What the heck happened during shipping/processing?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What the heck happened during shipping/processing?

I just picked up my OSD XC90 this morning, and as I was admiring it when I got home, I noticed that the wheel arch seemed like it was sticking out. I get down low, and on closer inspection, I see that it’s not even on correctly. And to top it off, there’s a good sized gouge in the paint on the bumper. Could this have happened when they installed the mud flaps?

I called the salesperson right away, and I’m going to go back down there so they can look at it. I’m sure they’ll fix it, but I’m guessing this means it’ll be in the shop for a while. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mollycat View Post
      And to top it off, there’s a good sized gouge in the paint on the bumper. Could this have happened when they installed the mud flaps?
      Nope. The damage is only in the forward part of the wheel flare while assembling the mudflap needs access only to the rearmost 3 screws and nothing needs to be pulled apart. (The photo below shows how the right front tire mud flaps are simply screwed on top of everything so nothing has to be disassembled.) The fact there's a bumper gouge on the same side as the flare damage suggests something hit the right front but I can't tell if the bumper scratch is related to the wheel well/flare damage. Are there any scratches on the paint / clear coat?

In the 2nd picture (with the 3 question marks) that black wheel well cover is held down with screws, so for that to pop off would require some significant force.

Also, if I remember correctly, before taking away the car from the dealer you have to do a walk-around inspection of your car to catch this sort of damage and then sign a document that says it wasn't damaged. Did you do this (or is my memory off)?

And there's definitely healthy discussions somewhere under the XC90 pages { Swedespeed > FWD & AWD Volvo's > XC90 (SPA) } about whether to repaint or replace your bumper. I recommend you search and read before deciding how it will be fixed.

So sorry to hear this!
      Last edited by likeXC90; 10-12-2019 at 05:35 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

My Volvo was also damaged during transport. I had to file a claim and took 6 month to get reimbursed so I can take it to a local body shop to remedy the damages. PM me if you like more details.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Nope. The damage is only in the forward part of the wheel flare while assembling the mudflap needs access only to the rearmost 3 screws and nothing needs to be pulled apart. (The photo below shows how the right front tire mud flaps are simply screwed on top of everything so nothing has to be disassembled.) The fact there's a bumper gouge on the same side as the flare damage suggests something hit the right front but I can't tell if the bumper scratch is related to the wheel well/flare damage. Are there any scratches on the paint / clear coat?

In the 2nd picture (with the 3 question marks) that black wheel well cover is held down with screws, so for that to pop off would require some significant force.

Also, if I remember correctly, before taking away the car from the dealer you have to do a walk-around inspection of your car to catch this sort of damage and then sign a document that says it wasn't damaged. Did you do this (or is my memory off)?

And there's definitely healthy discussions somewhere under the XC90 pages { Swedespeed > FWD & AWD Volvo's > XC90 (SPA) } about whether to repaint or replace your bumper. I recommend you search and read before deciding how it will be fixed.

So sorry to hear this!
      The sales manager said it looks like something bumped the bumper, which caused the wheel arch to pop out.

He said there’s no way to tell when it happened, so it might be hard to get Volvo to cover it. That would be infuriating because when we left the FDC, we did a walk around, and nothing was wrong. And if we had bumped into something during the trip, I’m sure we would have felt it, and even if we did cause it, we would have reported it at the FDC because it would have been covered under Volvo’s insurance. I mean, why would we wait to report it when it’s officially on our insurance? That would be silly.

No, there was no walk around upon redelivery. We signed registration docs and went straight to getting reacquainted with the controls, setting up VOC, etc. I did see a black waxy-looking smudge on the rear bumper, which they took note of and said they would fix. Then we drove home.

Unfortunately, it could have happened anywhere between the FDC and when you noticed it. Ideally, the dealer should have inspected the car when it was delivered off of the truck. It seems like they may not have done an effective job checking it in. Likewise, there should have been a detailed inspection by you when you took delivery. I am in the same type situation with my car in that the lower rear bumper has damage to it on the left side that is noticeable only at certain angles. My car was dealer traded from a dealer in Atlanta to Washington, DC and I cannot determine whether it was preexisting a just missed or whether it occurred on my watch. I noticed it about a week after I bought the car.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvo’s: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      Unfortunately, it could have happened anywhere between the FDC and when you noticed it. Ideally, the dealer should have inspected the car when it was delivered off of the truck. It seems like they may not have done an effective job checking it in. Likewise, there should have been a detailed inspection by you when you took delivery. I am in the same type situation with my car in that the lower rear bumper has damage to it on the left side that is noticeable only at certain angles. My car was dealer traded from a dealer in Atlanta to Washington, DC and I cannot determine whether it was preexisting a just missed or whether it occurred on my watch. I noticed it about a week after I bought the car.
      Oh bummer! I’d be interested to hear how your case turns out.

I did not pursue it due to the passage of time and mileage I put on the car.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvo’s: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

It would take more than a bump to cause that. The fasteners are actually ripped out. The bumper cover would need to be pulled outward for that to happen. Unfortunately there's no way to tell when it happened. I can't see a way for it to be missed during the PDI, it should be pretty obvious when checking tire pressures. If your dealer has cameras maybe they can check them to see if there is anything that can be seen when it was there.

No, there was no walk around upon redelivery. We signed registration docs and went straight to getting reacquainted with the controls, setting up VOC, etc.
      Something's not right. The whole point of filling in and signing the walk-around inspection in Gothenburg is for the customer to do the same back at their USA dealership to ensure the car condition is as received as it was shipped. Otherwise Volvo should just skip the pre-shipping inspection in Gothenburg if it's not going to be done at the USA dealer.
      If the USA dealer did not do the walk-around inspection then why exactly? Did Volvo OSD policy change? First I would ask your dealer then (without telling your dealer) I recommend you call Volvo Corporate OSD and ask the same question to see if the policy stories match.
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      It would take more than a bump to cause that. The fasteners are actually ripped out. The bumper cover would need to be pulled outward for that to happen. Unfortunately there's no way to tell when it happened. I can't see a way for it to be missed during the PDI, it should be pretty obvious when checking tire pressures. If your dealer has cameras maybe they can check them to see if there is anything that can be seen when it was there.
      Yes, the fasteners are ripped out. All the holes on the arch are torn, as is the one at the end of the bumper. I’m guessing this means the bumper and arch would have to be replaced?

I hate to ask about cameras...it sounds kind of accusatory, don’t you think? Or is it a reasonable thing to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Something's not right. The whole point of filling in and signing the walk-around inspection in Gothenburg is for the customer to do the same back at their USA dealership to ensure the car condition is as received as it was shipped. Otherwise Volvo should just skip the pre-shipping inspection in Gothenburg if it's not going to be done at the USA dealer.
      If the USA dealer did not do the walk-around inspection then why exactly? Did Volvo OSD policy change? First I would ask your dealer then (without telling your dealer) I recommend you call Volvo Corporate OSD and ask the same question to see if the policy stories match.
      Hmm. This dealership is very experienced in doing OSDs, so I can’t imagine they did anything out of the norm. Now I’m second-guessing my recollection... But the bottom line, to me, is that there was nothing wrong with the car when we turned it in at FDC, and the condition report shows that. So it only makes sense that something happened somewhere during those three months that the car was out of my hands...I think...

Now I’m second-guessing my recollection...
      I too was pretty excited seeing my car after waiting for 3 months and the walk-around was probably quicker and not as thorough as I would have liked. To be sure about whether you (or somebody) signed the walk-around inspection at the USA dealer, why not ask for a copy of the signed document? If they can't produce a legitimate one, why not, especially if they're supposed to be very experienced with OSDs? This might help your argument.

I recommend asking for the policy first (whether you signing a USA dealer walk-around inspection is required), and signed documents second, before asking for the camera footage.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 10-15-2019 at 09:26 AM.

I've had a customer get damage on their car during shipping. We caught it before they came to pick it up so we could help a little. However, there is nothing the dealer can really do as far as getting the funding done for the repairs as it does go through a claims process. On behalf of our customer we reached out to Volvo and did as much of the leg work as possible with getting the right paperwork and starting the claim, but frankly Volvo wanted the customer to be more directly involved. We ended up "spotting" the customer the repair cost and when they got reimbursed we got paid. No obligation for that, but it's the right thing to do for small repairs like this. In our case too the customer was very helpful in getting us all the documentation of the drop off inspection and other paperwork to show no damage at the time they gave up the keys. The whole process of getting the claim in and getting paid took maybe 2-3 weeks if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yes, the fasteners are ripped out. All the holes on the arch are torn, as is the one at the end of the bumper. I’m guessing this means the bumper and arch would have to be replaced?

I hate to ask about cameras...it sounds kind of accusatory, don’t you think? Or is it a reasonable thing to ask?

I'm surprised they didn't check the cameras anyway. My dealer would certainly check them. Then if there wasn't any damage, they know it happened after delivery.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements