SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Vibrations when braking at high speed? Read this.

887 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  pbierre 
#1 ·
This is a new car to me, 2008 xc70 and brakes were high on the list. The symptoms were vibrations at higher speeds, say above 80. In hindsight they were a bit inconsistent, sometimes mild, sometimes more severe... today I tackled the front brakes and surprisingly I found the caliber bracket bolts to be hand tightened at best. I was getting psyched to overcome the 200lb and found almost nothing. The brakes were serviced by a Volvo dealer 40 thousand km ago. Volvo disks and pads. Initially I got mad thinking that some dumbass forgot to tighten them properly but both sides seem a bit improbable. Not impossible just improbable.

I think the vibrations and the heat loosened the bolts. Even with the thread locker that comes standard with the Volvo bolts (genuine disks come with bracket bolts). So I would recommend checking these bolts. Not sure about hen v70 but the Xc has enough clearance to do this increase the ground.

Good luck.

#5 ·
If you buy Volvo rotors, you get new bracket bolts, loctite-dipped.

I had braking shudder at > 60 mph on my 2004 XC70. While swapping in new front rotors, I took the old ones and laid them face-to-face. There was about 1/2 mm wobble (error in flatness), easily enough to explain the vibrations. New rotors (and pads) did the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.