BLIS light stays on
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BLIS light stays on

Driver side stays on even after adjacent car is long gone. After several more seconds it goes out. I haven't timed exactly how long. Salesman said maybe catching some reflection. Psgr side ok. Others have same thing and what was diagnosis?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The computer is smarter than you, don't even try to use your brain.

Or, maybe try turning your head and checking your blind spot like we were taught decades ago in drivers........education. Relying more on computers to think for us eliminates critical thinking skills which makes humans easier to control. The threat of artificial "intelligence" becoming your new dictator is not as far fetched as naive people would like to believe.
      Geo-political oracle sent to fight Satan and his minions. Keep calm and boycott the NWO. "We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false". - william casey CIA Director 1981

Maybe reduce your tuna consumption too. Tuna contains mercury which when consumed in large amounts will deteriorate the brain's ability to fire on all cylinders so to speak, as the brain is comprised of carbon, copper, and water. Mercury is in direct conflict with these minerals and is one of the items which contributes to "Alzheimer's", which is basically another fancy label for brain damage.
      Geo-political oracle sent to fight Satan and his minions. Keep calm and boycott the NWO. "We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false". - william casey CIA Director 1981

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Is that an optical or radar-based BLIS? From your description I assume optical. Mine will give false positives based on contrasty things it sees, but I've never experienced the lag that you describe.

I definitely get false positives (and false negatives) with the optical camera based BLIS on my 2012. The false positives tend to happen in the rain or at night.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Yep, lots of false positives in the rain for me as well... also occasionally in very heavy rain I will get the light stay on and a a “camera blocked’ warning message one side or the other... wiping the lens clear never fixes it, shutting off/restarting BLIS doesn’t help, but so far has always gone away after stopping and restarting the car..
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

You can always shut if off via menu.

The computer is smarter than you, don't even try to use your brain.

Or, maybe try turning your head and checking your blind spot like we were taught decades ago in drivers........education. Relying more on computers to think for us eliminates critical thinking skills which makes humans easier to control. The threat of artificial "intelligence" becoming your new dictator is not as far fetched as naive people would like to believe.

Maybe reduce your tuna consumption too. Tuna contains mercury which when consumed in large amounts will deteriorate the brain's ability to fire on all cylinders so to speak, as the brain is comprised of carbon, copper, and water. Mercury is in direct conflict with these minerals and is one of the items which contributes to "Alzheimer's", which is basically another fancy label for brain damage.

Wow. That was...interesting.
      2015.5 V60
      2008 C30 R Design - SOLD
      1998 V70 T5 Manual - SOLD
      1987 Chevy El Camino
      1985 Nissan 720

It takes all kinds...

Maybe they left the gate open at the XC90 thread again...........

So anyways back on topic. I find that sometimes my Blis will be triggered correctly by a car in my blind spot and start flashing but after the car has passed it will remain flashing and the cluster shows me a blis error message at which point I have to turn it (blis) off to stop the flashing. It wont work again until I have restarted the car but then it seems to be back to normal until the next random time this happens.
      Last edited by thezoneS60; 10-30-2019 at 03:52 AM.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Exhaust
      2012 XC90 3.2 R-Design - Ice White

BLIS is one option even if I had I would still turn my head and look. It's a split second that could save my life. No way I trust technology on that. Not that Elon Musk would agree with me, he's thinking we need to colonize Mars. Which brings to mind Elton's Rocket Man..."I miss the Earth so much ....I miss my wife" "Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids...in fact it's cold as hell..."
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

I look if the BLIS light is off. If it's on, I accept its warning and delay the lane change.

And remember, BLIS is the incorrect abbreviation.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      BLIS is one option even if I had I would still turn my head and look. It's a split second that could save my life. No way I trust technology on that.
      I agree with you I don't actually rely on it by itself but its in my car and I have to manually turn it off every time I start the car to get rid of it. Now when it works fine it doesn't bother me you use it in conjunction with your own senses just like the adaptive cruise control, it takes time to include these systems with your own senses because you still have to watch the road but you get used to them.

I think the purposes of this thread is to discuss BLIS failure which can be annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by vroomr View Post
      And remember, BLIS is the incorrect abbreviation.
      Correct but BSIS is annoying to say.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by thezoneS60 View Post
      Maybe they left the gate open at the XC90 thread again...........

So anyways back on topic. I find that sometimes my Blis will be triggered correctly by a car in my blind spot and start flashing but after the car has passed it will remain flashing and the cluster shows me a blis error message at which point I have to turn it (blis) off to stop the flashing. It wont work again until I have restarted the car but then it seems to be back to normal until the next random time this happens.
      You most likely have a failing camera. Heavy rain will trigger false warnings but the flashing is a fault. There are some models have some software upgrades but I've seen many a failed camera including my own car but not worth fixing since I can turn my head.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

All this talk of turning heads...

Just set your mirrors correctly! You'll never need to turn your head or rely on BLIS ever again.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      All this talk of turning heads...

Just set your mirrors correctly! You'll never need to turn your head or rely on BLIS ever again.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5
      Wish I could up-vote this. My grandfather was a trucker and one of the first things he did when I was learning to drive was teach me how to set the mirrors properly - just like your link describes. Done right, cars pass smoothly from the center rear view, to the side mirrors, and then into peripheral vision with no gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Wish I could up-vote this. My grandfather was a trucker and one of the first things he did when I was learning to drive was teach me how to set the mirrors properly - just like your link describes. Done right, cars pass smoothly from the center rear view, to the side mirrors, and then into peripheral vision with no gaps.
      Agree, most people have them set so you can see down the side of the car and behind.....useless.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisz View Post
      It takes all kinds...
      Yeah, all kinds of stupid people to rely so heavily on computers to do everything for them. It's probably from all the tuna (mercury) that Tunahoagie ingests.

People drove cars for decades successfully without a computer to tell them if there was a vehicle in their blind spot. These people simply turned their head for a second to check their blind spot. Sounds simple because it is.

BLIS is one option even if I had I would still turn my head and look. It's a split second that could save my life. No way I trust technology on that. Not that Elon Musk would agree with me, he's thinking we need to colonize Mars. Which brings to mind Elton's Rocket Man..."I miss the Earth so much ....I miss my wife" "Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids...in fact it's cold as hell..."
      Mars has already been colonized, but the small minded won't be able to comprehend. See Andrew Basiago.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian3.2 View Post
      Mars has already been colonized, but the small minded won't be able to comprehend. See Andrew Basiago.
      Perhaps the Martians can shed some light on my BLIS issues.

As was mentioned, you may have a failing camera. Fault codes would need to be read with VIDA to narrow it down though.

Yeah, all kinds of stupid people to rely so heavily on computers to do everything for them. ...
      Yeah, which is why you cannot leave your bedroom because computers are in virtually everything made in the world today.

Our V60 BLIS had many false positives, but was still worth having.

The XC40 iteration is much better, with more accuracy and different flash rates and color depending on what is happening in the lane next to you.

BLIS is a time saver as you don’t need to check your mirrors if it is active. So you can focus on the road ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

Saw some of his video on YouTube, still wondering if people are actually risking their lives living there. I’ll take our environment on Earth..thank you

But I do agree with you on turning my head rather than believing my mirrors (which other family members may have adjusted) or depending on a light. Why not turn that split second ?

But I do agree with you on turning my head rather than believing my mirrors (which other family members may have adjusted) or depending on a light. Why not turn that split second ?
      Turning your head requires taking your eyes off of what's in front of you and is itself a risk. It is much better to verify that your mirrors are correctly adjusted when you first get into the car rather than just hoping other drivers haven't adjusted them. Overall, properly adjusted mirrors are the safest option because they require the least amount of attention taken away from the road in front of the car.

As for the light, I have difficulty seeing why having an additional fallback warning is a bad idea. It's not there to be depended upon, but rather as an additional tool.

Agreed - I've never initiated a lane change based on a clear signal from BLIS, but there's been a couple of times in the 60k or so miles that I've had it that I've stopped what I was doing on account of the light being on... most memorable was a dark car with no lights on at dusk passing me on the inside at very high speed, would have been a very nasty mess had I not stopped because of the BLIS light
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Turning your head requires taking your eyes off of what's in front of you and is itself a risk. It is much better to verify that your mirrors are correctly adjusted when you first get into the car rather than just hoping other drivers haven't adjusted them. Overall, properly adjusted mirrors are the safest option because they require the least amount of attention taken away from the road in front of the car.

As for the light, I have difficulty seeing why having an additional fallback warning is a bad idea. It's not there to be depended upon, but rather as an additional tool.
      Thanks, but at this point you're trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Turning my head on a lane change is instinct, ingrained. I respect yours and Rico's mirror setting procedures, but again I have been doing this for over 30 years. Again it doesn't make my way correct, it's what works for me. Look, signal, look again.

I have noticed how most drivers don't look before they first turn on their signal light. I keep a safe distance from the car in front of me to allow for my lane change and always gradually merge into the lane rather than abruptly just in the event I side-swipe somebody it will be minimal.

Turning your head is old school and takes your eyes off the road, that's why we have mirrors. Cant imagine an F1 driver turning their head at 200mph to see if someone is about to pass them, no, they use their mirrors.

Thanks, but at this point you're trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Turning my head on a lane change is instinct, ingrained. I respect yours and Rico's mirror setting procedures, but again I have been doing this for over 30 years.
      The method of setting my mirrors like p.rico described was taught to me by my grandfather, who was a truck driver starting in the late 1940's after he got home from WWII. It's not exactly a "new" trick.

Your way may well be your habit, but it's a bad one and it's been outdated for close to a century. At the very least, please refrain from recommending it to others.

Quote Originally Posted by thezoneS60 View Post
      Turning your head is old school and takes your eyes off the road, that's why we have mirrors. Cant imagine an F1 driver turning their head at 200mph to see if someone is about to pass them, no, they use their mirrors.
      Although I agree the old shoulder check may be outdated and if the mirrors are set properly you may not have to. Here in Canada when you take your drivers test, if you don't shoulder check, you fail, regardless of the mirror settings, technology on the car, or the speed you are doing.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

So what we need is the technology to automatically set the mirrors at optimum position for any given driver
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      So what we need is the technology to automatically set the mirrors at optimum position for any given driver
      Neat idea!

(Snicker)
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

I'm sure there is an engineer somewhere working on this. And as far as the shoulder check, it was taught in driver's ed in the 80s. The outside side mirrors can be adjusted by pranksters where I parallel park. Sometimes they get blurry from rain or ice. My S60s do not have the side mirror defrosters, my old 2009 Jetta did..disappointing.

I'm sure there is an engineer somewhere working on this. And as far as the shoulder check, it was taught in driver's ed in the 80s. The outside side mirrors can be adjusted by pranksters where I parallel park. Sometimes they get blurry from rain or ice. My S60s do not have the side mirror defrosters, my old 2009 Jetta did..disappointing.
      Yes, it would be great if you sat in the car, adjusted the mirrors to just see the side of the car and then hit "set" where the car would automatically adjust to compensate for the blind spot.

Your S60 doesn't have heated mirrors? I thought was a default in cars in the Northern states areas like NJ and Canada. Mine are activated when I hit the rear defrost button.
      In the driveway: 2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate/Convenience Packages | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon | iPd Skid Plate | TFT DIM upgrade (mine), ... Former - 2006 S40 2.4i M56
      2009 Acura RDX & 1995 Celica GT Convertible (wife), 2017 GMC Sierra SLE | Elevation Edition | Crew Cab (son)

Blis was so unreliable on my xc60 .. too many false positives .. and my side mirrors could never be adjusted properly to eliminate the blindspots .. Purchasing the little add on blind spot mirrors you stick on the corner of the mirrors looked awful to me.. So I purchased some convex side mirrors from Europe and replaced the flat ones on my car .. properly adjusted I now have no blindspots .. a simple glance in the side mirror shows me as much as turning my head..
      Here's link to a version that fits the s60

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...-left/1071956/

Highly recommended

I believe you missed the joke. You can already do this on our cars after you set the memory for the seat to the button (1, 2, or 3) of your choice. The memory setting sets your seat position and your mirror positions.

Your mirrors are heated. You have to press the rear defroster button for the heaters to work. It is not automatic.
      Last edited by p.rico; 11-14-2019 at 10:47 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast