I'm scared, and I don't want to be.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I'm scared, and I don't want to be.

I love everything about the XC90. However, the reliability issues scare me. Set me straight.

I am wanting to buy a CPO 2016. For the same money I can buy a CPO Toyota Hylander Hybrid; a car that, in my mind, is not in the same league as the Volvo. But, geeeeezzeee, I keep reading about brakes pads being shot every 15k miles, crazy software bugs, and..... water leaks! The CPO should have two years of CPO warranty left, but I hope to keep the car longer than two years - most likely five or so.

How scared should I be? I really want to buy the car, but hate the idea of dropping tons of money keeping it operational.

One option I though, to hedge myself, is buy the extended warranty. Could someone give me an idea of how much it costs?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My 2016 CPO (I purchased with 17K miles) went through a couple teething pains in my first three months (replace sunroof tray and headliner due to well known leak issue, replace spark pugs due to recall, replace front struts due to TSM) but all easily repaired under warranty. For next 30k miles, no issues apart from normal maintenance. Did have to replace rear pads at 30k. Fronts still good at 48k.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

I have a 2017 XC90 Inscription and I can tell you that it has been a joy to own. It is quite an impressive vehicle. I had some early issues (i.e., 12V battery and air suspension failure) that have since been resolved, but nothing else.
      2016 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription [Bright Silver/Amber] [Vision/Convenience/Climate/HUD/B&W/Air Suspension/Leather Dash]
      2017 Audi S7 Prestige [Tornado Gray/Black] [Driver Assist/Sport]

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking to buy a used XC90 (although I'm mainly looking at 2017+). But after reading so many reliability stories here, I'm kinda scared to do so. I'm also cross shopping between Mazda CX-9. Definitely a step down in terms of quality and such, but a step up in reliability. I consider both to be leaders in their respective classes.

Don't be scared, everything is going to be OK.

Talk directly to Steingold Volvo about the extended warranty available on a CPO car and its price (they are a forum sponsor).
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

I've got a 2017 with 30,000 miles on it and have been very pleased with the car and have had minimal issues, all of which were resolved under warranty. Furthermore the car has been a joy to drive and I actually look forward to driving it.....not necessarily something I can say about some other vehicles I've owned.
      OSD ordered 2017 XC90 Inscription Luminous Sand with Blonde Leather and Charcoal carpet, 234 wheels, Convenience, Climate with HUD, Vision, B&W Sound, Polestar and air suspension

We bought our first Volvo last year and besides a recurring creaky armrest and replacing warped front rotors under the factory warranty. I don’t think I would believe a XC90 would be as reliable as a Highlander, but I think the additional risk is worth it since reliability would be the only positive item I would come up with the Highlander.

We have always driven vehicles that are often deemed unreliable and never had that many issues. I never considered an extended warranty for any vehicle we’ve owned and hav3 no interest in spending the money on one. If our XC40 becomes problematic before the ten years we normally keep vehicles it will be one and done for us and Volvo. If I have to buy an extended warranty in order to get normal usage out of a vehicle, it’s not a vehicle for us.
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

Quote Originally Posted by tomthecrow View Post
      I am wanting to buy a CPO 2016. For the same money I can buy a CPO Toyota Hylander Hybrid; a car that, in my mind, is not in the same league as the Volvo.
      We owned a Highlander for a few months before dumping it for our XC90. I can honestly say that the Highlander was my least favorite car I've ever owned and was not even reliable in our case. I have my fair share of complaints about the XC90, but just thinking about the Highlander makes me feel silly for stressing about the Volvo. Stay away.

That said, as a 2016 XC90 owner, I'd look for a 2017- if possible, or at least consider the extended warranty a must. Our 2016 is nearing the ending of warranty and I am deciding whether to move on to a new XC90 or another brand. The 2016 just has too many potential 1st year issues and limitations (3g modem). The XC90 was in for service recently and just the speed and response time in the 2018 XC90 loaner's Sensus was like night and day. Also, the 2018 seemed much quieter. My 2016 is almost uncomfortably noisy on the road. I am not completely up to speed on MY changes, but I wonder if the noise insulation was somehow incrementally improved from year to year. The XC90 is a great car, but I'd definitely spend a few extra $ to avoid the 2016MY.
      Last edited by Tibits; 10-17-2019 at 09:20 AM.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

I wouldn't get a MY2016 XC90. Too many first year production run issues and 2017's seem to get better hardware (like 2 usb ports). There seems to be plenty of 2017+ CPO's available.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Also ask for the service history on any vehicle you're looking to buy to see if it's gone back to the dealer for repeat issues. I was in your shoes back in December and decided to only look for a 2017 or newer. I've had the warped rotor issue twice but since the car is under warranty and they're replacing it for free I'll let them keep putting new Volvo brakes on. Once the warranty is up I'll put on my won pads and rotors. Otherwise I have't had any reliability issues.

if you like it - get it, then its your luck really...i bought 2004 highlander for my mom years ago, when it was 3 years old, recently sold it, since she cant drive anymore. never ever i did anything to that car except oil and brakes. i used to have jaguar xk8, that was maintenance nightmare for everyone, mine was wonderful, only leaked roof hydraulics, that i changed, from the previous owner. i used to have mercedes suv, that was reliable for everyone - and a nightmare for me, that ended up with tearing the serpentine belt on a highway, scary thing i can tell you...my 2016 xc90, no problems so far, other than usual oil and brakes wear. i think my fronts are wrapped now, i feel a bit of vibration when braking, on the other hand, i changed rotors on mercedes twice in a year...there are some things i dont really like about xk90, but most are great. btw 2 usb ports - i had that changed from 1 to 2 for free from volvo, thanks to them!

I leased a 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum edition before getting my 2017 XC90 T8. The Toyota was extremely dependable as are most Toyotas. Toyota as a company tends to perfect their technology prior to placing it in service. The XC90 T8 is a more sophisticated vehicle. Having said that the Toyota is down right dependable. The transition from ICE to battery (very small) is smooth like silk. The seats are comfortable and the vehicle was relatively quiet in driving. I ended up somewhere around 28 mpg. The Volvo is definitely a step up in luxury. Think of leather. You can purchase basic leather that feels solid but is not luxurious. Or you can buy leather that has been processed so that it is soft and feels great but is also easily soiled and requires more care. The Volvo requires more care but delivers more luxury. Buy yourself an extended warranty with the car and you should be set.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

you should totally be scared of a '16 XC w/ only 2 years left on the CPO. That's a CP, stay away. I mean hello, broken plugs lead to entire engine replacements? At least go for a '17 that's coming off lease... it's almost 2020, they should be avail at dealerships now.

Just buy CPO extended warranty from Steingold Volvo within 30 days of your purchase. It is priced reasonably and could be extended to 10 years.

If a car is running well and spark plugs have been replaced with new parts, I don't see much to be afraid of.

Of course, you can always look for 2017+ CPO.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Just buy CPO extended warranty from Steingold Volvo within 30 days of your purchase. It is priced reasonably and could be extended to 10 years.

If a car is running well and spark plugs have been replaced with new parts, I don't see much to be afraid of.

Agree 100%
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by tomthecrow View Post
      I love everything about the XC90. However, the reliability issues scare me. Set me straight.

One option I though, to hedge myself, is buy the extended warranty. Could someone give me an idea of how much it costs?
      So .. I just bought a 2016 XC90 one week ago TODAY. So far so good, although there are a few quirks, like the auto stop/start system has never engaged -- but from a thread on this forum, it doesn't work for lots of folks, especially due to the battery not being charged.

When I went in to the finance guy he .. of course .. offered both the extended warranty and maintenance plan. Because it's a CPO, the regular 4 year warranty is bumped to 5, so I had about 18 months left. The 10 year warranty was offered at $2100. HOWEVER .. as soon as I said "is that negotiable?" he said "yeah, there's profit in there. How about $1750?" I was stunned he dropped it so quickly. I mean .. for +5 more years of warranty that was a steal.

As for pre-paid maintenance .. my dealership had a website that would "predict" the cost of maint each year .. roughly, it went $300/700/300/700/300, each year for a total of $2600. The prepaid maintenance was $1532, so that seemed like a solid deal, saving over $1k (2600-1532).

So .. for the next 6 years, I shouldn't have to pay for anything beyond consumables (tires, brakes.) (The CPO came with new tires, brakes, and rotors, so .. those will be good for a good long time.)

One other piece of advice .. open the key fobs. I did a few days later and noticed the "key blades" were missing from inside them. I am optimistic they will mail them to me, but who knows.

Also, I think if I had more time, I would have asked them to install the Android Auto solution for 2016s. I can do it at the dealership some day, but it'd have been nice if it was already done for me.

Quote Originally Posted by duncantuna View Post
      So .. I just bought a 2016 XC90 one week ago TODAY. So far so good, although there are a few quirks, like the auto stop/start system has never engaged -- but from a thread on this forum, it doesn't work for lots of folks, especially due to the battery not being charged.

When I went in to the finance guy he .. of course .. offered both the extended warranty and maintenance plan. Because it's a CPO, the regular 4 year warranty is bumped to 5, so I had about 18 months left. The 10 year warranty was offered at $2100. HOWEVER .. as soon as I said "is that negotiable?" he said "yeah, there's profit in there. How about $1750?" I was stunned he dropped it so quickly. I mean .. for +5 more years of warranty that was a steal.

As for pre-paid maintenance .. my dealership had a website that would "predict" the cost of maint each year .. roughly, it went $300/700/300/700/300, each year for a total of $2600. The prepaid maintenance was $1532, so that seemed like a solid deal, saving over $1k (2600-1532).

So .. for the next 6 years, I shouldn't have to pay for anything beyond consumables (tires, brakes.) (The CPO came with new tires, brakes, and rotors, so .. those will be good for a good long time.)

One other piece of advice .. open the key fobs. I did a few days later and noticed the "key blades" were missing from inside them. I am optimistic they will mail them to me, but who knows.

Also, I think if I had more time, I would have asked them to install the Android Auto solution for 2016s. I can do it at the dealership some day, but it'd have been nice if it was already done for me.
      Sounds like a very good deal and solid for the next years.
      Curious about the engine you went for.
      I imagine a T8 would be out of the question for such a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

We've got a 2016 with 40,000 miles on it. Bought it new (Jul 2016) and have had very few issues. There have been several sensus updates and a couple recall maintenance items performed during regularly scheduled maintenance. The only issue we've had that required a trip to the dealer outside the regular 10,000 mile schedule was when the middle seat lever to fold down the middle row seats stopped working on the passenger side. This was repaired under warranty and turned out to be a faulty latch.

Other than that, it's been an excellent vehicle and we look forward to many more years of service from it.
      1985 Jeep CJ10A Diesel - heavily modded - lightly wheeled
      2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - lightly modded - heavily wheeled
      2016 Volvo XC90 Polestar✦ Momentum+
      2016 Audi S6 Prestige

Forum Sponsor
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post

Thanks for the referral! Just to clarify, the CPO Upgrades can now be purchased at anytime after the sale. Click below to view the upgrade options, and remember to use the promocode “SWEDESPEEDCPO” for the exclusive member discount!

https://vip.steingold.com/shop/vip-c...lvo-upgrades/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just posted about all the issues I have had with my 2016 XC90. I would advise looking at a 2017+. Love the car, but it has been in the shop over 2 months out of the past 5 months. Warranty will be ending in 2 months and I hope to be in a new car before then. Not all 2016s have had the problems I have had, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      My 2016 CPO (I purchased with 17K miles) went through a couple teething pains in my first three months (replace sunroof tray and headliner due to well known leak issue, replace spark pugs due to recall, replace front struts due to TSM) but all easily repaired under warranty. For next 30k miles, no issues apart from normal maintenance. Did have to replace rear pads at 30k. Fronts still good at 48k.
      Can you tell what the front strut issue please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1990 Nissan Skyline
      1998 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2000 Mitsubishi Magna
      1992 80 Series Landcruiser GLX with 4.2ltr Turbo Diesel and 4 speed Auto - unbelievable tourer on and off road
      2002 Toyota Echo - went from Toyota's biggest to smallest!
      2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2004 Mitsubishi Magna Station Wagon
      1991 80 Series Toyota Landcruiser Turbo Diesel 5 speed manual - terrible purchase...
      2006 Mitsubishi Magna
      2004 Nissan Elgrande Starwagon
      2010 Nissan Skyline - an awesome car
      Current:
      2013 Toyota RAV 4 GLX Cruiser
      2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements