Paint protection films, which areas worth doing? How much to spend?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm thinking of getting PPF put on my new car before the Michigan roads chip the hell out of it. I've got one great local place that does it that does XPEL and 3M and can do damn near anything with them.

So the debate is, just how much is actually worth it? Partial hood vs full hood, A pillars? Headlights? There are many choices to be had.

There's also the cost to consider, partial hood, full front bumper, mirrors and partial fender can end up around $1,200.....thing is $1,200 is a lot of paint correction if needed!

So for those of you that have done it, how much did you have done and how much did it cost (if you don't mind sharing)? Thanks!
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Follow

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      I'm thinking of getting PPF put on my new car before the Michigan roads chip the hell out of it. I've got one great local place that does it that does XPEL and 3M and can do damn near anything with them.

So the debate is, just how much is actually worth it? Partial hood vs full hood, A pillars? Headlights? There are many choices to be had.

There's also the cost to consider, partial hood, full front bumper, mirrors and partial fender can end up around $1,200.....thing is $1,200 is a lot of paint correction if needed!

So for those of you that have done it, how much did you have done and how much did it cost (if you don't mind sharing)? Thanks!
      I'm from Michigan too and got my PPF and Ceramic Coating from Motor City Auto Spa, Royal Oak!

I went for the XPel Ultimate full front end kit + Rocker panels + A-Pillars + Headlamps + Fog lamps + Rear Cargo Loading area + Sunroof Leading edge.

Ceramic Coating was Opticoat Pro + on the entire Vehicle including the wheels.

All glass was treated with Aquapel.

The PPF is warrantied for 10 years while the Ceramic Coating (if I remember correctly) is warrantied for 5 years.

I paid $4003.00 for the entire deal and this was done last week of June 2018.

The owner of the place and the techs working there are nice enough to wash and dry my Vehicle for free every time I'm around Royal Oak (I live up north).

I am fully sold on getting Vehicles PPFd and Ceramic Coated. I have tested out the PPF through the mountains of Wyoming driving through intense sand-storm while pitted the entire front-end of my (then) brand-new V90CC. The micro-scratches healed themselves in a day or two being in direct sunlight and now, I cannot make out if the car was ever pitted by the sand. My windshield is a different story as it has millions of micro-scratches visible in direct sunlight due to the sand storm.

PPF will physically protect the Vehicle while Ceramic Coating will chemically protect it. My advice is, you own a beautiful, expensive vehicle. The snow, slush, salt and road conditions of MI won't let it stay that way in a couple of months. Invest in protecting your Vehicle the same way you have invested in the Vehicle itself. Mine looks brand new even after 45k miles on it and that alone is worth the cost!

If you decide to go the PPF/CC route, make sure you have the skills to perform the install yourself or, if not, have a well-known, genuine place, paint-correct and then professionally install everything.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      I'm from Michigan too and got my PPF and Ceramic Coating from Motor City Auto Spa, Royal Oak!

I went for the XPel Ultimate full front end kit + Rocker panels + A-Pillars + Headlamps + Fog lamps + Rear Cargo Loading area + Sunroof Leading edge.

The PPF is warrantied for 10 years while the Ceramic Coating (if I remember correctly) is warrantied for 5 years.

The owner of the place and the techs working there are nice enough to wash and dry my Vehicle for free every time I'm around Royal Oak (I live up north).

I am fully sold on getting Vehicles PPFd and Ceramic Coated. I have tested out the PPF through the mountains of Wyoming driving through intense sand-storm while pitted the entire front-end of my (then) brand-new V90CC. The micro-scratches healed themselves in a day or two being in direct sunlight and now, I cannot make out if the car was ever pitted by the sand. My windshield is a different story as it has millions of micro-scratches visible in direct sunlight due to the sand storm.

PPF will physically protect the Vehicle while Ceramic Coating will chemically protect it. My advice is, you own a beautiful, expensive vehicle. The snow, slush, salt and road conditions of MI won't let it stay that way in a couple of months. Invest in protecting your Vehicle the same way you have invested in the Vehicle itself. Mine looks brand new even after 45k miles on it and that alone is worth the cost!

If you decide to go the PPF/CC route, make sure you have the skills to perform the install yourself or, if not, have a well-known, genuine place, paint-correct and then professionally install everything.
      When I get my new car, I would like to have both of these done. How would you recommend researching a well-known genuine place? Is there any certification or licensing? I definitely want more than a yelp review when choosing something so important and expensive.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

www.autopia.org

All the pro's are on there, including myself. Amazing place to find a TOP NOTCH detailer.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

On both my wife's XC90 and my V60 I chose to get both PPF and ceramic coating done. My wife's XC90 we had done with Suntek and Opticoat Pro+. My V60 I went with Xpel and CS-II Titanium. I just wanted to try to different products my local detailers used. For PPF, on both our vehicles we had full hood, front fenders, front bumper, a-pillar, roofline, headlights, mirrors, rear luggage strip and door cups done. Ceramic coating went on top of all the paint and the wheel faces and we also did a windshield coating. Cost was approximately $4500 for the XC90 and $3800 for my V60. It's not cheap but I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, plus the ease of cleaning is so nice. Not having to wax is a bonus as well (I just don't have the time with 2 kids).

If you can afford to PPF and ceramic coat I would do both. PPF you can't go wrong with Suntek, Xpel or 3M. There are lots of great coating products out there. Just need to find a trustworthy detailer.
      (Hers) 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Convenience | Vision | Climate with Heated Windshield | Carbon Fiber | Nappa Leather | Black Headliner |
      (His) 2020 V60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Premium | Premium Plus (HUD) |

Quote Originally Posted by thorin33 View Post
      On both my wife's XC90 and my V60 I chose to get both PPF and ceramic coating done. My wife's XC90 we had done with Suntek and Opticoat Pro+. My V60 I went with Xpel and CS-II Titanium. I just wanted to try to different products my local detailers used. For PPF, on both our vehicles we had full hood, front fenders, front bumper, a-pillar, roofline, headlights, mirrors, rear luggage strip and door cups done. Ceramic coating went on top of all the paint and the wheel faces and we also did a windshield coating. Cost was approximately $4500 for the XC90 and $3800 for my V60. It's not cheap but I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, plus the ease of cleaning is so nice. Not having to wax is a bonus as well (I just don't have the time with 2 kids).

If you can afford to PPF and ceramic coat I would do both. PPF you can't go wrong with Suntek, Xpel or 3M. There are lots of great coating products out there. Just need to find a trustworthy detailer.
      What is the order in which these products are put on?

Now just to find a trusted detailer. I will use the link suggested.

Thank you so much!

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      When I get my new car, I would like to have both of these done. How would you recommend researching a well-known genuine place? Is there any certification or licensing? I definitely want more than a yelp review when choosing something so important and expensive.

Nora in Florida
      What is the order in which these products are put on?

Now just to find a trusted detailer. I will use the link suggested.

Thank you so much!

Nora in Florida
      Nora, I would suggest going to XPel's (PPF) and Opticoat's (Ceramic Coating) website and searching for their official dealers for your state/city. Also, read the google reviews to see how good an authorized installer is. That's how I went about searching for a detailer near me.

Here is a list of authorized XPel installers in Florida https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-instal...states/florida

Here is a list of authorized Opticoat Ceramic Coating installers in Florida https://www.opticoat.com/find-an-ins...0USA&radius=50

Chances are if a shop is authorized dealer for one product, they usually would also be authorized installers for multiple products from other brands too.

Also, the order of application is always, 1) Paint decontamination and correction/polishing, 2) Paint Protection Film, and 3) Ceramic Coating.

Also, you should be provided with proper warranty documentation for all your work (at least my dealer has provided me with such) in case you need it in the future.

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Nora, I would suggest going to XPel's (PPF) and Opticoat's (Ceramic Coating) website and searching for their official dealers for your state/city. Also, read the google reviews to see how good an authorized installer is. That's how I went about searching for a detailer near me.

Here is a list of authorized XPel installers in Florida https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-instal...states/florida

Here is a list of authorized Opticoat Ceramic Coating installers in Florida https://www.opticoat.com/find-an-ins...0USA&radius=50

Chances are if a shop is authorized dealer for one product, they usually would also be authorized installers for multiple products from other brands too.

Also, the order of application is always, 1) Paint decontamination and correction/polishing, 2) Paint Protection Film, and 3) Ceramic Coating.

Also, you should be provided with proper warranty documentation for all your work (at least my dealer has provided me with such) in case you need it in the future.
      Thank you so much! I found a PPF dealer in my city, but nothing for the ceramic coating. But when I call the PPF dealer Iíll get more information. This is a huge help! Thank you.

I may have asked before, but I canít remember for sure. Is this appropriate for an old vehicle? The red paint on my 1996 850R has oxidized a lot. And I want to try to do something to revive it and hopefully protect it.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Thank you so much! I found a PPF dealer in my city, but nothing for the ceramic coating. But when I call the PPF dealer Iíll get more information. This is a huge help! Thank you.

I may have asked before, but I canít remember for sure. Is this appropriate for an old vehicle? The red paint on my 1996 850R has oxidized a lot. And I want to try to do something to revive it and hopefully protect it.

Nora in Florida
      Appropriate - Yes.
      Worth it - Maybe/Maybe not.

Without actually taking a look at the physical condition of the paint and the oxidization, no one will be able to comment for sure. It'll also depend on how thin this older paint is.

The installer probably will spend much longer decontaminating, correcting and polishing your vehicle to bring it to a baseline state as compared to doing the same with a brand new Vehicle. That labor will cost you money and you're the best judge of how much you want to spend protecting an older vehicle. It can only future proof the vehicle and not necessarily help restore all its lost glory even with all the paint correction.

Also, I'm not a detailing expert so take my views with a pinch of salt. A professional installer and your wallet will be your best guides in this matter!

Appropriate - Yes.
      Worth it - Maybe/Maybe not.

Without actually taking a look at the physical condition of the paint and the oxidization, no one will be able to comment for sure. It'll also depend on how thin this older paint is.

The installer probably will spend much longer decontaminating, correcting and polishing your vehicle to bring it to a baseline state as compared to doing the same with a brand new Vehicle. That labor will cost you money and you're the best judge of how much you want to spend protecting an older vehicle. It can only future proof the vehicle and not necessarily help restore all its lost glory even with all the paint correction.

Also, I'm not a detailing expert so take my views with a pinch of salt. A professional installer and your wallet will be your best guides in this matter!
      Thank you so much. Iím going next week to talk to a professional detailer for an opinion. The car is 23 years old. Actually if I could just keep it the way it is now I would be quite happy.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Thank you so much. Iím going next week to talk to a professional detailer for an opinion. The car is 23 years old. Actually if I could just keep it the way it is now I would be quite happy.

Nora in Florida
      Spend a couple of grand for paint protection on a 23 year old car? Why??
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      Spend a couple of grand for paint protection on a 23 year old car? Why??
      Iím sentimental. And crazy too I guess. I think actually what I want more is just to get it looking better. Both the car and I are very old and have limited number of years. But during those years I would like to have it a little more sparkly.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Iím sentimental. And crazy too I guess. I think actually what I want more is just to get it looking better. Both the car and I are very old and have limited number of years. But during those years I would like to have it a little more sparkly.

Nora in Florida
      Get it detailed and waxed? *shrugs*
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Pretty much got all the same stuff done on my v90cc, plus PPF in the door cup areas.

Well worth it! Picked up the car in May with 2 miles on it, had all the PPF and ceramic coating done the next week with ~100 miles on it, and today the car has about 5k miles on it and looks glossy and shines with zero dings or marks on the front of the car.

Took a rock hit to the center of the hood. It gouged the ppf. After a few days that gouge had mostly disappeared and today I can only see it if I really look for it. Had the ppf not been there that definitely would have been a full on paint chip down to the primer.

I'm thinking full front bumper, full front hood, mirrors, partial fenders/wheel well surround with 3M. Should run around $1,200 to $1,500 and provide good, though not perfect protection. Skipping ceramic and all that, as much as I'd love to drop 10% the purchase price of my vehicle on paint protection that's a bit much for me to stomach at the moment.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

I'm thinking full front bumper, full front hood, mirrors, partial fenders/wheel well surround with 3M. Should run around $1,200 to $1,500 and provide good, though not perfect protection. Skipping ceramic and all that, as much as I'd love to drop 10% the purchase price of my vehicle on paint protection that's a bit much for me to stomach at the moment.
      Sounds like a good plan. And I agree with dropping the CC and going with PPFing critical areas! Also, see if you could get your A-Pillars covered. They do take a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      Get it detailed and waxed? *shrugs*
      Thatís what I have been doing every six months for the past 23 years. And will probably just end up continuing to do.

I have to admit I donít even know what an A pillar is?
      Nora in Florida

Thatís what I have been doing every six months for the past 23 years. And will probably just end up continuing to do.

I have to admit I donít even know what an A pillar is?
      It's the vertical pillars that hold up your windshield and roof. The "B" pillars are the pillars between the driver and passenge compartment, C pillars the next ones back, etc.

2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Thank you!

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

I have used 3M for a couple cars. It works fine but will yellow. If your car is light color it will show. Wonít be noticeable for a darker color though. I purchased a new to me car in January and put XPel film and it is much better. It has some self healing properties. I would use it again but not 3M. I wrapped the whole front of my car FYI. When my Volvo is done I will likely wrap the entire car with it.

Darreld

I'd spend the little extra to do full fenders so you don't have an obvious line running across your fenders.

I also think xPel has a slight edge on 3M.

$800 for my 99 R. Partial hood and badly done front bumper (gaps on hard angles where they seemed to have given up) where it is has been great, where they didn't do it is all pitted. This is also a respray and the paint seems thin.

Quick update: used Motor City Auto Spa like Volvolic, super impressive place! Ended up doing the full package xpel meaning everything they have as pre-plotted: https://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio...60/Inscription

* full front : full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, lights, mirrors, A pillars and upper roof back to the sunroof edge
      * Full rocker panels
      * B and C pillars

Then added custom

* Door cups
      * Door edges
      * rear bumper upper

Surprisingly Xpel didn't have a preplotted top of the rear bumper which gets scratched up putting things in the trunk so I told the shop if it's $100 or less go ahead and make a piece for that, they did and made a custom plot for the top of the rear bumper that they'll now have for the future which is nice.

All together around $2,800 and it included a full paint correction/exterior detail before hand so full wash, clay, polish. Has the 10 year Xpel warranty against all yellowing, cracking, peeling, etc.

I passed on the ceramic coating, the film is enough for me.

This place also offers an underbody detail for $175, totally doing it after each winter with all the salt around here. The volvo OEM corrosion coating is great, but a full steam clean of the underbody sounds nice.

"cars are placed on a hoist then thoroughly degreased and then steam cleaned with a 220į pressure washer.
      All frame, suspension, bottom of Engine & transmission components are thoroughly cleaned."
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Quick update: used Motor City Auto Spa like Volvolic, super impressive place! Ended up doing the full package xpel meaning everything they have as pre-plotted: https://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio...60/Inscription

* full front : full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, lights, mirrors, A pillars and upper roof back to the sunroof edge
      * Full rocker panels
      * B and C pillars

Then added custom

* Door cups
      * Door edges
      * rear bumper upper

Surprisingly Xpel didn't have a preplotted top of the rear bumper which gets scratched up putting things in the trunk so I told the shop if it's $100 or less go ahead and make a piece for that, they did and made a custom plot for the top of the rear bumper that they'll now have for the future which is nice.

All together around $2,800 and it included a full paint correction/exterior detail before hand so full wash, clay, polish. Has the 10 year Xpel warranty against all yellowing, cracking, peeling, etc.

I passed on the ceramic coating, the film is enough for me.

This place also offers an underbody detail for $175, totally doing it after each winter with all the salt around here. The volvo OEM corrosion coating is great, but a full steam clean of the underbody sounds nice.

"cars are placed on a hoist then thoroughly degreased and then steam cleaned with a 220į pressure washer.
      All frame, suspension, bottom of Engine & transmission components are thoroughly cleaned."
      Sweet! That sounds like a really good deal.

Sweet! That sounds like a really good deal.
      Yes, this sounds great! Exactly what I would like to do when I get my new XC 90. Hopefully in bursting blue.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Yes, this sounds great! Exactly what I would like to do when I get my new XC 90. Hopefully in bursting blue.

Nora in Florida
      When you do it make sure you get multiple quotes, the place I went ended up being $500-$1000 cheaper than many others I quoted. Of course make sure the cheaper place isn't knock-off and such, place I used is fully factory XPEL certified and trained and all that so there were no worries.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Here she is all done sitting next to a brand new M4. I gotta say it doesn't look out of place whatsoever next to the far more expensive BMW

2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Here she is all done sitting next to a brand new M4. I gotta say it doesn't look out of place whatsoever next to the far more expensive BMW

Well, it really looks great!!

Iím not sure how many quotes I can get in my little southern town in the middle of nowhere. Iíll have to do a 32508 ZIP Code search.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Out of place? The BMW looks out of place and old fashioned!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

I've just wrapped mine with XPEL stealth. It cost me almost $6K.
      Obviously I had to do it for the whole car
      I'm quite happy with the result, but it's not perfect. I was expecting a flawless installation and I'm not sure it's possible, unless it is performed in a cleanroom.

Quote Originally Posted by kilka View Post
      I've just wrapped mine with XPEL stealth. It cost me almost $6K.
      Obviously I had to do it for the whole car
      I'm quite happy with the result, but it's not perfect. I was expecting a flawless installation and I'm not sure it's possible, unless it is performed in a cleanroom.

I donít think youíll see too many identical twins on the road, congrats!!! A great car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

Impressive! For that $$$ I hope they removed each panel so the edges are wrapped all the way around?
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Thanks

Here are some pics taken during the installation:

Last edited by kilka; 10-25-2019 at 06:47 AM.

I had never seen an XPel Stealth install. Looks beautiful with that silky finish. Also, if I remember correctly, Stealth is a more heavy-duty PPF than Ultimate and the added microns of thickness give the Vehicle it's distinct appearance.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast