Brake pedal stuck and trunk latch
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hey guys, my first post here! I'd really appreciate any help you could offer me. I have a 2016 S60 with two issues.

1. For the last six months or so the brake pedal will get stuck after I press it fully; this happens about 10% of the time. After I remove my foot from the brake pedal the car will be stopped for about 1-1.5 seconds then slowly advance. The engine doesn't restart as the start stop system isn't activated when this happens.

No problems with actual braking but this issue concerns me. The Volvo dealership tried to replicate the issue with a few techs and couldn't find a problem. They said they ruled out any "issues which could put my safety in danger."

What could this be?

I was going to bring it to another dealership; any recommendations?

2. The plastic cover of my trunk latch broke and the dealership took it off and said that the piece if plastic is just cosmetic. Is this true?

I have a few months of original factory warranty left.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me! I couldn't find the answers online; sorry if it's been answered before.
      Last edited by S60noob; 11-02-2019 at 12:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome to the forum.
      This is very strange with the brakes. Does it happen when you floor the brakes?
      You wouldn't be doing that in the normal course of driving would you?
      Could it be the actual pedal and the the rest of the braking system?
      Could it be getting stuck in the carpet?

As for the trunk latch plastic cover it's just cosmetic. Happened to me a long time ago and was covered by warranty.
      If I recall correctly it happened to others too.
      I'd have the replace it under warranty.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

I don't really floor the brakes. It happens if I apply constant, strong pressure to the brakes and it just gets "stuck" in the down position for 1-1.5 seconds. The car will finally move.

If the second dealership says it nothing, what would you recommend? I could bring it to the independent shop also i guess.

Thanks for the plastic cover trunk latch response also! They actually didn't replace it; they just removed it.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Also, the brake pedal is definitely not getting stuck under the carpet. It's weird.

Does it only happen when you are stopped on hills? It might be the hill hold feature kicking in, but I think the engine starts up upon release of the brake pedal while continuing to hold the brakes briefly.
      Current Volvo: 2016 S60 T5 Inscription w/Platinum package
      Previous Volvos: 1993 850 GLT (sold in 2016), 1984 240 DL Diesel (sold in 1993)

No. It happens on flat ground.

Where I live there aren't even many hills.

When you say the brake pedal is getting 'stuck' in the down position, do you mean if you lift your foot off the pedal it doesn't return at all or do you mean that if you lift your foot of the pedal the brakes don't release?

If its the former, there's likely something wrong with your brakes and I'd get it checked out immediately...
      If its the latter (pedal returns but brakes don't release for a second or so) its most likely the brake hold feature.
      https://www.manualslib.com/manual/94....html?page=291
      I've noticed it taking over the brakes for me in situations where the road is almost flat, I'll be stopped at a light and as I take my foot off the brake I'd normally expect the car to creep forward but it doesn't for a second or so and then the brakes release and it creeps.
      If that sounds familiar I'd bet its the hill hold feature that's responsible, it seems to be very sensitive to incline, I'm not sure what sensors its using to determine a 'hill' but maybe there's a sensor calibration issue in your case?
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

Is that Hill Hold feature something that started on the Drive-E cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      Put simply, I don't know... The feature is officially called Hill Start Assist or HSA and has been around for a while (I found a reference on a UK V40 forum in 2012), they may have only introduced it in the US with the Drive-E cars, but you'd have to check the historical manuals to see if it references HSA to be sure.

No. We have it on our '16 V60 non-Drive-E.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; '6? 145 & '7? 245, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post
      When you say the brake pedal is getting 'stuck' in the down position, do you mean if you lift your foot off the pedal it doesn't return at all or do you mean that if you lift your foot of the pedal the brakes don't release?

If its the former, there's likely something wrong with your brakes and I'd get it checked out immediately...
      If its the latter (pedal returns but brakes don't release for a second or so) its most likely the brake hold feature.
      https://www.manualslib.com/manual/94....html?page=291
      I've noticed it taking over the brakes for me in situations where the road is almost flat, I'll be stopped at a light and as I take my foot off the brake I'd normally expect the car to creep forward but it doesn't for a second or so and then the brakes release and it creeps.
      If that sounds familiar I'd bet its the hill hold feature that's responsible, it seems to be very sensitive to incline, I'm not sure what sensors its using to determine a 'hill' but maybe there's a sensor calibration issue in your case?
      I believe the latter. I'll check next time I drive it tomorrow. Suddenly I'm not remembering if the pedal stays down or not after releasing brake pressure.

It's odd that it'd be the hill start assist as this is only happening on flat ground.

At least it's a good sign the first dealership couldn't find the cause, right? They said there were no safety issues with my problem

I have an appt in a few days with a second dealership. Thanks for the response!

If you "can't remember" if your brake pedal is staying on the floor, it is not staying on the floor. That is something that you would remember and hopefully wouldn't drive the car anymore with that issue. Based on your last post, I'm 90% sure you are talking about Hill Start Assist which is a feature in our cars. You do NOT have to be on a hill for it to be engaged.

Just to clarify. When you take your foot off the brake pedal at a red light and your car doesn't immediately start moving, does it start moving when you press the accelerator?
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Just to clarify. When you take your foot off the brake pedal at a red light and your car doesn't immediately start moving, does it start moving when you press the accelerator?
      This sounds like a very annoying "feature" and not really needed with an automatic. With a manual and DSG I can see being beneficial but I've not once needed Hill Start Assist in any automatic that I've driven. Then again, I don't live in Pittsburgh or San Fransisco.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

If you "can't remember" if your brake pedal is staying on the floor, it is not staying on the floor. That is something that you would remember and hopefully wouldn't drive the car anymore with that issue. Based on your last post, I'm 90% sure you are talking about Hill Start Assist which is a feature in our cars. You do NOT have to be on a hill for it to be engaged.

Unfortunately I looked down in my parking spot last night and the pedal was stuck in the down position. It went up slightly and the car proceeded to go forward.

I'll try pressing the accelerator today when the presumptive brake hold assist is working. I usually just let the car start moving slowly and then press the accelerator. The issue doesn't happen all the time, like 10% of the time

It's confusing to me as the dealership already looked into it and said there wasn't any safety issue. I have an appt with another dealership in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by S60noob View Post
      Unfortunately I looked down in my parking spot last night and the pedal was stuck in the down position. It went up slightly and the car proceeded to go forward.

I'll try pressing the accelerator today when the presumptive brake hold assist is working. I usually just let the car start moving slowly and then press the accelerator. The issue doesn't happen all the time, like 10% of the time

It's confusing to me as the dealership already looked into it and said there wasn't any safety issue. I have an appt with another dealership in a few days.
      I don't understand how the dealership could say there is no safety issue with a brake pedal that stays on the floor. Either you aren't describing your problem correctly, or you need to take your car to another shop for a second opinion. Like right away. A brake pedal should ALWAYS return after taking your foot off of it. If it doesn't, there is a very good chance that sometime soon, you will press the brakes and it will go straight to the floor and nothing will happen.

I don't understand how the dealership could say there is no safety issue with a brake pedal that stays on the floor. Either you aren't describing your problem correctly, or you need to take your car to another shop for a second opinion. Like right away. A brake pedal should ALWAYS return after taking your foot off of it. If it doesn't, there is a very good chance that sometime soon, you will press the brakes and it will go straight to the floor and nothing will happen.
      The brake pedal is NOT stuck to the floor but it does occasionally spend 1-2 seconds going from the slightly depressed position to neutral, not pressed position.

The brake pedal is NOT stuck to the floor but it does occasionally spend 1-2 seconds going from the slightly depressed position to neutral, not pressed position.
      OK, this is definitely the Hill Start Assist, I have the same response when mine kicks in. Its a small movement but the HSA does hold the pedal in the brakes applied position before it releases.

OK, this is definitely the Hill Start Assist, I have the same response when mine kicks in. Its a small movement but the HSA does hold the pedal in the brakes applied position before it releases.
      This really happend to your car too? After releasing brake pressure, the brake pedal stays depressed about an inch then slowly goes up to the original, neutral position?

My car is at the second dealership right now. On another website somebody was saying it could be the master cylinder.

I had the brake fluid flushed 4 months ago at a highly rated Volvo independent shop. I don't know if this is a big deal.

This really happend

I'm going to have to check again but what I recall is that when I've had the Hill Start Assist feature activate on a hill, I can release the brake pedal and the pedal will stays depressed a small amount (presumably this is the HSA feature maintaining the brake pressure) and then as the Hill Start Assist is released (on application of gas or after a couple of seconds), the pedal rises the small amount back to the neutral position and the brakes release and the car moves. The movement on the pedal is subtle, I'm not talking about pedal dropping to the floor and staying there.

I'll give it another try when I have a chance and report back.

**EDIT** Can confirm the pedal holds about an inch from neutral while HSA is active.
      Last edited by PostmanPat; 10-29-2019 at 09:55 AM.

S60noob what state are you in?
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      S60noob what state are you in?
      Sorry just saw your post. I don't know how to subscribe for replies yet

I have a video of the issue occurring and the dealership says they can't do any workup until they replicate issue at their dealership.They say the video isn't enough.

I have contacts who are mechanical engineers, mechanics, etc and they think it's a stuck caliper but possible a brake booster or (unlikely) a master cylinder issue. I'll try to figure out how to post a video link anonymously.
      Last edited by S60noob; 11-02-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Have you confirmed that the pedal does this all the time irrespective of the angle of the road?

While its definitely something to look into, I'd imagine that stuck calipers and booster/master cylinder issues would present themselves in slightly different ways and shouldn't be affected by the angle of the road.

If this only happens on flat or uphill slopes I'm still of the opinion that its the HSA system creating this 'issue' based on what you've described and my own experiences with how it operates. You might be spending $$$ on dealership assessments and parts only to find out it doesn't 'fix' anything as nothing is actually broken.

Have you confirmed that the pedal does this all the time irrespective of the angle of the road

While its definitely something to look into, I'd imagine that stuck calipers and booster/master cylinder issues would present themselves in slightly different ways and shouldn't be affected by the angle of the road.

If this only happens on flat or uphill slopes I'm still of the opinion that its the HSA system creating this 'issue' based on what you've described and my own experiences with how it operates. You might be spending $$$ on dealership assessments and parts only to find out it doesn't 'fix' anything as nothing is actually broken.
      Yeah it's all flat road. No changes with road angle

Nothing spent yet as I'm still under warranty. Some time has been spent and that's more of an issue for me
      Last edited by S60noob; 10-31-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Are you using weather tech mats? Sometimes my mats slide forward and get stuck on the steering column
      15 Volvo XC60 R-Design Platinum Pearl White Metallic, POLESTAR EXHAUST TDI Tuning Box, POLESTAR TUNED , IPD Rear Sway Bar and links, IPD POLY TORQUE ROD Koni FSD's, Eibach Loweing Springs, Powerflex Torque Bushing, Bloxsport wheel spacers
      Sold: 2008 Volvo C30 2.0 Java/Cosmic White, Manual, Elevate Tune, Weird OEM Mood Lighting Kit, EST Catback Exhaust, Koni STR.T, H&R Springs, Injen Intake, 19' BBS SR Wheels, Ion Yellow Fogs,
      SoldL 2006 Volvo V70R, Magic Blue, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by odiespankers07 View Post
      Are you using weather tech mats? Sometimes my mats slide forward and get stuck on the steering column
      No I'm not and the floor mats aren't getting stuck. I've escalated to Volvo USA and going to ask for regional zone representative. Thanks.

The dealership said they can't do anything (they won't work up the problem) even with video evidence as they can't replicate the issue when car is in their hands.
      Last edited by S60noob; 11-02-2019 at 12:31 PM.

I contacted Volvo USA and they said that they cannot address my issue unless it is replicated by the dealership.

This seems unreasonable to me as I have video evidence of the issue. And no independent shop will touch my car since it is under warranty.

Some car engineer/mechanic friends thought it could be a sticky brake caliper or a problem with the master cylinder. I'm going to push down on the brake pads while my friend activates brakes to see if I can replicate the issue to rule out a sticky brake caliper.

Any suggestions? I'm disappointed in Volvo right now. And nobody will touch my car to just rule out obvious issues. I don't have the expertise to work this up by myself and I'm busy working. I could theoretically just sell the car at a massive discount and forget about all this. But it might just be the hill start assist even though this isn't happening on obvious hills, just a slight incline.

I'm wondering if the dealership you bought the car from can do a reload of the software. Since just about everything in our cars is controlled by software, I would imagine that the hill assist is also controlled via software. Maybe a reload will reset things. No real costs to the dealer, other than bay time to plug it in, and it could potentially solve the issue.

Might be worth a try.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

Quote Originally Posted by msmith View Post
      I'm wondering if the dealership you bought the car from can do a reload of the software. Since just about everything in our cars is controlled by software, I would imagine that the hill assist is also controlled via software. Maybe a reload will reset things. No real costs to the dealer, other than bay time to plug it in, and it could potentially solve the issue.

Might be worth a try.
      They refused to do anything. They said to call Volvo USA who told me to contact dealership. Dealership doesn't return calls nor emails

They refused to do anything. They said to call Volvo USA who told me to contact dealership. Dealership doesn't return calls nor emails
      Did they tell you: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

But seriously, this dealership is worthless. They should call Volvo USA and sort it out.

Did they tell you: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

But seriously, this dealership is worthless. They should call Volvo USA and sort it out.
      I did call Volvo USA.

"I contacted Volvo USA and they said that they cannot address my issue unless it is replicated by the dealership."

This is incomprehensible to me as I have video evidence of the issue. And independent shops won't look at my car since it's still under warranty.
      Last edited by S60noob; 11-06-2019 at 11:43 PM.

independent shops won't look at my car FOR FREE.
      Fixed it for you

This is incomprehensible to me as I have video evidence of the issue.
      Post the video
      Last edited by meade18; 11-06-2019 at 11:51 PM.

independent shops won't look at my car FOR FREE.
      Fixed it for you

This is incomprehensible to me as I have video evidence of the issue.
      Post the video
      Incorrect. I offered to pay for a diagnosis. They refused.

Incorre

Incorrect. I offered to pay for a diagnosis. They refused.
      Why did they say they would not look at your car in exchange for money? "Because it is under warranty," is not a real reason. There's some part of the story you are leaving out.

I took a couple of quick videos to show what the brake pedal in my car does when the HSA is active on a hill and when its inactive on a flat road...

HSA Active - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy3amxBRg1U

HSA Inactive - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Opcf99j5U

OP PM'd me the video he made of the brake pedal (hopefully he will post it to the forum) and it looks like it does the same thing as the HSA on my car, it seems to me like this is an issue with the HSA being activated when the car isn't on a hill. If so this isn't a safety issue although I'm not sure why the dealership couldn't figure out what it was from his video and inform OP about the HSA system.

Why did they say they would not look at your car in exchange for money? "Because it is under warranty," is not a real reason. There's some part of the story you are leaving out.
      odd to me also......independents don't care about your warranty, if you want work done, they'll do it...

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements