Is the XC 60 a reliable car?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the XC 60 a reliable car?

Hello,
      I am a newbie here. Iíve owned 9 Volvos over the past 35 years and am shopping for a new car. Iíve had lots of problems with my current XC90, and so for the first time in decades I am considering buying a different make of vehicle. I love the looks of the new XC60ís but have read that their reliability is only average. Considering how expensive they are, that is cause for concern.

Would anyone thatís purchased a new XC60 in recent years be willing to share their experience? Should I take the plunge and buy a 2020 XC60? Or should I jump ship and buy an Acura, Honda Passport, or another make? Iíd welcome any advice offered. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecbrum View Post
      Hello,
      I am a newbie here. Iíve owned 9 Volvos over the past 35 years and am shopping for a new car. Iíve had lots of problems with my current XC90, and so for the first time in decades I am considering buying a different make of vehicle. I love the looks of the new XC60ís but have read that their reliability is only average. Considering how expensive they are, that is cause for concern.

Would anyone thatís purchased a new XC60 in recent years be willing to share their experience? Should I take the plunge and buy a 2020 XC60? Or should I jump ship and buy an Acura, Honda Passport, or another make? Iíd welcome any advice offered. Thanks.
      See this thread from further down the page for T8 stories.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-T8-Reliablity
      2018 T8 R-Design Polestar XC60 Bursting Blue

If you think reliable means no visit whatever to dealer, then it is not very reliable. It is common we bring it to dealer a few times a year for some small issues, like brake squealing, interior rattles, software updates, etc.

But it is reliable to me even I have the more complicated T8. I never worry about it breaking down on my trip. Always feel confident and pleasant to drive.

Fusion ∑ Red ∑ T8 ∑ XC60
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 10-15-2019 at 04:54 AM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have a bad experience with the XC60 MY2108.

A lot of small problems but there are some that are extremely dangerous

My first and last Volvo in my life
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

No issues with any of our 3 Volvos, including our 19 XC60 which we leased last November. It was between that car and the RDX. Forums are filled with issues on those.
      Both are generally good products, so go with the one you prefer. We preferred the ride of the Volvo and have no regrets one year later. Good luck!

Hello,

What year was the XC90 that you owned? Current generation?

I just picked up a 2019 XC60 and came from a '16 XC90 that was bulletproof.

From my experience with Volvo (i had a S80 as well) is that if you start piling on the tech, buying models with ALL the bells and whistles, typically your trips to the dealer increase. The simpler the car, the less headaches from my experience.

Our 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription is about to turn 1yr old next month and I just took it this Saturday for its 10k mile service (they even did the software update at no charge). We've been very happy and haven't had any issues with gremlins with the technologies in the vehicle. We did bring it in for one unscheduled visit to the dealer but that was for the rear hatch struts that were recalled and while it was there they also did the rear brakes because they heard them squeal. Other than that nothing major that has damped our experience with the XC60. I love the massage seats and using Pilot Assist on the highway for long stretches. My 2015 V60 T6 (3.0L) R-Design has also been bulletproof and only going in for normal service intervals since new (roughly 38k miles on it right not).
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

If your Volvo ownership is evenly spaced, then that's a new car every 3.89 years assuming that's a single line of Volvos (as in one traded in for another rather than for a two car household). If that's the case, you should certainly consider leasing unless you're well over 20k miles a year. In more cases than not it would save money and always keep you under warranty. That is great piece of mind, but it doesn't answer your question.

I have been in the industry for over 10 years and with Volvo for just over a year and a half. I would say the number of issues is "normal" but the severity of issues is low. Any risk assessment has to look at both frequency and severity. Nearly all my customers that have come back in have their issue resolved with software. I think I've had two issues with batteries and associated issues of low voltage. I was at Ford for most of my career and there we had the great dual clutches coming in all the time on the small cars, a few traditional transmission issues, software hickups, blown turbos, electric brake boost failure. Again, none of it was common (other than the dual clutch issue), but there did seem to be a greater diversity of what went wrong. I find most consumer review sights do a very poor job in regards to the severity aspect. I would say today's Volvo's aren't as reliable as they once were, but as far as content goes they are so far ahead of the older Volvo's and keeping up and even setting the pace of the market regarding technology. As is the common complaint, it's one more thing to go wrong... a complaint I'm sure sales folks have been hearing since the addition of the electric starter.

Hello,

I had to take my 2019 T5 with around 2000 miles to the dealer to replace a fuel related part due to engine error light.
      With 30 years of Japanese car experience (Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Lexus and Acura), which never had any issues them, I find my experience with Volvo disappointing from that point of view.
      I also have a bone to pick with Volvo on other usability/design issues but not related to reliability.

Front rotors replaced at 3,000 miles, warranty. Rear tailgate struts replaced, recall. Other than that, rock solid. Now have 26,000 miles. Regularly get 30 mpg on highway. Extremely happy with Volvo services as both dealers I have dealt with are awesome!

Hello,

Approaching 2 years and 20k miles. No issues other than a speaker buzz that was fixed by the dealer.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

1 yr today 10,000 service complete, rear struts fixed under recall, no gremlins, no electronics issues, rock-solid, 24 highway, 19 city, is a keeper.

Aside from a few minor annoyances which the dealer quickly remedied with no questions asked , I have had no issues with my 2019 XC60 (knock on wood).

When shopping for this car, we looked at all of the players in this segment. I went on to the various Mercedes, Acura, Audi forums (similar to this one) to see what major issues owners were discovering\complaining about. Every manufacturer had issues with their cars. All had lemons too....

Hope this helps...

For what it's worth, I'd still say it's a reliable car. The issues I had with mine - that's a fluke. Lots of kinks have been worked out after the first year (2018) hit the dealerships.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Hello,

I have had my 2018 for 16 months. Will be turning 30k miles in a few weeks. Absolutely no problems!!!! This is my 7th Volvo & the best one- comfortable, sporty, luxurious, reliable.
      Wish the Sensus system booted up faster but that seems to be a common issue with many other makes of vehicle as well.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

We purchased our 2018 XC60 T6 in 4/18. We have had to take it to the dealer for several issues. None of the issues have been serious, but certainly annoying. Sensus updates, squeaky drivers seat, recalled liftgate struts, broken hood latch. And the dealer is terrible but a new one opened recently so we are going to try them next service. So if you are talking trips to the dealer, this has been less reliable than our previous Volvo's. But we are still happy with it and it has always got us where we were going. If we didn't get this we would have gotten a Q5 but the seats are so much less comfortable, no good at all for 12 hour trips we take a few times a year.

IMHO, here you're only going to get anecdotes, which may provide some fun illustrations but real reliability data is best from established sources for large scale aggregated reliability data weighted against the competition.
      Just did a little googling around, and it seems Volvo as a whole rates pretty poorly from a build quality standpoint.
      I found this site particularly interesting, as you can change the year measured, and so you can at least see Volvo is improving, and see how it's compared with the competition:
      https://www.jdpower.com/cars/2019/vo...6-awd-r-design

Lastly as for the T8, is the extra complexity a down side? Or the fact that you can drive so much of the time without the ICE at all a plus side? TBD, I'd go ask the XC90 T8 folks as they have been around the longest...
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

Thanks. Could you elaborate on the dangerous problems, please?

Thanks. I am looking at the RDX also. And my brother who is a BMW fanatic is trying to convince me to buy an X3. But the comfort of the XC60 will probably win out over performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      I have a bad experience with the XC60 MY2108.

A lot of small problems but there are some that are extremely dangerous

My first and last Volvo in my life
      What type of problems did you encounter?

Thanks. I see your point about keeping the car simple. I would get the Premium Package plus the heated seats and steering wheel. Is it worth it to get the navigation and/or the Harmon Kardon (?) stereo system?

Thank you!

Thanks. What have been the problems with usability/design? Just curious. Iíve noted that the center console is very narrow...
      I have never bought a Japanese car due to family history (grandparents and an aunt and uncle interned in a prisoner of war camp in the Philippines during WWII and an uncle killed by a Japanese sniper) but they know how to build reliable cars.

Thanks. Do you have the premium audio? Hardon Karmin (?)

Thank you! May I ask why you chose Volvo over Audi? Iíve been urged to test drive a Q5....

Thank you! Iím drawn to the aesthetics of the XC60. Not a very practical reason for buying a car but....And the seats are so comfortable. I take a lot of long road trips so thatís important.

I note that you have a Pine Grey with Maroon Brown interior. Thatís a great looking combination. Iíd either choose that or the Denim Blue with the Maroon Brown (which is little odd but I donít want a totally grey interior.)

Thanks! I also take long road trips so the comfortable seats are important for me too. And itís good to know that the Q5ís are not as comfortable as the XC60ís. Guess I can skip that test drive!

Thank you! I appreciate you sharing the link to the reliability data. Iíd hope that the 2020 XC60 would continue that improvement in build qualityóbut you never know...I have a lot to think about.

Thanks. Could you elaborate on the dangerous problems, please?
      Here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ced-perfomance

Thank you! May I ask why you chose Volvo over Audi? Iíve been urged to test drive a Q5....
      I own both models:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...2-0TFSI-S-line
      Last edited by BigBang; 10-16-2019 at 12:00 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

@Rebecbrum, nobody knows who you are replying to. Use the Reply With Quote button.

The center stack/console on the new RDX is horrible. Terrible ergonomics.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

6 months in on our XC60 T6 Inscription. Not one problem. Came from a Mercedes GLC43AMG that was a total piece of crap for two years. Son has a Audi Q5 and wishes he had gotten a Volvo. XC60 is bigger that the Q5 and Mercedes GLC series. Much more comfortable seats, smoother,quieter than both. Avg 26.6mpg over the first 6 months, mixed driving.

Quote Originally Posted by kynseon View Post
      What type of problems did you encounter?
      Lots of little issues that get annoying and shouldn't not exist in this class of car:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...nother-problem
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...after-one-year
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7385589
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...or-Door-Panels
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...over&highlight

As in the answer in my the previous post

Half-screen limited Android auto .....

and that Volvo cars is limited to optional third-party software like it is for Audi / BMW / Mercedes
      engine tuning as for Audi: APR, ABT , MRM and lots of others
      Last edited by BigBang; 10-16-2019 at 01:49 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Good question thanks. My wife purchased a 2020 XC60 T6 via OSD. Not yet arrived. New to Volvo I wonder about reliability. Owned Honda cars since 1981 and all 4 have been trouble free. My wife bought an Acura and got a lemon. My current 2014 CRV is a gem. I hope the same for the xc60. If not, out it goes. I will read replies here.

Nearly 25K miles on my T8 in the 18 months since delivery. Only two small problems, both software related and both fixed with a visit to a dealer for an overnight software update. So from my POV it's a very reliable car.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

If you do long trips and care greatly about seat comfort, Volvo leads the pack followed by Benz and BMW. Seat comfort is frequently one of the few weaknesses in Acura/Honda products, and I’ve heard the same about the Q5.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast