Paint protection films, which areas worth doing? How much to spend? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      I had never seen an XPel Stealth install. Looks beautiful with that silky finish. Also, if I remember correctly, Stealth is a more heavy-duty PPF than Ultimate and the added microns of thickness give the Vehicle it's distinct appearance.
      Wow it looks great! I so hope when I get my new Volvo I can find an authorized dealer near me, and get the stealth also. The pictures are really interesting. So is this something that is cut and placed on the vehicle, or is it sprayed on?
      Nora in Florida

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      Wow it looks great! I so hope when I get my new Volvo I can find an authorized dealer near me, and get the stealth also. The pictures are really interesting. So is this something that is cut and placed on the vehicle, or is it sprayed on?
      It's cut on a plotter and applied by hand very very carefully.

They're working on a spray on one though but that would then require a full paint booth so it's not likely to be used often. Totally different skill set from the film applied by hand by the detailers.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      It's cut on a plotter and applied by hand very very carefully.

They're working on a spray on one though but that would then require a full paint booth so it's not likely to be used often. Totally different skill set from the film applied by hand by the detailers.
      Wow that is an amazing process! Kind of like putting a screen protector onto a new smart phone. On a much much larger scale!!

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I’m getting full front done when the car arrives.
      2020 V60 CC

Paint protection films, which areas worth doing? How much to spend?

Did mine in Prague 3 days after OSD pick up. Did the full hood front bumpers and front fenders. Also a strip on the back bumper and both headlights. Total $1200

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Did mine in Prague 3 days after OSD pick up. Did the full hood front bumpers and front fenders. Also a strip on the back bumper and both headlights. Total $1200

Awesome car, and great price for the PPF need to swing by from USA to get in on this 1/2 price PPF compared to USA
      2020 V60 CC

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Awesome car, and great price for the PPF need to swing by from USA to get in on this 1/2 price PPF compared to USA
      Depends on the brand and how it's done. You can see there it's done from raw-sheets and cut by hand with a blade on the car. Also not likely to be XPEL for that price. Still works but there's a reason for the savings. Paying $$$ for XPEL and it's pre-cut on a plotter and fits absolutely perfectly with no risk to the paint from cutting it on the car. Plus it has all the self-healing stuff and all that and a 10 year warranty , the warranty really is huge
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      Depends on the brand and how it's done. You can see there it's done from raw-sheets and cut by hand with a blade on the car. Also not likely to be XPEL for that price. Still works but there's a reason for the savings. Paying $$$ for XPEL and it's pre-cut on a plotter and fits absolutely perfectly with no risk to the paint from cutting it on the car. Plus it has all the self-healing stuff and all that and a 10 year warranty , the warranty really is huge
      That’s interesting, I definitely was making a joke. But you definitely jumped on this quite big are you In the business?

As I lived in Europe for 20 years I know that some items are cheaper then in USA. This could be one or it could be not a great quality film as you mentioned.

What confused me however is that all the places I call if you would “cut on the car” that’s a premium service vs plotted version. They ask for more cash and promises more “sinless” install as every film,body panel, is different in addition when you stretch the pre cut tape you never know how well it would line up with the body line.

I’m no expert I’m just repeating what I was told from multiple places.
      2020 V60 CC

Well, your both right. Handcut pro's do charge more, for speacial seamless look installs, it's more or less for edges and not as much seams though. As far as pricing that is VERY GOOD, ex a front end on an XC90 would run around 2200 including mirrors (keep in mind this is grade A material and all of us have MAP pricing). Pre-cut 4-5 years ago sucked now it's amazing (IF you line everything up right and prep good). I still charge more for handcut though, there are plenty of peices that have to be hand cut for a certain desired look or are just too tiny for the plotter.

Fyi - Knifeless tape sucks, so if you ever see anyone using it stay away, the cuts aren't clean at all (Atleast in my experience).
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

The film is Llumar platinum.

https://www.llumar.com/automotive-fi...on-film-series

Not saying it was 100% perfect install, but it held up to some bad roads and weather for the 5000km in Europe.

I've never been all that impressed for the cost. Most folks don't keep cars long enough to appreciate a savings. If you just want it to look as perfect as possible for as long as possible I can understand it I suppose. I'm having it put on a customers V60 next week. 3m product, though both seem to be just fine. For full front $1750, or partial front (full bumper and mirrors, partial fenders and hood) $1095. Headlights $85. Now what could be good is $15 for each door cup. Folks with nails can really scratch this area up, especially on a dark colored car. That was the prices I got quoted from the vendor and just passed on to the customer, not something we do in house. I can't justify any markup because I don't really see the value to start with! But we do have the cost of running a driver down and back twice. Oh the things you do for repeat business of friendly customers (-=

I think everyone is going to be different in terms of recognizing if it is worth it to them. For myself, I had my last car for 18 years and I like to keep my cars looking nice. Also in our climate here in Canada, we have gravel and salt in the winter so it really saves the paint from getting nicked up. However I agree that it's not for everyone.
      (Hers) 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Convenience | Vision | Climate with Heated Windshield | Carbon Fiber | Nappa Leather | Black Headliner |
      (His) 2020 V60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Premium | Premium Plus (HUD) |

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      I've never been all that impressed for the cost. Most folks don't keep cars long enough to appreciate a savings. If you just want it to look as perfect as possible for as long as possible I can understand it I suppose. I'm having it put on a customers V60 next week. 3m product, though both seem to be just fine. For full front $1750, or partial front (full bumper and mirrors, partial fenders and hood) $1095. Headlights $85. Now what could be good is $15 for each door cup. Folks with nails can really scratch this area up, especially on a dark colored car. That was the prices I got quoted from the vendor and just passed on to the customer, not something we do in house. I can't justify any markup because I don't really see the value to start with! But we do have the cost of running a driver down and back twice. Oh the things you do for repeat business of friendly customers (-=
      On my previous car I was getting chips and scratches not even a year after getting it. The area we live in will probably have even more highway construction going on for the next 5 years so if we can prevent it for that long, Ill be happy.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2