Volvo Roof Box Question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo Roof Box Question

This is my first post - HI!

Just moved from an '11 XC70 to a '19 XC60. So far, loving it. We take some fairly regular road trips and we're realizing that the loss of interior cargo space is kind of significant (it's fine for a long weekend, but for a week, it's just not going to fit as much as the old wagon did!).

So we're considering a roof cargo box. Volvo makes a very sleek one (part #32207370) that holds around 15 cubic feed and is roughly 32w x 11h x 88L (all inches). I'm guessing that would be sufficient to hold pretty much all our clothes and then the gear, food, and miscellaneous junk would be in the back end. My dealership has the crossbars in stock and could get the box in a couple days. The box costs around $1300 (comparable to a new Thule Vector series - not available for another month).

Does anyone have experience with that particular Volvo roof box on any Volvo model (but especially an XC60)? Any problems? Is it reliable, secure, kind of quiet, etc? I can't seem to find any reviews on line or through a search of this forum.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by biker30x View Post

Just moved from an '11 XC70 to a '19 XC60. So far, loving it. We take some fairly regular road trips and we're realizing that the loss of interior cargo space is kind of significant (it's fine for a long weekend, but for a week, it's just not going to fit as much as the old wagon did!).

So we're considering a roof cargo box. Volvo makes a very sleek one (part #32207370) that holds around 15 cubic feed and is roughly 32w x 11h x 88L (all inches). I'm guessing that would be sufficient to hold pretty much all our clothes and then the gear, food, and miscellaneous junk would be in the back end. My dealership has the crossbars in stock and could get the box in a couple days. The box costs around $1300 (comparable to a new Thule Vector series - not available for another month).

Does anyone have experience with that particular Volvo roof box on any Volvo model (but especially an XC60)? Any problems? Is it reliable, secure, kind of quiet, etc? I can't seem to find any reviews on line or through a search of this forum.

Thanks,
      I have that roof box. It is handy and quiet. I hardly notice when it is mounted, which is bad because forgetting that it is there can be costly.. It seems reliable and only as secure as a sawzall I suppose. My only complaint is that if you aren't careful in how you pack it is difficult if not impossible to lock. I've had to pull everything out and repack a few times.

Weekend trips we just throw backpacks and shopping in it on long weekends. I've taken it camping on weekends and it handles a 5 man tent, three foldable chairs, sleeping bags & pads, as well as windbreaks with room to spare. It leaves room in the back for our Golden and a small cooler. (personally I'd put my two 13 year olds up there instead of the camping equipment.)

It is expensive. But... there really isn't a comparison that I have found outside of the Packline range that is as aesthetically pleasing as the one Volvo offers.

https://packline-roofbox.com/car-brand/volvo/
      Last edited by n a m; 10-18-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: update link
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

I purchased my rack at REI, and for the size it's pretty quiet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

What a coincidence that you just posted this question yesterday, because I ordered the same roof box from my dealer and am picking it up tomorrow. I was quoted the same price, but my dealer is offering a 10% discount. Don't forget to contact Volvo Customer Care and ask for a rebate form. I just did that and they emailed me one.

Follow this link and go to the bottom of the page: https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/homeV3

Thanks "n a m" for your review.
      Current:
      2019 XC90 T6 R-Design

Past:
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription
      2013 XC60 T6 R-Design
      2012 C70 T5 Inscription
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 XC90 T6
      1999 V70R T5

Damn that's pricey! What's wrong with a good ol' Yakima SkyBox at ~$500?

Quote Originally Posted by biker30x View Post

Thanks,
      FYI: Genuine Volvo roof boxes are manufactured by Thule

Here same roof box , but price $940
      https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...-cars-32207370
      or $960
      https://www.genuinevolvoparts.com/oe...-cars-32207370

See also the Thule Motion XT Alpine, it has similar dimensions, has the ability to open on both sides
      Last edited by BigBang; 10-18-2019 at 01:56 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

While being pricey, you cannot beat https://packasport.com. They are much nicer than anything else you can get. Built in Bend, OR, extraordinarily tough. Can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by random1 View Post
      Damn that's pricey! What's wrong with a good ol' Yakima SkyBox at ~$500?
      Absolutely nothing. I purchased this one used on Facebook Marketplace for $300 two years ago. The interwebz are full of like-new roofboxes at stupid low prices. I actually like the Yakima boxes design and style better than Thule. I’m sure the OEM Volvo box is nice too.

2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post

FYI: Genuine Volvo roof boxes are manufactured by Thule

Here same roof box , but price $940
      https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...-cars-32207370
      or $960
      https://www.genuinevolvoparts.com/oe...-cars-32207370

See also the Thule Motion XT Alpine, it has similar dimensions, has the ability to open on both sides
      The Volvo branded box in your link (and the VOR version of it) are manufactured by Autoform/Calix.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      The Volvo branded box in your link (and the VOR version of it) are manufactured by Autoform/Calix.
      Exactly. Calix Nordic Loader : http://calixroofboxes.com/en/product...nordic-loader/

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      That's possible, my friend has a Volvo S40 MY 2015 and his roof box was manufactured by Thule company
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by Torsen View Post
      The problem is that there is a difference of 80l, so it's not the same model. Calix Nordic Loader 430l is bigger than Volvo roof box 350l
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

That's possible, my friend has a Volvo S40 MY 2015 and his roof box was manufactured by Thule company
      Perhaps, but the VOR box I just bought has Calix stamped right in it.

The problem is that there is a difference of 80l, so it's not the same model. Calix Nordic Loader 430l is bigger than Volvo roof box 350l
      The Volvo box(es) appear to be a variant of the Nordic Loader. The bottom half looks identical to the box I have. But, the top half of the Volvo box doesn't arch up the same way as the Nordic Loader, and the Volvo version has slight indents on the exterior and has more interior roof reinforcements. All of that would explain the drop in volume.

I have had the same Volvo box for a couple years now, on an XC90. It's great, no complaints. A few notes:

1. As one poster mentioned, there can be an issue with opening the box. While the internal mechanism can surely get blocked by the stuff inside, this has never happened to me. However, I've sometimes over packed the box, which puts a strain on the mechanism, making it harder to open. With time and experience, this issue can be minimized or worked around.
      2. The box is somewhat heavy, but also has an awkward shape. It's quite difficult to lift over your head. On my first attempt, I nearly dropped it on the car. I bought Volvo's garage ceiling-mount lift / storage system, which is great too. Now mounting / unmounting the box is easy without requiring anyone to assist me.
      3. With the aforementioned lift, the roof box is also easy to clean while off the car.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements