V90CC sounds even better, but it is not worth $3200 (2018 price), much less the current price of $4,000, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      Just curious, what was the cost of the aftermarket upgrade v. the factory upgrade?

I was happy with the HK system in my (certified used) 2016 XC60; the B&W system in my 2018 (certified used) V90CC sounds even better, but it is not worth $3200 (2018 price), much less the current price of $4,000, IMO.
      I haven't done it yet. It has been crazy at work and I just haven't had the time to think about this project.

I can't even listen to some music on the S90 at mid to high volumes without the highs becoming piercing and painful.

I did some playing around with the EQ to try to get the sound reasonable.

In a market where most people have moved to SUV's and crossovers. Who still buys large sedans? Mostly older folks, right?

hey, that's me ... dammit! and I still work in TV sound. What?

In any case, the sound in the loaner XC was much harsher than my S90. But I still dip the top.
      It looks like this.

S90 EQ.jpg

I can't imagine a 10K dip that you show as well as a treble dip. That's way more than what I heard in the borrowed bot.

There are decent Spectrum analyzer in both Apple and Android. An external "instrument" is a good add one.
      I use this or this with my Android.

It also depends on the music one listens to. Modern pop, hip-hop, dance is very compressed and EQd. Be-bop, old RnR, and R&B is usually way less harsh in mastering.

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements