Front end noise
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Front end noise

Front end noise

I'm getting a rubbing noise for lack of a better term from the driver's front of the car. It's most noticeable when I make a right turn which in my experience points to a left wheel bearing. I put both front wheels off the ground to try to pinpoint the noise and all that did was confirm it was the driver's side. I took the tire off and thought for sure I found the issue when I discovered that the dust shield seemed to be touching the rotor due to some rust build up. I removed as much as I could but that didn't help at all.
      The car only has 46,000 miles on it which seems like extremely low miles to have a wheel bearing go out but I'm open to any and all suggestions.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2019 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Subscribing. I, too, have annoying rubbing noise of some sort. Adjusting the dust shields didn’t make a difference. I have a set of front brake pads ready to go on and I’m hoping that is the source of my issue.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Any wheel bearings I've ever had gone bad always made a whining noise when driving the car at anything over 15mph that would progressively get worse/much louder over time. What you are experiencing doesn't sound like a wheel bearing issue to me.

I think Bunnspeed might be on to something with the front brake pads being the possible source of your issue. I wonder if turning is somehow causing one of the pads to make contact with the rotor. I might try taking apart the front brakes and inspect the pads, see how they are wearing, maybe lube everything up again and see if that solves the noise. Good luck!!
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 - IPD Rear Stabilizer Bar and IPD Rear End-Links
      2005 Pontiac GTO - Corsa Sport Exhaust, GMM Ripshift Shifter, Pedders Stage II Suspension

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MightyVoice View Post
      Any wheel bearings I've ever had gone bad always made a whining noise when driving the car at anything over 15mph that would progressively get worse/much louder over time. What you are experiencing doesn't sound like a wheel bearing issue to me.

I think Bunnspeed might be on to something with the front brake pads being the possible source of your issue. I wonder if turning is somehow causing one of the pads to make contact with the rotor. I might try taking apart the front brakes and inspect the pads, see how they are wearing, maybe lube everything up again and see if that solves the noise. Good luck!!
      As I've thought about this over the last several days, I'm thinking that replacing the pads would be good preventative maintenance and just might fix the problem. I'll check back with any progress.

wheel bearings typically go bad on the right side first(more potholes on right side, sewers, curbs etc) common cause of noise when turning are the upper strut mount bearings. they can make anything from a clicking sound to a clanging banging sound or occasionally a rubbing noise. happens most at parking lot speeds. easiest way to check these is with your front tires off the ground, have someone turn the steering wheel left and right with your hand on the upper strut mount under the hood. or could be brake backing plates but you said you checked those. noticing the rust debris from the brakes, how do the rotors look? if pads are low they can start to knock down the rust lip on the edge of rotors and sometimes that debris ends up between the brake pad and rotor

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      wheel bearings typically go bad on the right side first(more potholes on right side, sewers, curbs etc) common cause of noise when turning are the upper strut mount bearings. they can make anything from a clicking sound to a clanging banging sound or occasionally a rubbing noise. happens most at parking lot speeds. easiest way to check these is with your front tires off the ground, have someone turn the steering wheel left and right with your hand on the upper strut mount under the hood. or could be brake backing plates but you said you checked those. noticing the rust debris from the brakes, how do the rotors look? if pads are low they can start to knock down the rust lip on the edge of rotors and sometimes that debris ends up between the brake pad and rotor
      Rotors looked good without even a lip at the edge of the rotor. The vast majority of this car's miles have been highway so the rotors looking good is no surprise. Living in the rust belt in the Chicago area doesn't help matters as far as corrosion build-up so we'll see what I get when I do the pads.
      I ordered the pads from Rock Auto and as anyone knows that has ordered from them, you enter your car's information and let shows the parts available. However, and I'm guessing because the AWD version was introduced as a 2015.5 and Rock Auto couldn't differentiate between a 2015.5 and a 2015, there were 3 different size pads listed for 3 different rotor diameters. I had to go measure to be sure that mine were 300mm.

On my wifes 2017 s60 inscription Driver side hub bearing died at 23k. The other noise can come from the bad axle its known issue as well.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      On my wifes 2017 s60 inscription Driver side hub bearing died at 23k. The other noise can come from the bad axle its known issue as well.
      Good info in this thread. Thanks to all.

Pauls90, can you describe the sound you heard when your wife's wheel bearing was going bad? I've had bad bearings in other cars but the noise was a specific rumbling that was easier to diagnose for what it was. My Vo makes a much more diverse set of noises, from whooshing sounds to some clattery sounds with the wheels spinning. And sometimes it makes very little noise. Usually makes more noise as parts warm up, too.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

the noise she had was not a regular hub noise it was more like squeaky noise. The other issue it was only after small while and mostly if you go above 30 mph or if you go 40 mph steady. You can see the symptoms on this video . Its in Russian but you will see at first wont be any noise and than they will try again and noise is back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xR1n12nwWQ . The other part might be brakes or the brake shield
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Found the problem. I suspected that it was related to the dust shield but I couldn't prove it with everything together. First I took off the caliper and rotated the tire. The noise was still there but again, I couldn't pinpoint it. As much as I didn't want to, I took off the caliper bracket and then the problem became apparent. Somehow, some way, the top of the dust shield was bent in towards the rotor. I bent it back out, put new pads on and the noise is completely gone. The pads with 46,000 miles on them were about half worn which I figured was pretty darn good compared to some of the posts on the 90 series forum, many of which are gone by 20,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail View Post
      Somehow, some way, the top of the dust shield was bent in towards the rotor. I bent it back out, put new pads on and the noise is completely gone.
      Someone probably whizzed the last lug bolt out and the wheel teetered and dropped off the hub and ID of the rim smacked into the dust shield, bending it towards the rotor. I've done it once or twice myself. I even had an inner wheel weight catch on the lip of the dust shield one time and pop off. Luckily I noticed it sitting on the floor.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements