Car failed to restart during stop/start
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I had the most unpleasant experience to date happen last night in this car. I was on my way home with dinner and came to a busy 4 way stop near my house. The engine cut, like it always does, when I came to a stop and waited for my turn. My turn came, took my foot off the brake and hit the gas- nothing. Looked down and a message was coming from the top-center of the drivers screen saying something about failing to restart and needing to shift and restart. Usually I hear the engine restart, but I had the stereo pretty cranked, which I usually donít.

So then, in a panic I shifted to park and tried restarting- all the startup/idiot lights were coming on and my gauges were going all the way up and back down, but the car wasnít even cranking. At this point I had a chorus of horns behind me- put the flashers on. Tried two more times and it finally started and I just took off and drove home. I got no error messages and the damn stop/start system was still active as soon as I got the engine running again. And every time I had tried starting it, before it cranked, all these different messages from the top-center of the screen kept popping up.

I let it stop the engine a couple times when I got back to my driveway and it fired right up like usual.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Iím seeing some examples in the XC90 forum and it seems like it might be related to a bad battery, or of course, software. But the posts Iím seeing there are from a couple years ago and I would hope the software has been figured out across the fleet at this point. This car already has 2 unresolvable problems; it doesnít need a 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by dpothier; 10-27-2019 at 07:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      I had the most unpleasant experience to date happen last night in this car. I was on my way home with dinner and came to a busy 4 way stop near my house. The engine cut, like it always does, when I came to a stop and waited for my turn. My turn came, took my foot off the brake and hit the gas- nothing. Looked down and a message was coming from the top-center of the drivers screen saying something about failing to restart and needing to shift and restart. Usually I hear the engine restart, but I had the stereo pretty cranked, which I usually donít.

So then, in a panic I shifted to park and tried restarting- all the startup/idiot lights were coming on and my gauges were going all the way up and back down, but the car wasnít even cranking. At this point I had a chorus of horns behind me- put the flashers on. Tried two more times and it finally started and I just took off and drove home. I got no error messages and the damn stop/start system was still active as soon as I got the engine running again. And every time I had tried starting it, before it cranked, all these different messages from the top-center of the screen kept popping up.

I let it stop the engine a couple times when I got back to my driveway and it fired right up like usual.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Iím seeing some examples in the XC90 forum and it seems like it might be related to a bad battery, or of course, software. But the posts Iím seeing there are from a couple years ago and I would hope the software has been figured out across the fleet at this point. This car already has 2 unresolvable problems; it doesnít need a 3rd.

1. I always recommend filming these problems (break out the smart phone). And then when you take into service, you can show Volvo what happened.

2. Some of these gremlins are harder to replicate than others. I'd start by taking your vehicle in for service and seeing if any codes were thrown. They might start by replacing the start / stop battery or checking for an electrical issue. That'd be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      1. I always recommend filming these problems (break out the smart phone). And then when you take into service, you can show Volvo what happened.

2. Some of these gremlins are harder to replicate than others. I'd start by taking your vehicle in for service and seeing if any codes were thrown. They might start by replacing the start / stop battery or checking for an electrical issue. That'd be my guess.
      For sure, next time Iíll be ready with my iPhone. It just really caught me by surprise and my only focus was on making the beeping behind me stop and getting out of traffic.

I guess I have no choice but to bring it in to the dealer this week. I was really hoping I could push any further repairs out to the 10k service, but Iím only at 2k now... theyíll cringe for sure when they see me pull in.

Last edited by dpothier; 10-27-2019 at 08:24 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Breaking out your iPhone when the honking starts behind you might not be prudent...

One day it will just stop working and they'll want an outrageou$ amount of money for a battery, which you can decline and just enjoy life with out the Volvo Beta Auto Start Stop (B/A/S/S).
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

The Start/Stop isn't supposed to work if the battery State of Charge is below a certain level. That said, I have had customers who came in with similar concerns. I wasn't able to verify it. I would test drive it but Start/Stop wouldn't work. Then I checked the batteries and one or both failed. Replaced the failed batteries, reset the BMS, made sure software was up to date and test drove and everything functioned properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      The Start/Stop isn't supposed to work if the battery State of Charge is below a certain level. That said, I have had customers who came in with similar concerns. I wasn't able to verify it. I would test drive it but Start/Stop wouldn't work. Then I checked the batteries and one or both failed. Replaced the failed batteries, reset the BMS, made sure software was up to date and test drove and everything functioned properly.
      Would you say that the auto-start/stop feature in cars is a bad idea? That it isn't good to keep turning the engine on and off many, many times a day in usual urban commuting traffic? That it'd be better to keep the auto-start/stop option turned off, so that the engine remains on when doing lots of stops and starts?

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      Would you say that the auto-start/stop feature in cars is a bad idea? That it isn't good to keep turning the engine on and off many, many times a day in usual urban commuting traffic? That it'd be better to keep the auto-start/stop option turned off, so that the engine remains on when doing lots of stops and starts?
      It's for emissions. The overall emissions benefits depend on the driver. My personal opinion is I don't care for the feature.

It's for emissions. The overall emissions benefits depend on the driver. My personal opinion is I don't care for the feature.
      Yeah, I know it's for emissions. That's not my question. My question is: from a tech point-of-view, is it a bad idea to keep auto-start/stop ON in lots of stop-and-go traffic, due to wear on engine parts, etc.? Forget about emissions for what I'm asking; I'm asking about the health of the car, not the health of the surrounding air.

I wouldn't worry about the health of the car in general. If the engine is cold, it won't work. So they are warm starts. The only concern might be the starter, which they say can handle it. Whether it can handle it or not, less starts on a starter is less wear.

Thanks for the info Tech- glad to hear it was easily resolved in the cases you saw. Iím pretty bothered that safeguards built into the software didnít prevent the system from activating if it didnít think it could restart the engine.

I just have it turned off for now.

I never enabled the feature and never plan to.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

I was actually really getting into it until that happened. It took some getting used to, but itís much smoother and faster in the Ď19s than the older models.

My around-town fuel mileage definitely benefited from having it on.

Same Experience Yesterday 10/26

This exact thing happened to my partner yesterday morning in our 2018 XC60 and was frightening. She had come up to a two lane highway from a side street on a downhill, proceeded to remove her foot from the brake to turn onto the highway and nothing happened. The car rolled out into traffic since the sidestreet was a hill. Sitting in the middle of the road, she first tried shifting to reverse to back up with no luck. After trying that she put the car in park, shut it off, turned it back on and back in drive where the engine turned on. This whole thing happened in the middle of the road and we're really lucky there was no cross-traffic.

After talking about it, she mentioned that there was a message friday or saturday about a recent software update that had completed when she turned the car on. We're not 100% sure it was before or after the incident.

Either way we're both frightened by this and don't feel comfortable using the feature anymore. If there had been cross-traffic things could have ended up much worse...

This happened to our '16 XC90. Sometimes it wouldn't start in the morning but it took a dozen or so tries to finally work. When you try to turn the car on, it was just a click or two and then nothing.

It was the starter that needed replacing which isn't great for a 3 year old vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      I've had mixed feelings about this feature from the start when I took delivery of my 2017 V60. The only time I find it practical is when approaching traffic lights which have just turned red, knowing I will be stopped for most of the light cycle. When approaching stop signs, traffic circles, parking spaces, or when pulling into my garage, anywhere that you may do a good deal of slowing inching the vehicle forward, it needs to be turned off. I wish the off switch would have been located more conveniently (maybe on the wheel) so I wouldn't need to take my eye off the road for so long as I use it a LOT! From the time I got my car I have wondered why a car which can read speed limit signs and show them in the IP cannot identify traffic lights and activate this feature specifically for that situation.

Over on the 2011-2018 forum I posted my experiences this week with a failed starter fusible link on my car which occurred at 51,006 miles, just past the warranty, causing the car to die while in motion (a potentially dangerous situation). I had to have it towed to the dealer. After getting the car back (and paying the dealer $225) I did a little research and found that my car was supposed to be part of a recall I was never notified of. The recall solution was to increase the amp rating of the part. Volvo's records say that my car had had this repair done at the port yet the failed part that came off the car (I demanded it) was rated at 220 amps and the one they replaced it with is 250. Still waiting for Volvo customer service to respond before I file a complaint with NHTSA.

That problems with stop/start are still occurring on cars newer than mine suggests that this feature still is not fully baked. I wish I could opt to have the feature default to off when the car is started as my wife and I both use the car and I'd like for the starter to last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      I never enabled the feature and never plan to.
      This is the first feature that I will make sure is off as soon as I get my car.

Quote Originally Posted by hey_wayno View Post
      This exact thing happened to my partner yesterday morning in our 2018 XC60 and was frightening. She had come up to a two lane highway from a side street on a downhill, proceeded to remove her foot from the brake to turn onto the highway and nothing happened. The car rolled out into traffic since the sidestreet was a hill. Sitting in the middle of the road, she first tried shifting to reverse to back up with no luck. After trying that she put the car in park, shut it off, turned it back on and back in drive where the engine turned on. This whole thing happened in the middle of the road and we're really lucky there was no cross-traffic.

After talking about it, she mentioned that there was a message friday or saturday about a recent software update that had completed when she turned the car on. We're not 100% sure it was before or after the incident.

Either way we're both frightened by this and don't feel comfortable using the feature anymore. If there had been cross-traffic things could have ended up much worse...
      This easily could have been the case with me too- luckily the intersection was flat, but I live in a hilly area and there have been lots of times my car was already rolling while it was restarting.

This is one of those systems that shouldnít go anywhere near a production car until itís fully tested and validated. I read through the manual and it says that if you have the stereo turned way up, or there are any other large draws on the electrical system then it wonít activate the start stop system. Yet, it did exactly what it said it wouldnít here.

And while the battery may have a fault or something, it has never seemed that the battery is low on charge. The car cranks quickly and fires up really quick. Iím surprised that it wouldnít even try to start when this happened. There was no clicking or anything to suggest it was trying.

And while the battery may have a fault or something, it has never seemed that the battery is low on charge. The car cranks quickly and fires up really quick. Iím surprised that it wouldnít even try to start when this happened. There was no clicking or anything to suggest it was trying.
      It's the secondary battery specifically for this system which fails, not the main start/stop battery (usually).
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      It's the secondary battery specifically for this system which fails, not the main start/stop battery (usually).
      But the secondary only supplies accessories with power while the engine is off, right? And the main battery is always responsible for cranking?

But the secondary only supplies accessories with power while the engine is off, right? And the main battery is always responsible for cranking?

Both battery are monitored by software and could be the reason not to enable start/stop when it doesn't meet required condition.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

FWIW, I've had S/S enabled in my P3 for all three years I had it. I liked it too. Mostly because it always worked and I never had an issue.

In my SPA S60, I turned it off the moment I got it, and I'm never turning it back on.
      In my next SPA car after the 2018 XC60 I'll be turning it off permanently as well. (I drive XC60 in Individual mode with S/S turned off)
      I drive mostly highway, so it makes no sense for me anyway.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

I understand peopleís opinions that they donít like it. Me when I pull up to a situation just like that I turn the system off just not to lose that second or two when you need to get going.

That aside I donít think that a car with this system is any more dangerous then a car without it. In a traditional car if you have a battery failure your engine will also turn of at low idle condition. Sure one can argue the more technology circuits we place in a car we make it more ďdangerousĒ or prone to issues but data and staticís show otherwise.

Loose terminals is normally what causes issues like this, this could cause the battery to fail but if you address this sooner then later you are good to go.

If you did not had a chance to go to the dealership I would recommend a visit soon. tell them to check all the batteries, connections, and the charging system.

Good luck and keep us posted
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      I understand peopleís opinions that they donít like it. Me when I pull up to a situation just like that I turn the system off just not to lose that second or two when you need to get going.

That aside I donít think that a car with this system is any more dangerous then a car without it. In a traditional car if you have a battery failure your engine will also turn of at low idle condition. Sure one can argue the more technology circuits we place in a car we make it more ďdangerousĒ or prone to issues but data and staticís show otherwise.

Loose terminals is normally what causes issues like this, this could cause the battery to fail but if you address this sooner then later you are good to go.

If you did not had a chance to go to the dealership I would recommend a visit soon. tell them to check all the batteries, connections, and the charging system.

Good luck and keep us posted

I just scheduled an appointment for next Wednesday. Iíve asked that they test both batteries and check all connections.

Iím also having them try to figure out why the car still shakes above 65, fix any loose weather stripping and replace the noisy front brake dust shields- so itís likely to be in there for a few days at least.

Thanks for everyoneís replyís and helpful tips. Iíll update this post once I know whatís going on.

Good luck and yes please let us know the outcome.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

I just wanted to update this post- I had to reschedule my appointment at the dealer until next week due to work.

Iím shooting for early/middle of next week. Iíve been leaving the start stop system off mostly and havenít had any issues with starting the car since.

I dropped the car off this morning with the dealer. Theyíre checking out the charging system and batteries- Iím hoping itís something as simple as a faulty battery.

Unfortunately the battery is only one of a handful of problems, so it could be a day or two before I hear back. Theyíre also looking at my weather stripping issues, brake noise, shaking 19Ē pirelli tires, static/flickering of map in drivers screen, and hopefully some software updates to eliminate the lag I get when hitting the gas from a stop.

Iíll post updates as I hear from the dealer.

Wow a long list good luck sir!!
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Well I finally heard from the dealer this past Friday afternoon, but didnít really get a lot of info from them. They said they needed to keep the car through the weekend, at least, and were waiting on some brake parts.

The SA sounded a little flustered by the amount of issues with my car, but if I understood him correctly they didnít find a bad battery but they are following instructions from Volvo and applying software updates to try to remedy the start/stop issue. And he said something about opening another case with Volvo.

So Iím guessing that means theyíre seeing a problem- but it wasnít really clear over the phone...

@Tech- would the car have stored any error codes in the car when the start stop system failed? Itís didnít throw any dash lights and it didnít save a message in Sensus, I just got a bunch of messages while it was happening then everything went back to normal.

This has happened to my wife as well, but we figured out what causes it, and it's operator error. :P

We were able to replicate it by coming to a stop (engine stops), then going back and forth from brake to gas too quickly and too aggressively. (aka: digital driving) Every time that would result in stalling/cutting out the motor. I believe this is a fail safe that the car is doing because the driver is so quickly going from brake to gas to brake again, that the electric starter is still engaged, and it's killing everything to save the flexplate and starter motor.

Moral of the story? Be an analog driver. Transition smoothly from one pedal to the other and don't mash the pedals.

Well I finally heard from the dealer this past Friday afternoon, but didn’t really get a lot of info from them. They said they needed to keep the car through the weekend, at least, and were waiting on some brake parts.

The SA sounded a little flustered by the amount of issues with my car, but if I understood him correctly they didn’t find a bad battery but they are following instructions from Volvo and applying software updates to try to remedy the start/stop issue. And he said something about opening another case with Volvo.

So I’m guessing that means they’re seeing a problem- but it wasn’t really clear over the phone...

@Tech- would the car have stored any error codes in the car when the start stop system failed? It’s didn’t throw any dash lights and it didn’t save a message in Sensus, I just got a bunch of messages while it was happening then everything went back to normal.

There likely would be codes stored, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      FWIW, I've had S/S enabled in my P3 for all three years I had it. I liked it too. Mostly because it always worked and I never had an issue.

In my SPA S60, I turned it off the moment I got it, and I'm never turning it back on.
      In my next SPA car after the 2018 XC60 I'll be turning it off permanently as well. (I drive XC60 in Individual mode with S/S turned off)
      I drive mostly highway, so it makes no sense for me anyway.
      I have been driving the Drive-E Volvos since they debuted, more than 5 years ago; I have driven over 30 different cars for an average of 11,000 to 12,000 miles each. Never had such a problem occur, not invalidating of course what some people have experienced here.

I know that this feature may take some time to get used to. However, itís there for a reason and if we all care a bit more for the environment, we wouldnít be turning it off. Every second of our cars not emitting exhaust (no matter how ďcleanĒ our exhaust fumes are) makes a difference.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      However, itís there for a reason and if we all care a bit more for the environment, we wouldnít be turning it off. Every second of our cars not emitting exhaust (no matter how ďcleanĒ our exhaust fumes are) makes a difference.
      I flip it into Eco when I'm in Philly, for example. However, during my daily commute, no thanks. I stop a total of two times, and both times I have to accelerate to about 60 MPH from a stop sign. S/S is just not viable in that situation.

My wife, for example, has it enabled in both of our cars in her profiles. Her commute is more city/hwy combined.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      I flip it into Eco when I'm in Philly, for example. However, during my daily commute, no thanks. I stop a total of two times, and both times I have to accelerate to about 60 MPH from a stop sign. S/S is just not viable in that situation.

My wife, for example, has it enabled in both of our cars in her profiles. Her commute is more city/hwy combined.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      The key is to find the right pace to a point where you slightly roll and the car never stops. However, even when I have to come to a compete stop, itís not a problem, just avoid mashing the gas pedal immediately, start normally and a fraction of a second hit it harder and you can accelerate without any issues.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

I do not find that having the start/stop inhibits my driving or otherwise makes me feel unsafe. To the contrary, I wish that it was easier for my start/stop to engage. Perhaps it is because I came from driving a hybrid for the past 8 model years.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

I had a 2020 T5 loaner for a few days and I didnít mind the start/stop system at all. It just seems wasteful to me to be idling unnecessarily. Iím flooring it in Dynamic off the red lights on the highways so Iím making up for it when stopped.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast