Anyone else think the heater in the T8 barely works?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anyone else think the heater in the T8 barely works?

My 20 heater is barely working and I brought it for service and they said that is normal for the T8's. HUH? I don't get it. The T8 is simply a glorified Hybrid and runs mostly on gas to be honest. So why can a $70k car have basic decent heat in the winter? beyond me. .. And isn't it freezing in Sweden? Seriously, this makes no sense on any level to me. And please don't start with the preconditioning nonsense. I simply want to get in the car, turn on the heat and have it work like in any other car in the world since the invention of the heater. I don't think that is too much to expect, and quite frankly even from a 100% electric car. It works in my son's Tesla! Anyway rant over...

(as a sub text, mid 30's drive for 20 minutes and the heat blowing cold as ice. Turned up the fan to 5 and set heat temp at "Hi", and then after a delay, trickle of luke warm air. Seriously? Normal? idiots!)
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      My 20 heater is barely working and I brought it for service and they said that is normal for the T8's. HUH? I don't get it. The T8 is simply a glorified Hybrid and runs mostly on gas to be honest. So why can a $70k car have basic decent heat in the winter? beyond me. .. And isn't it freezing in Sweden? Seriously, this makes no sense on any level to me. And please don't start with the preconditioning nonsense. I simply want to get in the car, turn on the heat and have it work like in any other car in the world since the invention of the heater. I don't think that is too much to expect, and quite frankly even from a 100% electric car. It works in my son's Tesla! Anyway rant over...
      Should of bought a Tesla then I guess?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      CURRENT: 2019 Crystal White Pearl S60 T5 R-DESIGN w/ P*

PAST: 2012 Black S60 T5 w/Blonde Interior

Quote Originally Posted by GonS60 View Post
      Should of bought a Tesla then I guess?
      ha.. or move to Florida like you and call it a day!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

ha.. or move to Florida like you and call it a day!
      Man every year these summers drag out so long. Starting to think I went to far south lol.

(as a sub text, mid 30's drive for 20 minutes and the heat blowing cold as ice. Turned up the fan to 5 and set heat temp at "Hi", and then after a delay, trickle of luke warm air. Seriously? Normal? idiots!)
      Is your HVCH enabled? Settings -> Climate -> Additional Heater
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

I can't speak to the T8 specifically. I've found the heating in my T6 to be more than sufficient. Last week, I had to turn my air off driving in to work a few days because the heated seat/steering wheel on the lowest settings were making me too hot. FWIW - I haven't changed the usual temperature settings, but wearing much warmer clothing made me hotter in the car. Even cracked the sunroof one day. Temps were in the low-mid 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      +1 for additional heater being turned on as the manual explains.

Also, my HVSC had to be replaced once. A trip to the dealer would address that and proper use of the drive modes. For instance, PURE mode minimizes the use of Climate to conserve the battery.

A thorough read of the owner’s manual is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      +1 for additional heater being turned on as the manual explains.

Also, my HVSC had to be replaced once. A trip to the dealer would address that and proper use of the drive modes. For instance, PURE mode minimizes the use of Climate to conserve the battery.

A thorough read of the owner’s manual is a good thing.

+ 1 for reading manuals, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      yes, but that seems only to do with pre-conditioning as per the manual. In any case it doesn't seem to make much of a difference if any.

Loaner car T-5 was so hot I had to turn the heat off. I had similar heater problems with my old 17 xc90 T8. The 19 xc60 was a bit better, but this 20's car's heater is just a dud, and I don't really like much heat and rarely turn it on, so it must be pretty bad. oh well...
      Last edited by xgman; 11-19-2019 at 01:49 PM.

+1 the +1 for RTFM
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

I have noticed it seems to take some time to warm up....I just figured it was because I am in PURE mode 99% of the time.....
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

yes, but that seems only to do with pre-conditioning as per the manual. In any case it doesn't seem to make much of a difference if any.
      No, it applies to operating the vehicle too. If ICE hasn't run yet (no residual heat) and the electric heater is turned OFF, you'll get zero heat from the vents. I've verified this in my T8.

I live in Texas (mild winters) and keep my T8 in the garage (~60F), so I turn it OFF for additional electric range.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

xgman if you drive your car mainly on gas, you should have hot air inside your car.

If you drive mainly on electric, just turn on de "Additional Heater", and it will work, i had the same issue, but there´s a big manual, i know... but it´s all there!!

I realize that in PURE mode it takes more time to warm up, it´s the "eco climate".

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      +1 the +1 for RTFM
      Did and have the extra heat checked, and STILL have the problem. No disrespect intended, but I really think this is all nonsense as far as what we should expect a car to do. Start car, turn on heat, be comfortable. If a car can't do that it isn't worth buying. I shouldn't have to precondition and select modes and read manuals to simply turn on the finggin heat! feel free to disagree, but i think the heater in this car stinks! I'm still keeping it though. Seriously, I have had two other T8's that worked ok. I think this one has some weird defect or glitch in the heater. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
      Last edited by xgman; 11-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Did and still problem.
      Dang! Hopefully when you take it in there will an error code, a bad EVSC or something. If not, consider requesting a re-calibration of the Climate system based on the lack of heat, et al. I think there was a TJ on Climate re-calibration from several months ago. Just kind of grabbing straws. I hope you get it straightened out at the dealership.

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Did and have the extra heat checked, and STILL have the problem. No disrespect intended, but I really think this is all nonsense as far as what we should expect a car to do. Start car, turn on heat, be comfortable. If a car can't do that it isn't worth buying. I shouldn't have to precondition and select modes and read manuals to simply turn on the finggin heat! feel free to disagree, but i think the heater in this car stinks! I'm still keeping it though. Seriously, I have had two other T8's that worked ok. I think this one has some weird defect or glitch in the heater. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
      Wish you the best, hope you find a solution that works for you. If not and find a brand that meets your standards, but thats the way most t8's work. What frosty climate do you come from?
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Even on the coldest days (close to 0°F) my T8 has been comfortable in just a few minutes, and very comfortable within at most 5 or 6 minutes. And if I turn on the seat and steering wheel heat it's perfectly fine within a minute or two. So at least mine is working as it should.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Did and have the extra heat checked, and STILL have the problem.
      Does preheating a.k.a parking climate work with VOC/manually? If not then the problem is definetly in HVCH (high voltage coolant heater). If you live in nordic countries or in the UK then there is petrol operated heater (webasto/ebersprächer). I got mine from Italy and live in Finland with HVCH and it didn´t work until bunch of error codes were remowed and the heater-software was updated directly (the fender must be removed to get to the port).

I'll just live with it, but it seems needlessly insufficient compared to a T6. I don't use pre-heating and don't mind if it takes 5 minutes to warm the car after starting. I think what started this problem off for me was a glitch in the system where no heat came out for over a hour of normal driving, (temp low 30's) so went to the dealer and then of course it started working again albeit luke warm. Again, my 19 T8 worked much better for some reason and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the 20.

I'll just live with it, but it seems needlessly insufficient compared to a T6. I don't use pre-heating and don't mind if it takes 5 minutes to warm the car after starting. I think what started this problem off for me was a glitch in the system where no heat came out for over a hour of normal driving, (temp low 30's) so went to the dealer and then of course it started working again albeit luke warm. Again, my 19 T8 worked much better for some reason and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the 20.
      They didn´t find anything wrong with mine also, until I asked directly from the factory for checklist and provided it to my local dealer. The problem is that they´ve never seen one with an electric heater since all the cars come with the petrol heater so they didn´t know what to look for. Error codes from the feater don´t show in "normal" reading. They must be checked directly from the heater circuit board or something...

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements