SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Strobe/Flashing Brake lights

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  likeXC90 
#1 ·
Just an idea to install strobe/brake lights instead of plain light reflectors rear of XC90 or perhaps third brake light strobe. See photo attached. I've seen plenty of other brand cars with such addon DIY. No sure if possible with Volvo's. I am afraid it would throw error codes if you hardwire it brake lights. I couldn't find anything online for XC90. Other cars yes, but no Volvo's. I know it's some type of relay install that that makes brake light flash several times. Very useful feature in high traffic areas. What do you guys think. Possible?

See less See more
#2 ·
I hope it's not possible. I was following a new Acura MDX with a strobe third brake light in stop and go traffic the other day, and it was incredibly annoying as the strobe engaged every few seconds while driving less than 5 MPH. I could understand the usefulness of a strobe brake light if it only activated under heavy braking or braking at higher speeds, but these systems that flash the strobe for every light tap of the brakes make driving in stop and go traffic that much worse for everyone else. Imagine how annoying it would be if every car had strobe brake lights.

#3 ·
You may be right. It's just we have a lot of bad drivers here in the NW. Heavy traffic in Seattle area. Just wanted to get some extra attention by other drivers that looking at their phones and not the road. I am surprised how many US drivers have no ideal what rear fog lights are and many drive with them on all the time, (thankfully not a lot of cars that hit US market have them though, although it's a very nice feature)Rear fog lights is very hard on the eyes of the driver behind. As for flashing brake lights I mean some LEDs instead of reflectors that are not to hard on the eyes for driver behind as main brake light would be.

#4 ·
Flashing I can see, but I believe it is illegal in the us except for the high mount brake light. Strobe is used for construction/maintenance and emergency vehicles. Many people including myself are sensitive to strobe lights. If I was in stop and go traffic behind a car with strobe brake lights I would be throwing up by the end of the congestion and be in bed with a migraine the next day. Pump your breaks, that will give the same flashing effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Flashing I can see, but I believe it is illegal in the us except for the high mount brake light.
I was using strobe/flashing interchangeably, but you're right - they aren't the same thing. The MDX I saw had a flashing third brake light, but it was still annoying in stop and go traffic. Ambulances with true strobe brake lights are even worse.

#7 ·
I use flashing 3rd brake light on our 07'V70.
When I have time I will be looking into flashing 3rd. brake light on our 2018 V90CC.
Do I think it is annoying to other drivers behind me - yup. If their annoyed it has their attention and that is the purpose of the flashing light. If they don't like it they can pass me.
I don't know what the OP means by strobe. Same as flashing???? Don't know.

#8 ·
I use flashing 3rd brake light on our 07'V70. Do I think it is annoying to other drivers behind me - yup. If their annoyed it has their attention and that is the purpose of the flashing light. If they don't like it they can pass me.
True, but that logic is a slippery slope. When we're all driving trucks because everyone else is and we all have flashing brake lights we'll all be worse off.

#10 ·
Terrible idea, think of the people with epilepsy or light sensitivities. Plus everyone else that will be extremely annoyed by your poor decisions. Cars already turn the warning lights when you brake heavily. You don't need to bother other drivers in stop/go traffic.

#11 ·
And your saying people don't get rear ended in stop and go traffic?:facepalm:
What are the chances of someone with epilepsy or light sensitivities right behind me. :eek:
they have options.
If my poor decision prevents me from getting rear ended by people not paying attention - o well I sleep good at night.

#15 · (Edited)
It could also be counterproductive from a safety perspective. The flashing third brake light on the MDX I was following was annoying enough that after a while I tried to avoid looking directly at the back of the car and watched them with peripheral vision instead which wasn't safer for either of us. And, no, the street did not allow room to pass or pull over - not that either should be required.

When everything is an emergency, nothing is an emergency. So the first time a following car sees you use the brakes this feature will undoubtedly draw attention. But what about the 10th time in heavy traffic or the 100th time? To the OP I would suggest following a car with this feature for a few miles before deciding whether or not it is a good idea. And with everyone seeming to agree that flashing brake lights are annoying to other drivers, I'm not sure why anyone would intentionally want to do that. Drivers have inadvertently triggered road rage with lesser transgressions.

I wouldn't modify brake lights to flash at every press of the pedal regardless of speed or braking effort - and that's coming from someone whose XC90 has already been rear-ended.

#16 ·
Interesting.. Our cars should already have this function.

Page 282 in my manual:

Rear Collision Warning (RCW)

The Rear Collision Warning with braking at standstill (RCW) function can help the driver avoid rear-end collisions. RCW is activated automatically each time the engine is started and cannot be turned off. RCW can warn the driver of a vehicle approaching yours from behind by rapidly flashing your rear turn signals. RCW is only activated when a vehicle is rapidly approaching your vehicle from behind.

#20 ·
Cars without RCW have been adding tail light modulators as they do not have this premium feature. I am seeing people using the modulators more and more often it is a distraction to everyone on the road. Since you have RCW do not need to add any additional lighting.
Let’s say you’re in bumper-to-bumper traffic and every time you press the brake your tail lights starts flashing. Now it’s the traffic starts to free up and again you press the brake but this time harder. However the vehicle behind you has no idea that you are now braking more aggressively and now slams in the back of you.

RCW provides the right amount of braking lighting to let the vehicles behind you know you’re stopping aggressively adding any additional lighting will will lessen RCW conspicuousness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Agree with everyone else saying that these flashing brakes lights are extremely annoying and counterproductive. In fact, next time someone in front of me has this stupid modification, I'm going to put my high beams on for the rest of the drive.

Think about it. It's an easy thing to do, so why aren't the manufacturers doing it? Because it's pointless the way its implemented in the aftermarket. The way Volvo (and Audi, and BMW, and who knows who else) has implemented it makes perfect sense. Only flashing when making a "panic stop". Leave it as it is. Otherwise, you will be just as annoying and hated and these kids with HID bulbs in the stock reflector housings on their Hondas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.