Top speed
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Top speed

Top speed

Hi guys. Anyone know what the top speed of the v/s90 is? I thought it was supposed to be 240kmh but it seems that Volvo starter their 2020 promise and partially caped that to 208kmh. Mainly asking the once that did the Autobahn in theirs obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Never mind just found it. I hit the limiter at 130mph=209.

I have hit 136-137 mph (on the Speedometer) on the loneliest road in America and it definitely feels electronically limited and not power limited.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, it is electronically limited.

The car would probably go at least 900 mph without the electronic limit.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Good to see I'm not alone in top speed department.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      I have hit 136-137 mph (on the Speedometer) on the loneliest road in America and it definitely feels electronically limited and not power limited.
      My brother once got a warning from the NHP for doing 149 east of Fallon on that highway. In a ‘59 Impala.

I wish that was the case. Tried again today. The 2020 got the cut out at 209 and not one km more. I’ll get away from the bmr’s but they get me 10 seconds later on the top speed. For a 2l this thing has plenty to give past 200 so bit sad but on the other hand in the us it won’t happen as I remember my las ticket very very well. I guess my annual trips to Europe must be enough to satisfy the need for some speed. Just hit the 4K mark and change the oil. So far great car.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
      My brother once got a warning from the NHP for doing 149 east of Fallon on that highway. In a ‘59 Impala.
      Oh, Fallon! I had almost forgotten the name of the cities I was passing through, driving back to MI from Reno, NV. Brings back memories!!

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      I wish that was the case. Tried again today. The 2020 got the cut out at 209 and not one km more.
      I would say, do not quote me on the speed displayed on my speedometer. It very well might be a gradient on the arrow-straight road, which would have pushed me a couple of mph to the posted speed. But I can assure you that I have seen the speedometer climb to 130 mph +, multiple times on my early morning drive to work on a flat, arrow-straight Interstate.

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Oh, Fallon! I had almost forgotten the name of the cities I was passing through, driving back to MI from Reno, NV. Brings back memories!!

I would say, do not quote me on the speed displayed on my speedometer. It very well might be a gradient on the arrow-straight road, which would have pushed me a couple of mph to the posted speed. But I can assure you that I have seen the speedometer climb to 130 mph +, multiple times on my early morning drive to work on a flat, arrow-straight Interstate.
      Fernley, Fallon, Austin, Eureka, and Austin. Did that help?

My bro exceeded 149, that’s where the NHP patrol car with it’s “calibrated” speedometer topped out...lol.

And no, that Impala was far from stock.

Hi guys. Anyone know what the top speed of the v/s90 is? I thought it was supposed to be 240kmh but it seems that Volvo starter their 2020 promise and partially caped that to 208kmh. Mainly asking the once that did the Autobahn in theirs obviously.

Lol. I just realized your two posts are 3 minutes apart. So you literally created the thread on your phone, started your car, did an early-morning top-speed run and then replied back! Hahahahaha. Nice!

Luckily, I have daily access to the Autobahn and can confirm the electronic limiter. My 2018 D5 AWD will do 241 km/h but does take quite some time to get there once you get over 200 km/h.

7th gear gets you to top speed and 8th is just an overdrive.
      Last edited by obermuh; 10-27-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
      Fernley, Fallon, Austin, Eureka, and Austin. Did that help?

My bro exceeded 149, that’s where the NHP patrol car with it’s “calibrated” speedometer topped out...lol.

And no, that Impala was far from stock.

In my younger more foolish days I did stuff like this.

My first "real" car after I graduated college was a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero with a 5spd manual transmission.

I put an upgraded turbo, exhaust, software and a bunch of other stuff into it, and it was pretty fast.

At the time my commute took me from work in Rhode Island, into Massachusetts, and then back into Rhode island where I lived at the time.

One day I had had a rough day at work, and I was speeding a little. Not too bad. I just wanted to get home. 85-90mph maybe?

Suddenly when I was in the Massachusetts portion of my drive, a black Taurus pulled up behind me tailgating in the leftmost lane. I moved right to the middle lane to let him pass, but no, he followed, staying WAY too close.

That's when my youthful stupidity kicked in and I decided to outrun him. He followed me up to about 135mph. I continued to accelerate until he looked like a tiny spec in my rear view mirror. I had no idea what speed I was going at the time, because my eyes were on the road, but I was definitely bouncing off of the redline in 5th gear. Then I slowed down, figured "I showed him" and went about my drive home.

I honestly had completely forgotten about the incident by the time I crossed over the border to Rhode Island and the blue lights and sirens went off behind me. It was the black Taurus.

He said he clocked me at 168 mph in a 50 mph zone. (the road briefly dropped from a 65mph zone to 50mph).

Turns out the guy was an undercover Rhode Island state trooper. He had no jurisdiction to pull me over in MA but as soon as I crossed the border, he stopped me. I hadn't done anything wrong in RI though. He was calling the Mass State Troopers on the radio and was going to provide them with his radar evidence at the border.

This is where I lucked out. It turns out that the RI state police and the MA state police don't like each other very much, so they refused to come.

RI Trooper was pissed, red faced and yelling. He told me I had better never do anything wrong in RI because he would find me.

Ever since that day (in 2004?) I have driven like a grandmother. I learned my lesson.

Long story short, the top speed of my S90 is mostly uninteresting to me. It spends 99% of its life in ECO mode driving gently around town. Fastest I've probably driven it is 80mph, but only briefly.

I got the T6 not because I want to race anyone, but because it is really nice for merging into traffic when no one is letting you in, and it is really busy.

And I do agree. Surprising amounts of power from such a small engine.

So, I have no idea what the top speed is governed at in my 2019 S90 T6, (I suspect 131mph) but I do recall an Autoblog story from a while back suggesting that ALL Volvo's would receive 112mph governors starting in 2020, as a way to focus on safety.

No idea if they are going to follow through on that though.

I didn't think I had much left after 122

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      In my younger more foolish days I did stuff like this.

My first "real" car after I graduated college was a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero with a 5spd manual transmission.

I put an upgraded turbo, exhaust, software and a bunch of other stuff into it, and it was pretty fast.

At the time my commute took me from work in Rhode Island, into Massachusetts, and then back into Rhode island where I lived at the time.

One day I had had a rough day at work, and I was speeding a little. Not too bad. I just wanted to get home. 85-90mph maybe?

Suddenly when I was in the Massachusetts portion of my drive, a black Taurus pulled up behind me tailgating in the leftmost lane. I moved right to the middle lane to let him pass, but no, he followed, staying WAY too close.

That's when my youthful stupidity kicked in and I decided to outrun him. He followed me up to about 135mph. I continued to accelerate until he looked like a tiny spec in my rear view mirror. I had no idea what speed I was going at the time, because my eyes were on the road, but I was definitely bouncing off of the redline in 5th gear. Then I slowed down, figured "I showed him" and went about my drive home.

I honestly had completely forgotten about the incident by the time I crossed over the border to Rhode Island and the blue lights and sirens went off behind me. It was the black Taurus.

He said he clocked me at 168 mph in a 50 mph zone. (the road briefly dropped from a 65mph zone to 50mph).

Turns out the guy was an undercover Rhode Island state trooper. He had no jurisdiction to pull me over in MA but as soon as I crossed the border, he stopped me. I hadn't done anything wrong in RI though. He was calling the Mass State Troopers on the radio and was going to provide them with his radar evidence at the border.

This is where I lucked out. It turns out that the RI state police and the MA state police don't like each other very much, so they refused to come.

RI Trooper was pissed, red faced and yelling. He told me I had better never do anything wrong in RI because he would find me.

Ever since that day (in 2004?) I have driven like a grandmother. I learned my lesson.

Long story short, the top speed of my S90 is mostly uninteresting to me. It spends 99% of its life in ECO mode driving gently around town. Fastest I've probably driven it is 80mph, but only briefly.

I got the T6 not because I want to race anyone, but because it is really nice for merging into traffic when no one is letting you in, and it is really busy.

And I do agree. Surprising amounts of power from such a small engine.

So, I have no idea what the top speed is governed at in my 2019 S90 T6, (I suspect 131mph) but I do recall an Autoblog story from a while back suggesting that ALL Volvo's would receive 112mph governors starting in 2020, as a way to focus on safety.

No idea if they are going to follow through on that though.
      You got extremely lucky!

To clarify the story I told just a bit, the events referenced happened in 1962. My brother’s Impala was bored and stroked to something near 430 cubic inches, had 12.5:1 forged pistons, a full race roller cam, with six two barrels on a high rise manifold, and headers that could be opened up with few twists of the wrench. With a 293 rear axle ratio, I have no idea what the top speed was in those days. Highway 50 had no posted speed limit at the time, though your speed was supposed to be “reasonable, and proper”. LOL.

I was with him one night at the local DQ as we’d been cruising Maine street. The NHP car pulled in the parking lot, and blocked us in...the Trooper walked up to our window, leaned in and said, “Ben, I know that was you who outran me at 149 on the Austin highway the other day, no where in the State of Nevada is there a black Impala that’s as fast as yours. I KNOW IT WAS YOU! You pull that **** on me again, and I’ll have you locked up for a month in the county jail, and your car impounded. Are we clear”?

Ben said, “yes sir”! Officer Block strolled back to his cruiser and departed. In those days we all knew the local Troopers, and they knew us...

Just this weekend I did 226km/h on my V90CC T6 VOR.. (german motorway) and it got there pretty fast even driving in confort mode.. my guess is that it can go until 240 (at least).. but I have to check

Top speed

That is very possible. But you have the Euro spec not US . I do agree that the 2 liter had plenty power near the max.

according Euro Volvo sites T6 has top speed of 250km/h.

Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      according Euro Volvo sites T6 has top speed of 250km/h.
      😢 Then again, we are in the USA and 130MPH is plenty for a ticket/night in jail.

😢 Then again, we are in the USA and 130MPH is plenty for a ticket/night in jail.
      well.. we have this here haha

no_limit.jpg
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

Quote Originally Posted by ru1 View Post
      well.. we have this here haha

no_limit.jpg
      Now that is a photo from Germany right? You guys have the regular 130kmh in Luxembourg correct?

Now that is a photo from Germany right? You guys have the regular 130kmh in Luxembourg correct?
      Yes, Luxembourg has 130km/h limit.. although no one really respects it
      BUT.. unlimited autobahn is 30 minutes away from me
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

What tires came the car on from factory?
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised

Honestly, this seems like kind of a pointless conversation.

We aren't talking about a race car, or even a sporty car here.

We are talking about a huge, almost 4,200lb luxo-barge.

As long as it will hit 85mph, it's fine

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Honestly, this seems like kind of a pointless conversation.

We aren't talking about a race car, or even a sporty car here.

We are talking about a huge, almost 4,200lb luxo-barge.

As long as it will hit 85mph, it's fine
      Heck, I like 90 at my age. In broad daylight, on a straight stretch of Nevada Highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      What tires came the car on from factory?
      Pirelies with the foam

In Virginia, Max speed on rural interstates is 70 mph. 20 mph over the speed limit (or 80 mph) is reckless driving, which is a criminal misdemeanor offense. Here it does not matter if the max speed capability is 112 mph or 130 mph since we cannot legally get there.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements