BK's XC90 Thread - DadWagon Express
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

BK's XC90 Thread - DadWagon Express

Starting a thread because I'm starting to lose track of all the little things I've done on this beautiful beast.

This is my second Volvo; I had a 2005 V50 wagon for a very short time before it blew its guts out. Here is the thread:

Volvo V50

I've loved the XC90 since I first saw it as a kid. Been a dream car for me. Started reading about them, knew I had to have the V8 after having two underpowered cars in the past: an off-road Nissan Xterra and a base model Subaru Impreza (5 speed). Had been tossing around the idea of trading in my beloved Subaru for something a little bigger and a little sleeker. Found this XC90 V8 in Chicago with 65K on it and made the drive from Michigan to make the trade. Haven't regretted it for a second. Since then, here is a quick list of what I've done:

• OEM hitch added (scrap yard find), OEM trailer harness added (30756529)
      • Rhino Rack aero bars
      • WeatherTech mats
      • Replaced fuse for navigation system that rendered it useless
      • Rear middle bench seat delete
      • Liftgate supports replaced
      • Tail lamps replaced (new LED style - 31335506 / 31335507)
      • Battery replaced
      • Splash guards added (eBay OEM)
      • Subframe bushings
      • Exhaust repair - flex pipe
      • OEM wheels (scrap yard find - refinished, repainted, Blizzaks for winter setup)
      • K&N air filter, fuel filter, OEM spark plugs at 71K miles (332328 / 30636704 / 30731383)
      • Map / GPS system update to 2015
      • Trailer module installed, stabilizer bar braces replaced (30664974)
      • O2 sensor replaced (Bosch 15179)

Just got in my spark plugs and OEM trailer harness, and got my first oil change. I don't have any crazy plans; juggling the idea of debadging or dipping them a dark gray. Just keeping up on maintenance for now, and enjoying the DadWagon.
      Last edited by BKXC90; 02-18-2020 at 06:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

looks practically new! After this winter I'm seriously considering getting splash guards from all the muddy splashes we have around here but we're just getting ready for summer down here now, welcome!
      2011 XC90 B8444S R-Design 614 120k km RHD

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiV8 View Post
      looks practically new! After this winter I'm seriously considering getting splash guards from all the muddy splashes we have around here but we're just getting ready for summer down here now, welcome!
      Thanks! I do like the OEM splash guards but they could stand to protect a bit more. I used to have Rally Armor on my Subaru so I am considering a set of those for more coverage.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Just adding some pictures - scrap yard wheels refinished, the Prancing Moose, the rear bench seat removal, and flex pipe repair.

Last edited by BKXC90; 10-24-2019 at 09:56 PM.

I need to do that flex pipe repair on mine, do you know what size flex sections were used?

Quote Originally Posted by jcdillin View Post
      I need to do that flex pipe repair on mine, do you know what size flex sections were used?
      Sorry, I do not. That repair was done by our local Euro shop. I can ask and see if they know.

Friday was a productive day - OE spark plugs, Wix fuel filter, K&N air filter, and the OE trailer tow harness. I need to read more about the harness in regards to the trailer module itself. The instructions dirdcted me to take off the rear panel above the wheel well to access the trailer module, but I didn't have enough time to find out if my car came with it or not. Guessing no, but I do not want to purchase it if it's either already there or if it's not needed. I doubt I will ever pull a trailer with brakes using the XC. I plugged in the harness to the fuse panel and the fuses were already correctly populated, but I am still getting just an aux signal from the 7 pin. Need to grab the schematic and keep digging. I was happy to find that the spark plugs were just as challenging as I expected - not too easy and enough to keep it interesting.
      Last edited by BKXC90; 10-27-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Finally got my winter setup installed. These are OEM wheels from a 1st gen found at a scrap yard ($100), DIY refinished and painted ($40), with iPD center caps ($50) and 235/60R18 Blizzaks ($800). Really excited for winter.

Looking into tightening up the suspension and steering; tie rods, stabilizer bars, etc. Other than that, we had winter for a brief, cold week.

Quote Originally Posted by BKXC90 View Post
      Looking into tightening up the suspension and steering; tie rods, stabilizer bars, etc. Other than that, we had winter for a brief, cold week. [IMG]
      If you want an excellent suspension and steering set-up, check out Chitown-V's upgrade guide.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ermarket-parts
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      If you want an excellent suspension and steering set-up, check out Chitown-V's upgrade guide.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ermarket-parts
      That looks intense! Thank you for that. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those never-ending projects that I'll never be happy with until everything is new. Wish me luck.

Other than that, working on a loose rear seatback issue. Might have some time to dig into that this weekend as well.

Nothing too exciting, just debadged the lower liftgate panel (tail gate?) and enjoying the hell out of this car.
      Last edited by BKXC90; 01-22-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Inherited a little brother! Got the OEM trailer stuff set up on the XC90 and pulled this wagon over 500 miles home. Just have to figure out this P0131 code for an oxygen sensor that popped on the way home.

Got the P0131 code resolved! Bank 1, sensor 1. Part ordered and replaced the O2 sensor near the radiator. Engine light is gone, idle is back to normal.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements