Volvo Cars and Geely intend to merge their combustion engine operations
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo Cars and Geely intend to merge their combustion engine operations

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ine-operations

"Volvo Cars and Geely intend to merge their existing combustion engine operations into a stand-alone business in order to establish a new global supplier that will seek to develop next generation combustion engines and hybrid powertrains.

The proposed new business would clear the way for Volvo Cars to focus on the development of its all-electric range of premium cars. Volvo Cars is building an entirely electrified product range, as part of the companyís ambition to put sustainability at the core of its operations. ......."
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Interesting move. Geely is using T5 and T3 Drive-E engine already. There are two Drive-E engine factories in China, under Volvo and Geely admin accordingly. Now just a little more re-org and want to sell engine to other interested parties I think.

Personally I think an Atkinson cycle engine would be the best for hybrid setup. If 10% more efficiency is possible, it is quite helpful.

Fusion ∑ Red ∑ T8 ∑ XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

All of their other brands - that being Geely Auto, Proton, Lotus, LEVC and LYNK & CO were noted, except Polestar.

Polestar has already announced its all-electric intentions; this implies Volvo will do the same.

Not sure where this leaves the IPO for Volvo only that Geely had planned earlier?
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design with Polestar in Black/Black and 2008 XC90 V8 Sport in Black/Calcite Cream
      formerly: Four S60s (all 5 cylinder/one an R), One S80 T6 Executive and Two XC90s (4 cylinder/8 cylinder non-sport)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Very interesting, similar strategy to AMG with AMG focus more on performance than outright engine operations sharing. A bit of a differentiation...
      |2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country| - Crystal White/Blond Interior - Luxury Package - Convenience Package - HUD - B&O - Premium Air Suspension - Polestar Optimised

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoCPA View Post
      Not sure where this leaves the IPO for Volvo only that Geely had planned earlier?
      Pretty sure this will be on ice for as long as that loon sits in the Oval office. Way too much uncertainty about global trade caused by that moron.

Please don't start with the political stuff. I come here to get away from that nastiness.
      2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

Quote Originally Posted by Tostik View Post
      Please don't start with the political stuff. I come here to get away from that nastiness.
      Regardless, this is the best answer to VolvoCPA's question... The reason for the pull back from an IPO is based on the current political climate being hostile to global car manufacturers. Currently, it is not a good time to launch an IPO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsim007 View Post
      Regardless, this is the best answer to VolvoCPA's question... The reason for the pull back from an IPO is based on the current political climate being hostile to global car manufacturers. Currently, it is not a good time to launch an IPO.
      It's been estimated that electric cars will cost the same as gasoline car equivalents by 2025. Combined with the fact that electric cars are cheaper to fuel with your house electricity than ICE cars at gasoline stations, and regular maintenance is cheaper on a BEV, the tipping point will have been reached, even in the US. Patience, it will come.

I don't agree with trade wars with Mexico, Canada, or Europe, but China is another story. But what can you say? Trump has trade wars, not real wars. Most Presidents would have retaliated against Iran for their attack on the Saudi oil fields, especially with Bolton as an advisor, but Trump didn't. And things have calmed down in the Persian Gulf.
      Last edited by Tostik; 10-14-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalsim007 View Post
      I think it's more the current economic climate. Global growth is slowing, recession is on the horizon, the valuation that Geely expected for the company just isn't there.

It totally makes sense to merge ICE operations as Volvo has stated more than once that it has no interest in further ICE development - that the future is electric cars.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Spinning out a business with decreasing sales is a classic business case. Internal combustion sales will plummet in 5 yrs. This allows Volvo (and Geely overall) to focus on the future.

If your bonus is not tied to ICE, then it is much easier to cancel the product lines. This will keep focus where it should be, and the right decisions made.
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

LYNK&CO just revealed a plain hybrid HEV version of the 01 SUV. The engine is a Drive-E running Miller cycle not using direct injection. This is an interesting variation in the engine family as it could offer better fuel efficiency for people not able to charge at home. I actually want the same variation of XC40, as I can't charge two cars at home.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      LYNK&CO just revealed a plain hybrid HEV version of the 01 SUV. The engine is a Drive-E running Miller cycle not using direct injection. This is an interesting variation in the engine family as it could offer better fuel efficiency for people not able to charge at home. I actually want the same variation of XC40, as I can't charge two cars at home.

Hi FusionredXC60,

Dya have any links to any articles detailing that? As that's the first I've heard of a non direct injection Drive-E engine or a Miller cycle one

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoGoteborg View Post
      Hi FusionredXC60,

Dya have any links to any articles detailing that? As that's the first I've heard of a non direct injection Drive-E engine or a Miller cycle one

thanks
      There are some Chinese news reports after it is displayed at Guangzhou auto show.

You can google translate this:
      https://k.sina.cn/article_6063046645...00100lt5e.html

1.5L Miller cycle 3cyl engine
      7DCT
      197HP
      355N.m
      fuel consumption 4.8L/100km

Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 12-08-2019 at 04:41 PM.

There are some Chinese news reports after it is displayed at Guangzhou auto show.

You can google translate this:
      https://k.sina.cn/article_6063046645...00100lt5e.html

1.5L Miller cycle 3cyl engine
      7DCT
      197HP
      355N.m
      fuel consumption 4.8L/100km

Hi

Thanks for the info.

I find that quite surprising and wonder if maybe there was an error in the reporting or indeed the translation. Although, maybe it is indeed true.

I find most surprising the port injection rather than direct injection version of the Volvo VEA 1.5T engine. Not sure why they'd make that step. Presumably avoiding making a new cylinder head design by just plugging the injector holes/threads. It would be a cheaper engine design though by moving back from using DI.

Miller cycle is less surprising but interesting.

By plain hybrid I guess you mean a non-plug in one but one that's able to provide greater electrical assistance or indeed a brief EV only drive in contrast to the lower assistance available from a mild hybrid?

Rather interesting if this setup has been developed and is thus something between the B badged (rather than D or T) 48V mild hybrids and the plug ins.

Otherwise here are the same plug in hybrid setups available for the XC40 and the Lynk & Co 01. I believe the 02 and 03 are also available with this. There's now a 05 launched. The 04 is yet to be but has been spied as camo cars on Swedish plates in the Alps

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/...ybrid-launched

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...ev-2019-review

04 spied

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...o-04-spy-shots

This 04 is the same as 02. There is no 04 at all. People don't like the way 04 is pronounced in Chinese, so no model is named 04.

Yeh, 01 PHEV and XC40 PHEV share same platform and powertrain.

The Miller cycle engine is mostly for better efficiency (15% more, theoretically), while less powerful. It uses port injection because the fuel gas will be pushed back to input manifold by up-moving piston before input valve is closed and the real compression starts.

Yeh, plain hybrid I mean the hybrid that is not BSG, not plug-in. BSG is weak and doesn't regenerate much from braking. A real hybrid setup should regenerate from both front and rear axles. The 01 HEV still only regenerate from front axle. A small motor on the rear axle could help regenerate more.

Ideally a hybrid car should start moving and run slowly using battery and always keep engine running in high efficient zone. When speed is low, it could be more efficient to use ICE to generate electricity and power the motor, instead of using ICE to drive the axle directly.

This 04 is the same as 02. There is no 04 at all. People don't like the way 04 is pronounced in Chinese, so no model is named 04.

Yeh, 01 PHEV and XC40 PHEV share same platform and powertrain.

The Miller cycle engine is mostly for better efficiency (15% more, theoretically), while less powerful. It uses port injection because the fuel gas will be pushed back to input manifold by up-moving piston before input valve is closed and the real compression starts.

Yeh, plain hybrid I mean the hybrid that is not BSG, not plug-in. BSG is weak and doesn't regenerate much from braking. A real hybrid setup should regenerate from both front and rear axles. The 01 HEV still only regenerate from front axle. A small motor on the rear axle could help regenerate more.

Ideally a hybrid car should start moving and run slowly using battery and always keep engine running in high efficient zone. When speed is low, it could be more efficient to use ICE to generate electricity and power the motor, instead of using ICE to drive the axle directly.
      Hi,

So where's the motor installed in this non-plug in hybrid Lynk & Co model?

thanks

Hi,

So where's the motor installed in this non-plug in hybrid Lynk & Co model?

thanks
      The e-motor is attached to or in the 7DCT transmission, same as the PHEV setup.

Fusion ∑ Red ∑ T8 ∑ XC60

Quote Originally Posted by Tostik View Post
      I know you donít want to add any political nastiness here (and neither do I) but, unfortunately, Dalsimís point has merits:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greggar.../#3b0e5498616f

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/16/...l-budget-deal/
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      I know you donít want to add any political nastiness here (and neither do I) but, unfortunately, Dalsimís point has merits:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greggar.../#3b0e5498616f

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/16/...l-budget-deal/
      As much as I'm on board with electric cars, I don't believe the government has the right to subsidize what it perceives as correct -- with tax payer money. Electric Cars will win out in the next 5 to 7 years on their own.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements