Seeking Opinions: Is Volvo On Call worth it?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Seeking Opinions: Is Volvo On Call worth it?

Hey all,

I vaguely remembered the sales guy telling me that my S90 had some phone enabled features, like remote starting and climate pre-conditioning. I am not a huge user of features like these, so it took me a couple of months before I yesterday started looking into it.

It seems as if they require the Volvo On Call app. I started setting it up, but it required a PIN i did not have, so the app prompted me to press the On Call button (I didn't even realize it was there) and talk to customer service, which I did.

After an ominous warning that I was giving On Call access to my vehicle data (I hate data sharing) I got to speak to a representative.

Turns out On Call requires a subscription, and it isn't cheap...

On Call.jpg

I'm actually kind of astonished that I handed over over $40k and they are going to nickel and dime me over remote services, which already use a data sim I am paying for through my cellphone plan.

All that said, Volvo has been absolutely terrible about publishing the details regarding what On Call actually does.

From my googling, it seems as if it has remote starting and climate pre-conditioining (marginally useful IMHO) and some sort of dumb Concierge service which I would never use.

Does it have any other features that would make it worthwhile? Because at this price and the features I know about I'd probably be paying $25 per time I used the thing, and that's just not worth it.

Appreciate any opinions!

--Matt

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

To each their own, I find it useful for the remote start and ability to see where the car is when you park it and so forth.
      |2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country| - Crystal White/Blond Interior - Luxury Package - Convenience Package - HUD - B&O - Premium Air Suspension - Polestar Optimised

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Hey all,

I vaguely remembered the sales guy telling me that my S90 had some phone enabled features, like remote starting and climate pre-conditioning. I am not a huge user of features like these, so it took me a couple of months before I yesterday started looking into it.

It seems as if they require the Volvo On Call app. I started setting it up, but it required a PIN i did not have, so the app prompted me to press the On Call button (I didn't even realize it was there) and talk to customer service, which I did.

After an ominous warning that I was giving On Call access to my vehicle data (I hate data sharing) I got to speak to a representative.

On Call.jpg

I'm actually kind of astonished that I handed over over $40k and they are going to nickel and dime me over remote services, which already use a data sim I am paying for through my cellphone plan.

All that said, Volvo has been absolutely terrible about publishing the details regarding what On Call actually does.

From my googling, it seems as if it has remote starting and climate pre-conditioining (marginally useful IMHO) and some sort of dumb Concierge service which I would never use.

Does it have any other features that would make it worthwhile? Because at this price and the features I know about I'd probably be paying $25 per time I used the thing, and that's just not worth it.

Appreciate any opinions!

--Matt
      I remember when we bought our 2018 V90 CC. It came with a free subscription for ? months.
      I asked my wife if she wanted it - she asked why and what does it do. I told her and she said no.
      For what it does and cost - it's a "oh, look at that" waste of money.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

did you check your vin to see status of volvo on call? if you bought your car a few months ago, it should have come with 4 years of VOC. they did change it earlier this year from 6 month trial. pm me your vin i can check against volvo site to see subscription trial period

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJB84 View Post
      To each their own, I find it useful for the remote start and ability to see where the car is when you park it and so forth.
      Ditto on my end. 4 years included with purchase and i would renew. I like having the ability to track the vehicle similar, lock/unlock from app. Just another convenience that I will probably pay for afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

I purchased longest plan available and used a discount coupon too. Love this feature and it's not fall yet. I use remote start all the time - let me precondition the vehicle in the morning or after work.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      I purchased longest plan available and used a discount coupon too. Love this feature and it's not fall yet. I use remote start all the time - let me precondition the vehicle in the morning or after work.
      . Since it’s available I also turn on AC when I leave the office to ensure the wagon be cool upon arrival. I guess we be spoiled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

Amazon and Volvo provide VOC thru the amazon key app. It allows Amazon to deliver to your car. I have it for the free VOC program
      Her HHI car - 2010 C70 T5 Ice White w/ off-black interior
      His - 2015.5 XC60 Bright Silver, T6 Platinum w/ off-black interior now with Polestar!
      Hers - 2017 XC60 Magic Blue w/ blond interior, T5 Dynamic
      For Fun - 1992 NA 300ZX lightly modified

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post

--Matt
      The VoC subscription is free for the first four years of Vehicle ownership. You do not have to pay for anything currently.

I use my VoC app almost daily to condition the climate in the fall and winters (have already started using it this season) because of the weather in MI.

I also occasionally use it for keeping track of my miles driven per day on long road-trips.

I also use it to track my Vehicle when it is at the dealer's, overnight to check what it's up to.

I have also used it multiple times to send destination data to my Sensus Maps, so by the time I'm in my vehicle, the destination is received, and I can easily navigate to the place instead of fiddling around in the Vehicle.

Apart from that, I have used the VoC button inside the car once in my 16 months of Vehicle ownership. When my gas lid wouldn't open at the gas station. The representative on the phone advised me to lock and then unlock the car twice with the key, and it opened then. Now, even though it sounds like a simple fix, if it was not for the VoC, I would have been stranded for some time, 500 miles away from home on a cold night at a (soon to close) gas station, trying to pry the lid out and google the Volvo helpline number with shi+ty 2G network.

Your needs may vary, but I would rather have the membership and not use it than not be able to pre-condition the vehicle or be stranded clueless somewhere and wish I had hotline access to Volvo.

It also depends on how long you plan to own your vehicle. A lease? Short-Term ownership? Long-Term ownership? Drive it till it falls apart like a rusted bowl? I"m planning on the last option, so I see myself spending the extra $10/month on the 60-month extension once my current membership expires in mid-June, 2022.
      Last edited by Volvolic; 10-26-2019 at 07:00 PM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

VOC only came 4 years with cars from 2018 and up 2017 only got 1 year i think. So what i did with my wifes 2017 s60 i called volvo and told them that this not right and they should add 3 more years for me free and they did. So if you had only for year or less call volvo 90% at a time they will extended for you.
      Last edited by Pauls90; 10-28-2019 at 08:33 AM.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

I had it for a year on both cars and never used it so did not renew. All of the services seemed novel but of little use to me.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

My wife drives the car but I use it every day, and don't need to call wife to know where she is. Will be same when some day my kids drive it.

So, definitely will renew it.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 10-27-2019 at 06:57 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      did you check your vin to see status of volvo on call? if you bought your car a few months ago, it should have come with 4 years of VOC. they did change it earlier this year from 6 month trial. pm me your vin i can check against volvo site to see subscription trial period
      Quote Originally Posted by walt2810 View Post
      Ditto on my end. 4 years included with purchase and i would renew. I like having the ability to track the vehicle similar, lock/unlock from app. Just another convenience that I will probably pay for afterwards.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      The VoC subscription is free for the first four years of Vehicle ownership. You do not have to pay for anything currently.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      VOC only came 4 years with cars from 2018 and up 2017 only got 1 year i think. So what i did what my wifes 2017 s60 i called volvo and told them that this not right and they should add 3 more years for me free and they did. So if you had only for year or less call volvo 90% at a time they will extended for you.

Does this apply to CPO purchases as well?

Mine is a 2017, and I bought it as a CPO car in September. The guy on the on-call phone line said it was expired. When I looked it up, it said it expired in March 2017. Was the dealer supposed to renew it for me for 4 years when I bought the car? They may just have forgotten?

https://cpo.volvocars.us/enus/volvo-...5&gclsrc=3p.ds

It looks like according to the CPO website that you were supposed to receive a 1 year subscription with your Certified by Volvo car. I'd call the dealer.

Volvo changed it's VOC policies along the way like Pauls90 indicated.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Mine (2018 S90) came with four years included. Originally, I only saw it as a remote start and was annoyed that they would eventually make remote start a subscription (after 11 years of owning a GM with a factory remote start on the fob). In truth, I'm still annoyed about the lack of fob-based remote start as I find the app sluggish to respond. But, the other features (mainly the driving journal for me - helps me keep track of fuel usage and analyze which drive modes are better for different conditions/routes) make the subscription more appealing. I'm still a long way from deciding whether or not to extend when my trial is up (only had the car a few months) but it's gone from "no way" to "perhaps I'll consider". I'll get back to you after my first Canadian winter (re: remote start).

Would not buy a Volvo without it. Remote start and climate control plus driving journal is essential for daily use, especially if you either live in hot or cold climate.

yes cpo gets 1 year but i would call dealer to get that year and than after year almost up i would call up volvo direct and would ask for 1 or 2 years more
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

I love Volvo OnCall. My favorite feature is sending destinations from my phone to the car. Preconditioning is pretty slick too. It was real nice to enter a warmed up car.

I bought a 2019 CPO in June, and my VoC expires in Feb 2023.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I love Volvo OnCall. My favorite feature is sending destinations from my phone to the car. Preconditioning is pretty slick too. It was real nice to enter a warmed up car.

I bought a 2019 CPO in June, and my VoC expires in Feb 2023.
      If you bought your Volvo during the recent CPO event they had over the summer, they were running a promotion with 3 years of free VOC. My understanding is the standard offer is 1 year with a CPO. My XC70 was never registered with it so I ended up getting 1-1/2 years for some reason. Sending destinations to the Sensus Navigation is is definitely a great feature - especially with pre-SPA cars that don't feature a touchscreen. The remote start and lock/unlock features in addition make it a worthwhile investment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ean10775 View Post
      If you bought your Volvo during the recent CPO event they had over the summer, they were running a promotion with 3 years of free VOC. My understanding is the standard offer is 1 year with a CPO. My XC70 was never registered with it so I ended up getting 1-1/2 years for some reason. Sending destinations to the Sensus Navigation is is definitely a great feature - especially with pre-SPA cars that don't feature a touchscreen. The remote start and lock/unlock features in addition make it a worthwhile investment for me.
      I don't think mine was a part of that promotion period. I got my XC60 about a month before that started.
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |

I don't think mine was a part of that promotion period. I got my XC60 about a month before that started.
      Call and respectfully ask for it. Tell them that had you known you would have waited.......I did that with my 2017, which originally came with 1 year, and they gladly added on 3 years....its worth a shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      Call and respectfully ask for it. Tell them that had you known you would have waited.......I did that with my 2017, which originally came with 1 year, and they gladly added on 3 years....its worth a shot

I'm already covered until March 2023. Do you really think they'll just add on 3 more years? That'd be a pretty sweet trick!

If you're someone who uses remote start, the 60-month is well worth it for a car you'll keep 5 years. Remote start plus taxes usually hits near $600, and VOC provides a bit more.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

I'm already covered until March 2023. Do you really think they'll just add on 3 more years? That'd be a pretty sweet trick!
      I thought you only got 1 year; I don’t think they will take it out past 2023

”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      I thought you only got 1 year; I don’t think they will take it out past 2023

Nah, that was someone else.

Somewhat related question to Volvo On Call. We will be getting out v60 soon but after downloading the app and opening it up, I get a message saying that my phone is rooted. The only explanation I have is that because its a Huawei, it doesnt work well with VOC. Is anyone else with a Huawei getting this message?
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

If you don't get any answers, it won't surprise me. Huawei phones are note particularly popular in the US.

However, you should be concerned if you are seeing that message. It is intended to indicate that someone has opened up root access to your Android phone and it could be a security risk. You may have a virus, spyware, or something of the sort. People often root their own phones to enable special customization, but if you did not root it yourself I would be worried about possible malware.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

To me the cost is much too high for the value you get from the subscription.

One thing that does bother me is the hotspot WiFi feature on my 2016 V60. I can not log into any spot unless I have the password. Say what? Most every, every WiFi access in the public is open access (no password). So that function that I was kind of excited about is worthless. Maybe it has been changed on newer models?

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      I remember when we bought our 2018 V90 CC. It came with a free subscription for ? months.
      I asked my wife if she wanted it - she asked why and what does it do. I told her and she said no.
      For what it does and cost - it's a "oh, look at that" waste of money.

Can you tell me what number you called?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      VOC only came 4 years with cars from 2018 and up 2017 only got 1 year i think. So what i did with my wifes 2017 s60 i called volvo and told them that this not right and they should add 3 more years for me free and they did. So if you had only for year or less call volvo 90% at a time they will extended for you.
      I have a 2017 as well and have not renewed but I'd like to try your method. Can you just tell me what number you called? Thanks Harry ([email protected])

I'm assuming Volvo on Call is similar to GM's On Star, which among other things would send a signal to an operator if an airbag is deployed. Several years ago, one of the contributors to the Cadillac forum related that he was traveling down a fairly deserted road at night when to avoid a deer, he swerved, lost control and ended off the road against a tree. Air bags deployed and OnStar called. He was trapped in the vehicle. They sent emergency responders to the car's location and got him and his passenger out. Sold me on OnStar....and since Volvo on Call will do the same, sold me on them. I consider it an insurance policy, especially since driving around Maine, there are LOTS of roads where I can travel for 30 minutes or more and not see another vehicle.

I believe some of the posters are conflating Volvo On Call and Volvo Roadside Assistance. From what I understand (and I could be wrong), Volvo On Call gives one the mobile app (with all the stuff like remote start, lock/unlock doors, send to car, driving journal, car info, car location, etc.) and security services (stolen vehicle tracking, remote VOC operator door unlock, immobilization, etc.) as well as the safety services of Roadside Assistance. VOC is, of course, a subscription service with various complimentary periods based on the model year of the vehicle. Roadside Assistance is a complimentary service lasting the entire period of the vehicle's warranty (it can also be purchased after the vehicle warranty expires for about $90/yr. for up 2 vehicles - the 2nd does not have to be a Volvo) and includes all the AAA-type roadside breakdown services. The SOS button will function without a VOC subscription and will connect one to a VOC emergency operator for accident/emergency services (e.g., police, ambulance, etc.). The SOS system will also automatically be engaged if an airbag deploys or the seatbelt pre-tensioners are activated. VOC allows direct access to the roadside assistant services through the On Call button as well the mobile app. Volvo Roadside Assistance can only be accessed through an 800 number.
      Last edited by Suigeneris; 10-31-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Not so much in summer, but winter pre warm, nice. I have a ~10 minute walk to the car from the train.
      I occasionally send destinations to the nav, but mostly I use goog. I find it more accurate and faster.
      Sensus, in general, in kind of slow, especially as the weather gets colder and the CPU has other things to look at.
      In cooler, temps <40ºF, I get in, plug in the phone (for music as well), start and attempt to switch to Eco mode before backing up. All that sometimes take a minute for Sensus to accomplish.

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements