Winter tires - what do you have/recommend (rim size and tire size)?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi. I am a soon-to-be 2019 XC60 T6 R-Design owner. It comes with 21" wheels but to survive harsh Canadian winter (eastern Ontario, Canada), I will need as much rubber as possible.

I scanned the forum and there were a couple of mentions of someone sporting 18" MSI rim with 255/55-18 AT rubber. What about winter? What do you guys use that's a perfect fit and doesn't affect the electronics (pilot assist, etc.)?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I haven't done a winter in mine yet, but last few winters in my other/previous cars, I've been going with Nokian Hakkapeliittas, they're awesome, I'll be getting them for my XC60
      But also, you don't want as much rubber as possible, narrower tires, smaller contact patch is the usual way to go. I find Nokians (and Blizzaks for that matter) to be so good that I've been going with the same size as my regular tires.

I am most concerned with finding the right rim size. The various rims I see have offsets of 45 or 42 while I think official offset is 50.5 on 18" (https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volvo/xc60/2019/). Basically, looking for a perfect fit in 18" or 19" size.
      Last edited by vlvownr; 10-24-2019 at 03:39 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

We are also in Eastern Ontario. (Ottawa) remembering last winter...We are getting Fast titanium Switch wheels, size 18 x8 5-108, mounting Continental Vikings Winter 7 235/60R18s.

Recommended by our trusted tire guy. We have had Gislaveds in the past and they were excellent, Continental owns Gislaved apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by swederyd View Post
      We are also in Eastern Ontario. (Ottawa) remembering last winter...We are getting Fast titanium Switch wheels, size 18 x8 5-108, mounting Continental Vikings Winter 7 235/60R18s.

Recommended by our trusted tire guy. We have had Gislaveds in the past and they were excellent, Continental owns Gislaved apparently.
      Nice combo. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay/where did you get them in Ottawa?

$1862 taxes in. From Sipan Tires on Industrial.

I run Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 SUV's in the factory 19" size: 235/55 R19.
      I have them on a set of 19" R-Design Volvo Rims, they were new take-offs i picked up for $200.00 each.

Got me through a bad Minnesota winter last year with no problems.

I have ordered Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 studded 225/65R17 tires plus plain black rims.....$1566 installed tax included. I'm in Ontario.
      2019 XC60 Momentum T6 AWD
      Crystal White with black interior & charcoal headliner
      Climate Pkg, Vision Pkg, Convenience Pkg

The only thing that would make this thread better are photos.
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

I normally go with a recommendation from tirerack.com and I'm happy with my Vredestein Quatrac 5 XL tires.
      But they are on my stock 19" wheels.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Blizzard DM-V2 on 18Ē black steelies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
      I have ordered Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 studded 225/65R17 tires plus plain black rims.....$1566 installed tax included. I'm in Ontario.
      Studded Hakkas = Unstoppable, you'll never be stranded anywhere!

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9, studded, 235/55 R19
      Sent from a device using some software

I'm getting them installed 11/01/19...then I can take pics. I had them on my '15 Lincoln MKC....were terrific in snow storms, freezing rain. Never had an issue getting up my steep driveway even through foot or more of fresh snow.

We can't have studded tires in Eastern Ontario. I decided to go with @swederyd's recommendation and get Continental VikingContact 7. It's a new tire from them so a bit of a leap of faith. I've never owned Continental - my last sets were Michelin's X-Ice Xi3 and Xi2, Yokohama's iceGUARD iG52c and Bridgestone's Blizzak WS90 (the worst out IMHO - lasted 2 seasons and then degraded to a point where they were no longer "winter tires").

No steelies. Went with hub-centric alloys. +45mm offset vs 50.5 but that should be fine (I hope!) on XC60.

Vikings for the win!
      Agreed, Blizzaks were our least favourite. We had Continentals for first year with our V60 last winter (not Vikings obviously) and found them better than Blizzaks, but not as good as Gislaveds. Particularly on ice.
      The new Vikings sound like they are better.

I bought the package from Volvo when I bought my car. Michelin X-Ice on 18" wheels.

Very disappointed in the X-Ice (and I am a Michelin fanboy). I am going to bite the financial bullet and take them off, and replace them with Hakkas.

If anyone near western NY wants a set of X-Ice for cheap, let me know. Probably about 5,000 miles on them.
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV (Studded) 255/45R20 105T XL

those are what I just picked up for my Xc60. I try to run nokian's on all of my cars.

First winter with my XC60 R-Design. Decided not to buy a second set of rims right now. But did get tires.

Bought Pirelli Scorpion Winters to fit my Volvo issued 21Ē wheels.

Iíve always gotten by with all-seasons on my previous vehicles (traded a Jeep GC Summit with Michelin LTX for the Volvo).

Iím happy with the stock Pirelli Scorpion all-seasons so far, but wanted a true winter tire for once. Getting them mounted the week before thanksgiving.

Iím in Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by coachlange; 10-26-2019 at 12:54 PM.
      2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

I got a quote from my Volvo dealer for their winter tire package which included rims & non-studded tires (they aren't allowed to sell studded tires because of being located in Toronto). They wanted $3100 + tax (13%) plus I would have to pay my local tire place $20 per tire to have the studs added. I got the studded Haks & rims for half the cost from my local tire dealer. IMO Volvo is way, way overpriced.

@countryguy was that for 21"?

Quote Originally Posted by vlvownr View Post
      @countryguy was that for 21"?
      I am getting 17".

Continental Viking 7s are on. Will see how they perform when the snow and ice arrive.
      Last edited by swederyd; 10-28-2019 at 02:17 PM.

18'' Pirelli 235 45 R 18 Pirelli Sottozero 2

Volvo winterset with rims for 1.500 euro

Sent from my smartphone using Tapatalk

you don't want as much rubber as possible, narrower tires, smaller contact patch is the usual way to go.
      True dat.

It's a common assumption that the bigger the better for snow tires--I've even seen it in supposedly knowledgeable "how to prep your car for winter" articles--but you don't want your tires riding ON the snow like big rubber snowboards, you want then penetrating down THROUGH the snow. On our Boxster, for example, I fit narrow[er] front-wheel 205 rims for snows on the back in place of the normal wide 225 rear tires.

I have a 2018 XC60 Momentum T5 with 20" wheels and live in Colorado. Last winter the factory Continental "all season" tires that came on it were okay, but I'm thinking I really need snow tires for winter. I didn't feel like my Volvo handled as well as my old Honda CRV. I don't seem to have great control in the snow with the all season tires that came on it. There are so many recommendations on here that are great. I'd like a tire I could use that won't blow my bank account. Which ones are the best for the best price? I appreciate any advice. I have noticed some people on here talking about changing out their wheels (not doing this, but would love to know the reason why) and "offset" numbers too (I don't know what that means.) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Soniahaxton View Post
      I have a 2018 XC60 Momentum T5 with 20" wheels and live in Colorado. Last winter the factory Continental "all season" tires that came on it were okay, but I'm thinking I really need snow tires for winter. I didn't feel like my Volvo handled as well as my old Honda CRV. I don't seem to have great control in the snow with the all season tires that came on it. There are so many recommendations on here that are great. I'd like a tire I could use that won't blow my bank account. Which ones are the best for the best price? I appreciate any advice. I have noticed some people on here talking about changing out their wheels (not doing this, but would love to know the reason why) and "offset" numbers too (I don't know what that means.) Thanks!
      For me, I opted to not purchase a 2nd set of wheels simply due to cost. I bought winters from Tire Rack and had them shipped to their distribution center near me.

I have a mobile service come out and dismount my all-seasons and mount and balance the winters. Total cost: under $125.99. I bought storage bags on Amazon and keep the tires inside in my storage area.

Reverse operation in the spring. Donít need to even leave the house to change from from all-seasons to winters and then back.

I figure to get 3-4 winters out of my Pirelli Scorpion Winters. I love the look of my factory 21ís and Iím saving a lot by not purchasing 19ís with winters.

Agree itís not the ďbestĒ setup with wide 21ís but it works for me. Call me cheap.

2018 XC60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension | 21" Wheels | Polestar

I went for the Volvo Winter Tire Kit 18". 235/ 60 R18 Michelin Lattitude X-Ice Xi2

They are okay for how I drive.

For my T8, do I need rims with a ET50 offset or higher (or lower)? I'm confused about positive and negative offsets.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

. I have noticed some people on here talking about changing out their wheels (not doing this, but would love to know the reason why)
      https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle36859371/

soniahaxton....I also live in Colorado and I have 2 sets of wheels, 1 with all season and 1 with Blizzaks.
      If I were to do one set of wheels I would run Nokian WR tires all year round.

Tires: you'll find lots of suggestions here (and other car message boards). I lived in CO years ago, skiing literally every weekend, and then some. I found almost any dedicated snow tire to be good enough out there. If you get more hardpacked snow and ice, then you want something with those silica compounds like Blizzaks, Nokian Hakka(my favorite), etc.

If you lease a car for 3yrs or whatever, just mounting/remounting tires is fine, and possibly cheaper than buying a 2nd set of wheels, depending on the wheel choice, obviously. If you tend to keep cars a long time, like I typically do, a second set of wheels/tires is easier/cheaper. I had an MB E320 wagon for 20yrs, 2 sets of wheels from day one. Definitely cheaper and easier over that period of time.

Here's an article that explains offset. If you change wheel widths, getting the wrong offset has huge effects on handling/steering.

Quote Originally Posted by random1 View Post
      Here's an article that explains offset. If you change wheel widths, getting the wrong offset has huge effects on handling/steering.
      I've read that article before. What I'm trying to understand is if my OEM wheels are a 51ET offset, should I be looking for rims that are 30-50ET or 50-60ET?
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
      I am getting 17".
      The tire place was crazy busy today because we had our first snowfall last night. Even with having an appointment, I still ended up being there for 3.5 hours. The tire store had recommended 17" rims with the Nokian Hak 9 studded tires so that's what I ordered in Sept. However the 17" rims would NOT fit because the brake calipers were larger on the 2019 XC60. Fortunately they had 18" rims but did not have the Hak 9 studded tires to fit. I ended up with Nordman 7 studded 235/60R18. The sales guy said that Nordman are still made by Nokia, have fewer studs, are less expensive and are quieter than the Hak 9s which I found to be true driving home. When I was about to leave I noticed that one of the plastic lug nut covers was missing. I checked with the tire guy and seems the technician lost it while changing the tires. They have ordered another one.

Finally found some used 18 inch Momentum wheels on eBay (part number 31471435). Mounted 235/60/R18 Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI2 winter tires on them for snowy months.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast