Very few XC60s in our area, why?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 86
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      9

      Very few XC60s in our area, why?

      I am new to this forum, however for the last several months were reading your helpful post/replies on various subjects.

      We are planning to replace my wife’s 20-year old RX300 Admiral Edition and among all other SUVs selected XC60 AWD. We were thinking even to go with OSD or place the order on what we want in US.

      However, I am really puzzled why there so few of them on the road. We live in the Bay Area CA, where there is no lack of luxury or expensive cars on the road but during the entire week of one hour commute twice a day I barely see one XC60 on the road. There are probably hundreds of RXs, Q5s, X3s, GLEs and CLCs, even Land Rovers, but no Volvos.

      I think XC 60 is the most classy and beautiful looking cars in its class, so why it is so few of them in our expensive area?

      I would appreciate if you can share your opinion. What is your take on it? Is it car reliability issue for the price, or lack of dealerships or what?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      74

      Very few XC60s in our area, why?

      In my bit of Ontario I see plenty of XC90s of various ages but very few XC60s. Like your area Audi, MB and BMW SUVs and CUVs are like cockroaches.
      Don’t know why, the local dealer is long established but certainly did nearly disappear when Ford owned Volvo. Now the dealer has a new showroom and workshop.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Fremont, CA
      Posts
      23
      We’re from the SF Bay Area as well, and you can definitely see Volvos and XC60 around, although not as many as XC90 or not nearly as many as other European brands. I have noticed they are more rare in the east bay compared to the peninsula... Are you also on the east bay by any chance?

      Geoff

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      9
      Quote Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
      We’re from the SF Bay Area as well, and you can definitely see Volvos and XC60 around, although not as many as XC90 or not nearly as many as other European brands. I have noticed they are more rare in the east bay compared to the peninsula... Are you also on the east bay by any chance?

      Geoff
      I am right in the middle of Peninsula in Belmont

    7. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,103
      This is still the second year for the new model. More will show up in third and fourth year.
      I see some XC60's late this year in my area, while XC90 is very easy to find now, several times a day when I wait at traffic light.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    8. #6
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      701
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      This is still the second year for the new model. More will show up in third and fourth year.
      I see some XC60's late this year in my area, while XC90 is very easy to find now, several times a day when I wait at traffic light.
      Sales results in the US market do not indicate this for the Volvo XC60. The first 9 months of 2019 are worse sales than the 9 months of 2018

      These are sales results in the US market.









      Last edited by BigBang; 10-23-2019 at 04:21 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Bay Area California
      Posts
      8
      I'm in Berkeley and don't do a lot of driving, but I do see XC60's (almost every time I hit the highways.) I have an XC40 and have only seen two of those in the last year. I visit Orange County frequently and noted that I never see XC40's there, but then realized I don't see Volvos of any kind down there. All completely anecdotal, of course.
      Last edited by vicwong; 10-23-2019 at 04:33 PM.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      9
      BigBang, thank you. Really interesting statistics that could explain the lack of XC60s, but still not clear why? Each of its competition has some really visible concerns: X3 does not have a spare tire (with special order you could get it sacrificing 3 " in the trunk), Q5 is bumpy, has really firm ride and is small for me (6'4"), GLC does not have a spare tire and no provision for the towing hitch.

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Bay Area California
      Posts
      8
      I wonder if the Volvo still has a counter-culturalish vibe to it. I've mentioned my purchase of a Volvo to people and they all had this conception of the boxy, outside the mainstream car of olde, and are pretty surprised when I show them pix. Actually, that probably also explains why I see so many Volvos in Berkeley.

    12. #10
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      701
      Quote Originally Posted by osetleo View Post
      BigBang, thank you. Really interesting statistics that could explain the lack of XC60s, but still not clear why? Each of its competition has some really visible concerns: X3 does not have a spare tire (with special order you could get it sacrificing 3 " in the trunk), Q5 is bumpy, has really firm ride and is small for me (6'4"), GLC does not have a spare tire and no provision for the towing hitch.
      FYI: In the EU market in most countries spare tire is not standard equipment but is available at extra cost
      I know about the US market is standard ( Volvo and Audi )

      Volvo has the smallest cargo compartment in the class: 505 liters, others have 550 liters

      With a spare wheel, that space is even smaller

      Last edited by BigBang; 10-23-2019 at 04:57 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      48
      I see lots of the previous generation XC60 over here in the East Bay. And I’ve been starting to see the newer model ones around too.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    14. #12
      Member tarrbot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      1,805
      I'm in Detroit where it's almost a crime to be seen in non-American cars.

      I see new and old XC60s all the time.

      New and old XC90s all the time.

      Several XC40s on a regular basis.

      It's just a perspective thing.

      2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey


    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Posts
      4
      Live Palmdale/Lancaster california USA Ive seen two new xc90, three older xc90 and maybe 5 older xc60. I have xc60 2018 and have not yet seen another one in my city. Im kinda happy I have the only one in my city.

    16. #14
      Junior Member visualv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      California
      Posts
      140
      Come down south to Willow Glen in San Jose.... There are XC60 and XC90 everywhere you look. I'm the only V60 around here

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60, T6 R-Design Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      Ragnarok

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Northeast USA
      Posts
      285
      I can understand why people aren’t buying the XC60. Right now, I’m shopping comparison between the X3 and a XC60 and believe it or not the BMW is the better bargain for me. These are some of my must have features....

      Thigh support seats... BMW is standard... Volvo must purchase Inscription model
      Adaptive suspension... BMW $1000... Volvo $1850
      Trailer Hitch... BMW $550... Volvo $1650 (is this gold plated?)
      6 sec O-60 acceleration... BMW is standard... Volvo must purchase the T6 model

      Plus, I’ve been reading the BMW Xpost forums and apparently BMW dealers are willing to negotiate a little more than Volvo dealers. In the end, the BMW X3 is cheaper (and more fun to drive) for me. Your mileage may vary of course.

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Northeast USA
      Posts
      285
      Osetleo, Mercedes does indeed have an option for a trailer hitch. It costs $575 compared to Volvo’s $1650.

    19. #17
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,103
      Quote Originally Posted by Joeyboy View Post
      Osetleo, Mercedes does indeed have an option for a trailer hitch. It costs $575 compared to Volvo’s $1650.
      I don't remember now but Volvo's is around $1.2k or so.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      SF Bay Area
      Posts
      108
      Osetleo, I am in the SF Bay Area as well. I do see SPA XC60s daily. I drive 40 miles, on the peninsula, per day, minimal for my commute ending in Santa Clara, I most often see T8s zipping by me in the High Occupancy/Carpool lane. As mentioned by others, I see a lot more SPA XC90s than XC60s. But one of the reasons I chose the XC60 was that I didn't see so many compared to the ubiquitous X3/X5s and Q3/Q5s in this area...both are very nice cars but so many here.
      Last edited by VeeXCee; 10-24-2019 at 03:24 AM.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Fremont, CA
      Posts
      23
      By the way, speaking of spare tire: We just picked up our T8 XC60 in Sweden and I was surprised to find out it doesn’t have a spare tire, but instead a tire repair kit 😕 The space is taken by parts for the air suspension.

      Geoff

    22. #20
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,103
      Quote Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
      By the way, speaking of spare tire: We just picked up our T8 XC60 in Sweden and I was surprised to find out it doesn’t have a spare tire, but instead a tire repair kit The space is taken by parts for the air suspension.

      Geoff
      Congrats on the T8!

      Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Fremont, CA
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Congrats on the T8!

      Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Thank you!!!

      Geoff

    24. #22
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      701
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I don't remember now but Volvo's is around $1.2k or so.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Wrong information, not $1.2k

      Price is : $ 1,650

      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      6
      Here in Central NY, my wife bought her white XC60 and there really weren't any others in the area. After she bought hers, three other white ones popped up within a few miles of us within a couple months, and we're seeing more and more. They're gaining a lot of traction around us.

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      267
      As for market share, Volvo is growing, but it's starting at a smaller percentage. If you look at a Volvo from a few years ago the brand has really stepped into a different class. Some older Volvo customers can't or won't make the jump in pricing for the newer more luxury cars, and much of the competitive customers aren't aware of the change. The Youtube reviews are good and driving business. I still get friends surprised "how nice Volvo is" when I take them out in one of the demo cars I get.

      Air suspension does not affect spare tire, the T8 does. Compared to most plug in hybrids the Volvo does a pretty good job not giving up cargo space other than the center console and spare tire area.

      The Volvo trailer hitch is the only one that folds up when not in use. So it's not gold plated, but it is certainly a more advanced system.

      X3 compare... your points are valid.. but XC60 has standard pano roof, lumbar support, mobile app, android auto (not even available on X3) all standard. Generally speaking a comparable spec'd XC60 is less than the BMW. You may not need those features, but they are there. Likely others as well. It's impossible to have a blanket statement on which is a better deal for all customers.

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Fremont, CA
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      Air suspension does not affect spare tire, the T8 does. Compared to most plug in hybrids the Volvo does a pretty good job not giving up cargo space other than the center console and spare tire area.
      Ah! I stand corrected!

      Geoff

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      9
      DFrantz, thank you, good explanation. Is the trailer hitch that is geared towards US market (2" hitch receptacle and electrical connector) really foldable? I thought only Stealth tow hitch is removable. I was told that for OSD delivery they can install in Sweden the tow hitch $1650 (a bit less for OSD), but the permanent one could be installed at US Volvo dealerships (or at port of entry). Could you please clarify?

      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      As for market share, Volvo is growing, but it's starting at a smaller percentage. If you look at a Volvo from a few years ago the brand has really stepped into a different class. Some older Volvo customers can't or won't make the jump in pricing for the newer more luxury cars, and much of the competitive customers aren't aware of the change. The Youtube reviews are good and driving business. I still get friends surprised "how nice Volvo is" when I take them out in one of the demo cars I get.

      Air suspension does not affect spare tire, the T8 does. Compared to most plug in hybrids the Volvo does a pretty good job not giving up cargo space other than the center console and spare tire area.

      The Volvo trailer hitch is the only one that folds up when not in use. So it's not gold plated, but it is certainly a more advanced system.

      X3 compare... your points are valid.. but XC60 has standard pano roof, lumbar support, mobile app, android auto (not even available on X3) all standard. Generally speaking a comparable spec'd XC60 is less than the BMW. You may not need those features, but they are there. Likely others as well. It's impossible to have a blanket statement on which is a better deal for all customers.

    29. #27
      Member tarrbot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      1,805
      Quote Originally Posted by osetleo View Post
      BigBang, thank you. Really interesting statistics that could explain the lack of XC60s, but still not clear why? Each of its competition has some really visible concerns: X3 does not have a spare tire (with special order you could get it sacrificing 3 " in the trunk), Q5 is bumpy, has really firm ride and is small for me (6'4"), GLC does not have a spare tire and no provision for the towing hitch.
      I missed this. When seeing the "slump" I think there was an aggressive XC40 campaign on sales that may have taken some of them away from this.

      I know in my sister-in-law's case she wanted something smaller than her QX80 so she ended up going with the XC40. The XC60 would have been fine for her but she liked the XC40 better.

      2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey


    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      267
      Quote Originally Posted by osetleo View Post
      DFrantz, thank you, good explanation. Is the trailer hitch that is geared towards US market (2" hitch receptacle and electrical connector) really foldable? I thought only Stealth tow hitch is removable. I was told that for OSD delivery they can install in Sweden the tow hitch $1650 (a bit less for OSD), but the permanent one could be installed at US Volvo dealerships (or at port of entry). Could you please clarify?
      My understanding is that all the US ones are foldable now. The transition just occurred in the last few months (hence the old $1200 price to new $1650). I've honestly yet to add one to a car so I really haven't seen it. Most hitches I get for customers are just for bike racks and we stocked up on a few of the old traditional style or I send them to a 3rd party company I trust in town. And that really isn't more than a few times a year. We don't stock with hitches because they can be added, and our market isn't huge on leasing so the residual isn't a big factor most of the time. It does seem to be the 2" receiver rather than the euro weird shaped hook thingy they have in Europe.

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Northeast USA
      Posts
      285
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I don't remember now but Volvo's is around $1.2k or so.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Huh... No. I said it was $1650. Look it up buddy.

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Northeast USA
      Posts
      285
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      It's impossible to have a blanket statement on which is a better deal for ALL customers.
      That’s why I purposely added the words “... for me” at the end of two of my sentences. And regarding the standard features you mention, those can easily be obtained by getting BMW’s convenience package. Trust me, BMW’s convenience package is way way cheaper than the upgrading price for Volvo’s Inscription model and T6 engine for the XC60. Those two Volvo options alone raise the XC60’s price considerably. Again, for the way I want it configured, BMW’s X3 is the cheaper and better option FOR ME.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      172
      I almost purchased an X3. Couldn't live with the seats though. Bottom seat bolsters dig into my thighs. The absence of Android auto and some cheap features in the interior were other downsides.

      It was no cheaper when equipped similarly to the T6, let alone the T5.

      If you can live with those issues, it's a better vehicle overall, imo.

      The XC60 seats are way more comfy and the interior and visibility are vastly superior.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 10-25-2019 at 08:44 AM.

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      13
      We see both SPA and the older generation XC60s from time to time in the west suburb of Chicago. I have stopped pointing to the other car and telling my wife "look, another XC60" whenever I see one on the road. Of course, there are even more XC90s around here. However, when I go to northwest Indiana for work, there are rarely any new Volvo cars. I have seen XC60 parked on the side of road only once, and it's quite possible to be from out of town just like mine.

    35. #33
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      701
      There will always be pros and cons, there is no perfect car

      BMW is more oriented towards the sporty way of driving and is unrivaled in class

      Volvo has a terrible gearbox, the worst in the class
      How much is the gearbox of Volvo is bad, shown by the fact that the BMW X3, Mercedes GLC and Audi Q5 all have better acceleration 0-100 km / h and the final speed is better for 16-20km / h which is an amazing difference for a car with similar weight and almost of the same power. All models have engines 245HP up to 252HP
      How bad is the gearbox indicates the fact that the XC60 T6 with 310 HP has a maximum speed of 230 km / h, competitors in the class with 58-65HP less have a higher top speed
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      172
      I don't know why the top speed even matters. I test drove the X3 five times and I owned a BMW for almost ten years. I had zero complaints related to the transmission. Smooth as silk.

      However, I've also got no issues with the Xc60's transmision. Shifts smooth and quick and always in the right gear.

      The T6 is probably 2 seconds quicker than the X3 in 0-60 times, which are way more relevant than a top speed I'll never approach.

      With regard to handling: I test drove everything in the class multiple times. The X3 and RDX seemed the most sporty to me followed by the Q5 and the XC60. However, is wasn't all in BMW's favor. BMW's electronic steering still feels novacaine numb to me - easily the worst in the class.

      Honestly, the only place I see the X3 as far ahead of the XC60 was ride quality. X3 is quite smooth in comparison.

    37. #35
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      701
      The final speed is not essential but is an indicator of the possibility of engine and gearbox
      The 20km / h difference is huge in a car of the same weight and class

      The T6 is probably 2 seconds quicker ?????????? This is a good joke.

      Even the T8 with 400HP has better acceleration in just 1.1s Speed 0-60 MPH 5.1 Seconds
      Maybe you'll understand something from this X3 M40i with 382HP ACCELERATION 0–60 mph 4.4 Seconds

      X3 xDrive30i 250HP 0-60 MPH 6.0 sec
      Volvo XC60 Momentum T6 310 HP 0-60 MPH 5.6 sec ( with 250HP 0-60 MPH 6.6 sec)

      The T6 Momentum is $ 3,500 more expensive than the X3 3.0i

      For me personally, the transmission in the Volvo is awfully slow, especially when it switches to manual mode, when you want to change gears quickly, this is slow compared to the competition

      After all, read the opinions of the experts who tested the T5 / T6, at least in Europe everyone has a complaint about gear changes and especially applies to acceleration 80 - 120 km/h
      Last edited by BigBang; 10-25-2019 at 11:17 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Why blond interior xc60s are so rare?
      By kevinz in forum XC60 (SPA: 2018- )
      Replies: 28
      Last Post: 10-02-2017, 02:02 PM
    2. Are XC60s in short supply?
      By yobyot in forum XC60 (2010 - 2017)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 01-13-2012, 12:19 AM
    3. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 11-23-2010, 12:15 PM
    4. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-15-2009, 11:34 PM
    5. Replies: 31
      Last Post: 01-14-2005, 11:43 AM