Purchasing 2017 T6 Advice
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi all- after reading through the forum I'm finding that 2017 is a decent middle ground between risk (safer choice vs 2016) and cost ($4-5k less than 2018). Any advice before I pull the trigger?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Any way you can check if the vehicle has the most painful/applicable service updates (if this is the right word) completed like for the spark plug, leaky roof, etc (based on forum complaints) before you make the purchase?
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by fecone View Post
      Hi all- after reading through the forum I'm finding that 2017 is a decent middle ground between risk (safer choice vs 2016) and cost ($4-5k less than 2018). Any advice before I pull the trigger?
      Simple Answer
      1. Take the vehicle to an authorized Volvo service center for an inspection, including error code read outs, if any.

2. Make sure you verify the options and accessories that you expect. (e.g., dual USB to support Android if ever desired); BLIS; et al

If you are picky and inquisitive, you can also take the following paths:
      1. Get a 3-day subscription and review the applicable technical journals and service campaigns for applicability and resolution. It cost $5 for three days and we’ll worth it.

2. Of the significant reported issues that have been reported, document those and have the seller disclose in writing that no such issue was encountered, if it was, that it was corrected by a qualified Volvo service center. Have the seller sign it.

Also, have the seller disclose the work that was DIY, including add-ons mods, service and repairs. Have them sign that (or include it in the one above). This step may not be practical for a second owner car. I am thinking mostly about a dealer who may not sign either. But you may create some room for negotiation.

3. If the seller is not the first owner, try to locate the name and contact information of the first (real) owner. Privacy laws will likely inhibit this.

4. You should have a CarFax-like report generated. There are more than CarFax options and not everything is reported. The keys are to avoid vehicles that were bought at auction, and those with an marked title.

5. Make sure that the service has been routinely and regularly done.

I hope this helpful. I would do this due diligence on ANY used vehicle that I would ever buy, regardless of manufacturer and model. If one was ever aircraft owner or pilot, that is the context from which I speak.

P.S., I do not agree with the proposition of simply excluding MY16s. You can find excellent deals, particularly if one (real) owner. I have every receipt, service and the full 9-yards on my T8. I would also recommend a T8. In both cases, I am admittedly biased. Of course, my car has been meticulously maintained and serviced for which I will hang on until the XC90 EVs roll-out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 10-12-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Modified step 2.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Gary, I generally agree with most of what you stated. I would not expect the owner to sign away on a document indicating what was done or what was not. That implies that the owner either knows a lot about cars or is truthful, etcetera. People will do all sorts of things to dump a car. It is not worth going after them. I think your advice to take it to a dealer is the best approach. They can look up the service records and perform a thorough check of the car. In so far as one year is better or worst really comes down to the individual car. Had all the 2016s been bad then there probably would not have been a 2017 or 2018 model year. Other than a few folks most on this forum are not car people. A lot of people complain about the most mundane things and expect a complex car like the SPA platform cars to be perfect. All the manufacturers are producing cars that are much more dependent upon sensors and computers. It is the future. Autonomous driving essentially is all sensors and computers, fuzzy logic and a bit of AI. Like you I have had nothing but joy in driving my 2017 XC90 T8. The car still makes me feel really good driving down the road.

I am still debating what I will do as my car approaches the end of its warranty. I have never been a fan of purchasing an extended warranty. However, I realize that a buyer will expect some sort of protection if I expect to get a good price for my car. So I will either add a warranty and then keep the car till the new one comes out or sell it with some remaining warranty so that the new buyer can purchase an extended warranty. Like Range Rover, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche, BMW, all Italian cars once off of warranty, bills can become overwhelming. A simple Porsche mid engine will require the removal of the engine for some fairly innocuous repairs. Turn on YouTube and watch "Hoovies" to see how cars that were complex in the early 2000s are costing him an arm and a leg as they fall apart. Having said all of this I still love cars and am excited about the new XC90 in 2022! If it goes all electric I am in big time. As has been said you can't take it to your grave so enjoy it while you can.
      Last edited by drmanny3; 10-12-2019 at 10:40 AM.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

To put it simple:
      - look at CPO cars first. They are more expensive than non-CPO cars but for a good reason and assurance.
      - Consider CPO extended warranty if you want to keep it for some years.
      - Get dealer pull the service history, check if anything beyond normal.
      - For typical problems reported here, such as sunroof, make sure no problem or repaired properly.
      - Spark plugs, if applicable, have been replaced
      - Dual USB for Android Auto
      - PA2 is installed, works up to 80mph
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      To put it simple:
      - look at CPO cars first. They are more expensive than non-CPO cars but for a good reason and assurance.
      - Consider CPO extended warranty if you want to keep it for some years.
      - Get dealer pull the service history, check if anything beyond normal.
      - For typical problems reported here, such as sunroof, make sure no problem or repaired properly.
      - Spark plugs, if applicable, have been replaced
      - Dual USB for Android Auto
      - PA2 is installed, works up to 80mph
      Having going through an experience and not having CPO protection - The safest route IMHO, get a CPO, look at VIP and all the other dealer advice others have given.

I wouldn't rule out a 2016 but if you get MY16, it just takes a bit more work to ensure you're getting a good product because real problem to solve here is how to get peace of mind. CPO + VIP + ensuring service records, SRs/TJs addressed before picking up.
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription - Crystal White/Amber | 21" 8-spoke | B/W | Vision | Climate | Convenience | 4C Air |

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      Gary, I generally agree with most of what you stated. I would not expect the owner to sign away on a document indicating what was done or what was not. That implies that the owner either knows a lot about cars or is truthful, etcetera. People will do all sorts of things to dump a car. It is not worth going after them. I think your advice to take it to a dealer is the best approach. ...
      @DrManny3: I agree with your statement above from a practical point of view. Even if it is not signed, one might see some flags or get a better deal if a dealer is the seller. I tweaked #2 in my second set slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Generally if a car still has a portion of its original warranty in place it is probably a safe bet. I have to think that buy backs, and lemon law vehicles represent a very small percentage of the vehicles. So one should be ok if your car is checked out at the Volvo Dealership. Just make sure you check all the functions out first. Anything that is not working have the dealership fix before purchasing. If you buy from other than a Volvo dealership be aware that they might not be in position to repair everything. Wear items are generally not covered. Check the brake pads and tires for excessive wear. Volvos are not the kind of cars that end up with many owners like an expensive sports car might have. The buyer of a Volvo probably is a bit conservative (car wise). If your Volvo has had a lot of owners in a short period of time then be suspect of why. Look at where the car spent its time. Be suspect of flood areas like Texas, Florida, Midwest States, etcetera. Other than buyer beware, I feel that Volvo builds a pretty decent automobile.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements