New to me 2018 V60 and navigation - unhappiness - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      This thread is hilarious though I hope it is cathartic for OP.

Please sell your car and get something you like. I can't imagine ever buying a car for my wife as a "surprise", lol. That's a really expensive mistake if it goes wrong.

To your point about seeing over the hood my wife had the same issue with our XC60 and so we test drove pretty much every small-ish SUV to find one that she felt comfortable in and got that for her - a Honda CRV.

Happy wife, happy life.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Being that his Benz lease is about to expire in August it sounds like he's stuck with the V60. I've driven mostly sedans my whole lifetime of 30 years of driving. I've never been a huge fan of our XC90s driving height and position. While I understand some older people have a tough time getting into the cocoon-like driver seat of S60 and V60, I had no idea the passenger seat was not very adjustable. Is your back better in the driver's seat rather than the passenger one ? I could easily see how the XC60 or XC90 front seats are less cocoon-like, but I like the way my body gets hugged in a nest-like position of our S60 (similar seats to a V60). Getting out of the car is not easy so I adjust it as I exit the car, have you tried moving the seat back before you enter the vehicle and then move it forward as you are ready to drive ?

While my wife and I have had only had 2 SUVs during our 22 years of marriage, she has been the primary driver of the SUV which are better kid-mobiles. First was a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 which was not great on long road trips, seats were too soft in my opinion but I rarely drove it for the 5 years we owned it. I only drove it when it snowed and my FWD would struggle in snow. I like our XC90's rugged factor and safety for the kids and the all weather capability. Feels a lot less confident in my S60 FWDer when there's a lot of snow. I still adjust my driving style when we get snow, just drive slower. Having patience and learning to live with sedans and FWD have always been my preferred type of vehicle. A wagon like the V60 is not as appealing to me as the XC70 wagon which also seems to have less cocoon-like seats ?

Have you thought of trading in the V60 for a XC70 wagon or XC60 SUV ? I'm surprised you don't like your V60 wagon but you are right about the sporty nature of the seat. It's a shame the passenger seat of the V60 is not as adjustable as the driver seat. Sorry to hear about your dilemma and hope you and hubby can make it work somehow.

Good luck.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Check out the Waze app. It runs on iOS and Android. It's far superior to any in-car-based navigation and always will be. It's crowd-sourced too so you get information like "police reported ahead." It's also free.

Get a nice phone mount too. I love mine from KUDA.
      Caspian Blue Metallic 2011 S60 T6 AWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      What, exactly, do you want us to do? You don't like the car. We get it. If you're looking for technical information about the car, let us know what you want to know and we'll try to help. If you're looking for validation I'd suggest taking to a therapist instead.

Honestly, at this point I feel bad for your husband and not at all for you because you're coming off as the grand high priestess of Karens right now.
      I wanted to come in here last night and say something to that effect, but I couldn't think of a good way to do it without being an absolute dick.

My sincere hope is that she isn't as cantankerous in real like as she portrays herself to be on this forum. However, I also accept the truth that the online persona is typically a window to a person's true demeanor and general viewpoint.
      Last edited by p.rico; 12-19-2019 at 06:32 PM.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

OP sounds like a delight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 V60CC T5 5 Cyl/Crystal White/Plat/BLIS/Conv/Climate/Tech/Moose magnets

Without getting too Freudian, I would guess there's more going on.

C'mon guys. Let's not make this a personal thing. We're better than that.
      Caspian Blue Metallic 2011 S60 T6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Being that his Benz lease is about to expire in August it sounds like he's stuck with the V60. I've driven mostly sedans my whole lifetime of 30 years of driving. I've never been a huge fan of our XC90s driving height and position. While I understand some older people have a tough time getting into the cocoon-like driver seat of S60 and V60, I had no idea the passenger seat was not very adjustable. Is your back better in the driver's seat rather than the passenger one ? I could easily see how the XC60 or XC90 front seats are less cocoon-like, but I like the way my body gets hugged in a nest-like position of our S60 (similar seats to a V60). Getting out of the car is not easy so I adjust it as I exit the car, have you tried moving the seat back before you enter the vehicle and then move it forward as you are ready to drive ?

While my wife and I have had only had 2 SUVs during our 22 years of marriage, she has been the primary driver of the SUV which are better kid-mobiles. First was a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 which was not great on long road trips, seats were too soft in my opinion but I rarely drove it for the 5 years we owned it. I only drove it when it snowed and my FWD would struggle in snow. I like our XC90's rugged factor and safety for the kids and the all weather capability. Feels a lot less confident in my S60 FWDer when there's a lot of snow. I still adjust my driving style when we get snow, just drive slower. Having patience and learning to live with sedans and FWD have always been my preferred type of vehicle. A wagon like the V60 is not as appealing to me as the XC70 wagon which also seems to have less cocoon-like seats ?

Have you thought of trading in the V60 for a XC70 wagon or XC60 SUV ? I'm surprised you don't like your V60 wagon but you are right about the sporty nature of the seat. It's a shame the passenger seat of the V60 is not as adjustable as the driver seat. Sorry to hear about your dilemma and hope you and hubby can make it work somehow.

Good luck.
      Cars are made one size fit all due to mass production. Of course, OP's husband was inconsiderate of her feelings to trade in a car she liked, for one she does not. That being said, there's not much anyone can do to fix the dilemma.

I wonder if OP tried adjusting the lumbar, angle, etc of the seat to see if there's a happy median. Some vehicle seats and height work better for one subset of people and worse for others. Unfortunately, OP didn't get a chance to feel out the Volvo since her husband bought the car on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      I wanted to come in here last night and say something to that effect, but I couldn't think of a good way to do it without being an absolute dick.

My sincere hope is that she isn't as cantankerous in real like as she portrays herself to be on this forum. However, I also accept the truth that the online persona is typically a window to a person's true demeanor and general viewpoint.
      You don't have to try very hard, it comes naturally....Feel free to utilize those reading skills in my thread to knock your level of arrogance down a peg or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      You don't have to try very hard, it comes naturally....Feel free to utilize those reading skills in my thread to knock your level of arrogance down a peg or two.
      The fact that you came into another thread to attack me about calling you out as unreasonable is the definition of obtuse.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

The fact that you came into another thread to attack me about calling you out as unreasonable is the definition of obtuse.
      I've participated in this thread from the beginning before commenting back to you. With your comments offering NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE to the OP other than criticism and personal attacks....But I guess you felt compelled to make that your one and only post on the thread, WHY? O ya, to be your natural A-Hole Self. That's the literal definition of OBTUSE!

adjective: obtuse

1. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.

Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-20-2019 at 01:48 PM.

The benefit of being a lawyer is that everyone already thinks I'm a dick because of my job so I can just go ahead and run with it. 😄
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by knitbunnie View Post
      I doubt that he even saw the Nav button. All my 6'4" husband saw was those ridiculous bucket seats. He didn't bother to really try out all the things a woman would look for. The tailgate doesn't go up with a click of the button - very handy for the grocery shopper (me!). The seats - I'm 5'6", and with the seats jacked all the way up, I can barely see the hood of the car. The low-slung car - it's like climbing in and out of a bathtub. Try that wearing a skirt! And the gutless non-navigation - I am not going to be stopping and asking directions at every corner. I want navigation that speaks to me, and if I plug my phone into the USB to charge it up, my phone becomes silent.

Two weeks in, and despite paying for the extended warranty beyond the Certified Used Warranty, I've told him it's either me or the car. And it's my car. He drives a big Mercedes SUV, If it wasn't so big, I'd tell him to keep this crappy Volvo, and I'll drive the Mercedes.

Until this thing no longer darkens my doorstep, I've sent for a gizmo for the cigarette lighter. I hope my phone will speak to me with that. I called Volvo OnCall, and also Apple, and no one had a fix. What a ridiculous car!

Current - 2018 Certified Used V60. I hate this car. I despise this car. My idiot husband traded in my car without so much as showing me this piece of crap. He's going to be in the naughty seat until I'm rid of this horrible thing.
      I had a 2017 V60, but I have Android phones. Mine also was silent until I realized that I had to select bluetooth in the infotainment system as the source for audio, then it worked. It's in the area where you select AM/FM/satellite/USB/Bluetooth, etc. Also, in the phone, the Bluetooth profile for the car will have options for media. Mine was turned on. If you turn that off, the audio will play through the phone. With it on, it plays through the cars audio system. I assume iPhones have similar settings in the bluetooth area for the connection to the car. Does your hands free phone work correctly with the car? Mine always worked very well and imported the phone book without problems.

The benefit of being a lawyer is that everyone already thinks I'm a dick because of my job so I can just go ahead and run with it. 😄
      I was in a bar once and a drunk guy was yelling, "A$$holes! A$$holes! All lawyers are a$$holes. Show me a lawyer and I'll show you an a$$hole!"

Another guy got up and confronted him, "Hey buddy, I take offense to that."

The drunk guy said, "Oh yeah? Are you a lawyer?"

The guy responded, "No, I'm an a$$hole."
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

T.V. Lawyers that spend 10s of thousands on flashy ads to entice customers, because word of mouth doesn't do them justice, are assholes. Most lawyers aren't these sleazeballs that'd hop on an ambulance and ride it to the front door just to get a client.

I've never pegged you as one of the above, so don't sell yourself short. I'm sure you're a good lawyer.

Interesting thread... won't comment on it much. But, is the technology really that outdated on the S60/V60?

I'm looking to jump from a 2006 A4, not a lot of technology there, also have a 2012 CTS, which has a few decent options (remote start,
      heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, power trunk), but the head unit is woeful, doesn't read phone contacts, no bluetooth streaming, USB thumb drives with more than 100 or so songs refuses to read them all etc.

Biggest disappointment with the CTS was coming from an older Ford Explorer that the technology, at least the head unit, was a large step back despite being in a vehicle 4 years newer.

I don't need a ton of gadgets, but I'd be lying if I didn't want some in a car several years newer than my A4. Funnily enough, I'm also looking at a Mercedes....Is it really that bad in the Volvo?

First things first I did not mean to call out the OP and embarrass her, my apologies, I was getting too cute. But I do believe Freud had it right when it came to human desires, wants, our unconscious mind (what intrigues me the most) etc. which this falls into. Yes, it was uncalled for so sorry, please forgive me.

The main thing is making this right for the OP. What can we do is a good question. My wife and I share our S60 and we face a similar predicament as I am about 4 inches taller the angle and height is drastically different when I step into the car.

To the OP: BEFORE you even sit in the car:

1. make adjustments to the seat height by lifting it up or lowering it

2. slide it back or slide it front

3.adjust the angle of the backrest/lumbar

My wife sits upright and far back but lowers it to such an extreme it irritates me. Her head barely peaks above the steering column, I think she has a phobia of the windshield if an item flies at her the steering column will protect her...but she does not admit that to me.

I raise the seat with my head almost touching the headliner, move it closer to the steering wheel and recline the back rest pretty substantially. I want good visibility almost staring at the windshield but with a relaxed backrest.

We sit drastically different from each other and we have been making it work in the 5 years we have driven the S60.

Love the lawyer jokes, my brother is one too. He's an a$$hole for sure, but still love the guy.

Take care all.

But it is challenging finding the comfortable position, true.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      First things first I did not mean to call out the OP and embarrass her, my apologies, I was getting too cute. But I do believe Freud had it right when it came to human desires, wants, our unconscious mind (what intrigues me the most) etc. which this falls into. Yes, it was uncalled for so sorry, please forgive me.

The main thing is making this right for the OP. What can we do is a good question. My wife and I share our S60 and we face a similar predicament as I am about 4 inches taller the angle and height is drastically different when I step into the car.

To the OP: BEFORE you even sit in the car:

1. make adjustments to the seat height by lifting it up or lowering it

2. slide it back or slide it front

3.adjust the angle of the backrest/lumbar

My wife sits upright and far back but lowers it to such an extreme it irritates me. Her head barely peaks above the steering column, I think she has a phobia of the windshield if an item flies at her the steering column will protect her...but she does not admit that to me.

I raise the seat with my head almost touching the headliner, move it closer to the steering wheel and recline the back rest pretty substantially. I want good visibility almost staring at the windshield but with a relaxed backrest.

We sit drastically different from each other and we have been making it work in the 5 years we have driven the S60.

Love the lawyer jokes, my brother is one too. He's an a$$hole for sure, but still love the guy.

Take care all.

But it is challenging finding the comfortable position, true.
      As stated before, I think if the OP played with the lumbar, height adjust, angle of seat, there might be an increased level of satisfaction. While not perfect, maybe she can find a comfortable median that makes the car work for her. And if not, then options are to sell the car or trade it in for a different one.

I had a Mazda 6 rental when my car got hit this past year and man were those seats PLUSH. Like sitting on cloud 9. Got back to my Volvo and took a while took a bit to readjust. By no means do I consider my Volvo Seats uncomfortable, but man those Mazda seats put them to shame1

As for lawyers.... There's a reason sharks will never eat one... Professional Courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      As stated before, I think if the OP played with the lumbar, height adjust, angle of seat, there might be an increased level of satisfaction. While not perfect, maybe she can find a comfortable median that makes the car work for her. And if not, then options are to sell the car or trade it in for a different one.

I had a Mazda 6 rental when my car got hit this past year and man were those seats PLUSH. Like sitting on cloud 9. Got back to my Volvo and took a while took a bit to readjust. By no means do I consider my Volvo Seats uncomfortable, but man those Mazda seats put them to shame1

As for lawyers.... There's a reason sharks will never eat one... Professional Courtesy.
      The cockpit like effect of the S60/V60 seat does not agree with everyone. I think the seat is great, so much that it's tough leaving the car, play a few more songs as I'm parked before I open the door and the music stops.

My past cars' seats were lacking in the support department. 2009 Jetta TDI Leatherette versus Swedish Leather, hmmm.

Before that was my 1999 Camry Cofee Tan on Brown velour seats with no seat warmers. Those are the kind of seats owners retrofit with extra cushions and wedges. Just retrofitted my Scion tC with a Wagan seat warmer which plugs in to the cigarette lighter.

Interesting tread

I'm guessing OP's car is a stripper with very few factory options. I owned two P3 S60's, and I find the seats the most comfortable of all cars I have driven. I also have no problems with Nav - find it pretty intuitive and easy to use (apart from voice recognition). Of course both my cars have Sport seats with extensive and plush bolstering and full Sensus Nav with live traffic. I also live in a major metropolis, not a rural area. Finally, I am just 5'9", medium build but prefer the LOWEST sitting position - no problem with visibility at all. Obviously very subjective...
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      Interesting tread

I'm guessing OP's car is a stripper with very few factory options. I owned two P3 S60's, and I find the seats the most comfortable of all cars I have driven. I also have no problems with Nav - find it pretty intuitive and easy to use (apart from voice recognition). Of course both my cars have Sport seats with extensive and plush bolstering and full Sensus Nav with live traffic. I also live in a major metropolis, not a rural area. Finally, I am just 5'9", medium build but prefer the LOWEST sitting position - no problem with visibility at all. Obviously very subjective...
      I'd prefer the Nav of the 2019+ S60s. My one pet peeve of the 15.5 that I own, and it continues to remain so, is the lack of right or left delineations. Too many destinations lack arrive at X on the right or left. My very first Garmin I bought in like 2004 had the ability, so I see this as a major oversight on Volvo's behalf..

That being said, the navigation isn't terrible but it could be better.

Seats are comfy but try a Mazda 6 seats....Hands down far better than my Volvos. Volvos are comfortable, Mazda's are PLUSH.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-22-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Very few understand how cars are made. The original V60 was designed in 2010 and produced in 2011. The IPOD was a thing back then, the maps looked flat and a bit ugly. The car was facelifted in 2014, but the USB/Ipod was not touched, so it stayed the same. Buying a car model from its last year of production has good and bad sides. Your car will have almost all production issues/defects dealt with compared to a car from 2011. But you will get an older technology in it. And this is not only Volvo, but any car maker.

Now, regarding your first world problems that sound like a Sunday rerun of Latino tele-novella, please - this is a Volvo enthusiasts forum, you don't seem to be very enthusiastic about your car. Just sell it, buy a Ford or whatever makes you happy and stop posting how much you hate/dispise/whatever the V60/your husband.
      Get the cheapest price of any CS:GO Skin - https://CSGOWeapons.com

Folks just really need to get over themselves here and stop taking ourselves so seriously. I have no idea why people are getting so offended by the OP. GET OVER IT. Can we just close this thread? It's gotten pointless.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
      Folks just really need to get over themselves here and stop taking ourselves so seriously. I have no idea why people are getting so offended by the OP. GET OVER IT. Can we just close this thread? It's gotten pointless.
      I haven't seen anyone "offended" by the OP. I have, however, seen a lot of people who are confused over just what the OP expects to gain from all the whining they're doing. If OP were asking for help in dealing with their frustrations that would be one thing, but instead they're complaining without asking for solutions or even suggestions. When suggestions have been given in good faith, the response from OP has only been more complaining.

OP's behavior isn't offensive; it's childish and abrasive. It should not be surprising that OP is not exactly getting a warm welcome.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

The V60 was clearly her husband's choice. She articulated pretty clearly he made the decision without her consent. It sounds to me like he bought a V60 with a power adjustable driver's seat but a scaled down passenger seat, a cost-saving measure or just a plain old mistake.

He meant well, probably should have consulted his wife before the purchase and now faces buyer's remorse. To make matters worse she gets into an accident with the car and wishes it had been totaled. More misfortune, sometimes luck cannot be understated.

Sounds to me like she does not like this particular V60 wagon and wished he had gotten a more comfortable wagon or SUV. The V60 wagon is a sporty hot hatch type of ride. It is sporty, quick and youth-appealing. The XC70 wagon has a little more mature appeal, whereas the XC60 SUV tends to have small families as a market.

XC70 is a lot roomier and traditional looking with more familiar Volvo architecture. The V60/S60 styling is sort of a break from that Volvo tradition. I don't mind it as it is an excellent highway cruiser. Smooth, quiet and quick and pretty fuel efficient with excellent safety ratings.

Either wagon is great but it's all personal preference. Newer, sportier and chic versus more business-like, traditional or familiar.

I think this thread has gotten to the “behind ridiculous” point so it needs to go.

Good luck to the OP.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3