Engine noise under load or acceleration
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Engine noise under load or acceleration

I have a 2016 T6 Polestar and have noticed a change in the sound of the engine under load or acceleration, similar to a buzzing or almost a Diesel engine sound. It does not make the sound if I just put it in neutral while stationary and rev the engine. Any ideas?

I currently have 115k on the engine.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have something similar but have a 2018 T5 V90 with 10k. Almost sounds like something vibrating at certain RPMs when under load. I will mention at my 10k service but expect to be told its normal.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Started noticing the same at 15k
      2018 T6 polestar as well.

I’m guessing it’s either a software update after math or exhaust is acting up as it sounds now like an RS5 ABT I used to have. I call it “spit shift” in addition the engine sounding like it’s at a higher gear than it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Noticed the same on my 2018 T6 over the past few days. 17k miles. Sounds like the "rattle can" sound my last two diesels made, or how my old '96 Jeep sounded if I put 87 octane in it. I only use Shell 93 in the Volvo.

Is the noise more pronounced if you have it in Polestar Engineered vs Comfort mode?

I do notice this in my new 2019 T6 with Polestar where my 2016 T6 with Polestar did not behave like this. I don't think it is an issue though. Overall the shift transitions are even smoother and power distribution seems improved in the 2019 for whatever reason.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

I don't have Polestar and I've only noticed it in Comfort.

Mine is in this am for 30k service. 2018 T5 with Polestar - started noticing a sound at around 20-22k miles, what sounds to me like either a belt slip on occasion, more under load. Of course couldn't reproduce well with tech in car. Let's see what they find.
      The brand new 2020 T5 I'm driving as a loaner does not make the sound.
      2018 XC90 T5 AWD RD P* Convenience, Protection, Heated seats/wheel, 22"s, Carbon Fiber, B&W

I own a 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum and a few months ago I noticed a buzz while accelerating. That was absolutelly random, sometimes the buzz was there but somentimes it wasn't . The noise was constant, in the sense that it did not vary with the engine rotation, it was just there or was not. The car had approx 38k km at that time.

I took the car for service and the dealership indentified that the gear that opens/closes the intake throttle was broken, which caused the electric motor that is intented to move the throttle to work at full speed without actually moving it. This defect also caused a malfunction in the engine turbine. Both intake throttle and turbine were replaced under warranty and since then the car engine is working quite well.

Mine also sounds similar to the rattle can but only occurs under acceleration. I have not noticed a difference between driving modes. It will show up in any of them.

Mine is more whine from the Supercharger kicking in earlier, maybe a bit of a buzz, definitely not a rattle so likely not the same thing.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

I used to have Polestar for 3 years on the previous car. When I sometimes got a replacement car from a dealer that did not have Polestar, the engine sound was audibly smoother. On my new car I don't have Polestar and the engine is not buzzing. For sure Polestar makes the engine sounding rougher.
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements