SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Winter tires - what do you have/recommend (rim size and tire size)?

13K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  RootDKJ 
#1 ·
Hi. I am a soon-to-be 2019 XC60 T6 R-Design owner. It comes with 21" wheels but to survive harsh Canadian winter (eastern Ontario, Canada), I will need as much rubber as possible.

I scanned the forum and there were a couple of mentions of someone sporting 18" MSI rim with 255/55-18 AT rubber. What about winter? What do you guys use that's a perfect fit and doesn't affect the electronics (pilot assist, etc.)?

#2 ·
I haven't done a winter in mine yet, but last few winters in my other/previous cars, I've been going with Nokian Hakkapeliittas, they're awesome, I'll be getting them for my XC60
But also, you don't want as much rubber as possible, narrower tires, smaller contact patch is the usual way to go. I find Nokians (and Blizzaks for that matter) to be so good that I've been going with the same size as my regular tires.

#4 ·
We are also in Eastern Ontario. (Ottawa) remembering last winter..:(.We are getting Fast titanium Switch wheels, size 18 x8 5-108, mounting Continental Vikings Winter 7 235/60R18s.

Recommended by our trusted tire guy. We have had Gislaveds in the past and they were excellent, Continental owns Gislaved apparently.

#8 ·
I have ordered Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 studded 225/65R17 tires plus plain black rims.....$1566 installed tax included. I'm in Ontario.

#9 ·
The only thing that would make this thread better are photos. :)

#14 ·
I'm getting them installed 11/01/19...then I can take pics. I had them on my '15 Lincoln MKC....were terrific in snow storms, freezing rain. Never had an issue getting up my steep driveway even through foot or more of fresh snow.

#15 ·
We can't have studded tires in Eastern Ontario. I decided to go with @swederyd's recommendation and get Continental VikingContact 7. It's a new tire from them so a bit of a leap of faith. I've never owned Continental - my last sets were Michelin's X-Ice Xi3 and Xi2, Yokohama's iceGUARD iG52c and Bridgestone's Blizzak WS90 (the worst out IMHO - lasted 2 seasons and then degraded to a point where they were no longer "winter tires").

No steelies. Went with hub-centric alloys. +45mm offset vs 50.5 but that should be fine (I hope!) on XC60.

#16 ·
Vikings for the win!
Agreed, Blizzaks were our least favourite. We had Continentals for first year with our V60 last winter (not Vikings obviously) and found them better than Blizzaks, but not as good as Gislaveds. Particularly on ice.
The new Vikings sound like they are better.

#17 ·
I bought the package from Volvo when I bought my car. Michelin X-Ice on 18" wheels.

Very disappointed in the X-Ice (and I am a Michelin fanboy). I am going to bite the financial bullet and take them off, and replace them with Hakkas.

If anyone near western NY wants a set of X-Ice for cheap, let me know. Probably about 5,000 miles on them.

#19 · (Edited)
First winter with my XC60 R-Design. Decided not to buy a second set of rims right now. But did get tires.

Bought Pirelli Scorpion Winters to fit my Volvo issued 21” wheels.

I’ve always gotten by with all-seasons on my previous vehicles (traded a Jeep GC Summit with Michelin LTX for the Volvo).

I’m happy with the stock Pirelli Scorpion all-seasons so far, but wanted a true winter tire for once. Getting them mounted the week before thanksgiving.

I’m in Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I got a quote from my Volvo dealer for their winter tire package which included rims & non-studded tires (they aren't allowed to sell studded tires because of being located in Toronto). They wanted $3100 + tax (13%) plus I would have to pay my local tire place $20 per tire to have the studs added. I got the studded Haks & rims for half the cost from my local tire dealer. IMO Volvo is way, way overpriced.

#25 ·
you don't want as much rubber as possible, narrower tires, smaller contact patch is the usual way to go.
True dat.

It's a common assumption that the bigger the better for snow tires--I've even seen it in supposedly knowledgeable "how to prep your car for winter" articles--but you don't want your tires riding ON the snow like big rubber snowboards, you want then penetrating down THROUGH the snow. On our Boxster, for example, I fit narrow[er] front-wheel 205 rims for snows on the back in place of the normal wide 225 rear tires.

#26 ·
I have a 2018 XC60 Momentum T5 with 20" wheels and live in Colorado. Last winter the factory Continental "all season" tires that came on it were okay, but I'm thinking I really need snow tires for winter. I didn't feel like my Volvo handled as well as my old Honda CRV. I don't seem to have great control in the snow with the all season tires that came on it. There are so many recommendations on here that are great. I'd like a tire I could use that won't blow my bank account. Which ones are the best for the best price? I appreciate any advice. I have noticed some people on here talking about changing out their wheels (not doing this, but would love to know the reason why) and "offset" numbers too (I don't know what that means.) Thanks!

#27 ·
For me, I opted to not purchase a 2nd set of wheels simply due to cost. I bought winters from Tire Rack and had them shipped to their distribution center near me.

I have a mobile service come out and dismount my all-seasons and mount and balance the winters. Total cost: under $125.99. I bought storage bags on Amazon and keep the tires inside in my storage area.

Reverse operation in the spring. Don't need to even leave the house to change from from all-seasons to winters and then back.

I figure to get 3-4 winters out of my Pirelli Scorpion Winters. I love the look of my factory 21's and I'm saving a lot by not purchasing 19's with winters.

Agree it's not the "best" setup with wide 21's but it works for me. Call me cheap. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
For my T8, do I need rims with a ET50 offset or higher (or lower)? I'm confused about positive and negative offsets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.