Who do you use for insurance? A Geico Horror Story From Hell
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Angry Who do you use for insurance? A Geico Horror Story From Hell

Long story short, we had a massive hail/thunder storm and my windshield was cracked. I butt heads with the adjuster who tried claiming the crack was there prior to the storm. Geico refused supplementation, and when I threatened to take it to arbitration (which I am in the process of doing), the Geico supervisor told me that if the arbitrator finds it wasn't hail damage, they could refer me to the state for prosecution of insurance fraud, which carries a fine of $2,000 or something (cue laughter).

This is after 3 different repair shops agreed that hail could have caused the crack and even if it wasn't hail, adjusters should know all sorts of things blow around in these storms and can crack a windshield. Both adjusters and the supervisor are on record telling me they don't know what cracked my windshield, that something in the storm technically "could have" cracked it, and that they have no evidence the crack existed prior to the storm.

Needless to say I will be switching insurance companies soon. I had bundled with home insurance and the contractor told me Geico/Homesite is notorious for being difficult to work with. I was told Liberty Mutual is usually pretty solid on paying out claims. IIRC, Country Financial was the other company he mentioned that was really good.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sorry for your troubles. I had pretty good experience with AAA so far. Lowest of all with 2 cars, 2 drivers plus home insurance. No issue with 5k claim for snow sliding accident and the rate went up only by a little. AAA drive gives good additional discounts if you want and you don't need it activated all the time.

Sent from my Aura Glow Note 10+ using Tapatalk
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + May 2019 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

Quote Originally Posted by psilocybe View Post
      Long story short, we had a massive hail/thunder storm and my windshield was cracked. I butt heads with the adjuster who tried claiming the crack was there prior to the storm. Geico refused supplementation, and when I threatened to take it to arbitration (which I am in the process of doing), the Geico supervisor told me that if the arbitrator finds it wasn't hail damage, they could refer me to the state for prosecution of insurance fraud, which carries a fine of $2,000 or something (cue laughter).

This is after 3 different repair shops agreed that hail could have caused the crack and even if it wasn't hail, adjusters should know all sorts of things blow around in these storms and can crack a windshield. Both adjusters and the supervisor are on record telling me they don't know what cracked my windshield, that something in the storm technically "could have" cracked it, and that they have no evidence the crack existed prior to the storm.

Needless to say I will be switching insurance companies soon. I had bundled with home insurance and the contractor told me Geico/Homesite is notorious for being difficult to work with. I was told Liberty Mutual is usually pretty solid on paying out claims. IIRC, Country Financial was the other company he mentioned that was really good.
      We switched from GEICO to Progressive this year.

Had one car totaled one month after we switched. Other car blew through a stop sign and t-boned our Tesla

Two months after new Tesla replaced totaled Tesla, other car drives into car with just under 4k miles.

Progressive has been very good throughout the process. Got our deductible recovered for the totaled accident. Was very acommodating in both instances.

Had Liberty Mutual prior to GEICO and their rate algorithm changed such that we were looking at a 50% rate increase. Their rates are still much higher than we have for Progressive.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2006 XC70 willow green (SOLD)
      2013 Tesla Model S (TOTALED 5/2019 )
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription Magic Metallic Blue (1st OSD)
      2019 Tesla Model S 100D - Deep Blue Metallic

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

USAA for the Volvo and the truck. Progressive for the RV.

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

Previously had Plymouth Rock and was extremely happy with their service through a major accident and repair.

Have since switched to Hanover due to a significant cost savings. We shall see...
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

I've been a customer of State Farm for just about 30 years and I've never thought of changing providers. They have always been there for me when I needed them.

Aaa all the way
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Brown Leather, Advanced Package, Charcoal Headliner, 20" OEM Wheels, Wife's ride
      Jeep WK2 owner x 3 (2011, 2014, 2016) Great vehicles, underrated IMO
      Dodge Durango 2016 Family hauler
      First car 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 5 spd RWD, acquired at 130K

Quote Originally Posted by Irishjoe45 View Post
      I've been a customer of State Farm for just about 30 years and I've never thought of changing providers. They have always been there for me when I needed them.
      Same here. We have the house and cars under the same umbrella. Even as a veteran I was really trying for USAA but they couldn't match our bundle and rates.
      '17 XC90 | '95 E36 M3 Turner Motorsport Chipped | '14 Infiniti QX70 | '94 Supra 6 speed single Turbo | '94 Supra TT Auto | '16 Civic EX-T Hondata Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by Irishjoe45 View Post
      I saved a TON and got a lot more coverage by switching to Erie from State Farm. Might be time to shop around.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

USAA. Good rates, good service. Totaled two cars last year. One in a T-bone accident and the other where the brand new replacement for that car hit a deer. The adjusters were very good to deal with and were more than fair.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvo’s: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

If you have comprehensive coverage (which I assume you do if you have coverage for hail), then the windshield is covered. The question regarding whether or not it occurred in the hail storm or not centers on whether the can use two or one deductible payments. While I understand the principle, if you have a low deductible, it might not be worth the fight - especially if you are going to switch.based upon what you have said, I seriously doubt that the local district attorney is going to want to prosecute you for insurance fraud over a windshield deductible and I doubt that Geico would even invest in the time or sit in court over it. One of the things you can do is go to a nearby car dealership and see if they had hail damage and if so, whether there was any glass damage. It is possible that Geico is looking at the size of the hail and concluding that it was too small to damage the glass.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvo’s: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70, 98 V70 (twins to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Esurance for me! Much cheaper quotes than competitors (at least in my case), although never have dealt with the claims department for anything ever, so do not precisely know how the service is.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Another Plymouth Rock customer here, and no problems with them, but more importantly, I'm glad to live in a "free glass" state! No claims, no BS, no hassles. Just ring up the insurance if there's ever an issue, they let you use whichever replacement company (within reason), glass replaced, and done.

New Jersey Manufacturer’s Insurance Company. They are non-profit and return a portion of your premium as a dividend at the end of the year. Great claims service.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

We have USAA for our 5 vehicles and Progressive for the RV.

Home insurance is USAA, but I've never put a claim on it.

I know USAA isn't the cheapest, but the service over the last 28 years has been worth the premium. I just opened a claim on the RV with Progressive last week. While the progressive service isn't bad, it isn't as good as USAA. Like Volvo or BMW versus Toyota or Nissan service, small differences.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension

Used to be with aaa for 10 years, for the last 10 we've been with Wawanesa, used to have fantastic service but things have been iffy since they expanded aggressively. can't beat the rates though.

Never had to file a claim (knock on wood) but over the last 20 years I’ve switched between Esurance, Geico, Progressive & State Farm several times. For whatever reason (not tickets or accidents) they each end up raising my rate at the 2 year mark at which point I get quotes and jump ship to the lowest quote. Right now I’m with Geico for the 3rd time having jumped from my 3rd stint with State Farm.

My wife & I have been using Geico car insurance since 1993, and there have been no problems with getting claims paid. Her car was damaged by a falling tree back around 2012, I hit a deer back in 2005, and she was involved in a sideswipe incident last year. All of the claims were submitted and paid in a timely manner.

Sorry to hear about your interactions, I’ve had Geico for over 10 years and even after a totaled car (single vehicle, my fault) they have been consistently great to work with for us.

We do carry better than bare minimum coverage, including comprehensive, so when a windshield needs replacement, I’m out a $50 deductible. My wife’s CRV has been through 3-4 windows and I finally had to replace it on my S60.

Where ever you go, I do recommend evaluating your coverage to make sure you’re covered against this, and know that you can choose your company. Example, if I do a claim through Geico and have them arrange the repair, they’ll set up an appointment with Safelite. You can if you want (by law I believe), go to a dealer or private window company and as long as that company will do insurance work, you can choose them. I say this because I believe Safelite uses aftermarket glass which is possibly more breakage prone versus higher quality OEM glass (99.9% subjective observation).

I was told about this by a local window shop when I inquired due to wanting to make sure my OEM rain sensor worked after a window replacement.

Again, sorry to hear you’ve had a horrible experience, if I dealt with this I would also shop around, I’m not super loyal to a company if they burn me.
      The daily, 2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1.
      The cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

I had GEICO for over 25 years. No totals, but several smaller claims and never had the slightest push-back from GEICO. They just paid in full, and went after the other person for my deductible. No complaints until they kept jacking the rates up and up and up! This year, I switched to Allstate and saved OVER 50% on my premiums! I'm just hoping they don't pull a "Progressive" on me and jack the rates the second year. If they do, they'll lose me forever. I won't tolerate slimy business practices, like I've witnessed with Progressive and State Farm.

Junior Member WyomingVolvoLover's Avatar
      I would recommended Progressive or Farmers. I have Progressive currently with my XC60 and have had zero issues with them on glass coverage or other items (the lowest when it comes to cost as well). Farmer's was awesome in way of fighting on our behalf when my ex and I got T-boned by a Denver PD Officer in Downtown denver. They took Denver PD to court and got them to settle and took care of repairs during the process with little issue or headache to us! Liberty has always quoted me two or three times higher rates then anywhere else.

2017 Xc60 T6 AWD Dynamic|Crystal White|Off Leather|Climate/Convenience Package|BLIS|A/B Bi-Xenon|Panoramic Sunroof|19" Lesath Wheels| Upgrades pending
      (sold)2012 S60 T6 AWD R-Design|Black/Black leather|Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages|BLIS|Sunroof|A/B Bi-Xenon|IPD S-Plate|Polestar Upgrade w/Pstar Spoiler|19" Fastco FC04 Wheels
      (sold)2009 C30 T5 R-Design FWD - Brembo GT Slotted Big Brake Kit, Elevate Volvo C30 T5 Performance Air Intake. Ice white, R-Design trim.

i know Geico has some questions or statements they make their employees say. When I hit a starter motor on the expressway at 2am they asked me if I was drinking and driving. When I said I was offended by the question they told me corporate makes them ask.

I suspect you’re running into something similar where corporate requires them to basically threaten you. As an aside there is almost no chance they would actually try to prove fraud mostly because it’s impossible. For whatever reason they are going to the mat with you on what is ultimately a pretty trivial expense.

They once replaced a windshield for me just because I said it was pitted. It was but I’m sure they could have refused it as normal wear and tear.

If it were me I’d go to arbitration. Those proceedings are usually quick and painless. The only way you would have a problem is if they somehow can actually prove the windshield was broken prior to the storm.

I had GEICO a long, long time ago (40 years) and when they balked on my using a BMW certified shop to repair a brand new 1979 BMW 320 that had been rear ended, I dropped them. I asked the repair shop who he liked to work with and his response was American Family or Farmers. I went with AMFAM, and have been with them since then.
      OSD ordered 2017 XC90 Inscription Luminous Sand with Blonde Leather and Charcoal carpet, 234 wheels, Convenience, Climate with HUD, Vision, B&W Sound, Polestar and air suspension

If you are eligible for USAA, they are hands down the best. Give them a call.

GEICO (It's an acronym for Government Employees Insurance COmpany) was always literally 2d rate in comparison.

Do you by chance have a dash cam, or a recent photo of the car, or something taken through the windshield which would show no crack?

When was the last time the car was inspected, and did the inspection NOT reveal a not a crack, i.e., you passed?

Ask your neighbors and local car dealers if they had damage, and you might cruise by an independent body shop, or one of those painless dent repair joints and ask them for an estimate to repair the hail damage to your hood and roof...... You will get a thorough inspection, and possibly documentation of OTHER damage to support your claim.

Nonetheless, if you have other than basic liability as required by law, you are probably covered, whether it was a hailstone, a rock thrown up on the interstate, or a random act of vandalism. Borrow a friends cell phone who is NOT a GEICO victim (so they won't get your caller ID), call and ask them for a quote matching what you have, on your car. Ask the agent directly if hail damage, stone damage would be covered.....

As far as GEICO threatening you with an insurance fraud charge, IMHO, that's worth a discussion with your lawyer (it's a threat, right?), and potentially a report to the state insurance commission if you have one, or the AG......

You are PAYING them for coverage, not a raft of Scheisse and threats.

WB
      -Red

...the Geico supervisor told me that if the arbitrator finds it wasn't hail damage, they could refer me to the state for prosecution of insurance fraud, which carries a fine of $2,000 or something (cue laughter).
      That's what's called a "Bad Faith" tactic. He's threatening you. The arbitrator will hear that and immediately pay your claim to avoid action, if he has a brain in his head.
      2004 S60R Black Sapphire Metallic/Gobi
      2009 Volkswagen Routan
      2012 Fiat 500 Lounge

I currently have Farmers for car + home + vacation rental property. I'm a single, 26 year old man driving a 2012 Volvo XC60 for Rideshare and pay less than $100/mo for full coverage and rideshare extension. In all honesty, State Farm was about $16 cheaper per month, but the savings was erased by higher home premiums so I'm still with Farmers. I had Allstate for 3 years. I was happy overall but they don't offer extensions for rideshare use and they were a bit pricey on the car; but the homeowner's was literally half of everyone else. Despite staying completely claim and ticket free, the rates kept going up and up and up until I turned 25 and Farmers offered me a quote.

As far as claims go, I've made 2 claims against Geico. A lockout when I had them because I was 19 and they were vastly cheaper (until they kept "adjusting" the rates higher and higher) and in 2016, when a Geico insured 17 year old T-boned me at an intersection. Both times, they were prompt and easy to deal with, paying the claims with no fuss at all. I did get a chip repaired in my windshield since I've had Farmers, and the company rep that did the repair commented "I love it when people have Farmers. They're the easiest company to deal with by a mile. They don't want pictures or inspections or anything! Geico is the absolute WORST in that regard."

I suspect I'll keep Farmers a while longer.

LIberty Mutual Offers a Volvo Owner Discount

As a FYI, Liberty Mutual offers a Volvo discount. To my knowledge, they are the only company that does so. We have all 3 of our Volvos insured with them now.

Quote Originally Posted by deptdc View Post
      As a FYI, Liberty Mutual offers a Volvo discount. To my knowledge, they are the only company that does so. We have all 3 of our Volvos insured with them now.
      Is it covering CA now !!!
      Last I heard CA wasn’t included in this discount.

Progressive for car, motorcycle, home, umbrella. USAA was more than double for the car alone. I use and strongly suggest using an independent agent that writes for many companies. They will assist andfight for you if needed. The agents that write only one company, work for that company. Not you. When a problem occurs, the bottom line is, the company they write for is feeding them.

Sometimes you don't even get to choose your company. I was just rear ended by a GEICO driver - really upset about that. I'm going to find out how much of a pain it is to go through subrogation rather than directly with GEICO - have started the claims process with my policy. Hopefully I come out unscathed. Insurance in the US is such crap-shoot.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

No problem with geico. Had a $10k claim which they paid no fuss last year. I thought car was in park but it wasn’t and hit side of house. House was fine but a couple of panels had to be replaced on driver front side. Premiums didn’t increase.

I switched from Progressive to Liberty Mutual. I haven't had a claim with Liberty and I did a few good easy claims with Progressive, but Progressive didn't offer a local agent and Liberty offered me a lower quote and an agent. I actually kept my commercial insurance with progressive, and still saved money even giving up the "bundle" discount overall.

USAA is you qualify is nice because you currently get a Volvo new car discount program too.

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements