Rotors/Pads suggestions.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Rotors/Pads suggestions.

I recently rejoined the Volvo family, and after sticking a good 25K on my 2013 S60, my dealer says it's time for some new rotors/pads. Before I go ahead and have them stick on a new set of oem parts, I'm curious to know if you fine folks have some other options for me. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

FCP Euro

Zimmerman

Akebono

/Thread
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

StopTech slotted rotors with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads on my car. Very good incremental upgrade over stock with improved fade resistance.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBhaji View Post
      I recently rejoined the Volvo family, and after sticking a good 25K on my 2013 S60, my dealer says it's time for some new rotors/pads. Before I go ahead and have them stick on a new set of oem parts, I'm curious to know if you fine folks have some other options for me. Thanks in advance for any advice!
      or...do you need new rotors? Are you having any issues? Or does your dealer just wanna make some money at your expense. I have a 2012 s60 t5 with around 57,000 miles and the original rotors and no problems. It's your money.

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      or...do you need new rotors? Are you having any issues? Or does your dealer just wanna make some money at your expense. I have a 2012 s60 t5 with around 57,000 miles and the original rotors and no problems. It's your money.
      I am at 70k and still using my oem rotors and brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you mean front pads/rotors??

I just put Akebono pads and CarQuest premium painted rotors on up front about 1,000 miles ago. Was impressed with the initial quality of both the pads and rotors, and so far I've had no dust or noise while driving. I also got new caliper guide-pins, as the originals were looking pretty rough after 75,000 miles. All-in the parts cost me about $260.

FCP Euro has OEM Volvo pads and rotors for less than $300, while Brembo or Zimmerman parts from FCP will be even cheaper. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the options I laid out.

If you have any mechanical aptitude I would recommend doing the job yourself as opposed to letting the dealer do it. The front brakes are super easy and you will likely save at least a few hundred bucks. Rear brakes are a different story due to the electric parking brake back there.
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 - IPD Rear Stabilizer Bar and IPD Rear End-Links
      2005 Pontiac GTO - Corsa Sport Exhaust, GMM Ripshift Shifter, Pedders Stage II Suspension

If you're not getting vibration, leave the rotors alone. Akebono's, EBC.. pads are great

for the rear brakes with electric parking. If you don't have vida/dice, the rear pads can be retracted manually using the correct star drive . At least for my 2012,s60, this procedure was on the internet and worked just fine .

Quote Originally Posted by RYJS60 View Post
      If you're not getting vibration, leave the rotors alone.
      As long as the rotors check out in terms of thickness, this is true. But just because they're not vibrating doesn't mean they're not worn too thin.

Thanks for the info. I am noticing a slight bit of vibration under braking recently. I bought the car with about 50k on it, close to the 75k mark now.

True That

I just replaced the front brakes on my 12. 78,000 miles and there was still pad left. I did have some strange wear on the inside of the right rotor. It looked like the pad wasn't sitting right. Usually there is only about 1/4" of rust around the perimeter of the rotor, where the pad doesn't make contact, but there was about 1.5" of rust around the inside of one of them. But looked like the pad started to make contact as that area started to eat through the pad. Glad I ordered new rotors. They're not that expensive and I don't have to worry about them for another 80k miles.

I used Zimmermann rotors and Pagid pads. These pads are semi-metallic as are OEM. I had absolutely no issues with brake noise or warping so I though I would stay with OEM. I did notice the Zimmermann rotors were much heaver then the originals. Not sure why. I have noticed the brake are much more sensitive than they were.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBhaji View Post
      My 2012 S60 R Design has 188,400 miles on it and I changed the front brakes at about 125,000 miles. Did the work myself. This was the easiest brake job ever. It still has the original rear brakes. I did nave the serpentine belt changed about 10,000 miles ago. My mechanic said that it still looked great, still pliable. This car is bullet proof. Minor problems with the FoMoCo ignition coils, but most importantly, the Volvo iridium plugs are a necessity. Without the proper plug, the turbo will "blow out" the spark and it will choke under boost.

I have a strong disagreement about any dealer recommending rotor replacement. They usually don't requirement replacement unless 1. Defective (unusual) or 2. some other unusual event(s) caused them to warp to the point where they are no longer in spec. Rotors usually may only need a light surfacing/honing to bring them back to smooth spec. This allows for optimum pad grip.

I am age 69 and in my life thus far I have found only one dealer I could trust NOT to over recommend service. Dealers and all mechanics for that matter know customers usually know very little to nothing about the mechanical function of their cars. Many/most Dealers and less than scrupulous independents take advantage of their position to perform unnecessary repairs/maintenance. They get $$$ from high labor fees and parts margins.

If this were me I would search for an independent Volvo mechanic for another opinion. It may take some time or not depending on how many there are where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      for the rear brakes with electric parking. If you don't have vida/dice, the rear pads can be retracted manually using the correct star drive . At least for my 2012,s60, this procedure was on the internet and worked just fine .
      I use a 9 volt battery connected to leads to retract the pads and I don't have to remove the rotor from the caliper and avoid damaging the seals, and I don't need VIDA. It works amazing and takes less than 10 seconds to do.
      2016 Crystal White 3.0 V60 r-design Platinum with P*, BLIS, technology package, convenience package, climate package, 19” Ixion IIs

Quote Originally Posted by Deeg16 View Post
      I use a 9 volt battery connected to leads to retract the pads and I don't have to remove the rotor from the caliper and avoid damaging the seals, and I don't need VIDA. It works amazing and takes less than 10 seconds to do.
      I imagine you just change the polarity if the brakes don't retract the first time you attempt to connect?
      '00 Mystic Silver metallic V70R, Rear Wing, Dolby
      '02 Desert Wind S40 Sports premium/winter pkg
      '12 Savile Gray metallic S60 T5, Premium/Climate/BLIS/City Safety/rear spoiler
      '13 Seashell metallic XC60 T6, Platinum/Climate/BLIS/Polestar-tuned/IPD anti-sway bar
      '16 Seashell metallic S60 T5 AWD (replaced '17 S60)
      '13A DICE/VIDA, x's '93 850 GLT, '04 XC90, '17 S60 T5 (Totaled!)

Quote Originally Posted by ranchhand1 View Post
      I have a strong disagreement about any dealer recommending rotor replacement. They usually don't requirement replacement unless 1. Defective (unusual) or 2. some other unusual event(s) caused them to warp to the point where they are no longer in spec. Rotors usually may only need a light surfacing/honing to bring them back to smooth spec.
      Strongly disagree with you. While rotors will often last for more than one set of pads they absolutely do wear out with normal use. I've seen rotors worn through to the inner cooling vanes on cars with less than 100,000 miles (stuck caliper and oblivious driver) and, more commonly, rotors that simply measure below the minimum thickness spec due to normal wear.

The idea that it is "unusual" for rotors to wear out is just plain wrong. They'll typically last longer than one set of pads but they don't last forever and they absolutely do wear out with normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Strongly disagree with you. While rotors will often last for more than one set of pads they absolutely do wear out with normal use. I've seen rotors worn through to the inner cooling vanes on cars with less than 100,000 miles (stuck caliper and oblivious driver) and, more commonly, rotors that simply measure below the minimum thickness spec due to normal wear.

The idea that it is "unusual" for rotors to wear out is just plain wrong. They'll typically last longer than one set of pads but they don't last forever and they absolutely do wear out with normal use.
      Agreed.

Additionally, our '16 V60CC with ~42k miles on the clock is on it's 3rd set of rear rotors and the 2nd set of fronts due to warpage. Thankfully all were covered by our 4 yr/50k warranty.

Edit: Actually the last set of rears were replaced due to an inside pad having gone metal to metal about 5k miles after the 40k service .
      Last edited by halfast3; 10-20-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Correction
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; '6? 145 & '7? 245, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

Quote Originally Posted by mrain1 View Post
      My 2012 S60 R Design has 188,400 miles on it and...It still has the original rear brakes.
      Are you sure your rear brakes are actually working? I would be amazed to find that rear pads on any car would last 188k...
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

If you want pads and rotors and want an upgrade....Ive got a set from my 2016 Polestar that I will be listing for sale soon.
      2016 P* Rebel (Mine)
      2006 SR Sonicama (Traded in for P*)
      2005 SR TiGray (RIP 07/09)

2010 XC70 (Wifes)
      2004 VR TiGray (Traded In for XC)

I have a strong disagreement about any dealer recommending rotor replacement. They usually don't requirement replacement unless 1. Defective (unusual) or 2. some other unusual event(s) caused them to warp to the point where they are no longer in spec. Rotors usually may only need a light surfacing/honing to bring them back to smooth spec. This allows for optimum pad grip.

I am age 69 and in my life thus far I have found only one dealer I could trust NOT to over recommend service. Dealers and all mechanics for that matter know customers usually know very little to nothing about the mechanical function of their cars. Many/most Dealers and less than scrupulous independents take advantage of their position to perform unnecessary repairs/maintenance. They get $$$ from high labor fees and parts margins.

If this were me I would search for an independent Volvo mechanic for another opinion. It may take some time or not depending on how many there are where you live.
      I agree with you , in general. More often than not, dealerships and independents can be scrupulous in their dealings with parts and repairs, especially with women. we have required inspections in Pa. and that can be an issue sometimes also. I trust very few repair shops. I haven't kept records of every story and bogus repair orders from friends, acquaintances and family members over the 40+ years of working on cars ,but there have been a lot.
      I don't want to argue, there are honest mechanics out there, and parts do wear out, but i've seen some pretty bogus work estimates.
      If i had a vehicle that required 5 sets of rotor replacements in 42,000 miles.....i'd be p%s#d.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Strongly disagree with you. While rotors will often last for more than one set of pads they absolutely do wear out with normal use.
      I completely agree! Furthermore if you do reuse the rotor they should be turned to remove any groves to insure a smooth mating surface for the new pads. How much does this service cost? $25-$30? You're most of the way to the cost of new rotors at this point plus the time and effort. If time is money it's simply cheaper to replace them and you don't have to worry about warpage due to thinner rotors.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Not true at all, especially for Volvo’s. OEM brakes are fairly soft, hence why they stop so well. Because of this, the rotors tend to wear beyond minimum thickness at some point, ending up with a nasty ridge on the outer lip. Nearly all of the brakes that I sold at the dealer were sets of pads AND rotors, for two reasons. First, like I said, if they WEREN’T already below minimum, they likely would have been before the replacement pads wore down. Second, machining them often isn’t worth the trouble. Once machined, the likelihood of warpage is increased. Not unusual to waste the labor to machine them, only to have them eventually shake anyway. Not saying this was always true, older cars used much better materials. The days of machining brakes have all but gone though, not worth the trouble.

Always hate when dealerships are accused of thievery just because they try to sell something. Not saying some aren’t crooks, but there is sometimes a good reason for what they’re trying to sell.

Joe
      2013 XC60 R-Design Platinum - Ice White
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Willow Green - Wife's, all stock

Quote Originally Posted by Config View Post
      I imagine you just change the polarity if the brakes don't retract the first time you attempt to connect?
      Yes, just turn the battery around. To clarify, it's one of the small 9 volt transistor radio batteries, like in a smoke detector with the two buttons (leads) at the top. You will hear the calipers retract.
      2016 Crystal White 3.0 V60 r-design Platinum with P*, BLIS, technology package, convenience package, climate package, 19” Ixion IIs

I used OEM for 290k miles in my 855T. :O
      They shuddered a bit once warm during the mountain descents so I replaced all four corners with R1 Concepts and ceramic pads.
      I did not own it until it had 239k on it but after proper run-in, I imagine it stops as good if not better than when brand new, now.
      Last edited by RooBah; 10-16-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawyR View Post
      If you want pads and rotors and want an upgrade....Ive got a set from my 2016 Polestar that I will be listing for sale soon.
      Hi, what are you selling exactly? I may be interested, you can answer me in private message
      2012 V60 D5 AWD 230HP Cosmic White
      upgrade Polestar
      Bodykit + accessories Polestar
      Exhaust Polestar Performance Parts
      20" genuine Polestar / 19" genuine Polestar for winter

2010 FOCUS RS MK2 White

Kit Mountune Performance RS500 by Ford UK (Intercooler, airbox, fuel pump, exhaust, ECU remapping)
      Big brakes AP Racing

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements