SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1998 v70 t5 build - white reaper

14K views 191 replies 14 participants last post by  gr1m_reaper 
#1 ·
hey everybody - fairly new to the volvo scene but have been browsing the forum for a few years now. first got introduced to volvos by my girlfriend who had a sweet 850r back in the day that she never stops talking about! i never got to see it in person because she traded it for a lexus before we met, but just talking about it got me pretty hyped about getting my first volvo project.

so about four years ago i bought a 1998 V70 T5 with 140k miles for $1500 out in CA. it was bone stock, original white paint, had a loud squeak coming from the passenger front side, but other than that in great condition. the owner said his daughter drove it in college and he didn't have much need for it anymore. plus the dealership quoted him way too much $$ to find out the issue and fix it, so he was ready to deal it for a low price! got it home, replaced the tie rod and bushings, problem solved for like $30 in parts. score!

this build thread is starting like mid-build because i've already done a few things over the past couple years - lowering springs, rims/tires, tint, paint, and some minor mechanical fixes. but i've decided to turn it into my daily driver, so i'll be upgrading a few things in the next month or so and wanted to document my progress!

future plans aren't too crazy but include:

*k&n intake
*silverstar ultra headlights
*bilstein shocks
*msd ignition
*bosch distributor cap/rotor
*genuine volvo plugs
*bougiecord spark plug wires
*brakes - rotors/pads
*engine mounts
*turbo boost gauge

general maintenance:
*oil/filter
*cabin air filter
*serp belt
*coolant hoses
*fuel filter
*water pump/tstat
*brake fluid
*trans drain/fill
*inspect turbo
*pcv system
*parking brake
*anything else i find along the way

i'm going to need some help along the way, and i'm open to all ideas and suggestions. so please follow and comment! current pictures to come shortly!

See less See more
#6 ·
No worries, a lot of knowledge here to help you along the way. You may not get a ton of responses to you questions, but the responses you get will be sound from hardcore enthusiasts

#8 ·
Couple suggestions.

Skip the K&N intake the maf doesnt like the oiled filter. A snabb intake pipe and a good stock filter is the proper upgrade.

E codes or jewels for the headlights bot of which do very well with LED

302mm brakes

e

#9 ·
ah man, i've already got the k&n intake and stock size brakes. will the k&n for sure have problems?

#11 ·
Not my experience, but I alternate filters, allowing plenty of time for the oil to evaporate before use. Just don’t over-oil.

#12 ·
Not my experience, but I alternate filters, allowing plenty of time for the oil to evaporate before use. Just don't over-oil.
appreciate you sharing your experience - i've had k&n filters in every other vehicle i've owned and never run into any issues. but, this will be the first volvo, so i got kind of nervous when hearing it may cause maf problems. i'm happy to hear it should still work as long as i make sure not to over-oil!

#13 ·
OK so getting started this weekend! here's the plan... since i need this car to be my daily driver sooner rather than later, i'm going to start with everything that makes it run/drive safely. it has basically just been parked in the garage and rarely driven the past couple years, so i'll need to go over everything mechanical first before starting any aesthetic mods. i started my own checklist, but if anyone has some suggestions on what else to specifically look at, please chime in!

*replace fluids - oil, trans, coolant, wiper, power steering, brakes, a/c, fuel
*replace filters - oil, fuel, air, cabin
*replace plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor
*replace timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, serp belt
*replace brakes - rotors/pads
*check/replace hoses - radiator upper/lower, pcv system, turbo lines, oil cooler, coolant reservoir, brake lines
*check/replace mounts - engine/trans
*check/replace oil pump, fuel pump, water pump, tstat
*check/replace steering components - inner/outer tie rods, cv joints, boots
*check/replace gaskets & o-rings
*general cleaning under the hood

#14 ·

Finally got my workspace all organized and ready to get started. Always seems like there are multiple projects before even starting THE project.

#15 ·

Oh boy... I've got my work cut out for me. Stupid Arizona dust storms... Only left the car outside a few different times! Gonna need some serious cleaning in addition to everything else.

#16 ·

First of many knuckle-busters.. I don't understand how people can wear gloves while working under the hood. I've tried so many different kinds and they always seem to get in the way. Anyone have a pair they really like?

#17 ·

Got the valve cover off and noticed some fluid. Would that be a leak or over-poured engine oil that seeped down in there?

#18 ·

Removed the battery/tray, air filter assembly and air ducts, turbo pipe, and upper rear engine mount. Also, got some cleaning done. Didn't have a lot of time today but got a good start.

Got parts on the way to get me going:
-pcv kit
-distributor cap/rotor
-plugs/wires
-fuel filter
-cabin air filter

#19 ·
does anybody have any feedback on the upper engine mount (poly vs rubber) ? i'm not a fan of engine vibration, so i'm leaning towards sticking with rubber, but open to suggestions, pros/cons

#24 ·
On my T5M I see no difference in vibration between rubber and poly, but the rubber ones do not last very long at all. You have an automatic? (It would help if you had a signature with your car's specifics.;))

#26 ·
Settings tab

#31 ·
Truth.

'98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

#29 ·
you're right - in fact, now that i've started working on the v70, the ol' lady is wanting to get a volvo again!

#30 ·
working on the car again tonight and wondering what all i should check without pulling the engine?? i don't know a ton about volvos (yet) but i'm good at following instructions! anything specifically i should check for to make sure it will stay a good daily driver?

#32 ·
anything specifically i should check for to make sure it will stay a good daily driver?
Take a good hard look at the power steering system. Maybe your PO's college driver knew the difference and always used ATF, but the PO of my S70 clearly didn't and blew all the seals on the rack. Scottish and others may have good advice on how to check the ABS module before its likely demise (prone to fail and also on my to do list).

BD

'98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

#34 ·
I know the manual says "no fluid change required," but if you're unsure whether the PO(s) ever put normal ps fluid in instead of ATF, I would. To be doubly safe, I know a few owners use the Valvoline MaxLife Transmission Stop Leak in lieu of ATF. My seals are too far gone for it to fix my problem, but it certainly did reduce the leaks.

BD

#35 ·
i haven't noticed any leaks yet, but i'll take a closer look when i get under the car this weekend

#36 · (Edited)
Robert DIY is the man - saving for later.

Air Filter:
Big brakes (302mm):
Brake fluid:
Brakes (front):
Brakes (rear):
Cabin Air Filter:
Car alarm:
Coolant flush:
CV boots:
Cylinder head:
Distributor:
Engine mounts:
Front bumper:
Front seat removal:
Front struts:
Fuel filter:
Fuel pump:
Head cleaning:
Headlights:
Heater core:
Key fob:
Lower trans mount:
Oil cooler line:
Oil pan:
Parking brake:
Parts Locator:
PCV check:
PCV:
Power steering pump:
Power steering rack:
Pre-purchase inspection:
Radiator:
Rear main seal:
Rear springs:
Restoration:
Seat back recliner:
Serpentine belt:
Skid plate:
Spark plug wires:
Spark plugs:
Sway Bar End Links:
Sway Bars:
Thermostat:
Throttle body:
Tie rod ends:
Timing belt:
Transmission fluid:
Turbo boost gauge:
Turbo coolant line:
Turbo lines:
Turbo:
Vacuum Line (NA):
Vacuum Lines (turbo):
Valve cover:
Water pump:
Windshield washer pump:
Wiper Motor:

#37 ·
is there an alternate solution to fixing up the battery cables/terminals other than replacing? (oem ~$200 for both cables). i suppose the cables are still good, really just the ends/terminals that are in rough shape...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.