Any fix for squeaking brakes?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Any fix for squeaking brakes?

I had my front brakes replaced (rotors and pads) shortly after purchase as the rotors were “warped.” I’ve seen many threads on here discussing the squeaking, so I apologize for adding another one. After I got new brakes I have bedded them twice, and they still squeak at low speeds when coming to a stop. Sounds like I’m driving around in a sh!tbox and drives me nuts. Is there any solution to this besides going aftermarket? I didn’t notice this on loaner Volvo’s I’ve driven recently, though they were not XC90s. Thanks for any insight.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You could always take it back to the dealer. Personally, I would go there first have it looked at, and if not resolved I would pull the pads and apply some copper grease to the back side where the caliper rests. I would go aftermarket as a last resort.
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

I had the same squeaking brake problem with my 2019 XC90. At 6000 miles, I took it into the dealer. They changed pads/rotors under warranty. A week after I got the car back, the squeaking noise came back so I went back to the dealer. They now have had my car for 10 days while they try to figure out the problem with Volvo USA. I took videos of my car making the sound and they have sent them to Volvo. Dealer put me in an Escalade loaner so I don't really mind how long they need to keep my car.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My 2019 XC90 T8 has been serviced for the brakes squeaking twice. Just had the 10K service done and they are squeaking again when I back up.. I just have not had them come pick it up.

So I was driving the car a couple days ago and decided for the hell of it to put it in dynamic mode. I noticed that the brake squeal almost completely went away. So I decided to set the individual drive mode to dynamic braking (air suspension too stiff and throttle response too artificial in dynamic mode for my taste) and sure enough 99% brake squeak is gone. WTF?! Any thoughts or experiences with this? Brake pedal feel overall feels better too, less squishy and more responsive. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
      So I was driving the car a couple days ago and decided for the hell of it to put it in dynamic mode. I noticed that the brake squeal almost completely went away. So I decided to set the individual drive mode to dynamic braking (air suspension too stiff and throttle response too artificial in dynamic mode for my taste) and sure enough 99% brake squeak is gone. WTF?! Any thoughts or experiences with this? Brake pedal feel overall feels better too, less squishy and more responsive. Weird.
      Yeah, you drove the car like it was supposed to be driven.

I'm convinced that 99% of the "brake squeal" issues would disappear if people would properly bed their brakes. It involved repeatedly braking HARD and then allowing them to cool down. For those who don't want to bother just try to "drive it like you stole it" for a week and stop pampering it.

Procedures
      https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...In-Your-Brakes
      https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

For what it is worth. I changed my rotors to cross drilled and slotted and replaced the pads with aftermarket. I never experienced any squeal before. I now get it, but only when backing up. Never when going forward. I suspect that I need to apply some adhesive to the back of the outboard shoe in the fronts. When I replaced the pads originally the outer shoe was glued tightly to the caliper. I will give that a shot and advise as to whether or not that improves the squeal. I would agree that bedding the brakes is an effective way to insure good braking.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+ gone
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gone
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars) gone
      2011 Nissan Leaf gone
      2005 and 2006 Prius both gone
      2001 NSX Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Coilovers, Big Brakes gone after 14 years but not forgotten
      1999 Lexus GS400 Exhaust, Intake, ECU Chipped gone
      1991 NSX Exhaust gone after 5 years
      65 other cars owned and gone Infinity Q45a modified, Q45, XJ6, 2Jeeps, 12+VWs, Austin Healy, 3MGB, Datsun Fairlady 2000, 240Z, 280Z, 7 Corvettes, countless company cars Buicks, Fords, Chevys.
      1953 Ford Flathead, My first car. My second car was a white four door Rambler stick shift. The only redeeming quality was that the front seats folded down completely
      When I had a real job many years ago I worked in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, Western Europe, Singapore, the US and of Course Mexico. Seen a lot.....

Yeah, you drove the car like it was supposed to be driven.

I'm convinced that 99% of the "brake squeal" issues would disappear if people would properly bed their brakes. It involved repeatedly braking HARD and then allowing them to cool down. For those who don't want to bother just try to "drive it like you stole it" for a week and stop pampering it.

Procedures
      https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...In-Your-Brakes
      https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php[/QUOTE]

So I apologize if I wasn’t clear, but when I put it in dynamic mode I didn’t start to “drive it like I stole it.” I was just driving through the city, stopping at many red lights, and the squeal mostly just instantly disappeared. Could have also been a coincidence I guess...

Here is the trick I used to solve my low speed squeal problem:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...The-Problemrst
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      Great idea!
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      Sounds easy enough to do I may try it. Will I need to take the wheels off to get the inside of the rotors you think? How did you apply it? Thanks for the tip btw, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
      Sounds easy enough to do I may try it. Will I need to take the wheels off to get the inside of the rotors you think? How did you apply it? Thanks for the tip btw, much appreciated
      Depends on what kind of wheels you have. I made a swab stick by wrapping a blue shop shop towel on the end of my wheel woolie, dipped this in the bowl of solution paste I mixed up, then stuck it through the spokes and and smeared the front side of each rotor.
      For inner rotor surface, I slid under the truck.
      Next I moved the truck forward about a foot and smeared the surface that was previously covered by the caliper in the first application.

You may need to repeat this process two full times to see results. I saw some change after the first drive. I did a second application afterward and this cured the problem.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE

I have the 20” with plenty of room between the spokes (the standard inscription wheels I guess) so I think your method will work nicely. I’ll give it a shot!

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements