New to me 2018 V60 and navigation - unhappiness
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 96
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      TX & CA
      Posts
      16

      New to me 2018 V60 and navigation - unhappiness

      My husband went "looking" yesterday (I was not along), and he traded in my trusty Ford CMax on a certified used 2018 V60. I'm unhappy to say the least. I'll get used to driving it, EXCEPT it doesn't have decent navigation. My little CMax had FREE GPS-based navigation that spoke to me turn-by-turn, and this one has some dreadful map thing that does nothing, to say the least. I'm not having much luck finding out how to upgrade just the navigation to Sensus Navigation. I do NOT want the whole Sensus Connect thing, which seems to be $20 a month, and I don't want to use my cell phone because I'd have to upgrade my internet plan and pay more per month for that.

      I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who has upgraded just the Sensus Navigation, how much it cost, and any pros and cons.

      Thank you - knitbunnie

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member Okidiver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Tampa...sometimes
      Posts
      986
      Your phone should use data and GPS for navigation, not internet. As for Volvo's navigation system...if you don't like it now, you never will, it has some very irritating features, but some love it, go figure. Other than that, enjoy your Volvo, they are nice cars.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Posts
      28
      Another option is to get a tom Tom or Garmin with traffic data as well as lifetime maps. You'd pay from 60-100 dollars for a unit on sale.

      That would be a good middle option imho and also great for long trips since satellite navigation is more reliable than cell phone gps

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Frosty La Salle MB
      Posts
      45
      Some misconceptions to clear up....

      Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      Your phone should use data and GPS for navigation, not internet.
      Your telephone data IS internet. When OP says she has to upgrade her internet plan, she's talking about her telephone data plan.

      Quote Originally Posted by S60noob View Post
      .... satellite navigation is more reliable than cell phone gps
      Cell phone GPS IS the same satellite navigation as a dedicated GPS unit. The phone has a GPS receiver built in. You can install a GPS monitor app on your phone and it will tell you which GPS satellites the phone can see.

      As long as you have the maps downloaded before you leave home, you don't need any kind of cell phone data plan (or any cell phone coverage at all) to use your cell phone as a navigation unit. You just won't get live traffic.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Posts
      28
      Oh I didn't know that. Regardless, if it's between spending a one time payment of 60-100 for a Garmin with live traffic and lifetime maps vs spending 20 a month extra or whatever the new cell phone data plan is, I'd spring for the Garmin.

      In 3 months you'd amortize the one time outlay.

      Live maps is a really big deal. You need to save time by having gps point out accidents or faster routes after traffic changes.

      At least it is in my neck of the woods where it's one of the biggest metro areas in the US and notorious for slow traffic

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      618
      Quote Originally Posted by S60noob View Post
      .. one time payment of 60-100 for a Garmin with live traffic and lifetime maps vs spending 20 a month extra or whatever the new cell phone data plan is, I'd spring for the Garmin.
      How does the Garmin get live traffic? Is there a SIM card in there or something?

      Edit: Says here that Live traffic is available when paired with the smartphone app. So i guess its using the phone data to update
      https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Ja11t7iwvYnz18
      Last edited by MidnightSnooze; 10-20-2019 at 10:51 PM.
      2015.5 V60 T5e - Various suspension and P* bits

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Posts
      28
      Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSnooze View Post
      How does the Garmin get live traffic? Is there a SIM card in there or something?

      Edit: Says here that Live traffic is available when paired with the smartphone app. So i guess its using the phone data to update
      https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Ja11t7iwvYnz18
      Oh wow never mind. I guess I was wrong! For some reason I thought the Garmin had live traffic by itself.

      I never thought about the issues with lack of data since my phone plan is very affordable and has unlimited data thanks to a family member who works for one of the main phone carriers.

    10. #8
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by knitbunnie View Post
      My husband went "looking" yesterday (I was not along), and he traded in my trusty Ford CMax on a certified used 2018 V60. I'm unhappy to say the least. I'll get used to driving it, EXCEPT it doesn't have decent navigation. My little CMax had FREE GPS-based navigation that spoke to me turn-by-turn, and this one has some dreadful map thing that does nothing, to say the least. I'm not having much luck finding out how to upgrade just the navigation to Sensus Navigation. I do NOT want the whole Sensus Connect thing, which seems to be $20 a month, and I don't want to use my cell phone because I'd have to upgrade my internet plan and pay more per month for that.

      I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who has upgraded just the Sensus Navigation, how much it cost, and any pros and cons.

      Thank you - knitbunnie
      I'd be curious to know more about your car and the options you have. From my understanding, all 2018 V60s with navigation have turn-by-turn directions. You shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee for internet data just to get turn-by-turn navigation. No internet connection is needed for that. You should only need to pay the monthly fee if you want to search using the internet and get real time traffic.

      Also, if you're willing to spend a few bucks upfront (usually less than $50), you can get a Freedom Pop sim and then pay $0 per month to keep your car connected to the internet. It's a very limited amount of data, but plenty for using the internet connected map features.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      FRANCE
      Posts
      112
      GPS navigation is horrible on our Volvo, when you have experienced 3D touch GPS is hard to do without, I use Google Maps on my Iphone
      2012 V60 D5 AWD 230HP Cosmic White
      upgrade Polestar
      Bodykit + accessories Polestar
      Exhaust Polestar Performance Parts
      20" genuine Polestar / 19" genuine Polestar for winter

      2010 FOCUS RS MK2 White

      Kit Mountune Performance RS500 by Ford UK (Intercooler, airbox, fuel pump, exhaust, ECU remapping)
      Big brakes AP Racing

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      FRANCE
      Posts
      112
      I'm surprised you do not have unlimited phone plan in the USA, we only have 4G unlimited phone plans in France for $ 20 per month
      2012 V60 D5 AWD 230HP Cosmic White
      upgrade Polestar
      Bodykit + accessories Polestar
      Exhaust Polestar Performance Parts
      20" genuine Polestar / 19" genuine Polestar for winter

      2010 FOCUS RS MK2 White

      Kit Mountune Performance RS500 by Ford UK (Intercooler, airbox, fuel pump, exhaust, ECU remapping)
      Big brakes AP Racing

    13. #11
      Junior Member chrisz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Cambridge Ontario
      Posts
      154
      In Canada we are getting screwed by the big telcos for mobile phone plans. For $25 CDN all I get is phone and text. Forget data until you get to $75 with Rogers.

    14. #12
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisz View Post
      In Canada we are getting screwed by the big telcos for mobile phone plans. For $25 CDN all I get is phone and text. Forget data until you get to $75 with Rogers.
      but.. but.. free socialized medicine?!? and a handsome (soon-to-be-ex?) prime minister who's not crazy?

    15. #13
      Member msmith's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      Ottawa (Kanata), Canada
      Posts
      1,016
      May be free, but the taxes just keep going up and up. What do you mean "who's not crazy?" Have you seen some of the sh%t he's done?
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

    16. #14
      Member PureDrive07's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      Colonia, NJ
      Posts
      4,603
      Quote Originally Posted by knitbunnie View Post
      My husband went "looking" yesterday (I was not along), and he traded in my trusty Ford CMax on a certified used 2018 V60. I'm unhappy to say the least. I'll get used to driving it, EXCEPT it doesn't have decent navigation. My little CMax had FREE GPS-based navigation that spoke to me turn-by-turn, and this one has some dreadful map thing that does nothing, to say the least. I'm not having much luck finding out how to upgrade just the navigation to Sensus Navigation. I do NOT want the whole Sensus Connect thing, which seems to be $20 a month, and I don't want to use my cell phone because I'd have to upgrade my internet plan and pay more per month for that.

      I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who has upgraded just the Sensus Navigation, how much it cost, and any pros and cons.

      Thank you - knitbunnie
      Call a few local dealers to find out how much to upgrade to full Sensus Navigation System; they are the only ones that can upgrade the vehicle to Sensus Navigation.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      134
      This thread may be helpful in resolving your issue:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ade-Confused!!

      It seems you may have the "internet maps" version of navigation. According to the comments, it sounds like it may be a 4 figure (i.e., $1000+) upgrade to Sensus navigation which, unfortunately, is not a cheap option.

      It originally came as part of the "Navigation & Harmon Kardon Package" on the base Dynamic model, which must be what your husband purchased. The following link is to a 2018 V60 brochure which lists all the standard equipment, packages, and standalone options. I have a 2018 V60 Dynamic with Vision and Nav/HK packages, as well as individual options for heated front seats/steering wheel and AWD.
      https://dealerinspire-brochure.s3.am...s.com/1469.pdf
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

    18. #16
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
      This thread may be helpful in resolving your issue:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ade-Confused!!

      It seems you may have the "internet maps" version of navigation. According to the comments, it sounds like it may be a 4 figure (i.e., $1000+) upgrade to Sensus navigation which, unfortunately, is not a cheap option.

      It originally came as part of the "Navigation & Harmon Kardon Package" on the base Dynamic model, which must be what your husband purchased. The following link is to a 2018 V60 brochure which lists all the standard equipment, packages, and standalone options. I have a 2018 V60 Dynamic with Vision and Nav/HK packages, as well as individual options for heated front seats/steering wheel and AWD.
      https://dealerinspire-brochure.s3.am...s.com/1469.pdf
      That makes sense. This is why I was asking the OP specifically about the options her car has. It sounds like she doesn't have a NAV button, but has a globe button with internet maps. I agree she's pretty much stuck using her phone.

      EDIT: I just read the thread you linked and I guess she does have a NAV button, but no navigation software. Until I read that thread, I didn't realize that was a thing. It's definitely misleading to use the term "navigation" to describe "internet maps." I feel bad for the OPs husband. He's going to be hearing about this one for a while.
      Last edited by meade18; 10-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Quincy, MA
      Posts
      201
      Wondering if VDASH could get this for you? That’d likely be a much less expensive option
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

    20. #18
      Quote Originally Posted by knitbunnie View Post
      My husband went "looking" yesterday (I was not along), and he traded in my trusty Ford CMax on a certified used 2018 V60. I'm unhappy to say the least. I'll get used to driving it, EXCEPT it doesn't have decent navigation. My little CMax had FREE GPS-based navigation that spoke to me turn-by-turn, and this one has some dreadful map thing that does nothing, to say the least. I'm not having much luck finding out how to upgrade just the navigation to Sensus Navigation. I do NOT want the whole Sensus Connect thing, which seems to be $20 a month, and I don't want to use my cell phone because I'd have to upgrade my internet plan and pay more per month for that.

      I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone who has upgraded just the Sensus Navigation, how much it cost, and any pros and cons.

      Thank you - knitbunnie
      1. The GPS maps on the 15.5-18's is "adequate". Often lacking destination on the Right or Left Prompts. Pretty annoying. Only platinum models have speed limits displayed (annoying). I use my Google Maps in conjunction with Volvo GPS to know speed limits and get idea of traffic.

      FYI and I just learned this: Traffic on the Volvo Nav is "complimentary" for 3 years. Then it expires and is $3.99 / month through sirius radio.

      2. 2019+ S60s have a redesigned display and I believe support Android Auto / Car Play. 2015.5-18 uses Volvo's proprietary Sensus System (see above).

      Overall, the guidance is accurate minus the alerts on which side of the rode to look at for your point of arrival. And the lack of speed limits for non platinum models. You'll get use to the system. Give it time.

    21. #19
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      I'd be curious to know more about your car and the options you have. From my understanding, all 2018 V60s with navigation have turn-by-turn directions. You shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee for internet data just to get turn-by-turn navigation. No internet connection is needed for that. You should only need to pay the monthly fee if you want to search using the internet and get real time traffic.

      Also, if you're willing to spend a few bucks upfront (usually less than $50), you can get a Freedom Pop sim and then pay $0 per month to keep your car connected to the internet. It's a very limited amount of data, but plenty for using the internet connected map features.
      OP is referring to data necessary to power Google Maps, Waze, etc on her phone I presume. Guessing OP is on a limited data plan and doesn't want to upgrade.

      15.5-18s require a $3.99 subscription to Sirius Traffic if you wish to receive live traffic updates and navigation that accounts for slowdowns and permits re-routing.

      Volvo's GPS is adequate. Not great (because lacking destination on right or left for a lot of places is ANNOYING). And only giving speedlimits to platinum models is another irksome quirk. I load up google maps on my phone in tandem if taking a long drive.

    22. #20
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      OP is referring to data necessary to power Google Maps, Waze, etc on her phone I presume. Guessing OP is on a limited data plan and doesn't want to upgrade.

      15.5-18s require a $3.99 subscription to Sirius Traffic if you wish to receive live traffic updates and navigation that accounts for slowdowns and permits re-routing.

      Volvo's GPS is adequate. Not great (because lacking destination on right or left for a lot of places is ANNOYING). And only giving speedlimits to platinum models is another irksome quirk. I load up google maps on my phone in tandem if taking a long drive.
      It was clarified in later posts that she likely doesn't have the navigation system that the early Sensus Connect Volvos do. Apparently at some point after 2015.5, Volvo put the "NAV" button on every vehicle even if it didn't have true "Navigation." It gave those vehicles "internet maps" that doesn't include turn by turn directions. The actual navigation system could be added as a software upgrade and it is expensive. Considering how much better our phones are now, it isn't worth adding. But if I were used to using my car's navigation and my spouse replaced it with a new car that didn't have navigation, I'd be upset like the OP is too. She should just get a good phone mount and start using her phone.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      TX & CA
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      Your phone should use data and GPS for navigation, not internet. As for Volvo's navigation system...if you don't like it now, you never will, it has some very irritating features, but some love it, go figure. Other than that, enjoy your Volvo, they are nice cars.
      A few weeks in, I still despise the car. My car doesn't have Navigation. It has some sort of dreadful, silent maps, and I drive a lot in rural areas where there's no internet connection to even use my iPhone. Short of trading in this bathtub on wheels, I'm going to have to resort to a TomTom. Also, I've come to discover that If I try to charge my iPhone with the car and a cord, my phone doesn't speak to me, doesn't speak through the radio, nothing. So, on a long drive (I drive between Texas and California pretty regularly), my phone won't stay charged unless it's plugged in because using google maps sucks the life out of iPhones, and my phone won't stay charged for a 600-800 mile day of driving. Am I doing something wrong that my phone is silent when it's plugged into the car. I feel like I've tried every single possibility of bluetooth on, bluetooth off, all the options on the phone and the stupid car, and there is no voice when my iPhone is plugged into the car. I am so disgusted by this crappy vehicle. I cannot believe I'm considering trading in a car I've had for just a few weeks.

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      TX & CA
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      Call a few local dealers to find out how much to upgrade to full Sensus Navigation System; they are the only ones that can upgrade the vehicle to Sensus Navigation.
      I called.. I asked - over $1,000. Not going to happen. If I loved the car, I'd consider it, but it's a piece of crap car as far as I'm concerned. I had a ****ty little Ford, and even that had a remote-opening cargo hatch and excellent, free navigation, including rerouting if there were traffic jams ahead. It's absolutely unconscionable that this is such a piece of junk car. I'm still furious with my husband.

    25. #23
      Junior Member meade18's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Posts
      489
      Quote Originally Posted by knitbunnie View Post
      A few weeks in, I still despise the car. My car doesn't have Navigation. It has some sort of dreadful, silent maps, and I drive a lot in rural areas where there's no internet connection to even use my iPhone. Short of trading in this bathtub on wheels, I'm going to have to resort to a TomTom. Also, I've come to discover that If I try to charge my iPhone with the car and a cord, my phone doesn't speak to me, doesn't speak through the radio, nothing. So, on a long drive (I drive between Texas and California pretty regularly), my phone won't stay charged unless it's plugged in because using google maps sucks the life out of iPhones, and my phone won't stay charged for a 600-800 mile day of driving. Am I doing something wrong that my phone is silent when it's plugged into the car. I feel like I've tried every single possibility of bluetooth on, bluetooth off, all the options on the phone and the stupid car, and there is no voice when my iPhone is plugged into the car. I am so disgusted by this crappy vehicle. I cannot believe I'm considering trading in a car I've had for just a few weeks.
      When you say this is happening when your phone is plugged in, are you plugged in to the USB port inside the center console? If so, that's the problem. I would get a cigarette lighter charger to charge your phone instead of using the USB port and see if that fixes your issue. If that isn't the issue, then you need to talk to someone familiar with iPhones because I can't tell what is happening.

      Sadly, if you need navigation for frequent long drives and don't have a unlimited data or a good cell signal where you drive, a Garmin or TomTom is your best bet. Forgive your husband. He saw the NAV button on the car and assumed the car had navigation. We all know these cars pretty well and a lot of us would have assumed the same thing. It was an easy mistake to make.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      124
      I get that you're pissed, and rightly so, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a "crappy piece of junk." That tends to imply poor build quality. It is a decent vehicle, it is just a base model that is poorly optioned. The turn by turn navigation is a factory option that many of these cars DO have and it works well enough. Hence why so many people commenting above seem to be completely unaware that these cars even exist without Sensus Navigation.

      Granted, you do have to pay extra for live traffic information, but from what I see in a quick google search the C-Max nav isn't exactly free either...

      "With a subscription to their SYNC service, the navigation system offers turn-by-turn directions." source - https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/c-max/2013/

      Now maybe sync service was included for free for the first few years in your case, i don't know. The irony of this whole situation is you probably have Volvo to thank for a lot of your previous Ford's safety technology, and Ford to blame for your Volvo's high price to value ratio.

      https://www.autonews.com/article/201...aker-for-volvo

      The iPhone thing is an iPhone thing, not necessarily a Volvo thing. It probably has something to do with it trying to establish a data connection or something. You could always just get a 12v power outlet to 5v USB adapter and charge your phone with that. It should prevent your iPhone from attempting to establish a data connection and it would probably do a better job of charging your phone as long as you get one with decent output amps.

      Maybe you should be venting your frustrations at your husband instead of an online community of Volvo owners/enthusiasts who are just here volunteering their time to try and help one another.
      Last edited by budleach; 11-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Posts
      84
      My wife and I have both our names on the vehicle titles, neither of us can trade a car without the others signature........
      It would have solved your problem.....

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Munich, Germany
      Posts
      28
      Simply by a cigarette plug charger and the TomTom App with offline Maps for your phone and you are good to go.

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Quincy, MA
      Posts
      201
      Quote Originally Posted by wertzius View Post
      Simply by a cigarette plug charger and the TomTom App with offline Maps for your phone and you are good to go.
      This. You can even download offline Google maps for your phone too if that is your app of choice.
      2013 XC60 T6
      2015 V60CC T5

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      It's raining - must be near Seattle
      Posts
      607
      A cigarette lighter adapter will charge the phone faster too since the car's USB port follows the computer data standard and is therefore limited to a charge rate of 0.5 amp instead of the 2.4 amp or higher charge rates of newer cigarette lighter chargers.

      The fact that it's a data USB port is also why the iPhone behaves oddly with it; the iPhone sees it as a computer and tries to connect with it like that.

      I use one of these in the cupholder cigarette lighter port for charging: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGT7LSR

      It's small enough that you can still close the cover if nothing is plugged into it.
      Last edited by zenmervolt; 11-06-2019 at 08:29 AM.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

    31. #29
      Junior Member Okidiver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Tampa...sometimes
      Posts
      986
      Things were so much simpler back in the day when folks didn't expect their cars to be options for their phones...
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      TX & CA
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      When you say this is happening when your phone is plugged in, are you plugged in to the USB port inside the center console? If so, that's the problem. I would get a cigarette lighter charger to charge your phone instead of using the USB port and see if that fixes your issue. If that isn't the issue, then you need to talk to someone familiar with iPhones because I can't tell what is happening.

      Sadly, if you need navigation for frequent long drives and don't have a unlimited data or a good cell signal where you drive, a Garmin or TomTom is your best bet. Forgive your husband. He saw the NAV button on the car and assumed the car had navigation. We all know these cars pretty well and a lot of us would have assumed the same thing. It was an easy mistake to make.
      I doubt that he even saw the Nav button. All my 6'4" husband saw was those ridiculous bucket seats. He didn't bother to really try out all the things a woman would look for. The tailgate doesn't go up with a click of the button - very handy for the grocery shopper (me!). The seats - I'm 5'6", and with the seats jacked all the way up, I can barely see the hood of the car. The low-slung car - it's like climbing in and out of a bathtub. Try that wearing a skirt! And the gutless non-navigation - I am not going to be stopping and asking directions at every corner. I want navigation that speaks to me, and if I plug my phone into the USB to charge it up, my phone becomes silent.

      Two weeks in, and despite paying for the extended warranty beyond the Certified Used Warranty, I've told him it's either me or the car. And it's my car. He drives a big Mercedes SUV, If it wasn't so big, I'd tell him to keep this crappy Volvo, and I'll drive the Mercedes.

      Until this thing no longer darkens my doorstep, I've sent for a gizmo for the cigarette lighter. I hope my phone will speak to me with that. I called Volvo OnCall, and also Apple, and no one had a fix. What a ridiculous car!

      Current - 2018 Certified Used V60. I hate this car. I despise this car. My idiot husband traded in my car without so much as showing me this piece of crap. He's going to be in the naughty seat until I'm rid of this horrible thing.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      TX & CA
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      I get that you're pissed, and rightly so, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a "crappy piece of junk." That tends to imply poor build quality. It is a decent vehicle, it is just a base model that is poorly optioned. The turn by turn navigation is a factory option that many of these cars DO have and it works well enough. Hence why so many people commenting above seem to be completely unaware that these cars even exist without Sensus Navigation.

      Granted, you do have to pay extra for live traffic information, but from what I see in a quick google search the C-Max nav isn't exactly free either...

      "With a subscription to their SYNC service, the navigation system offers turn-by-turn directions." source - https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/c-max/2013/

      Now maybe sync service was included for free for the first few years in your case, i don't know. The irony of this whole situation is you probably have Volvo to thank for a lot of your previous Ford's safety technology, and Ford to blame for your Volvo's high price to value ratio.

      https://www.autonews.com/article/201...aker-for-volvo

      The iPhone thing is an iPhone thing, not necessarily a Volvo thing. It probably has something to do with it trying to establish a data connection or something. You could always just get a 12v power outlet to 5v USB adapter and charge your phone with that. It should prevent your iPhone from attempting to establish a data connection and it would probably do a better job of charging your phone as long as you get one with decent output amps.

      Maybe you should be venting your frustrations at your husband instead of an online community of Volvo owners/enthusiasts who are just here volunteering their time to try and help one another.
      My CMax was 7 years old, and I have never paid for any subscription to anything. I pay the bills, so I'd know if I'd have paid for it. I'm handing my idiot husband the checkbook, and he can deal with the payments on this bathtub on wheels.

      And yes, I'm venting here. It's better than hitting him with a frying pan.

      Eldest son (Stanford grad with a PhD in Physics) works in R & D at Apple. Even he is perplexed by the ridiculousness of the whole thing.
      Last edited by knitbunnie; 11-06-2019 at 12:32 PM.

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      TX & CA
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by zn14 View Post
      My wife and I have both our names on the vehicle titles, neither of us can trade a car without the others signature........
      It would have solved your problem.....
      We had a California title - it said "or", not "and". I'm doubly furious because since he did the dirty deed, just his name is on the Volvo's title. On a brighter note, his car, a big Mercedes SUV, is also in both our names with "or" in between. I am so tempted!

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      TX & CA
      Posts
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      Things were so much simpler back in the day when folks didn't expect their cars to be options for their phones...
      They certainly were, but now that we have all this technology, an iPhone should work with a Volvo. It's completely ridiculous that it doesn't. I've contacted both Volvo and Apple. Apple thinks it's ridiculous, and Volvo is clueless.
      Last edited by knitbunnie; 11-06-2019 at 12:49 PM.
      Current - 2018 Certified Used V60. I hate this car. I despise this car. My idiot husband surprised me with it. What a lousy surprise.

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      It's raining - must be near Seattle
      Posts
      607
      Quote Originally Posted by knitbunnie View Post
      Eldest son (Stanford grad with a PhD in Physics) works in R & D at Apple. Even he is perplexed by the ridiculousness of the whole thing.
      I explained the issue earlier.

      The USB port is set up to initiate a data connection to the phone, not a controlling connection. Essentially, the car is set to "see" the phone as a USB storage device instead of recognizing it as an iPhone. This is clearly described in the owner's manual, which describes only controlling an iPod, not an iPhone.

      It's not something that takes a PhD to understand.

      I think that, at this point, you're simply making the car the recipient of your anger with your husband for making a unilateral decision about the car you drive and that your frustrations are such that you would find similar issues with any car that was brought home without your involvement. Very frankly, I think you'd be better served by going to a marriage counseling forum than by continuing to post here.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina, USA
      Posts
      124
      One good thing that has come out of this thread is I have learned that I can update my Sensus Navigation maps with a free download and a thumb drive... so there's that. Thanks for posting the links gobluetwo! I guess I also have knitbunnie to thank for setting this all in motion.

      Knit,

      I think the course of action here is clear, only one vehicle lists you as part owner, so that is obviously the vehicle you should be driving! Take the Benz!

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Help me to (not)buy a 2018 V60 Polestar!
      By Isty in forum Polestar Model Forum (2015+ )
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 08-03-2019, 03:36 AM
    2. Replies: 9
      Last Post: 06-27-2019, 09:08 PM
    3. Alignment issue on 2018 S60, 2018 XC60 and 2015 S60
      By cromeyellow in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 10-02-2017, 12:21 PM
    4. random thoughts: 2018 S90 vs 2018 XC60 vs 2013 S60
      By elefant in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 07-24-2017, 10:41 PM
    5. Replies: 12
      Last Post: 03-27-2014, 09:05 PM