XC40 EV got Android Sensus UI - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by B0000rt View Post
      The Google maps on instrument cluster looks good. Hopefully there's also better heads up display integration too.

Audi does integrate this without having to go fill Google, guess Volvo was lazy and didnt want to figure it out themselves with the existing SPA Sensus platform

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Audi sells 3 times as many cars as does Volvo, and their ASP is also probably higher, also their operating margin is higher, so basically they have a much higher R&D budget and many more resources that they could utilize being part of VAG. It is not fair to compare both. That is why Volvo turned to Google, avoiding investing in an area where they were never going to be THE best.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Isn’t anyone here at least a little concerned with privacy?

Whatever action you do on google maps (or any other google product) is theirs for the take.. please remind yourself that gmaps is a service and nothing in this world is free..

I use waze as my daily driver and I know it was bought by google some time ago, but have a look at gmaps privacy policy (or lack!)

As beautiful and wonderfully integrated as it will be I’m not sure I’ll like to drive a “google” car..
      Last edited by lfpcorreia; 10-12-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lfpcorreia View Post
      Isn’t anyone here at least a little concerned with privacy?...
      Oh yes, I have similar concerns and expressed them in this post (#5) over in the XC60 forum where the subject came up. While I don’t have anything to really hide, I hate companies using my data for their purposes without my implicit permission. I’m one of the few that actually reads privacy policies before signing-up for websites and spend a lot of time trying to opt-out wherever I can.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Well, since the elec 40 and P2 won't be delivering till mid 2020, I don't think we will see this backwards possibility anytime soon. I do have hopes that it may be able to be flashed to our existing Volvo's. That would be nice. After if, the question is when. Would they let the market test the new cars first, and later when they are convinced of stability push it our to us somehow? Seems iffy, but possible. Guessing if it happens, it would be probably be around 3rd quarter 2020. I'm not getting my hopes up too much though.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Isn’t anyone here at least a little concerned with privacy?
      That ship has sailed universally, and that's a lots cause already. Only going to get worse. Remember when people were afraid of letting their kids pictures be anywhere on the internet? Now they can't get them up fast enough. Welcome to the new world...

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      That ship has sailed universally, and that's a lots cause already. Only going to get worse. Remember when people were afraid of letting their kids pictures be anywhere on the internet? Now they can't get them up fast enough. Welcome to the new world...
      Some of us then are clinging to the past the best we can -- and I agree our ability to do so is riddled with complexity and not always possible. Unlike some, I do compromise with sometimes accepting less functionality or flexibility using alternatives (like e.g. using DuckDuckGo in lieu of Google Search across all my devices, on top of opting-out of nearly everything in Google's Account Settings if its related to my data collection/retention), am generally willing to directly pay for a capability I want vs. get something for free if it means I turn over my personal data forever, or avoid some other services altogether -- compared to the masses that just click-through and accept whatever that may mean later on.

We have only heard broad Marketing teaser information on Volvo's Android Infotainment direction thus far. It makes Android users happy which is great, but for some of us, it is far from enough detail to dissect a new privacy policy that Volvo likely has nowhere near final, and we don't yet know what their design using Android as a base may mean in terms of end-user Infotainment functionality to opt-out of some data collection, or if that even becomes a possibility. For now, we're also left wondering if Apple CarPlay will be offered over the top of Android for owners like myself that are iPhone-based, and what that means within Volvo's overall Infotainment design. Only time will tell for sure.

What I do know for me, is Volvo's Android marketing statements last week sadly raised my antenna with some possible concern I didn't have before -- until the detail becomes available probably months from now. I also know when it comes time to replace my on-order 2020 XC60 T8, if Volvo does not have a privacy policy and opt-in/out ability with its new Infotainment I can live with, alternative automotive brands will be considered first. Besides reading all the Volvo XC60 owner documentation before even going for my first dealership interaction and test drive last month, I also got on the Volvo website and read every word of their legal and privacy policies, like I'm sure nearly no one else would even consider doing. (I have also warned Escrow each time when purchasing/refinancing my home that they need to send me the docs in advance or let me come early, as I want to read every word of every document before signing my name to anything. Part of that may come from my having been involved writing generally available service contracts and negotiating custom terms with large client engagements over the years, then being accountable to profitably execute against them.) Granted, I know I'm in a small minority, but I care that much about never agreeing to terms I may not understand, especially when it comes to my personal data. Obsessive? Perhaps. No, yes I am with the details whenever possible.
      Last edited by BertL; 10-14-2019 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Added CarPlay reference
      Bert

Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

I'm not a Google services fan at all. Yes, privacy still matters to me.
      With more competition coming out vs the XC40, I will definitely look at them. I will avoid Google services as much as I can.

Call me old fashion if you want. But I still recall someone showing me the google maps history of my account and having all the little places I’ve been for the past years! With detail down to the door number!

I felt bad. I know it’s only datapoint and there isn’t much interest at the individual level. But hell no!

If that level of detail also gets into my cars, I lose the ability of the opt-out. Since I go wherever my car goes 🙂

Did you knew that google has the rights on every picture you upload to google photos? I didn’t until someone showed me the fine print. That means they can use or sell any of my pictures to their/third party partner as they wish with no obligation to warn me or even pay me! Hell no!
      Last edited by lfpcorreia; 10-14-2019 at 03:12 PM.

It is getting pretty bad. I read this morning that colleges were routinely farming all the private social media posts, and any personal info they can extract in any way possible, even before someone has made an application to the college. It is going to be really hard to reverse this trend. The average person doesn't opt out and turn off tracking options, etc. It is the first thing I do when setting up an account subscription or new device. But sort of like the utterly useless "do not call list", it is more of a gesture than effective.

If that level of detail also gets into my cars, I lose the ability of the opt-out.
      Volvo requires you to opt-in before that kind of information is shared. I think Volvo will take steps to protect the privacy of those who want it. I don't think you'll have to be concerned in this case, but we'll see.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Volvo requires you to opt-in before that kind of information is shared. I think Volvo will take steps to protect the privacy of those who want it. I don't think you'll have to be concerned in this case, but we'll see.
      Quid Pro Quo. Google is in it for the data it can mine. While you can opt-out, you either will have a severely gimped infotainment system or you are not going to be able to opt-out like you can with Volvo.

Even if you opt-out now you get a gimped infotainment system. You cannot use any of the apps, real time traffic info, or the Volvo on Call functionality.

There is granular control in the current system so you can choose which functions allow data sharing.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...aring-settings
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Even if you opt-out now you get a gimped infotainment system. You cannot use any of the apps, real time traffic info, or the Volvo on Call functionality.

There is granular control in the current system so you can choose which functions allow data sharing.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...aring-settings

The reality is Google has a far wider net it can cast in terms what it will mine you and what it can do with that information.

Sorry, Google is one of the worst companies in terms of customer privacy.

Their core business is selling this unidentifiable user data to others in form of targeted ads.

I don’t think they’re gonna start now into the gps business. If that’s the case then Volvo would have to pay them a fee for using their services just for the purpose of gps infotainment.

The android auto and Apple car play have a fee just for the feature to be supported. Some brands like BMW have started passing those fees down to to customers (yearly!). I imagine the fee, not for the android auto/CarPlay, but for the whole shenanigans would be heavy..

Tesla has used Google Maps data since day one in the Model S and in all the more recent models. Tesla provides their own routing algorithms using Google's data as part of Tesla's custom (Linux-based) OS and UI. You can bet Tesla pays Google something for access to their map data, as Google must maintain and serve it real-time to Tesla's fleet. Parts of the voice control system seem to be done on-board, while others definitely go back out to Google to serve up results inside of Tesla's UI (e.g. "Show me the closest Taco Shops", or "Take me to Costco"). I'm sure that will be the same with Volvo's use of Google's data and perhaps other technologies. I also have the option to connect the Tesla App on my phone to my calendar, so the next couple days of entries (along with destinations) show up on Tesla's UI -- I have been reassured there is no Google involvement with that, just as there isn't with my phone contact info that connects via Bluetooth directly to the car's Phone app.

There has only been speculation why Tesla still does not have AA or CarPlay -- believing they can do it better than Google or Apple, feeling the control of the base OS/UI is a key long-term brand differentiator, or ongoing royalty costs, are some of the things the press and forums have bantered about for years.

For me, the question is how deep Volvo elects to connect into Google's world -- not just map data, but voice recognition, contact info, interception of text creation and read-back, perhaps phone/voicemail data, email access, etc. -- and then, to what degree Google can use or identify all that back to an individual owner and their vehicle for their own purposes or not. E.g. will owners have to login to their Google account to use some of the functionality, or connect their VOC and Google accounts -- and what are the implications for the owner? If a user opts-out, is certain functionality completely disabled or does some crippled standalone mode come into play? Or if the owner uses none of the basic built-in services, but only want to e.g. use CarPlay, do only Apple's privacy terms engage? We'll see. It's all speculation until Volvo reveals a lot more and shows the world the choices they've made.

NOTE: I asked Tesla three different times before I placed my order in 2015 about how much data Google both had access to and would be able to retain of my location and other personal data. I was told that Google could not see me or connect anything back to my specific vehicle. OTOH, Tesla can. They own the routing algorithms which are tied to GPS & Autopilot functionality; the vehicle is constantly communicating back to the mothership with usage and location data of all sort; and they download new code to my vehicle which generally takes my intervention to actually install -- but they retain an ability to force an update to be applied as long as the vehicle has connectivity, be that through optional WiFi an owner establishes (e.g. my MS connects to my home WiFi in my garage automatically), or the built-in always-on LTE connection Tesla pays for which has no practical way for the average owner to really turn-off. I can opt-out of Tesla's use of my data using an on-board setting, but in doing so will effectively cripple some functionality of options I purchased and enjoy. The point is, I had and have a choice -- but I knew before buying my Tesla if I wanted something like the long-term promise of Autopilot, I would have to trust Tesla with some of my personal data to enable it in real time. While it would always be my preference, the tech is simply not there to affordably make everything standalone within my vehicle today. For me, I simply want to have clarity on who I may have to entrust my personal data with, and for what purpose, so I can make an informed choice.
      Bert

Wow, got some Luddites up in here! :P

Google Maps data at no cost may be leveraged as an incentive to manufacturers to get Android in cars, at least temporarily. Tesla's not using Android, and yes everyone pays Google to access Maps data on every non-Google Operating System.

Perhaps so.

I've always been a fairly trusting guy until someone or something lets me down, then I'm like an elephant that never forgets and inspect more strongly after that. Sadly, there are too many examples of companies that have demonstrated they look out for themselves first, or have let me and other customers down through their action or inaction when it comes to personal privacy, data use, and it's protection -- sometimes only improving because of enough negative media or legislative/legal attention. It's not as important to some people and that's fine -- it is though to others of us.

As an aside, does everyone remember Google's corporate Code of Conduct that included "Do No Evil" in the early 2000's, and received all the positive press back then as IIRC Google tried to project a different view of themselves on the world (perhaps compared to Microsoft that was being put through a lot of scrutiny at the time?) I read somewhere those 3 simple words and adjoining detail were removed from their internal policy earlier this year. I get that times change, a new set of internal HR or lawyers may have engaged, and it's perhaps a little thing that by itself is no big deal -- but it's interesting to me just the same.
      Bert

There will be no retrofits for already-built vehicles. Source: Jim Nichols, Product and Technology Communications Manager, Volvo Car USA.

Quote Originally Posted by sillyvalleyguy View Post
      There will be no retrofits for already-built vehicles. Source: Jim Nichols, Product and Technology Communications Manager, Volvo Car USA.
      Ok, well.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

When/where did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      Some of us then are clinging to the past the best we can -- and I agree our ability to do so is riddled with complexity and not always possible. Unlike some, I do compromise with sometimes accepting less functionality or flexibility using alternatives (like e.g. using DuckDuckGo in lieu of Google Search across all my devices, on top of opting-out of nearly everything in Google's Account Settings if its related to my data collection/retention), am generally willing to directly pay for a capability I want vs. get something for free if it means I turn over my personal data forever, or avoid some other services altogether -- compared to the masses that just click-through and accept whatever that may mean later on.

We have only heard broad Marketing teaser information on Volvo's Android Infotainment direction thus far. It makes Android users happy which is great, but for some of us, it is far from enough detail to dissect a new privacy policy that Volvo likely has nowhere near final, and we don't yet know what their design using Android as a base may mean in terms of end-user Infotainment functionality to opt-out of some data collection, or if that even becomes a possibility. For now, we're also left wondering if Apple CarPlay will be offered over the top of Android for owners like myself that are iPhone-based, and what that means within Volvo's overall Infotainment design. Only time will tell for sure.

What I do know for me, is Volvo's Android marketing statements last week sadly raised my antenna with some possible concern I didn't have before -- until the detail becomes available probably months from now. I also know when it comes time to replace my on-order 2020 XC60 T8, if Volvo does not have a privacy policy and opt-in/out ability with its new Infotainment I can live with, alternative automotive brands will be considered first. Besides reading all the Volvo XC60 owner documentation before even going for my first dealership interaction and test drive last month, I also got on the Volvo website and read every word of their legal and privacy policies, like I'm sure nearly no one else would even consider doing. (I have also warned Escrow each time when purchasing/refinancing my home that they need to send me the docs in advance or let me come early, as I want to read every word of every document before signing my name to anything. Part of that may come from my having been involved writing generally available service contracts and negotiating custom terms with large client engagements over the years, then being accountable to profitably execute against them.) Granted, I know I'm in a small minority, but I care that much about never agreeing to terms I may not understand, especially when it comes to my personal data. Obsessive? Perhaps. No, yes I am with the details whenever possible.
      Very well said!

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      After I asked him directly.

Exactly what I expected. Thanks for sharing.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Did he give any indication of when this would be available in new gas-powered vehicles? I'm tempted to get either an XC60 or XC40, but if that will be on the 2021 models I'd definitely wait to get the new infotainment as I think this is going to be a massive improvement. I'd hate to hold off for a year and still not have that available though.

Which was when and where?

Which was when and where?
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s65...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by sillyvalleyguy; 10-18-2019 at 05:40 PM.

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2