v90 cc...sigh..blind spots...yikes...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

v90 cc...sigh..blind spots...yikes...

vent coming...this is just a random post to drum up comaraderie.................or not...

love my v90cc ocean race...but damn..........

there really is a major blind spot turning left due to the large driver's side mirror...

crazy...

but similarly, there's also a large blind spot approaching a parking space curb - with its large front end hood - with the desire to not scrape!

just something you have to live with, i guess...

are both "annoying" to you, too?

R

(my height: 6 foot tall (1.83 meters); seat height at mid point)
      Last edited by hackR; 10-09-2019 at 09:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We have a 2018 V90CC

just something you have to live with, i guess... - Or buy another car?

are both "annoying" to you, too? - No

The sideview mirror thing is sort of annoying, but combined with the thick a-pillar is pretty normal these days.

The front end issue you describe isn't really much of an issue to me. The CC sits pretty high so you'd have to encounter a pretty high curb to scrape it, and you'd have to do it all while the parking sensors are binging and gonging like crazy and the Sensus screen is flashing like a Christmas tree.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I think modern car design language trends with high window sills and big mirrors do cause some blind spots.

This is why the technology in our cars is so helpful. I use the 360 degree camera in mine all the time whenever a spot is even remotely tight.

It also doesn't help that these cars are so wide. It is actually difficult to get my S90 out of my driveway (a problem I never had with my S80 or my v70) even with the 360 degree camera.

The funny part is, the S90 is so wide on the outside, yet it still feels a little cramped in the drivers seat due to that massive and tall center wall.

After the awesome airy and spacious design of the S80, I don't know what they were thinking with that massive tall center console. It makes me feel squished in.

I recently drove an S90 as a loaner and the first thing I noticed was the side mirrors are not as tall as the ones on my V90 CC. Wonder if you could swap them. Obviously pricey.
      2018 V90 CC T5, Onyx Black, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      ...all while the parking sensors are binging and gonging like crazy and the Sensus screen is flashing like a Christmas tree.
      love this!

I didn’t realize how big the mirrors were until someone mentioned it and I started realizing they’re pretty big. I have certainly had some instances where they got in the way a bit, but Than I had a Chevy Malibu rental car with tiny mirrors and could barely see anything when checking my blind spot to change lanes. I’ll take the bigger mirror. As others have said, the sensors would be going nuts. I’ve had to slow down and look around the mirror before when going around a turn. Is what it is.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

The worst part about sensors is they are all silent when you scratch a wheel on curb...

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      The sideview mirror thing is sort of annoying, but combined with the thick a-pillar is pretty normal these days.
      The thick A-pillar is probably less of a fashion thing and more of a "must fit curtain airbag" thing.

It's a little annoying to me, but in the grand scheme of things, I think I'd rather have the airbag.

And here I was thinking the mirrors are kind of tiny.

My biggest blind spot complaint, and is with most vehicles, is the rear view mirror (and associated blacked out area of the windshield) blocks my view of cross traffic coming from the right, or cars entering the freeway from the right. I'm 6'3 and am constantly lowering my head to see...and even then not good. Having said that, this is the way all vehicles are, except for my truck, where I still have to lower my head a smidge....but not much.
      --LP
      luveropfeanuts
      Me, Wife & The Peanuts: 2 Golden Retrievers

Garage: 2003 XC70, 2006 F250 6.0L PSD, 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD, 2018 V90 CC T6

my wife hates this "feature". I noticed it at some intersections too, nearly hit another car which I did not see coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ssutcliffe View Post
      I recently drove an S90 as a loaner and the first thing I noticed was the side mirrors are not as tall as the ones on my V90 CC. Wonder if you could swap them. Obviously pricey.
      If this is true, this is pretty bad - did Volvo just slap the XC90 mirrors on the V90CC instead of the S90's mirror? The seating position in a XC90 is quite a bit different than the V90s.

BTW, I agree, the mirrors are a huge blind spot. Something I thought would be resolved with seating position but never really found a position that eliminates it.

Someone mentioned using the 360 cameras for parking - this only goes on automatically when putting the car in reverse. However, if I go really slow in drive, I get some "Park In" screen that for some reason does not include the cameras. Is there any setting that allows the cameras to be enabled instead?

I’ve had cars with side curtain air bags with fairly narrow A pillar posts. I believe that the reason you are seeing thicker A pillar posts is to meet roll over roof crush crash standards.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvo’s: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

I'm currently driving an S60 loaner and I absolutely hate the tiny mirrors. Maybe it's just a "getting used to" thing but I feel way more comfortable with the "see everything" size mirrors in my V90CC.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

The 360° Camera makes the front hood a non-issue, as do the front parking sensors. I also just move my head a little to see around the mirror and it's not an issue. I also stop completely at stop signs and use abundant caution whenever operating the car.

On the other hand, I love the large mirrors and lack of blind spots on the highway.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by bmacto View Post
      If this is true, this is pretty bad - did Volvo just slap the XC90 mirrors on the V90CC instead of the S90's mirror? The seating position in a XC90 is quite a bit different than the V90s.

BTW, I agree, the mirrors are a huge blind spot. Something I thought would be resolved with seating position but never really found a position that eliminates it.

Someone mentioned using the 360 cameras for parking - this only goes on automatically when putting the car in reverse. However, if I go really slow in drive, I get some "Park In" screen that for some reason does not include the cameras. Is there any setting that allows the cameras to be enabled instead?
      I really don't understand this talk about "blind spots" with the V90CC. The large mirrors are a huge plus, to me. If you point the mirrors outward toward your blind spot, how is there a blind spot? Both outside mirrors should be angled so that you barely see the side of your own car when looking normally out the window at the mirrors. My beef with the new mirrors is that the glass is set too far back in the mirror housing, cutting down on the usefulness of the mirrors because of the edges of the housing sticking out so far; I've not seen this on any other car brands' mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      I really don't understand this talk about "blind spots" with the V90CC.
      agree the side mirrors perform as they should...the core of this post is that the mirrors are large and when you turn left - especially a 90 degree intersection - the drivers side mirror can block the turn view...R

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      I really don't understand this talk about "blind spots" with the V90CC. The large mirrors are a huge plus, to me. If you point the mirrors outward toward your blind spot, how is there a blind spot? Both outside mirrors should be angled so that you barely see the side of your own car when looking normally out the window at the mirrors. My beef with the new mirrors is that the glass is set too far back in the mirror housing, cutting down on the usefulness of the mirrors because of the edges of the housing sticking out so far; I've not seen this on any other car brands' mirrors.
      My biggest "blind spot" complaint with these new S/V90 models is that the widnow sills are very high, and this results in less visibility and open feel of the vehicle.

Volvo is hardly the only car that has this problem. For the last 15 years this has been a terrible trend.

Id prefer to go back to when sills where flow and visibility was prioritized.

I want the cabin to have a open feel. Exposed as much as possible to the outside world. Not this constrained nonsense current trends have us put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      My biggest "blind spot" complaint with these new S/V90 models is that the widnow sills are very high, and this results in less visibility and open feel of the vehicle.

Volvo is hardly the only car that has this problem. For the last 15 years this has been a terrible trend.

Id prefer to go back to when sills where flow and visibility was prioritized.

I want the cabin to have a open feel. Exposed as much as possible to the outside world. Not this constrained nonsense current trends have us put up with.
      so get a jeep and drive around without door with leg hanging outside of the vehicle.
      This is part of side impact protection.

I personally don't have a problem with the mirrors - maybe because I'm tall and position my seat fairly high. The A pillars are a bit thick but I remind myself that they are like that for safety reasons (it is a Volvo after all) so that's a trade-off I'm happy to make.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

What I never knew I had a problem with in the S90 was the B-Pillar in fact. I was backing out of my driveway, looked both ways as usual, but I was at a certain spot in my driveway where the passenger B-Pillar was the exact shape of the street over my shoulder, and I did not see a car coming. In our hood, they won't slow down for you, i jammed on the brakes and he swerved a little bit. I adjusted my departure method now as to look ahead of and behind the b-pillar now when I'm backing. And you're going to ask why I didn't see it on the camera, i have a row of bushes 2 feet from the curb that kinda make a wall. I know, not the car's fault, but I can see over them, minus the B-Pillar. And the far-sighted backup beepers weren't going off, so they didn't see him coming either. Lesson learned.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements