Brought home my first Volvo...a 1998 V70 T5M
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Brought home my first Volvo...a 1998 V70 T5M

I have been looking for a wagon for a couple months now as my access cab pickup does not have room for a car seat, and the recent arrival of our second kiddo made relying on my wife's car to exclusively carry kids around became less reasonable. I was looking at Outbacks, BMW E39 Tourings, and Volvo but I was really hung up on a manual transmission and wanted to keep my out of pocket costs low due to previously mentioned kids. I saw the classified listing on this forum and jumped at the opportunity as it was somewhat close to me and bought it sight unseen.

Almost three weeks later after several delays due to auto transport brokers being the shadiest group of people I have dealt with, I finally said f*** it and bought a one-way plane ticket yesterday and drove it back late last night and crossed over 250K miles right as I pulled into town.

The car drove great the whole way home, and there were no major items that didn't meet my expectations for a $1500 car. A few early thoughts on it....

Most notably, the stick shift is pretty slushy and there is some turbulence between first and second gear. I am not mechanically inclined so I don't know if this is a sign of a worn clutch or not. How easy is it to have this looked at and see how much life is left?

Second, the interior is quite squeaky, which I have read about and thought would be overblown but I get it now. Is seeking out the source of these even possible or worthwhile?

I'm sure there will be plenty more questions as I get more familiar with the car and I look forward to the insight you guys can give

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome! You got quite the car! I was wondering if this one would have a thread pop up or not.

You can reinforce the dashboard mounting points/pads to get rid of the creaks, but itís also something p80 people just have to live with unfortunately.

Regarding the shifting experience, is it only when the car is cold? Or does it shift weirdly after driving for awhile? I donít think itís a clutch issue, but maybe your transmission fluid is a little low or some shifter bushings are worn out.
      1998 V70R Mystic Silver/Graphite
      1996 RN Swapped 854R Bright Red/Graphite

Past:
      1998 V70 NA/m Classic Red/Light Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
      Welcome! You got quite the car! I was wondering if this one would have a thread pop up or not.

You can reinforce the dashboard mounting points/pads to get rid of the creaks, but itís also something p80 people just have to live with unfortunately.

Regarding the shifting experience, is it only when the car is cold? Or does it shift weirdly after driving for awhile? I donít think itís a clutch issue, but maybe your transmission fluid is a little low or some shifter bushings are worn out.
      Thanks! I will likely live with the squeaks as it would likely be a never ending battle which is fine.

I am not sure on the shifting, but I will note today whether I experience the issue both cold and warm. I left the airport, hopped on the interstate came straight home, so not a lot of time in 1st and 2nd gear. I was surprised at how long 3rd gear was. Going to take it for the "post purchase inspection this weekend" and have them do a once over for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Good for you, man. I'd have snagged it if you didn't.
      Quote Originally Posted by brendenlow View Post
      Thanks! I will likely live with the squeaks as it would likely be a never ending battle which is fine.

I am not sure on the shifting, but I will note today whether I experience the issue both cold and warm. I left the airport, hopped on the interstate came straight home, so not a lot of time in 1st and 2nd gear. I was surprised at how long 3rd gear was. Going to take it for the "post purchase inspection this weekend" and have them do a once over for me.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Shifter bushings on both ends are large rubber with voids. Replace with delrin for a much better engagement and feel. 100% theyíre toast by age
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 201k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 292k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      Shifter bushings on both ends are large rubber with voids. Replace with delrin for a much better engagement and feel. 100% theyíre toast by age
      Thanks for the advice! I'll put it on my hit list

The trans may never have been serviced. Drain and fill with high quality full synthetic oil. Donít get us into an oil battle please but I prefer Lucas 75/90. Takes a little over two quarts for this unit. Get someone patient enough to let it drain for 30 min if you canít diy.
      -Paul
      1998 OSD V70 T5M | M56H | Signal Red(601)/Tan(3960) | IPD susp | ARD Custom Tune | Delrin subframe bushings | Propus

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      The roller bearings in the two shift cables at the trans need replacing too. I have extra skateboard bearings that squeeze in nicely. Just pay shipping. You can press them out yourself if you at least have some tools and press new ones in with channelocks.
      -Paul
      1998 OSD V70 T5M | M56H | Signal Red(601)/Tan(3960) | IPD susp | ARD Custom Tune | Delrin subframe bushings | Propus

Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      The roller bearings in the two shift cables at the trans need replacing too. I have extra skateboard bearings that squeeze in nicely. Just pay shipping. You can press them out yourself if you at least have some tools and press new ones in with channelocks.
      Thanks for the advice. I will def start with a trans flush. As for the bushings, are the roller bearings and shifter bushings separate parts? This is going to be a learning experience for me as I have never owned an older car. also is a short shifter kit worth looking in to?

Nice ride! jealous of all these 5-speed examples getting bought up.

And yes... the interior squeaks are, well... part of the package. Every time I fix a rattle, a new one appears. I've learned to turn up the radio.
      1998 S70 T5 SE - 150K

Previous Cars:
      1998 S70 T5 SE - 212K
      1990 760 Turbo - 543K

Thanks for the advice. I will def start with a trans flush. As for the bushings, are the roller bearings and shifter bushings separate parts? This is going to be a learning experience for me as I have never owned an older car. also is a short shifter kit worth looking in to?
      No flush needed in a MT. You drain it out and fill it up.

I have suitable roller bearings for you. PM when youíre ready for them. The shifter housing has four bushings. The Delrin ones Scottishbrick mentioned is what you want. Snabb is where I got mine. Both sets of bushings make a huge difference. Itís a cable system so slop is inherent no matter what.

I donít even need a short shifter. Itís super nice and tight. Donít think thereís many good things about the one option the aftermarket has to offer but I certainly donít need it. Unless your cables are stretched...
      -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by slupul View Post
      Nice ride! jealous of all these 5-speed examples getting bought up.

And yes... the interior squeaks are, well... part of the package. Every time I fix a rattle, a new one appears. I've learned to turn up the radio.
      No squeaks or rattles In west coast p80 examples.
      Sorry couldnít resist.
      -Paul

No squeaks or rattles In west coast p80 examples.
      Sorry couldnít resist.
      or babied east coasters. we have 3 that are squeak free.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 201k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 292k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

Mine is a west coast example and still suffers
      1998 S70 T5 SE - 150K

Previous Cars:
      1998 S70 T5 SE - 212K
      1990 760 Turbo - 543K

No flush needed in a MT. You drain it out and fill it up.

I have suitable roller bearings for you. PM when youíre ready for them. The shifter housing has four bushings. The Delrin ones Scottishbrick mentioned is what you want. Snabb is where I got mine. Both sets of bushings make a huge difference. Itís a cable system so slop is inherent no matter what.

I donít even need a short shifter. Itís super nice and tight. Donít think thereís many good things about the one option the aftermarket has to offer but I certainly donít need it. Unless your cables are stretched...
      Great advice. I am going to see a buddy who is mechanically inclined this week and start list of things I would like to address on the car and will def reach out to you on the bearings. After driving it for a few days the immediate things to work on are slushy shifting and a broken parking brake, and adding an aux or bluetooth connection for handsfree functionality.

Less immediate are an AC that is not blowing cold and a look at upgrading the brakes and shocks. Further down the list are cosmetics like new door inserts, window tint, and maybe new wheels and tires when the time comes to switch the current ones out. I do need to change out the trim along the roof, maybe called drip molding or something of the sorts. Is this something I can order or am I best served hitting a junk yard?

Am I missing anything that others would suggest adding? I will keep posting in this thread as opposed to starting a new one each time so as to track the changes.
      Last edited by brendenlow; 10-27-2019 at 10:24 PM.

My 99 at 145K miles was as tight as a new car
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Great advice. I am going to see a buddy who is mechanically inclined this week and start list of things I would like to address on the car and will def reach out to you on the bearings. After driving it for a few days the immediate things to work on are slushy shifting and a broken parking brake, and adding an aux or bluetooth connection for handsfree functionality.

Less immediate are an AC that is not blowing cold and a look at upgrading the brakes and shocks. Further down the list are cosmetics like new door inserts, window tint, and maybe new wheels and tires when the time comes to switch the current ones out. I do need to change out the trim along the roof, maybe called drip molding or something of the sorts. Is this something I can order or am I best served hitting a junk yard?

Am I missing anything that others would suggest adding? I will keep posting in this thread as opposed to starting a new one each time so as to track the changes.
      Broken parking break could be a couple of things, there are lots of youtube videos explaining the workings of a p80 parking break mechanism. Might be tricky if you're not very experienced mechanically, and if you don't live in the mountains you'll be ok parking in gear for now, until you've built confidence to tackle the job. But also if you take pictures before you take it apart you'll be fine.

Look to IPD and get a GROM kit for handsfree/bluetooth, people swear by them around MN and from IPD it's an easy install kit. (one of the only times I'll be recommending IPD stuff though so be wary when recommended other items from them)

AC can get expensive REALLLLY quick, so that's up to you. I'd start with checking the system charge, just don't overcharge it.

People around here will highly recommend to upgrade to 302 mm front discs, great upgrade if you're redoing the entire system, but sometimes difficult to source the brackets. Regardless of 302 vs 280 (280 mm is stock) if you order from FCP, zimmerman rotors and hawk/ate pads are the current recommendation I think. Shocks & Struts/suspension depends on what you want out of the car (cost effective vs. sporty), there's differing opinions on those too that others can share.

For the roof trim you should hit a junkyard, unless new pieces (if even available) are local they're uneconomical to order. If you're into practicality you can get a set of roof rails too! There are two styles; pre and post 98. Pre is skinnier and post is chunkier, I had post on my v70 but I think I prefer the pre-98 style. Depending on the cars model year is the style they should have.

As far as if you're missing anything, I'd take the list you form with your mechanic friend and order it in terms of difficulty after you research each repair, then tackle the easiest first to build confidence! That's where all the fun in wrenching is for me, gaining knowledge and being able to share it!

Past:

Your lack of cold air could be just the clutch on the AC compressor needing shimming. Google Volvo AC shim, plenty of write ups and videos on this
      01 S60 T5M Black, middle sons
      00 S70 GLT Black, youngest sons
      01 E46 325 XI Touring Silver, Wifes, totalled, bought back, repaired, soon for sale
      00 S70 GLT SE T5 Swap MINE !

People around here will highly recommend to upgrade to 302 mm front discs, great upgrade if you're redoing the entire system, but sometimes difficult to source the brackets.
      It's also great upgrade if you like to stop quickly when towing trailers or something. 280mm brakes are really weak for that purpose.
      1999 V70 D5252T M56 - Nautic Blue/Graphite

You need a new under dash evaporator, a HUGE job. A poor design, every single one fails after 10-12 years or so.
      Roof rails gave not been available for YEARS, probably 12-15 years by now
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      You need a new under dash evaporator, a HUGE job. A poor design, every single one fails after 10-12 years or so.
      Roof rails gave not been available for YEARS, probably 12-15 years by now
      lol what, I have never heard of that issue. I don't see anything wrong in checking the ac systems charge rather than jumping to the biggest possible issue.

Past:

Quote Originally Posted by slupul View Post
      Mine is a west coast example and still suffers
      But youíre a Canuck. just joking. )
      -Paul

lol what, I have never heard of that issue. I don't see anything wrong in checking the ac systems charge rather than jumping to the biggest possible issue.
      If there's no charge in the system it's far and away the most likely culprit. It's worth doing the diagnostics to rule it out but if the system leaks it's almost certainly why. If you Google it you'll see how common it is.
      1966 220: dormant project
      1999 S70 #base: 192K
      2000 V70R: 135K
      2006 V50 T5M AWD: 147K

You will need to do some caliper grinding to fit 302mm fronts under the Persus wheels. Most 98 T5s came with Perfo wheels which do fit. I have this setup on my 96 855T and love it.
      Roof moldings for P80 wagons are virtually unshippable doe to length, roof rails are easy to ship.
      My 96 855T still has the original ac evaporator and works. Charged twice with a single can. In family since new.

For the roof moldings would it be reasonable to strip the current ones down and plastidip or paint them? Seem like the path of least resistance as I figure any junkyard find of the same era will also have sun bleached molding.

For the roof moldings would it be reasonable to strip the current ones down and plastidip or paint them? Seem like the path of least resistance as I figure any junkyard find of the same era will also have sun bleached molding.
      Depending how bad the rails are, you could pretty likely restore them using Griotís products - the rubber clean first and then the rubber polish compound last. Works miracles on the black trim on the side mirror and the door rubber.
      -Paul

You see a huge range of condition for them at the junk yard. If you find a vehicle that was garaged at some point, they won't be terrible. That said, I've used Plastidip gray to fix a section of it on my Emerald XC and it didn't turn out bad as the rubberized texture mimics the original texture. It just takes time to mask the edges. As also mentioned, if you install a roof rack, the gutter trim is in shorter sections instead of the long ones and that makes it easier to piece together a good looking set.
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

Oh these are trashed and way beyond just being sunfaded. Delamination and peeling all the ay down so they will need replacement for sure. Ill put the Griot's process to work on the other plastic parts and report back with the results.

No shoutout for your middleman?! Sheesh! Haha just kidding, but seriously. Sorry I ghosted you on the private messages, life is busy.

I'll put all my advice out here in the open to be scrutinized by the collective.

First, let this car turn you into a DIY mechanic! Don't fight it! It is just not a good idea to buy a $1500 Volvo and then start paying other people to start fixing/ figuring everything out for you. If you want to keep this economical, which is totally possible, keep doing what you're doing, reach out to the forums, watch videos, cruise the parts websites, buy the tools, and get in there and turn the wrenches. Your confidence will build with each task you complete.

I use the spherical shift bearings in my car from the second link below. I like the design idea better than solid. Both are better options than replacing with stock. Your original rubber shift bushings are more than likely shot. The shifter base bushings are also an improvement. I would say skip the short shifter. Also browse both of those websites and support those guys when you can. They make cool stuff for our cars.
      http://www.snabb.us/best_volvo_parts..._bushings.html
      https://www.bneshop.com/collections/p80

I would definitely say do a drain and fill on the trans. Again, DIY this! You will pay so much money to pay people to do stuff like this compared to cost of material and time. I use Redline MTL.

The clutch on my car was still fine at 196k miles, but the throwout bearing disintegrated. Had to pull the trans to replace, so I changed the clutch at the same time, only made sense to do the work once. You might be fine for awhile, but I'd be prepared for the clutch job if I were you.

I have a love/ hate relationship with my GROM bluetooth adapter on my OEM head unit. When it works, I love it. But when it won't connect without me resetting it multiple times when I need it, well, I hate it! Some days I just want to go back to my ugly but functional 100% of the time aftermarket head unit.

Like others have said, all the squeaks are fixable if you care to spend the time to fix them. I have chased down and solved a few of the easy ones, but others remain. Not a huge deal to me.

For the most part, buy OEM parts or find the parts from the original company who made them for Volvo. The other option is to replace them again prematurely. I have done this with coolant hoses, control arms, and sway bar end links to name a few. Not all parts are this way, I do have aftermarket cheap axles and on my car right now as an example and they have been fine. Again, do the research, come to your own conclusions.

I like to use FCPEuro, eEuroparts, IPD, Pelican Parts, and anywhere else I can find OEM parts for the best price. Usually it is well documented when there is a known OEM supplier for any given part.

RobertDIY has some really good YouTube videos on how to repair just about everything, so check those out!

As for the A/C get a cheap gauge and filler bottle and check the fill. That's the easiest and cheapest place to start. Yes the evaporator core CAN fail. If that's the case pull the dash and fix those squeaky mounts while it's out! My car still has the original evaporator at 244k miles. One man's HUGE job is another man's weekend no big deal git r done son. Again, do your research.

My roof trim is starting to get trashed too. I totally think peeling off all the old cracked stuff and just plastidipping the whole trim piece will work excellent. Pull the trim off the car and you won't have to do any annoying masking. Then let me know how it turns out! Because I haven't tried it yet haha! If you ever want to get roof rails, you can use the trim you have, you'll just have to cut it where the mounting posts go.

Also, have you ever heard a 5 cylinder with a decent exhaust? Oh Mama! Do yourself and the kids a favor and let that Swedish stallion breath a little with a louder exhaust! My kids love the sound and they love my Volvo in general. You made a good choice. Hope to see you keep posting updates.
      1998 V70 T5 M - 16T, Japanifold, custom 3" exhaust, IPD intake, do88 intercooler & piping, IPD sway bars, strut brace, and springs, Koni yellows, Porsche/R BBK, CJ's sub frame bushings, Quaife LSD, SPEC stage 2 clutch (SMF)

2005 Toyota Prius - 1996 Lexus LX450 - 1993 Volkswagen EuroVan Westfalia

Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
      No shoutout for your middleman?! Sheesh! Haha just kidding, but seriously. Sorry I ghosted you on the private messages, life is busy.
      Sorry for the delayed response as well. Between holidays, two kids under two and heavy demand at work I have been MIA.

Unfortunately I return to the forum with bad news....I was in an accident this week and a Jeep hit my front driverside. As the car was so cheap I only carried liability insurance on it so there is no cavalry coming in the form of an insurance check.

I am not sure what to do next as I had listed out several of the things that I needed to do to the car, notably the AC and Parking brake. Any thoughts on the best course of action? Get an estimate on repairs which I expect would exceed the price of the car? Part it out?

I did find a 99 V70 5 speed near me that has a blown engine but the owner says everything else is good. Would it be a stupid idea top look into dropping my T5M engine into the shell of another V70?

What a bummer, and a rare MT model at that.
      '14 XC90 R-Design, Passion Red & Calcite White, 19" Ixion wheels
      AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS, Volvo Hitch/Harness

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements