Quick question about tint.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Quick question about tint.

Hello fellow OSD shoppers.
      Has anyone installed window tint on the freshly delivered car?
      My OSD delivery rep at the factory was so clueless about any questions I had that I forced to ask here. Would like to tint the windows and install clear bra on my way to Central Europe in Germany. At he OSG my guy said that he is not sure if that is allowed as the US customs might think the tint contains drugs and he believes I will have a problem when they start ripping it off.
      The car I just picked up had issues from the start (fogged headlamp, the triple flashers would not activate no matter what, 360 camera would not show sides) but Im sure I will take care of them later and still love the car.
      Let me know if you have any experience with the tint.
      Roman

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have not installed tint or PPF between OSD pickup and dropoff. But I very much wanted to do PPF as soon as possible after OSD pickup to protect the beautiful Volvo! Instead of PPFing I chose to only drive around for a day to minimize potential damage then proceed to OSD dropoff.

However the US customs concern is completely valid. Any modification or car addition not covered under Volvo's sale is either subject to confiscation at US port or customs delay for additional payment. Note that US Customs is normally the black hole of communication of the OSD delivery process - can't imagine how much worse it will be with a violation.

There are numerous stories in this forum of folks missing stuff left in the car that was not part of Volvo's sale. However there are stories of the opposite as well. But the point is one takes a risk by modifying or making an addition so there is no guaranteed outcome.

Will a tint be noticed at US customs when every single other new OSD or non-OSD Volvo around it (presumably) doesn't have tint (in the front windshield and front side windows)? Very likely if the tint is strong and in normally non-tinted windows. And remember, based on stories from this forum it appears these customs folks sole job in life is to find import violations!

Will PPF be noticed at US customs? Probably not but again, there is no guaranteed outcome.

Please let us know the inspection outcome if you try either window tinting and/or front end PPFing. Many OSDers have the same concern. Good luck and congrats on choosing Volvo!
      Last edited by likeXC90; 10-12-2019 at 05:10 AM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Hello fellow OSD shoppers.
      Has anyone installed window tint on the freshly delivered car?
      My OSD delivery rep at the factory was so clueless about any questions I had that I forced to ask here. Would like to tint the windows and install clear bra on my way to Central Europe in Germany. At he OSG my guy said that he is not sure if that is allowed as the US customs might think the tint contains drugs and he believes I will have a problem when they start ripping it off.
      The car I just picked up had issues from the start (fogged headlamp, the triple flashers would not activate no matter what, 360 camera would not show sides) but Im sure I will take care of them later and still love the car.
      Let me know if you have any experience with the tint.
      Roman
      Some European countries prohibit tint on front side windows. Check local laws before doing this. Doubt customs would even notice additional tint.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I will not be covering the front windows at all. I was hoping to make the trunk windows 50% and maybe forget the tear doors all together or install in the US later. I’ll do the ppf on the front the hood and the front fenders. Well I guess will find out soon enough. Hope they won’t steal the box with roof bars that will be stored in the trunk together with the soft floor mats. If they do I will be calling the OSD office to send replacements ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what you describe it sounds like there's a low risk of detection. Roof box, mats should be ok, just keep the receipt. (My mats were fine.) Please let us know how it goes!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements