Sensus map updates in Catalina on Mac
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Sensus map updates in Catalina on Mac

For those like me who use a Mac as their main computer, the newest OS, "Catalina" or 10.15, only supports 64-bit applications.

The map update app from Volvo hasn't been updated to that standard yet, and I have no idea when it will be. So no way to download the newest maps to a thumb drive.

My solution was this:
      I already had Parallels running on my Mac with a virtual machine running Windows, because of a few old Windows apps I use for other reasons. What I did was before installing the new Mac OS, I created another VM in Parallels with the last Mac OS (10.14) on it. Then I just dragged the Sensus update apps over to the application folder in the VM.

I just tried it out to download the new maps onto a USB drive and it worked just fine, as expected. A bit slower than normal, but very workable.

Here's hoping this little tip helps someone else.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

...or you can use bootcamp and install windows to use all the power of Mac. with virtual machine you have restrictions
      XC60 MY 2018, D5 AWD Inscription, Denim blue, Air suspension, Business pro, Xenium pro, Panorama, Autopilot, park assist pilot, Klima pro, Nappa Leather, Media server with Digital TV, Head up display

AFAIK the bootcamp solution only lets you have two OS installations. By using VMs you can have several. I like being able to switch between the current Mac OS, the older one, and Windows. The current version of Parallels is so good that there are practically no compromises in my experience.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

How about Volvo fix it?
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      How about Volvo fix it?
      In fairness, Catalina came out last week.

For what it's worth - I wouldn't recommend anyone upgrade to it, as there are still a lot of bugs being reported. Apple just pushed out a new dev beta today. Give it a few weeks for people to find the bugs for you and companies (who are going to bother) provide new versions for old 32 bit apps.

To piggyback on skibum's post, if you need a walkthrough on the process, PCMag has a pretty good post:
      https://www.pcmag.com/article/371267...macos-catalina

Apple - It Just Works.

Quote Originally Posted by ssskelton View Post
      In fairness, Catalina came out last week[...]

Apple - It Just Works.
      Or at least it used to, when Steve Jobs was at the helm. He would be appalled at the crap software that Apple has been inflicting on its customers in recent years. The buggy release of Catalina is just the latest example.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

FWIW, I experienced two bugs, both related to Mail, with the initial Catalina upgrade. The supplemental version I installed yesterday fixed both of them. That supplemental release only took about 15 minutes to download and install, so no big deal.

In fairness, Catalina came out last week.
      In fairness, for years, Apple has been telling software developers that support for non 64-bit applications would be removed.

If Volvo finds it difficult, I question their competence in software development.
      If they find it unimportant to upgrade this application, I question their dedication to their customers.

Small things like this contribute towards my decision on what the next car would be..
      2016 XC90 D5 Inscription Twilight Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      For those like me who use a Mac as their main computer, the newest OS, "Catalina" or 10.15, only supports 64-bit applications.

The map update app from Volvo hasn't been updated to that standard yet, and I have no idea when it will be. So no way to download the newest maps to a thumb drive.

My solution was this:
      I already had Parallels running on my Mac with a virtual machine running Windows, because of a few old Windows apps I use for other reasons. What I did was before installing the new Mac OS, I created another VM in Parallels with the last Mac OS (10.14) on it. Then I just dragged the Sensus update apps over to the application folder in the VM.

I just tried it out to download the new maps onto a USB drive and it worked just fine, as expected. A bit slower than normal, but very workable.

Here's hoping this little tip helps someone else.
      If you have a SPA Volvo, why do you need to do this? The updates can occur via downloads from the cloud.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying "don't do it". I'm just trying to learn more by finding out why you are doing it.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 11-19-2019 at 09:01 PM.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      If you have a SPA Volvo, why do you need to do this? The updates can occur via downloads from the cloud.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying "don't do it". I'm just trying to learn more by finding out why you are doing it.
      I’m still waiting for my car to arrive, but as a Mac-only guy, because of this new problem, have already explored what using Parallels or Boot Camp and purchasing a license of Windows would involve on my home machine. I could do it, but frankly I got off of PCs trying to simplify my retired life, after having literally supported them with customers since IBM first introduced the original PC in 1981 (and I purchased my first dual 180kb floppy drive system with a whopping 192KB of ram, with MS-DOS and tape cassette backup.).

Regardless, as you suggest, I read in the XC60 manual that I will be able to download direct which WILL BE GREAT, as I have great WiFi connectivity in my garage because of my former Tesla that stayed connected all the time. I have it on my list to read for a 3rd time, but I’m not clear from the XC60 documentation alone if I am also going to have to keep my car ON so the transfer will take place (like you do with updates via USB, where it just pauses and picks up each time you power off/on your car). It would be a bust having to keep going out to check on my XC60 until the update completes some time (or hours) later so I could turn the car back off.

Like you, inquiring minds would appreciate education on the specifics I can expect performing updates direct from the WWW when my 2020 arrives.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

I just downloaded latest maps by simply connecting my XC60 to my home WIFI, its slow but doable. I did not park it in the garage since I let the engine run for sometime, I parked next to the house in open area.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      I’m still waiting for my car to arrive, but as a Mac-only guy, because of this new problem, have already explored what using Parallels or Boot Camp and purchasing a license of Windows would involve on my home machine. I could do it, but frankly I got off of PCs trying to simplify my retired life, after having literally supported them with customers since IBM first introduced the original PC in 1981 (and I purchased my first dual 180kb floppy drive system with a whopping 192KB of ram, with MS-DOS and tape cassette backup.).

Regardless, as you suggest, I read in the XC60 manual that I will be able to download direct which WILL BE GREAT, as I have great WiFi connectivity in my garage because of my former Tesla that stayed connected all the time. I have it on my list to read for a 3rd time, but I’m not clear from the XC60 documentation alone if I am also going to have to keep my car ON so the transfer will take place (like you do with updates via USB, where it just pauses and picks up each time you power off/on your car). It would be a bust having to keep going out to check on my XC60 until the update completes some time (or hours) later so I could turn the car back off.

Like you, inquiring minds would appreciate education on the specifics I can expect performing updates direct from the WWW when my 2020 arrives.
      Bertl, you get three free months of data for the cars onboard modern and then extra months are now $15. So, you can update while you drive to work.

OK, appreciate the additional info ...just a bit more please.

1) It appears WiFi will work when at home and my 2020 XC60 is "parked", but I assume I must also keep the car in Ignition Mode I (accessory), if not II (headlights on and able to start), or is it only when the engine is actually running? WHICH ONE? (The manual is not specific when WiFi is on or not -- only Bluetooth with Mode I.) I'm still trying to figure out the practicality of keeping the car in the garage or not while a direct download is happening -- WHILE I would have to also remember to go out and turn the car off when the download finally completes.

• If the car has to be "running", and a complete map download "may take over 2 hours" as the website indicates is possible with slower connections (I have 40-50Gb download speed in my garage WiFi, so that's probably not "slow", but IDK yet) -- that's a long time for any car to sit "running" anywhere unattended; Compared to being able to if this Mac issue is resolve by Volvo, just download the file to a USB stick, put it in the car, and let Sensus automatically pause/continue updating when the car is in use. I like options, but concerned the "parked, but running" option may just not be viable long term.
      • I'm spoiled by my former Model S that would use a prioritized list of WiFi locations to establish a data connection first -- aka, I had it use my home WiFi, then look for my iPhone WiFi hotspot if I had it enabled, then automatically drop into LTE mode when there was no WiFi available. ALL downloads could happen with the car on or off using any of those connections -- and always just took place in the background even as the connections changed -- so I didn't have to check or be worried about turning the vehicle off. Actual updates could also happen with the car on or off, once I gave it permission to start updates that effected car systems (not just e.g. the backup static map database it's Nav used when it had no WiFi/LTE connectivity to realtime Google Maps). My guess is current Volvo are only part way there in this sophistication, with more to hopefully come with XC40 Recharge and beyond. It's why I'm being as detailed on this as I am.

2) I appreciate the car comes with the ability for it to have it's own WiFi data connection (and generate it's own hotspot), including a 3mo AT&T trial here in the USA, but I doubt very much I'll even enable it to save the long-term $10+excessive-tax-&-fees/month it will cost me to add the XC60 as another device to my AT&T data sharing plan. I just don't drive the car enough with longer regular commutes or e.g. have kids in the back that want to watch their own movies or whatever, or do any music streaming, to justify the car having it's own direct WiFi connection. Without yet trying it, and just reading as much as I have been able find, it will likely be much cheaper for me to just let the car connect to my WiFi hotspot via my iPhone when I have it inside the cabin, and better yet, to my home WiFi when it's parked in the garage. Paying additional fees to AT&T to workaround Volvo's lack of keeping their application current for Mac users, sort of gets me. We'll see. Maybe tomorrow, Volvo will have fixed their app for some of us.

Thx for everyone's info. It's really helping fill in some gaps with what I've tried to put together reading the owner's manual now twice (embarking on #3 next month before delivery), and a zillion threads around here. I can always wait and figure it out myself when the new ride arrives, but being the planner that I am, well, knowing in advance is SO much better.
      Bert

Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

I do my map updates over my home WiFi also. I have good WiFi signal in my garage.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by goce View Post
      In fairness, for years, Apple has been telling software developers that support for non 64-bit applications would be removed.

If Volvo finds it difficult, I question their competence in software development.
      If they find it unimportant to upgrade this application, I question their dedication to their customers.

Small things like this contribute towards my decision on what the next car would be..

Yes, and everyone should update their applications prior to new Android and iOS releases too, but it's fairly uncommon.

Some large updates won't go "over the air".

Bertl, you get three free months of data for the cars onboard modern and then extra months are now $15. So, you can update while you drive to work.
      3 months? Is that a change? I thought it was substantially longer.

I typically just grab my map updates OTA as I drive around. It finishes the individual update each time the car is turned off. It's not particularly fast, so it won't finish up on a 10 minute drive, but I'm not updating maps for the areas I drive all that often.

Bertl - the AT&T plan can be added as a seperate prepaid option - $15 a month flat (Inc taxes and fees). Either way, you can get the free months which will allow you to download any map updates you need.

You'll want to either use your phone as a hotspot or pay for the AT&T plan - that's how SENSUS gets traffic updates and how the vehicles onboard Spotify app works.

The car does not have to be in accessory mode to download because SENSUS will continue to run for about ten minutes after you exit the car. I have a mesh system with a node in my garage so there is strong WiFi there. That's how I initially updated the maps.

Bertl - the AT&T plan can be added as a seperate prepaid option - $15 a month flat (Inc taxes and fees). Either way, you can get the free months which will allow you to download any map updates you need.

You'll want to either use your phone as a hotspot or pay for the AT&T plan - that's how SENSUS gets traffic updates and how the vehicles onboard Spotify app works.

The car does not have to be in accessory mode to download because SENSUS will continue to run for about ten minutes after you exit the car. I have a mesh system with a node in my garage so there is strong WiFi there. That's how I initially updated the maps.
      TU. I got it, at last!
      Bert

Yes, and everyone should update their applications prior to new Android and iOS releases too, but it's fairly uncommon.

Some large updates won't go "over the air".

3 months? Is that a change? I thought it was substantially longer.

I typically just grab my map updates OTA as I drive around. It finishes the individual update each time the car is turned off. It's not particularly fast, so it won't finish up on a 10 minute drive, but I'm not updating maps for the areas I drive all that often.
      Yes, 3 months. It used to be 6. It has changed. However, the cost of monthly service has also dropped down to $15 flat which is a ridiculously good deal.

I've never had a problem updating anything from the cloud. So the maps and applications updated fine. I don't think it is at all necessary to update from your desktop. So, I'll strongly disagree with you there.

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      TU. I got it, at last!
      I'm in SoCal too, btw (LA).

You're going to love your Volvo. I adore mine.

Yes, 3 months. It used to be 6. It has changed. However, the cost of monthly service has also dropped down to $15 flat which is a ridiculously good deal.

I've never had a problem updating anything from the cloud. So the maps and applications updated fine. I don't think it is at all necessary to update from your desktop. So, I'll strongly disagree with you there.
      Except that for many of us, the entire North American maps need to be updated to get rid of the nagging "updates available" notice which comes is you have even had any other maps open other than your home region. Updating the entire NA over the air would be tedious and use tons of data.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

I was responding specifically to this point by the poster above: "Some large updates won't go "over the air"."

That's incorrect.

The issues you are discussing, I have no comment on because I haven't had that problem myself.

@Walkabout Perhaps you are correct in respect of NA maps but in Europe maps of several countries (like France and Russia) quite often could be updated via desktop only so we still need updated 64-bit app here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanite View Post
      @Walkabout Perhaps you are correct in respect of NA maps but in Europe maps of several countries (like France and Russia) quite often could be updated via desktop only so we still need updated 64-bit app here.
      Makes sense to me!

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements