Volvo S90 XC90 XC60 T6/T5 Vibration Issue SPA 2018
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thumbs up Volvo S90 XC90 XC60 T6/T5 Vibration Issue SPA 2018

Hello everyone,

I had a noticeable vibration on my 2018 S90 T6 Inscription. The car was shuttering and vibrating heavily under acceleration or coasting at different speed (at 30K miles).

After inspecting and balancing the tires and wheels twice, as advised by the dealer, as usual. It turned out the axle shaft in the front right was the cause of the vibration. Easy to inspect by any qualified technician. The right side was moving while the other side wasn't. Check the below video and you will see the play in the axle.

The car was making the vibration since 24k miles and it was intermittent. I found the source of the vibration at around 30K miles, after it got worse & became permanent.

One thing that I tried is to tight the axle bolt (13mm-half turn max if the bolt was really loose), however, not advisable at all as this will create stress on the bearing in the inner axle boot. That actually helped a little to treat the vibration but for sure the axle was defective.

I hope this will be all the cause of all my vibration and the not another thing else.

Anyway, hope this help anyone having the same issue. It's really frustrating to see such axle go bad at this very low mileage. It seems the axle is too weak for the engine torque But who knows?!

Update:

The dealer diagnosed the car and found two issues:
      1- The right drive axle had a play and needed to be replaced as expected

2- Front Prob drive shaft CV Joint is defective: The dealer showed me the new redesigned version where it is marked with a green line. If you don't see the green line on your prob shaft, this means you might have the old design one and will probably be defective.

Item#2 in the picture CV JOINT
      propeller shaft.
      Only for front CV joints. For rear CV joints the entire propeller shaft must be replaced. front.

Last edited by Nerd23; 10-12-2019 at 09:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What was your vibration like? I.e., above 65mph, shook the steering wheel, shook the whole car?

The reason I ask is because I have a 2019 S60 T6 that starts shaking above 65. It only has 1500 miles and has done this since new. The dealer has replaced the tires 3 times; road force balanced every time, and replaced my 19Ē rims last week. They also did an alignment when they replaced the rims.

Hereís where Iím confused- when I picked the car up after the new rims and alignment, the car drive smoothly above 65 for the first time, but within a day Iím already feeling shaking again. This shaking causes the steering wheel to shake side to side and my passenger seat will start shaking above 72.

Iíd be curious to see if you had similar symptoms. After 7 trips to the dealer for this issue, I think Iím on my own to figure this out.

Thanks,
      Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add me to the vibration crew.

Within days of picking our car up in May, with 2 miles on the odometer, it began having a faint vibration coming through the butt of the seat, indicating something in the rear. This vibration will start around 50mph and is present from there on. It does not manifest itself as a vibration in the steering wheel.

I finally took the car in a couple of weeks ago because it is a bit of a nuisance. The tech and the shop foreman took the car out and said they couldn't replicate it. The service manager asked that I come in with the car on a day that the foreman is available to ride with me so I can demonstrate the issue. He also suggested that it could be a slightly unbalanced drive shaft. I hope it's not that, and also think that's a big jump from the more obvious potential problem around the Pirellis with the noise cancellation foam in them.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      What was your vibration like? I.e., above 65mph, shook the steering wheel, shook the whole car?

The reason I ask is because I have a 2019 S60 T6 that starts shaking above 65. It only has 1500 miles and has done this since new. The dealer has replaced the tires 3 times; road force balanced every time, and replaced my 19Ē rims last week. They also did an alignment when they replaced the rims.

Hereís where Iím confused- when I picked the car up after the new rims and alignment, the car drive smoothly above 65 for the first time, but within a day Iím already feeling shaking again. This shaking causes the steering wheel to shake side to side and my passenger seat will start shaking above 72.

Iíd be curious to see if you had similar symptoms. After 7 trips to the dealer for this issue, I think Iím on my own to figure this out.

Thanks,
      Dennis

My vibration was a multi-source one.

Source one: bent wheel and wheel out of balance. I fixed the bent wheels and balanced the wheels multiple times with no luck. Last thing I did is to balance the wheels with the Hunter GSP9700. This machined balanced my tires very well. I noticed the car has zero vibrations on the steering wheel and the feeling is firm. This what lead me to discover the source #2 of the vibration as my tires/wheels vibration is solved.

Source two: play on the axle and vibration was appearing sometimes, before it became worse, after a speed of 40 miles and above. This vibration is noticeable even on the car seats. It feels like something is not tight in the drivetrain. This is where I discovered the loose axle bolt and the bad axle. When I was tightening that bolt, it was pretty loose. Without any force and the torque wrench was moving with no force (suggested torque was 25 ft/lb). I suspect the factory forgot to tight the bolt and it damaged the axle after this mileage.

It's Easy to check if you remove the wheel cap. Becareful do not tight that bolt if the car was hot. Also just check with a 13mm socket if it was lose or not. No more than 20 degree turn of tight. Let the dealer tight it if it was loose. Maybe the factory forgot to tight that critical bolt.
      Last edited by Nerd23; 10-11-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Check the tire pressure (39psi for 20" wheels) and inspect for flat spots. Flat spots can disappear after diriving the car for more than 500 miles (long commuting). Hopefully, this is the source of your vibration and it's not that axle bolt!!!

Update:

The dealer diagnosed the car and found two issues:
      1- The right drive axle had a play and needed to be replaced as expected

2- Front Prob drive shaft CV Joint is defective: The dealer showed me the new redesigned version where it is marked with a green line. If you don't see the green line on your prob shaft, this means you might have the old design one and will probably be defective.

Item#2 in the picture CV JOINT
      propeller shaft.
      Only for front CV joints. For rear CV joints the entire propeller shaft must be replaced. front.

I'm driving a 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Plus.

The vibration started around 37k miles with my Nokian WRG4 tires. It was horrible for a few days, took it to the tire shop who rebalanced. Drove ok for a day and then came back. They rebalanced again and came back a few days later. Volvo then took it in and blamed it on road force with a reading of 140 pounds of road force. From what I understand, 140 is virtually impossible.

The tire shop took it back this past week for three days, swapped the originals, put the Nokians back and got the excessive shaking and thumping to go away. All they did was rebalance, again. Everything seemed great, but a few days later it is back, but just not as extreme. The thumping is all over the place. Sometimes it feels like it's under my left driver side, then other times on the right and sometimes the wheel vibrates (not lane assist vibration). It happens intermittently and now sometimes when I back-up with the wheel turned all the way, the wheel vibrates like crazy.

I am losing my mind now because I cannot reproduce this every time I get in the car to show a tech and I am just being sent back and forth between the dealer and the tire shop. Spending 1-2 hours per day in the car is officially driving me insane and I feel like I'm going crazy.

#help

Maybe ask dealer to try a set of wheel and tires from a normal car. This is easy to do. If it still vibrates, then it has to be somewhere among driving shaft, axle, etc.

Fusion ∑ Red ∑ T8 ∑ XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by BostonDynasty View Post
      I'm driving a 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Plus.

The vibration started around 37k miles with my Nokian WRG4 tires. It was horrible for a few days, took it to the tire shop who rebalanced. Drove ok for a day and then came back. They rebalanced again and came back a few days later. Volvo then took it in and blamed it on road force with a reading of 140 pounds of road force. From what I understand, 140 is virtually impossible.

The tire shop took it back this past week for three days, swapped the originals, put the Nokians back and got the excessive shaking and thumping to go away. All they did was rebalance, again. Everything seemed great, but a few days later it is back, but just not as extreme. The thumping is all over the place. Sometimes it feels like it's under my left driver side, then other times on the right and sometimes the wheel vibrates (not lane assist vibration). It happens intermittently and now sometimes when I back-up with the wheel turned all the way, the wheel vibrates like crazy.

I am losing my mind now because I cannot reproduce this every time I get in the car to show a tech and I am just being sent back and forth between the dealer and the tire shop. Spending 1-2 hours per day in the car is officially driving me insane and I feel like I'm going crazy.

#help
      Iím having a very similar issue, but with a brand new 2019 S60 T6. The shaking has been there since day 1- itís worst on the freeway between 68 - 72 mph, but Iím also getting the shaking when Iím backing out of a spot with the wheel turned all the way.

The dealer has replaced my tires 3x and rims once- after the rim replacement the shaking was gone for a few days, but now itís back. The steering wheel seems to shimmy side to side and my passenger seat will shake while Iím on the freeway.

I really canít understand the shaking at low speed with the wheel turned- it makes me think maybe it is something with the LKA system or whatever is responsible for the haptic feedback you feel in the wheel when crossing a lane marker...?

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      Iím having a very similar issue, but with a brand new 2019 S60 T6. The shaking has been there since day 1- itís worst on the freeway between 68 - 72 mph, but Iím also getting the shaking when Iím backing out of a spot with the wheel turned all the way.

The dealer has replaced my tires 3x and rims once- after the rim replacement the shaking was gone for a few days, but now itís back. The steering wheel seems to shimmy side to side and my passenger seat will shake while Iím on the freeway.

I really canít understand the shaking at low speed with the wheel turned- it makes me think maybe it is something with the LKA system or whatever is responsible for the haptic feedback you feel in the wheel when crossing a lane marker...?

When back out with full steering, I feel very slight shakes too. Guess it is steering related. Maybe the electric steering motor output is fluntuating at extreme angle. I have not brought this to dealer as seems not annoying to me.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements