Polestar? Am I missing something?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polestar? Am I missing something?

I want a V60 RD, 6 cylinder. I've driven both the RD, and the P*. For aggressive driving the R works well for me. I have track experience, but those days are gone. Why do I need expensive Brembo brake repairs? Expensive winter wheels with limited choices? The RD seems to make a lot of sense, but there are more P* on the market these days. I may have missed my window of 2015.5's coming off lease. There is a terrific RD sedan locally, but I'm holding out for a V. I like the Rebel Blue, and Nubuck, but not for 10K extra. How many of you are driving at 9/10th's? Am I missing a significant driving experience difference here?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GTWaggin' View Post
      I want a V60 RD, 6 cylinder. I've driven both the RD, and the P*. For aggressive driving the R works well for me. I have track experience, but those days are gone. Why do I need expensive Brembo brake repairs? Expensive winter wheels with limited choices? The RD seems to make a lot of sense, but there are more P* on the market these days. I may have missed my window of 2015.5's coming off lease. There is a terrific RD sedan locally, but I'm holding out for a V. I like the Rebel Blue, and Nubuck, but not for 10K extra. How many of you are driving at 9/10th's? Am I missing a significant driving experience difference here?

The Polestar models have manual adjustable Ohlins suspension. I think it's a great suspension. Expensive too. Also the active stainless steel exhaust which have flaps, that are half open under standard driving mode and fully open under Sport mode. It sounds real good with the 6 cyl. 15-16 model. Also some carbon fiber strut brace and other Polestar unique parts are installed. The big brakes are actually Brembo GT with floating 2 piece design rotors and 6 piston calipers. They will be like $5000 for the parts if you want to add them to R design car. And they work well I think in any Audi RS or Mercedes AMG are similar expensive beefy brakes. The turbo charger I think is also bigger compared to R design. What I'm saying the hardware in the Polestar is top notch and expensive. The wheels you will get anyway if you buy a Polestar so what. I have all season Continental DWS on the 20's no drama here with tires. Can buy OEM 19" Polestar wheels for $400/piece so is not that expensive.

I was skeptical buying a Volvo in general because they didn't make good cars under Ford and before were kind of heavy boats with not so smooth transmissions etc...Anyway I'm an Audi guy who also had bunch of fast Subarus, but got tired modifying cars and wasting time and money so I wanted somewhat practical wagon with decent stock power and extended warranty so I can focus on other things and just drive it. I had a 15' Audi S4 B8.5 with rear Sport differential and the V60 Polestar feels more stable and can get in corners with higher speed so I think the Ohlins suspension is world class if can do it better that Audi's Sport diff, that is dedicated only for S and RS models. I doubt with R design you can keep up with Audi S4 in canyons. I wanted a wagon so I bough a 16 V6 P* for $7K cheaper , than I sold my 15' S4. No regrets. I'm sure R design will have almost as much power , but not sure about the overall handling.

I'm not a pro track driver by any means. I'd say my range of experience in performance is farm tractors up through a few first gen Dodge Vipers, so nothing to extreme. I have only driven the Drive E Polestar and only a few miles. My take away was... it was the best driving sedan I had ever experienced if only it had a manual transmission. If it had a manual I'd say it's worth $10k more all day... without it... meh... it's awesome... but it's still not a manual. If that's not a factor for you then I think it is worth it. I know manuals aren't as quick or fast as today's automatics... but you could make the same argument for artificial insemination, and be equally missing out on the fun.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have owned both.

P*
      Accurate steering
      Stiff springs, but the DVT shocks do a wonderful job of reducing harshness (just the opposite of the R-Design)
      Aggressive brakes
      Exhaust noise - fun for a while, but there is droning when on highway (car is noisy also partly due to the OE Michelins)

R-Design 6 Cylinder
      Better daily driver
      Ability to add a spare that you can use in front and back (std spare will not fit around Brembo calipers)
      Smaller turbo, more responsive at low RPM
      Transmission shifting (first to second) much better. I heard programming on the P* is delayed for 1-2 gear change to protect transmission.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2016 V60 Polestar RB
      Family: 2015 XC60 T6 Platinum, 2014 S60 T6 R-Design, 2011 XC70 T6,
      Past: 2007 V70 R GT (Dearly Missed), 2005 S60 R M66 (Missed), 2001 V70 T5, 1994 855 Turbo, 1991 745 Turbo

I have also owned both. The RD is a great car but is missing brakes, suspension, exhaust, and a few other things which were all addressed by the Polestar. The incremental cost when new to move up from a RD platinum to a Polestar was $7.5k, a pretty good deal for what you get. If those things aren't important to you then get the RD - If the Polestar hadn't come along I'd probably still have it. I agree that the RD would be the better commuter car. I don't put a lot of miles on mine (train station, weekends) so it works for me. If I was commuting 60-70 miles a day I'd probably look for something else.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Thanks to all for the helpful input! Truly good arguments for either version. The smaller turbo and lower rpm pull is interesting. So is the 1-2 shift programming. I wish I liked the 4 cylinder super/turbo better. There are lots of cars on the market now, including a brand new 2017 leftover RD. I have a feeling I would wind up happy with the 4 as my daily driver too. It's just that the 6 puts a smile on my face. I drove the 4 cylinder P* S60 as well. I will say I enjoyed that car a lot! I've owned some nice cars, '77 911, '87 911, '86 535i 5 sp, 88 M5, a couple S6 Avants, and my last car, a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT wagon (hence, my name here). The 4 cylinder R feels like an upgraded version of the Subaru. The Volvo seats are heavenly too. I'm sure I can't go wrong with any of these choices. The V60 was not even on my radar until I drove by a Volvo dealer with a used 2015.5 RD. It had an accident in the history, and I passed on it, but it turned me on to a great sporty wagon option.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      I'm not a pro track driver by any means. I'd say my range of experience in performance is farm tractors up through a few first gen Dodge Vipers, so nothing to extreme. I have only driven the Drive E Polestar and only a few miles. My take away was... it was the best driving sedan I had ever experienced if only it had a manual transmission. If it had a manual I'd say it's worth $10k more all day... without it... meh... it's awesome... but it's still not a manual. If that's not a factor for you then I think it is worth it. I know manuals aren't as quick or fast as today's automatics... but you could make the same argument for artificial insemination, and be equally missing out on the fun.
      Very valid points. I too was hoping for a manual. And I think there was a niche on the market for wagons especially manual wagons after 2008 when Subaru stopped making the turbo outback ХТ, Forester XT Sport manual which was detuned STI version (Only car I regret selling https://imgur.com/a/OlnT2 ), Audi stopped doing manual Avants in 2008 as well. BMW followed . I think it was a great chance for Volvo, that they missed big time to attract much wider audience to the brand with their sporty line if they offered manual transmission option for a model, that was supposed to be an advertisement anyway. And they had a manual prototype built anyway !

But then had Volvo ever built a production model with real good manual transmission ?

I personally like the value of used V60 15-16 Polestar a lot. Low mileage ones go for hight 20's . What other car can you get in that price range ? Especially with such high quality hardware. I don't commute a lot so I stay at low miles and I have 2 young kits. Nobody has complained about comfort in the V60 Polestar. I can totally live with it as daily if don't need to put a lot of miles on it. But I do have manual wagon as well :-)
      Last edited by simbat; 10-19-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by simbat View Post
      But then had Volvo ever built a production model with real good manual transmission ?
      Unfortunately no, but I think you knew that.

Maybe the Jay Leno Polestar had a decent one?

My '04 S60R had the manual and it wasn't great - vague, long throws, etc. There are better manuals out there.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

The manual problem is mostly an EPA problem... I have some hope that once we go EV we might see manuals make a comeback because the cars won't have to get certified separate anymore. That might just be dreaming though.

The manual problem is mostly an EPA problem... I have some hope that once we go EV we might see manuals make a comeback because the cars won't have to get certified separate anymore. That might just be dreaming though.
      Isn't the previous Ford Focus RS based on that platform? AWD, manual 6 speed box.

EPA aside, I just don't think the demand is there for manufacturers to want to go through the hassle of offering both. Fewer and fewer new drivers are learning to drive manual transmission cars. Sure, some models will always be available with manual transmission but I think that will continue to dwindle. I hope I'm wrong.

While I have not driven a P* to compare, I have a '15 S60 T6 RD w/P* on 19" wheels and I don't understand why everyone trash talks the RD suspension. Sure, it's firm, but it's not harsh. I use this as a daily and I think it's the most comfortable car I've ever had. If you have rough roads, most any car with 18"+ wheels will probably seem harsh, but I wouldn't discount a V60 RD based on suspension alone. Good quality tires make a difference, too. Just my $.02!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former) | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R (former)

I also have a 2016 V60 rdesign. I have driven both polestar and rdesign. While the polestar is quicker and you get the fancy bits along with the price tag I just couldn’t afford one at the time. So I bought the V60 rdesign and shopped around for the polestar parts. So far I’ve found the whole brake setup for $1800, full polestar exhaust $1200 and front bumper Winglets for $200. Other than the carbon fiber on the interior I have the same seats minus the blue stitching. I found the polestar suspension to harsh for the roads I drive on also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably the biggest reason folks sell their Polestar's is the firmness, harshness, whatever of the suspension on long commutes or under certain road conditions (concrete highways, expansion joints). I find myself taking a different car sometimes if I know the roads I will be traveling on are not great. Probably another reason why Volvo is only offering the SPA S60/V60 Polestar in the US with 19's only. The extra sidewall does make the ride a little better. My winter set are 19's and I've shopped around a bit for another set of 19's to run during the rest of the year - BBS SR's are on the short list.

I hope I can hold out for a regular old R-Design 6 cylinder. How much is a left over 2017 V60 R-Design, new, worth?? Interesting car, but the 4 cylinder. I've driven the 4, and I could live with one, if the 6's dry up!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      EPA aside, I just don't think the demand is there for manufacturers to want to go through the hassle of offering both. Fewer and fewer new drivers are learning to drive manual transmission cars. Sure, some models will always be available with manual transmission but I think that will continue to dwindle. I hope I'm wrong.
      I don't think you're wrong Wayne. However, with the EPA out of the way, users would be free to legally modify the car themselves. No smog tests to pass and you could get parts shipped from overseas where the market still does exist. It would be illegal currently to convert a US Spec Volvo to manual, even if your not in a area likely to have it checked, as your interfering with the smog equipment. I've never driven an electric manual so I don't even know if I should expect a similar level of fun, but it can't be any worse than auto..... right?

I don't find Polestar's suspension harsh at all. It's subtle to me. I'm on the factory settings and have two young kids. My 2.5 yrs old daughter prefers to ride and sleeps better in the V60 P*, than in my wife's Subaru Forester. Sometimes we go on a ride just to allow her to fall asleep in the car. When we get in the garage she points us towards the P* and don't want to get in the Forester. Also my wife noticed she falls asleep easier and sleeps better there. My 2 cents.

I hope I can hold out for a regular old R-Design 6 cylinder. How much is a left over 2017 V60 R-Design, new, worth?? Interesting car, but the 4 cylinder. I've driven the 4, and I could live with one, if the 6's dry up!
      I don't know what a new left over '17 RD would be worth. I would look at a few sites like NADA or KBB to get an idea.

I only see 1 new 2017 V60 RD in the country, and the price is at $45.7K with an msrp of $53.5. Considering you can get a new 2018 V60 P* for about this price with good rebates, it's a terrible deal.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8272/overview/
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former) | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R (former)

If you have a RD, I would suggest to not pursue the P* mark, but instead build to a more generic high performance standard. As an example, why spend money on a Brembo setup, when many P* owners are swapping out the Brembos for a Rotora Street Challenge kit, that outperforms the Brembos by a wide margin. Same for the engine. Your car and my P* have rhe same exact long block, only the turbo and ECU program are different. Install a kt4 turbo and a Hilton tune and your block will outperform a stock P*. Winglets? The front valance from ERST for the RD looks amazing. Struts, I would never recommend the P* OE Ohlin setup to anyone, the FoMoCo plastic strut bearings are crap, go with a quality coilover instead.
      Same with exhaust, there are many quality choices out there.
      Take care.

I never get it why someone will want to modify a Volvo car. There are plenty platforms out there, that are stronger, lighter with way more aftermarket support. I find the Polestar is a great buy for someone like me who wants just to drive a high performance rare wagon and enjoy the work by the Polestar engineers and loves the OEM factory original parts with long extended warranty available by Volvo either as CPO or VIP . Can't really imagine why changing the Brembo GT's they are awesome. If someone wants to fight gravitation and thinks the Polestar don't stop well on the track maybe should think on buying a proper light track car. Any Volvo is built as a heavy whale to be safe on first place. Or tune a car with a slack auto transmission rated for the 500 NM which the car already borders as stock .... not even talking about how financially pointless is that for the regular car guy. May be the guys who do these mods get some sort of support from the companies developing and selling aftermarket parts ... For me I like it stock factory original. Brembo and Ohlins are good. Warranty is good.

If you are looking to modify at all (I said I wouldn't but it's already begun on my wagon) the P* is the way to go. The R-Design is a wonderful car too but, as was said, probably a better daily driver. After putting the Ferrita downpipe on my car, I'm happy to have the bimodal exhaust. It sounds awesome opened up but the ability to close it for long trips is definitely appreciated.

It really boils down to what you want. And keep in mind that the Polestar repairs could be $$$$ now that they are coming out of warranty (probably one of the reasons why they seem to be flooding the market now).
      2016 V60 Polestar - rebel blue
      2002 Sierra Denali

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      I only see 1 new 2017 V60 RD in the country, and the price is at $45.7K with an msrp of $53.5. Considering you can get a new 2018 V60 P* for about this price with good rebates, it's a terrible deal.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8272/overview/
      I like the typical "This vehicle won't be on the lot long!"

How about three years?

I like the typical "This vehicle won't be on the lot long!"

How about three years?
      Haha, yeah good call!
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Yes, I can't imagine what that NOS (new old stock) RD would actually go for. $35K makes more sense. Maybe a 6 cylinder will magically appear with low miles. I'll buy the 4 cylinder version if push comes to shove. Still a lovely ride, that still can be entertaining.

Speaking as one of the P* owners who has one of the most heavily modified P*'s out there, I think any owner considering mods to their car should consider the points you've raised very carefully. I will add to this conversation my advice is to avoid the common beginners mistake of slapping parts on the car with no real intergrated development path in mind. You'll end up with a balky car and wonder what happened.
      As for why modify this car, sure a 911 would be much easier. For me, I'm a one car guy, and I need the cargo space of a wagon. @lcfpolestar

Yes, I can't imagine what that NOS (new old stock) RD would actually go for. $35K makes more sense. Maybe a 6 cylinder will magically appear with low miles. I'll buy the 4 cylinder version if push comes to shove. Still a lovely ride, that still can be entertaining.
      I have the 4 cylinder, the engine feels overworked in the S60, it never feels at ease outside of high RPMs and the super charger does very little to help it feel like it has a bigger engine, literally all the supercharger does it help avoid lag which is disappointing, they really should have done more with it in the Polestar.
      Coming from a tuned C30 T5 the S60P 4 cylinder feels like it has no torque. Sure its faster of the line but its very hard to have fun in it unless utterly thrashing it...which sucks on the road you cant drive like that without looking like a douche.

Its interesting you talk about subarus, the 4 pot polestar is very much like a more luxurious WRX STI with a very good auto box ( the CVT in the Subarus suck in terms of enjoyment ). I was loaned a 2018 Audi S4 when i was deciding to buy the car. You just cant compare the two, honestly the S4 is a superior street car in almost every area, better torque and pull from low down and rides way better. I chose the Polestar cause I like Volvo and i think it looks better and is good value for money after discounts. Though when you step on the gas you really feel the difference from a C43 Merc, 340i BMW or S4 Audi. My friend has a S60P 6 cylinder and its definitely better in the engine department, but it also has the same punishing ride cause of the ultra low profiles and squeaky brakes and the 6 cylinder has wierd front weight balance issues due to transverse mounting.

Sorry to sound like im crapping on the car, but many people are disappointed by these cars because the truth is they are highly flawed, but if you know what you are getting into then youll enjoy it more for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaT5 View Post
      I have the 4 cylinder, the engine feels overworked in the S60, it never feels at ease outside of high RPMs and the super charger does very little to help it feel like it has a bigger engine, literally all the supercharger does it help avoid lag which is disappointing, they really should have done more with it in the Polestar.
      Coming from a tuned C30 T5 the S60P 4 cylinder feels like it has no torque. Sure its faster of the line but its very hard to have fun in it unless utterly thrashing it...which sucks on the road you cant drive like that without looking like a douche.

Its interesting you talk about subarus, the 4 pot polestar is very much like a more luxurious WRX STI with a very good auto box ( the CVT in the Subarus suck in terms of enjoyment ). I was loaned a 2018 Audi S4 when i was deciding to buy the car. You just cant compare the two, honestly the S4 is a superior street car in almost every area, better torque and pull from low down and rides way better. I chose the Polestar cause I like Volvo and i think it looks better and is good value for money after discounts. Though when you step on the gas you really feel the difference from a C43 Merc, 340i BMW or S4 Audi. My friend has a S60P 6 cylinder and its definitely better in the engine department, but it also has the same punishing ride cause of the ultra low profiles and squeaky brakes and the 6 cylinder has wierd front weight balance issues due to transverse mounting.

Sorry to sound like im crapping on the car, but many people are disappointed by these cars because the truth is they are highly flawed, but if you know what you are getting into then youll enjoy it more for what it is.
      I agree with your sentiment as much as it applies to the 4 cylinder engine. To me, that engine just seems like a stop gap to carry Volvo over until it goes all electric. The six cylinder has the performance that someone would expect from a Polestar and with a few easy modifications, it wakes up much more. The ride is definitely a little more harsh than it needs to be with the Ohlins. I turned mine down as much as I could just to soften things up.

The Audi rides better but I question their long term quality and reliability. Too many times I read of experiences plagued with quirky issues and CELs on those cars.
      2016 V60 Polestar - rebel blue
      2002 Sierra Denali

Speaking from experience owning an E63 AMG wagon (6.2L V8), an S6 Avant (4.2L V8), and a modified B5 S4, I can say that I'm very happy with the inline 4 P*. In fact, I was able to test drive both the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder P* variants back-to-back and other than the sound, the latter was much better on all counts in regards to street driving.

If you do not plan to mod (I don't), IMHO I'd go for the 4 cylinder no question.

If you do plan to mod, there are better platforms to start with but if you only have room for one car, the V60 P* is a very good all-rounder. I would consider a Kia Stinger GT as well. Or a used E63 AMG wagon (5.5L biturbo) or used Panamera Turbo.
      Last edited by mightar; 10-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.
      2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
      2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
      Previous:
      2008 E63 AMG wagon
      2002 Audi S6 Avant
      2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
      1994 Acura Integra RS

If you don't have a time constraint then you can wait around for the right one to become available - they're not that rare.

I just did a quick autotrader search and used RD's are going for the mid-20's to low thirties and used Polestars are going for the high 20's to mid 30's, 17's and 18's a little more, so a fair amount of overlap between the RD's and P*'s.

Thanks guys. Yes, I can wait for a car to come. I want the Platinum package with all the safety crap, for my family. I appreciate Mightar's take on the 4 vs 6 too. Just missed that lease turn in window on the older 15/16's. Decent number of the 4 cylinders out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mightar View Post
      Speaking from experience owning an E63 AMG wagon (6.2L V8), an S6 Avant (4.2L V8), and a modified B5 S4, I can say that I'm very happy with the inline 4 P*.
      Sure youre happy, im also happy with mine, i dont think youll find many people who wouldnt enjoy a 4 cylinder S/V60 Polestar to some degree since its quite competent, the question is, is it better than the competitors running 6 or 8 cylinder engines for not a huge amount more money ?
      Thats the problem, considering you drove those two V8 cars before I doubt youd say that the Polestar feels like it pulls with authority, it just doesnt and its a shame, I dont think Volvo did enough to improve this car, the basically just made a sideways step which is disappointing because most other manufacturers in the class are making big strides with each new model.

Im not saying 4 cylinders are bad, if this engine and gearbox was in say, a Volvo C30 or V40 it would be a screamer, since the buzzy rev happy nature of the engine and the frenetic downshifting into the power band from the 8 speed box is better suited to a smaller more agile car. The S60 and V60 are really more like GTs or muscle cars that have handling upgrades.
      Its just frustrating since fast Volvos have always had charismatic engines, the various T5s and T6 based cars have never really been best in class but they were quite engaging to drive on the street.
      With the 4 pot Volvo went all in on handling because they knew the engine wasnt going to excite, but how many people are really going to use this as a track car ? And even if they did its not perfectly suited to that either since its carrying so much mass from luxury items, is auto only and has pretty mediocre rear brake balance. Its good at a lot of things but not excellent at any one thing which is why people end up choosing the competitors cars.

Probably the biggest reason folks sell their Polestar's is the firmness, harshness, whatever of the suspension on long commutes or under certain road conditions (concrete highways, expansion joints). I find myself taking a different car sometimes if I know the roads I will be traveling on are not great. Probably another reason why Volvo is only offering the SPA S60/V60 Polestar in the US with 19's only. The extra sidewall does make the ride a little better. My winter set are 19's and I've shopped around a bit for another set of 19's to run during the rest of the year - BBS SR's are on the short list.
      Interesting, I personally find the Polestar ride to be surprisingly compliant. With the stock suspension setting on the S60 Polestar, I find it to be compliant while still handling well (better than the 2011 - 2017 S60 R Design) given its weight (and I came from a lighter German performance car).

I did immediately notice the size / weight of the S60 Polestar and initially wondered if I had made a mistake in getting one (had always admired it and its Rebel Blue color when it came out in 2015), but I quickly became accustomed to the increased size / weight and am very happy with my S60 Polestar now.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

Quote Originally Posted by mightar View Post
      Speaking from experience owning an E63 AMG wagon (6.2L V8), an S6 Avant (4.2L V8), and a modified B5 S4, I can say that I'm very happy with the inline 4 P*. In fact, I was able to test drive both the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder P* variants back-to-back and other than the sound, the latter was much better on all counts in regards to street driving.

If you do not plan to mod (I don't), IMHO I'd go for the 4 cylinder no question.

If you do plan to mod, there are better platforms to start with but if you only have room for one car, the V60 P* is a very good all-rounder. I would consider a a Kia Stinger GT as well. Or a used E63 AMG wagon (5.5L biturbo) or used Panamera Turbo.
      Thanks for sharing. I had a long reply typed but it got lost... Hopefully the following captures the essence of what I had drafted:

C&D prefers the 4 cylinder version as well - https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/
      Quotes:
      "Compared with the car’s former Polestar six, the horsepower gain comes at higher rpm (6000), and peak torque decreases to 347 lb-ft at 3100 rpm from 369 at 3000. Volvo claims 60 mph should come up in 4.4 seconds. The carmaker claimed 4.7 for the previous version, but when we tested the 2015 Volvo S60 Polestar, we got to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds. Fuel consumption also is said to improve, although EPA ratings are not yet in."

"Over the road and during a half-dozen laps of Paul Ricard after the WTCC cars practiced on Friday, we found the new drivetrain an improvement to an already appealing car. Polestar reprograms the eight-speed for quicker shifts and to optimize gear selection to match the new power curve, and it mates well with the engine enhancements."

"Overall, the car feels livelier and more eager, with the BorgWarner all-wheel-drive system (formerly known as Haldex V, before BW acquired Haldex’s traction division) reprogrammed to deliver a greater portion of torque to the rear wheels at all times. Aside from a less musical, coarser exhaust note, this new S60 Polestar comes across as an even-better all-around driver’s car without imposing any of the usual penalties of harsh ride or unwanted noise."

Additional comparison info from C&D, before test driving the newer Polestar:
      https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...rcharged-four/
      "For starters, it has more power: 362 horsepower compared to the six’s 345. Torque output is down, however, with the four-cylinder making 347 lb-ft versus the six-cylinder’s 369, but Volvo claims that the new Polestars are quicker than their predecessors. (A 2015 S60 Polestar went from zero to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds in our tests.) With fewer cylinders to feed and a new eight-speed automatic transmission replacing the previous six-speed, Volvo also says fuel economy is improved, although we don’t have any EPA numbers.

Dropping the newer four-cylinder into the S60 sedan and V60 wagon also reduced weight by 44 pounds overall. The Polestars remain all-wheel drive, but the system is tweaked slightly to shift torque to the rear wheels more quickly than before. Other changes include retuned steering, different brake discs, and new 20-inch wheels."

That being said, I think both the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder version are nice cars in their own right.
      2018 S60 Polestar, Rebel Blue / now known as Cyan Racing Blue

I have the 6 cyl. V60 P* and it's my family trips and daily driver transportation . Ride is great in NH roads. Nobody has complained. In opposite it's quieter and smoother compared to our Subaru Forester XT for example. I wanted to sell the car because I'm into older vehicles and spend a lot of time on BAT and got lucky to find a car I wanted for long time, but after seeing low interest I decided to keep both and enjoy because I really can't complain and have yet to find a flaw in the P*. It replaced a 15' Audi S4 6 speed manual with sports diff, before I had a 420 hp 5.6 L V8 Infiniti M56XS, 6 various turbo Subarus etc... . The people who complain about the car must be spending all day testing various new vehicles...And for the high 20's a low mileage V60P sells I don't see anything comparable on the market really. It's a no brainer at that price levels as used car. And for daily I really love the sound and handling of the 6 cyl. V60 P after 2 years I got used how to drive it to enjoy .
      Last edited by simbat; 10-24-2019 at 10:09 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast