Winter tires - what do you have/recommend (rim size and tire size)? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      For my T8 I got a great deal on a new set of 19" Volvo rims on eBay and installed a set of Bridgestone BLIZZAK DM-V2 235/55R19 XL 105T tires.
      I think these are great winter tires, huge improvement in winter conditions compared to stock all season tires.
      Last winter I did 3500miles on them and afterwards I had left 9.1mm thread on the front and 8.5mm on the rear tires (brand new they have 10mm).
      IMG_4945.jpg
      IMG_4651.jpg
      IMG_4652.jpg
      Last edited by cpx974; 11-12-2019 at 12:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

To keep with the Swedish theme of Volvo, I switched from Blizzaks (used on all my other vehicles) to Nokian Hakkapeliittas R3 on the XC60... went with 18" wheels as I like more sidewall on a snow tire...

20191116_132848.jpg20191116_132858.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rhmorris View Post
      To keep with the Swedish theme of Volvo, I switched from Blizzaks (used on all my other vehicles) to Nokian Hakkapeliittas R3 on the XC60... went with 18" wheels as I like more sidewall on a snow tire...
      Well, Nokian is Finnish. Close enough.
      Sent from a device using some software

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by X3JA View Post
      Well, Nokian is Finnish. Close enough.
      Well, I learned something new today... thanks

Hakka R3's on 18's here too. Winter - bring it on!
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

I just put on Nokian WR G4 All Seasons on my XC60(19") I had Hakkas on my V60 (18") and considered swapping them over to the XC60. But did not really want to pay for the wheels to swap. Nokian All Seasons have been great for me for 20 years. I go over a mountain pass every week or two. Plus the Pirellis did not have a snowflake on the sidewall. Which means chain up time.

So now i have the Hakkas to sell & the OEM Pirelli Scorpion zeros to sell.

The owner of the tire chain clued me in to the Nokians a long time ago. I'm a fan now
      Last edited by Scrapr; 11-29-2019 at 10:11 PM.
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Winter tires - what do you have/recommend (rim size and tire size)?

Just put on my winter shoes, just in time for the first potential winter storm of the season - I’ll add a pic tomorrow. I went with Conti Viking Contact7 in a 235/60r18 on my T8 R-Line. No issues with the fit/clearance, so really happy to get into a narrower tire for the winter. I hope the reviews are right, I’ve been all Nokian for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got our first winter mess of all ice and freezing rain here in North East PA and the nokian hakkapeliitta 9 studded tires did great. I live in an area full of curvy mountain roads and it didn't slide or lose grip once.

Thought I'd chime in here since I got the shout-out in the top post:

While not technically snow tires, the 18" BFG KO2s on my XC are 3PMSF rated and handle snowy weekend ski trips here in California chain-free with ease.
      I'll mention also I can really feel the difference in my T8 between normal hybrid drive and continuous AWD mode, the latter tracks through the slippery stuff like it's on rails while the former is okay but a little squirrely.
      Another funny side effect of the hybrid drive, while the XC will feed power to the rear EV axle whenever the front axle loses traction, if in EV mode it will not start the ICE to do the opposite...and this can lead to some occasional unexpected RWD stupidity :-P

If you're curious how loud the BFGs are and how they sound, check out this video:
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

After a big winter storm rolled through yesterday (7” of snow with a little ice for good measure), thought I should give a big thumbs up to my Conti VikingContact 7’s. Wow, what a tire. Make the Michelin X-Ice 3’s I ran in the past seem like all-seasons. Fantastic starts/stops with none/minimal slippage, and phenomenal stopping grip on both snow and ice. Only complaint is the gas mileage dropping 3-4 mpg since installed. But I’ll take that all day long for this kind of performance when it counts. On dry they are fairly quiet, though a little louder than the Michelin’s. Decent handling for a winter tire. Highly recommended for anyone still on the fence with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by random1 View Post
      Here's an article that explains offset. If you change wheel widths, getting the wrong offset has huge effects on handling/steering.
      I've read that article before. What I'm trying to understand is if my OEM wheels are a 51ET offset, should I be looking for rims that are 30-50ET or 50-60ET?
      Look for about 42-55. The calculator on willtheyfit.com is good for showing you how different sets will pan out.

For the same width /dia rim:
      Moving in (e.g. an ET55 rim) will have less clearance to suspension.
      Moving out (ET42) will have more clearance, but if it's *really tight* on diameter, you might rub the fender liner at full lock when turning, particularly when running chains.

Scrub radius: passenger cars come with negative scrub. Moving in (ET55) increases negative scrub, which raises steering loads. At small changes, with power steering, most people won't notice a difference.

Moving out far enough to approach zero scrub makes the steering light, even squirrelly. Positive scrub is often used in race cars, but has some drawbacks in emergency situations (brake failure, tire blowout) for passenger vehicles.
      I don't have any data on how much negative an xc60 has, but tire rack is offering selections in the ET42 range, so I'd assume that's still safely negative.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2