New piston rings going in 2014 S60 T5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New piston rings going in 2014 S60 T5

So at 63k the car is getting new piston rings for oil consumption. I bought the car with 8k on it in early 2016. Noticed the oil ran dirty quickly. Then this last oil it change it suddenly consumed so much oil in 3400 miles that the oil pressure warning flashed. So I stopped and had it towed. They looked at it a couple days and called saying they are replacing the rings.

I specially researched this when trading in my 2002 S60 on this car. I thought I was well outside this issue, guess not. I figure I will watch it closely after the change. Of course I’m now concerned about the engine’s longevity. I put 210k on the last one. Is there anything I should be doing here? It is CPO until July 2020. I was quickly shutdown when asked about the bearings.

Thoughts?
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6, Osmium Gray with Charcoal interior, Convenience Package, Bowers and Wilkins, HUD, Air Susp.
      2014 Volvo S60 T5 Platinum AWD, Crystal White Pearl/Beechwood, Sport Package, Climate Package
      1995 Ford F250, 4x4 off road package, (In Storage during winters, very nice condition)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That is surprising on a '14. The vast majority of the issues that folks post about is the '12 cars with a few '13 thrown in. I don't have any experience with bearings but when you get the car back try to listen for any knocking - hopefully you caught it in time and did no bearing damage.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

There is a bulletin for the B5254T12 engines, which were used from 2013 to 2016. If the low oil light comes on and there are no external leaks, it gets piston rings (assuming proper service intervals haven been followed, of course)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

is this a recall? or are you paying the shop out of pocket

Quote Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
      is this a recall? or are you paying the shop out of pocket
      It is not a recall. His car is CPO so it's warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      It is not a recall. His car is CPO so it's warranty.
      yes correct CPO, so it is warranty coverage. They still have the car, pistons were out yesterday. I talked to the mechanic, seemed to have a good process to inspect the rod bearings and bore, if the cylinder bores were damaged they were going to put a short block in. I told them Im not in a rush to get it back
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6, Osmium Gray with Charcoal interior, Convenience Package, Bowers and Wilkins, HUD, Air Susp.
      2014 Volvo S60 T5 Platinum AWD, Crystal White Pearl/Beechwood, Sport Package, Climate Package
      1995 Ford F250, 4x4 off road package, (In Storage during winters, very nice condition)

Hello. I’m having the same issue.
      Oil Consumption issues 2013 s60 T5
      Hello all, I’ve been burning thru 4 quarts of oil in 500 miles. Took it to the dealership who documented the consumption. dropped my car off Monday per their request. They said they’d have it for about a week for diagnostics and possibly new piston rings or engine. The service associate called my yesterday to say repair is not covered by my warranty and costs $4,700 but he is “working on it” called me today and said Volvo is willing to cover the parts but I have to pay labor which is $1,700. Has anyone else had experience with this? Thank you

Is it normal to have to cover labor?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarakay11 View Post
      Hello. I’m having the same issue.
      Oil Consumption issues 2013 s60 T5
      Hello all, I’ve been burning thru 4 quarts of oil in 500 miles. Took it to the dealership who documented the consumption. dropped my car off Monday per their request. They said they’d have it for about a week for diagnostics and possibly new piston rings or engine. The service associate called my yesterday to say repair is not covered by my warranty and costs $4,700 but he is “working on it” called me today and said Volvo is willing to cover the parts but I have to pay labor which is $1,700. Has anyone else had experience with this? Thank you

Is it normal to have to cover labor?
      Are you out of warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Are you out of warranty?
      The service associate called my yesterday to say repair is not covered by my warranty
      To echo Tech, do you have a CPO warranty, extended warranty, third party warranty?
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

I have a separate warranty I bought when I bought the car used. Not through Volvo

third party warranty

And how many miles are on the car?

Goodwill is case by case. If you aren't the original owner and/or have higher miles and/or don't have much dealer service history, paying labor is a good deal. I've seen some 50/50 splits offered. Some fully goodwilled (usually original owner's who always service at the dealer)

82,000. Thank you for responding. I thought it was a decent deal too. He also said they’re charging me warranty labor price not retail. I just hope this fixes everything.

I think that's a really good solution for a car out of warranty to pay around 1/3 of the price - good for you!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

For $1700 better make sure they change your piston rings and not just the PVC breather box/oil filter housing. Inspect the parts carefully to make sure they change your piston rings. It's a big job. Your head has to be removed, the pan underneath has to be dropped and the rings need to be installed at a staggered angle. A lot of parts need to be removed before the head, the dogbone engine mount, alternator, air box Bosch computer, fuel rail, solenoids, cam cover which has 40+ bolts, the big 12 engine head bolts etc etc. And then it has to be all put back together which in cam cover's case involves a special glue.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Thank you so much for your advice. I had my PCV replaced about 5 months ago. Now thinking that it was needed due to this other issue.

They did say it could take up to 2 weeks. In the meantime I have a loaner car, it’s a 2020 S60 and is glorious

They did say it could take up to 2 weeks. In the meantime I have a loaner car, itís a 2020 S60 and is glorious
      Wow, that's a nice loaner. Can you give us your overall review of the new 2019-20 S60 compared to the 2011-2018 ? Interior feel, ride comparison, braking, acceleration, roominess factor, tech features such as ACC, etc. Thanks

So the start/stop engine is a knob that you turn located behind the gear stick. It’s an extremely smooth drive. The main consult is a touch screen that can display your daily mileage driven and gas consumption. Very safe back up camera and alerts when parking if your too close to another ca. The body style looks reminds me of a BMW, less wide in the back.
      I’m not a big car person so I’m not great at describing details lol

You can also adjust drive mode to Eco (for efficient drive), Comfort (for everyday use) or Dynamic (for High performance)

Also the side mirrors automatically fold in when you lock the car then unfold when unlocking

Also the side mirrors automatically fold in when you lock the car then unfold when unlocking
      The 2011-2018 cars do that too. At least, it was available as an option.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Wow, that's a nice loaner. Can you give us your overall review of the new 2019-20 S60 compared to the 2011-2018 ? Interior feel, ride comparison, braking, acceleration, roominess factor, tech features such as ACC, etc. Thanks
      Based on my experience going from a P3 V60 to a spa S60 as a loaner and then back when my car was fixed, the driving dynamics were very similar, but the feel from the cockpit is a huge leap forward. That huge leap forward became less appealing over time because I found so many things I didn't like with the touch screen infotainment system. It got to the point where I was looking forward to getting my old car back and being able to actually touch buttons to control things. If I needed navigation more often, I would probably like the new car's infotainment system a lot more. Our navigation is terrible, but the new car's navigation is really nice. And so is the android auto integration. But since most of my driving is a commute with no traffic, I rarely have a need for navigation. I would rather have physical buttons controlling the HVAC (which I adjust every time I'm in the car and as I drive) than a spiffy navigation system (that I rarely use). Thankfully, I could change channels with the steering wheel controls, because changing channels with the touch screen felt like a chore. Adding physical RADIO, NAV, MY CAR, BLUETOOTH, PHONE buttons like we have to quickly select what you wanted before going into the touch screen would have been a huge help. Sad they didn't do that. The rest of the cockpit that didn't have to do with the infotainment system just looked and felt nicer and newer. I do like the look and feel of our steering wheel better than the new ones though. The seat comfort felt the same.

That said, I would consider a spa V90 to replace my p3 V60 a few years down the road if the price is right. But hopefully by then, my wife will have a crossover and I won't need to limit my search to vehicles that come in wagon form.
      Last edited by meade18; 10-24-2019 at 02:39 PM.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Based on my experience going from a P3 V60 to a spa S60 as a loaner and then back when my car was fixed, the driving dynamics were very similar, but the feel from the cockpit is a huge leap forward. That huge leap forward became less appealing over time because I found so many things I didn't like with the touch screen infotainment system. It got to the point where I was looking forward to getting my old car back and being able to actually touch buttons to control things. If I needed navigation more often, I would probably like the new car's infotainment system a lot more. Our navigation is terrible, but the new car's navigation is really nice. And so is the android auto integration. But since most of my driving is a commute with no traffic, I rarely have a need for navigation. I would rather have physical buttons controlling the HVAC (which I adjust every time I'm in the car and as I drive) than a spiffy navigation system (that I rarely use). Thankfully, I could change channels with the steering wheel controls, because changing channels with the touch screen felt like a chore. Adding physical RADIO, NAV, MY CAR, BLUETOOTH, PHONE buttons like we have to quickly select what you wanted before going into the touch screen would have been a huge help. Sad they didn't do that. The rest of the cockpit that didn't have to do with the infotainment system just looked and felt nicer and newer. I do like the look and feel of our steering wheel better than the new ones though. The seat comfort felt the same.

That said, I would consider a spa V90 to replace my p3 V60 a few years down the road if the price is right. But hopefully by then, my wife will have a crossover and I won't need to limit my search to vehicles that come in wagon form.
      got it, thanks. In about 3-4 years when my 2012 S60 which now has 111,000 miles gets to about 150,000 one of my kids will get a pretty good and safe hand-me-down. At which point I could see myself in a 2015 or 2016 S60 with more tech than my basic 2012 which its original owner probably ditched because they noticed it already started to burn oil at the 31K mark when I bought it certified in mid $20K range.

By 2021 or so those 2015 and 2016 S60s will drop in value because the dealers will be looking to unload them while trying to push the 19s and 20s..

I hear ya on the tech...not a fan either of touchscreens...bring back the buttons V O L V O. The newer S60s look a lot more like Audis and upscale. I prefer 2011-18 styling.

The last new car I bought was a 2001 Passat back in 2000...Don't think I will ever be able to afford a new Volvo.

Hello, I have an update to my situation. I appreciate your input. They called today and said they cannot replace the pistons, the entire engine needs to be replaced. They will pay some and I pay $6,600. I’m waiting for a call back to see if it’s a used or new engine. My concern is that the fix is worth more than the car at this point. Also what if oil consumption happens again in 40k miles. I’m stumped trying to figure out where to go from here.

Hello, I have an update to my situation. I appreciate your input. They called today and said they cannot replace the pistons, the entire engine needs to be replaced. They will pay some and I pay $6,600. Iím waiting for a call back to see if itís a used or new engine. My concern is that the fix is worth more than the car at this point. Also what if oil consumption happens again in 40k miles. Iím stumped trying to figure out where to go from here.
      If I were in your shoes I would not fork out $6,600. Too much money relative to the value of the car.
      If car is driveable at this point (i.e. they don't have the engine torn apart) I would either drive it till it dies or trade it in for something else.
      If car is torn apart, I' try to get them to charge you less.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

They car is completely torn apart. They could “try to put it back together” I’m assuming I’d have to pay for the labor still. I would be willing to just drive it until it dies like you suggested. The new engine does have a lifetime warranty

What would you recommend to say to try to get the price down? You have no idea how much your advice is appreciated!!

I'd probably revisit your warranty given this new information to see if that changes anything with respect to coverage.

You mentioned earlier that the cost of the piston replacement was $4,700 and of that amount you had to pay $1,700, so you were responsible for 36% of the cost.

Now the engine replacement may be apples and oranges but what is the total cost of that job of which you're being asked to pay $6,600?

I'd certainly hesitate putting $6,600 into this car (82k mile '13 T5), which has a trade in value of less than this number.

I'd want to understand line by line costs for the engine replacement - maybe there's a cheaper solution for the replacement motor. Either that or sell the car to the dealer for what you can get and move on.

What would you recommend to say to try to get the price down? You have no idea how much your advice is appreciated!!
      Wow, this sounds like it sucks. You mentioned earlier that you have a third party insurance/warranty. What are they willing to contribute to this mess?

If the dealership has asked you to pay $6,600, what's the total cost of an engine? Sounds like they are not covering much.

You also mentioned that they wanted you to pay $1,700 (labour) on the $4,700 bill. How can justify jumping from $1,700 to $6,600?
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post

I'd want to understand line by line costs for the engine replacement
      This. What exactly would you be getting for this $6,600? New or refurbished? short block only, or new cylinder head as well? I personally wouldn't invest $6600 in the vehicle myself, even it if was a complete brand new engine, but that is because I have the ability to change out an engine myself. It is always a bit shocking to me how much dealerships want for labor. I understand why their rates are what they are, i'm just not accustomed to paying them. If it were me, I would look into just purchasing a new short block, send the head to a machine shop for a rebuild, and then rebuild the engine myself. But I understand that is not a practical option for most people. Even if you have the skill and tools, the time required (time without transport if it is your only vehicle) can make it a non-option.

A new/rebuilt engine should be good for at least another 200k miles if properly cared for, but the transmission... the turbo... exhaust system... fuel pump... electric sensors... suspension components... After dumping that kind of money into it, it will still continue to need more and more costly maintenance and service like any aging car would. Combine that with a stiff $6600 bill, and the economics don't make much sense unless you plan on keeping this car for another 10 years.

I also would want to see the cylinder bores myself to know for a fact the block is beyond saving. You never know when a shop might see an opportunity to take advantage. The car is already torn apart, so they do have the upper hand here. You're already on the hook for an expensive bill, no matter what you decide to do.

I hate to think any service center would be that deceitful, but it could happen. If they can get you to "sell" them the car for next to nothing, and they can manage to fix it on the cheap they could market it as having a "brand new engine" and turn a good profit. Keep in mind, they would charge you $6,600 for the repair, but their actual costs would be much lower than that. So whether you have them replace the engine, or you sell it to them, either way they profit from your misfortune.

It's a business, not a charity. I get that they need to turn a profit, that's the whole point. Something about it still doesn't sit right with me though, given the relatively low mileage for an engine failure, combined with the fact that this type of pre-mature failure seems all too common with these engines in this specific year range, even with proof of adequate service history in many cases.
      Last edited by budleach; 11-01-2019 at 09:23 AM.

What does'nt sit right is that a customer buys a car in good faith at fair market price not expecting to get a defective engine. All of a sudden they are left holding the bag. Volvo knows about this and should make an effort to help out. The dealer should not have to swallow the cost. They did not design that engine. They should be understanding and cooperative though.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Hello, I have an update to my situation. I appreciate your input. They called today and said they cannot replace the pistons, the entire engine needs to be replaced. They will pay some and I pay $6,600. Iím waiting for a call back to see if itís a used or new engine. My concern is that the fix is worth more than the car at this point. Also what if oil consumption happens again in 40k miles. Iím stumped trying to figure out where to go from here.
      $6600 is a lot for a 2013 S60 T5 with 82,000 miles. By them saying your engine is irreparable and only replaceable also makes me want to question what exactly is damaged. I doubt your engine bore has become damaged so prematurely. That by itself is highly unlikely.

I would search for Volvo indys in your area and take possession of your car and cut your losses with that Volvo dealer. Have your car held at the Volvo dealer until you can find a shop to have it towed to or explain to them you are having financial hardship.

You have the right to have it towed to the shop of your choice and you are not their hostage. Even if dismantled, take all parts back and tow it out of there before they run up the bill. Indy shops charge less but make sure you find a reputable one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      I doubt your engine bore has become damaged so prematurely. That by itself is highly unlikely.
      Not at all. It's the first thing we check for when the head comes off for those oil burners.

Then if it's true, I sell the car to the dealer and trade it in for whatever they have on their lot that runs. Even if it's a beater with 150,000 miles on their lot, make sure the beater was properly maintained. Most dealers keep a few older high mileage trade-ins on their lot.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast